Thread: Rodrigo Duterte

In Uranus
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Dumbterte
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Idioterte
    He is clearly a dumbfuck in the same vain as Trump. He wants to be a strongman but then he sucks Chinese cock. What an imbecile. I guess PI can surrender their claims to the SCS now.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I saw an FB post on a friend's computer:

Goodbye Spam, Hello Ma Ling!

Complete with pics of Spam (the canned meat) and Ma Ling. Ma ling is a brand of canned meat loaf from China. It comes in a round can - google is your friend. It took me a few seconds to realize what the post meant, which is basically: Goodbye US, Hello China! Heh.

En route
    Last Online
    24-02-2024 @ 04:47 PM
    The problem is the Ma Ling is not to be trusted, is probably full of poisons and will most likely make you sick.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Will we have a new "button" here to report Ma Ling?...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Start a thread on Ma Ling pies.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    08-02-2023 @ 01:23 PM
    Is Duterte going to have an accident in the near future.?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Today he has reversed himself on his seperation from the US.
    Can this guy destroy the courts and the opposition like Maduro is attempting in Venezuala?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:05 PM
    US 'baffled' by Duterte divorce talk
    21 Oct 2016 at 18:29

The United States says it is "baffled" by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's announcement of a "separation" from his country's longstanding ally, and will seek an explanation when a senior US official visits Manila this weekend.

Duterte's latest anti-US remarks, made amid a four-day visit to China that ended on Friday, are "inexplicably at odds with the very close relationship" between the two countries, State Department spokesman John Kirby said.

Daniel Russel, US assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs, will be seeking clarification when he makes a previously planned trip to Manila on the weekend, Kirby said. "We are going to be seeking an explanation of exactly what the president meant when he talked about separation from the US."

At a business forum on Thursday in Beijing, Duterte announced his "separation from the United States, both militarily ... but in economics also" and said his country would be better off aligning itself with China and possibly Russia as well. "I've realigned myself in your ideological flow and maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to (President Vladimir) Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world -- China, Philippines, and Russia. It's the only way." His remarks came a day after he told the Filipino community in Beijing, regarding the United States, "Time to say goodbye, my friend. Your stay in my country was for your own benefit."

Kirby said the United States was not the only country baffled by Duterte's rhetoric. "We have heard from many of our friends and partners in the region who are likewise confused about where this is going, and also, we believe, are trying to learn more on their own about what it portends," he said.

A Japanese Embassy official in Manila said Japan was keen to hear Duterte's explanation about his new foreign policy when he pays a three-day visit to Japan starting on Tuesday.

Duterte, who came to power in June, has been distancing the Philippines from the United States in the wake of US criticism of extrajudicial killings of suspected drug dealers and addicts amid his ongoing anti-drug campaign.

In his remarks on Thursday, Duterte also accused the United States of "idiotic arrogance" and suggested it was losing influence in Southeast Asia. Cambodia and Laos are already allies of China and now the Philippines is "veering towards China", he added.

China, he said, "does not go around insulting people, insisting on policies to follow them and trying to control the money of the world through the IMF and the World Bank".

Despite Duterte's pivot to Beijing, a Philippine poll released Tuesday shows that three-quarters of the Filipinos trust the United States and many of them distrust China. According to the poll conducted by Social Weather Stations on Sept 24-27 among 1,200 adults nationwide, 76% of them had "much trust" in the United States, while only 22% felt the same way about China and 55% had "little trust" in China.
    Independent observers questioned whether Duterte would be able to make his new policies stick.

“Symbolically none of this is good for the US, but in concrete terms the US has thick skin,” said Malcolm Cook, a senior fellow at the ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute in Singapore. “If the Duterte government starts to restrict US access to Philippine bases or something like that, then the US will have a problem.”

While Duterte’s cabinet members often seek to tone down his remarks -- a routine they followed again on Thursday -- the president has kept repeating them. In his speech to the Chinese business leaders, Duterte also said he was considering plans to require US visitors to the Philippines to obtain a visa.
    In a statement issued after Duterte’s speech, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez and Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia said the cabinet would move strongly and swiftly towards regional economic integration. “We will maintain relations with the West, but we desire stronger integration with our neighbours,” the statement said.

Earlier on Thursday, China announced a resumption of bilateral talks on contested territory in the South China Sea, an issue that had previously pushed the Philippines closer to America. Liu Zhenmin, China’s vice-minister for foreign affairs, hailed a “new stage of maritime cooperation".

In his first trip to China since taking office in late June, Duterte refrained from dwelling on the territorial disputes that had damaged bilateral ties. The two sides signed $24 billion worth of business, aid and loan agreements

US 'baffled' by Duterte divorce talk | Bangkok Post: news

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    @humbert - yeah, in his arrival speech, Duterte "clarified" some issues re: the US separation. I think his cabinet members & advisers will try to talk some sense into him, in the next few days/weeks.

Re: the courts, he can only destroy the courts or opposition if he declares Martial Law, which I think won't happen. So many ppl are against ML, and they'll stop him.

On the brighter side, I think local governments are more orderly now. In both my hometown & worktown, there are curfews, less crime, and a 10 pm limit to karaoke! That's good, since before, my neighbors would sing until 1 or 2pm!

I think on the local level, things are better. But on the national or international level, they're not. It really is confusing, as Davis has said.

Last Online
    @
    I'd love to see JUSMAGPHIL and the corrupt branch of the VA in Manila shut down. And stop the port visits by US Navy ships permanently once and for all.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post

stop the port visits by US Navy ships permanently once and for all.
    We did fine without them for a decade after leaving Subic. I agree.

last farang standing
    Last Online
    15-03-2024 @ 01:44 PM
    USA aid to the the Philippines in the last 6 years: $1.2 billlion. China to Philippines:$4 million. Duturde has never heard the saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". I believe Dudturde has told USA basically they can shove their aid. Thats what the yanks should do. They could give it to me. I like Americans.(but i couldn't eat a whole one).

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post

stop the port visits by US Navy ships permanently once and for all.
    We did fine without them for a decade after leaving Subic. I agree.
    Made plenty of port visits to PI between 1979-1984, but none from 1984 until I retired in 2007.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I've been to the Philippines many times for business. It always struck me reading the local press and interacting with locals how prone to scapegoating they seemed. With his 80% popularity it appears to be a match made in heaven.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    I've been to the Philippines many times for business. It always struck me reading the local press and interacting with locals how prone to scapegoating they seemed. With his 80% popularity it appears to be a match made in heaven.
    Went through the Navy's process to get married to a Filipina back in 80/81 and then thought better of it. About 2-3 weeks ago I got a ping from her on FB. 35 years later and still pissed off about it.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Slightly interesting that while the approval rate of most senior government has risen by 5 points or so in the past several weeks, his has declines by 5 points.

Saw a comment on a China article today. "Quit fucking up foreign relations and fix the fucking traffic!"

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    Duterte's term is scheduled to end in 2022; Xi's may go on until 2023.
    Xi is clearly after a legacy; Duterte behaves like he think's he's in an American film.

My take is that Duterte is after a bung from the Chinese to shower his supporters with effective bribes, a bit like the Shinawatra "help for farmers" schemes.

The Chinese, in turn, are looking for anything to divide and rule ASEAN, and isolate and lean on disputers of its optimistic claims on the Champa Sea (= SC Sea).

What his reception in Tokyo is going to be like after this swaggering will be fascinating. The soft power Japan exerts over SEAsia is much greater than China.

The reality on the ground is that the PhilMil likes it's links with the US, and all the access to the best equipment, and training etc... I find it hard to imagine Duterte has the leverage (even if his hands are on the levers) to compel the PhilMil to switch sides to China - a country they have long regarded as not an ally - they can simply ignore him, remove him, and reboot. The nationalism Duterte has stoked up is at odds with the idea of being a tributary state of China, and acceding to China's territorial demands on what the military regard as their country's territory, and their duty to defend.

The fundamentals of the situation really don't support Duterte's rhetoric, and he seems increasingly likely to become an embarrassment to Filipinos, and I'm not sure he'll last the full 6-year term he was elected for. It all looks reminscent of recent years in Thailand, and we know that panned out.

Duterte has given almost half his public addresses as president to a military audience -- far more than his predecessors. The 71-year-old leader’s refreshed stump speech includes promises to double troop salaries, improve health care for soldiers and secure modern equipment.
    Duterte Woos Army as Opponents Warn of Discontent in Ranks - Bloomberg

The Philippines and Thailand are not acting like US treaty allies are supposed to.
    countries like the Philippines and Thailand can react violently to criticism of their human rights performance. They are then prepared to make the political and diplomatic dimensions of their relationships with offending great powers very unpleasant. This includes through public overtures to alternative suitors like China and Russia who, being illiberal themselves, are refreshingly unlikely to offer criticism on the human rights front.
    A shifting international power structure is changing the way Thailand and the Philippines balance between the United States and China. Cooperation with the United States offers access to desirable technology and training, as well as a shield against China, but neither state wants to become the patsy for US–China rivalry nor a proxy battleground for the United States. Yet neither wants Chinese hegemony either. To get around this, these states frequently compartmentalise different components of their bilateral relationships.
    despite Duterte’s bluster, a scheduled joint air force exercise with the United States recently occurred as planned, and the threat to cancel Philippines–US maritime patrols applies only to patrols in the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone and not the territorial sea. The number of US forces who might be asked to withdraw from involvement in Philippines counterinsurgency operations is also quite small. And Duterte’s threat to buy arms from Russia and China is straight out of the Thai playbook, which is an act of asserting sovereignty and much less a guide to alignment.
    What?s wrong with the United States? Southeast Asian allies? | East Asia Forum

Duterte won the presidency on a populist platform promising "real change" and inclusive growth, which means that everyone benefits from economic growth. Now critics are saying they are getting tired of the administration touting the war on drugs as an achievement and calling Duterte "a one trick pony."
    In an article in the South China Morning Post, Steven Keithley wrote that the drug wars are merely a smokescreen masking Duterte's inability to make hard decisions on economic plans and territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
    The lack of direction is leading to investor jitters and confusion, particularly in the mining sector.
    Rating agency Standard & Poor's (S&P) affirmed the Philippines' investment grade rating but flagged concerns about "rising uncertainties surrounding the stability, predictability, and accountability of its new government."
    Is Duterte presidency affecting the Philippine economy? | Asia | DW.COM | 10.10.2016

At 6.6 percent, the Filipino economy's current GDP growth rate is the second highest in Asia, behind only China's. That growth is projected to continue over the next few years, in part because Filipinos are in a "sweet spot" demographically: the Philippines has the youngest population in East Asia, which translates into lower costs to support a younger workforce and less economic drag from retirees. Last month, Fitch Ratings (one of the world's three major credit rating firms) upgraded the Philippines to a "BBB-" with a stable outlook -- the first time the Philippines has ever received investment-grade status and a huge vote of confidence in the Filipino economy.
    In 2012, Forbes Asia announced that the collective wealth of the 40 richest Filipino families grew $13 billion during the 2010-2011 year, to $47.4 billion--an increase of 37.9 percent. Filipino economist Cielito Habito calculated that the increased wealth of those families was equivalent in value to a staggering 76.5 percent of the country's overall increase in GDP at the time. This income disparity was far and away the highest in Asia
    widespread corruption in local government, which makes it difficult or impossible for many Filipinos to launch small businesses. (In 2012, Transparency International, a non-governmental organization that monitors and reports a comparative listing of corruption worldwide, gave the Philippines a rank of 105 out of 176, tied with Mali and Algeria, among others.) Low levels of investment also suppress business growth: the Philippines' investment-to-GDP ratio currently stands at 19.7 percent. By comparison, the investment rate is 33 percent in Indonesia, 27 percent in Thailand, and 24 percent in Malaysia.
    huge sectors of Filipino industry (such as banking, telecommunications, and property development) are almost entirely monopolized by a few elite political families, most of whom have been in power since the Spanish colonial era. And despite wide-reaching government reforms from the 1980s, those industries remain effective oligarchies or cartels that vastly outperform small businesses. According to a paper released by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) account for roughly 99 percent of Filipino firms. However, those SMEs only account for 35 percent of national output
    "Is the economy growing here?" said Josefa Ramirez, 31, who earns roughly 123 pesos ($3) a day selling bottles of water and soda from a cart in Manila. "I didn't know that. For me, things feel the same as they always did."
    The Grim Reality Behind the Philippines' Economic Growth - The Atlantic

He has little experience of national politics, let alone international affairs, having been mayor of Davao, a city of 1.5m or so, since 1988 (apart from a brief stint as vice-mayor to his daughter and three years as a congressman). Since becoming president, he has threatened to withdraw from the United Nations and to declare martial law. He idolises Ferdinand Marcos, a former dictator who did impose martial law. He says he wants to give Marcos a hero’s burial in Manila. All this, naturally, frightens both local and foreign investors and threatens to undermine the Philippines’ newly acquired status as South-East Asia’s economic star.
    The Philippines under Rodrigo Duterte: Sceptred bile | The Economist

The Philippines depends on the U.S. not just for military cooperation but also for economic support. American firms have invested a lot in the electronic industry. Remittances from the U.S. are large, and a lot of business process outsourcing (BPO) is also by American firms into the Philippines," pointed out Trinh Nguyen, Asia-Pacific economist at investment bank Natixis. Remittances and the BPO sector are key pillars of the Philippine economy, contributing 10 and 6 percent, respectively, to annual gross domestic product. So if Duterte really did end economic ties, as indicated, it could significantly hit the domestic economy in terms of trade and labor movements
    Duterte risks hurting Philippine economy, Asia politics if he 'breaks up' with US

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    It appears that whatever differences China and Philippine have, they are both agreeable to sign agreements which presumably is of benefit to each.

Allegedly 13 or 15, not a great deal of detail in the China press. One hopes he has something to quieten to his detractors when he safely returns to Philippine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Cow
    USA aid to the the Philippines in the last 6 years: $1.2 billlion.
    Do you have a breakdown on the contents of the Amerisatni and Chinese aid?

One wonders what % of the "aid" was spent in the Philippines and brought jobs to the Filipinos. Most aid is spent in the "donor" country and the products are shipped, ready made and probably in the Amerstani aids case ready to slaughter.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh
    One wonders what % of the "aid" was spent in the Philippines and brought jobs to the Filipinos. Most aid is spent in the "donor" country and the products are shipped, ready made and probably in the Amerstani aids case ready to slaughter.
    Yes, one wonders. I supposee you have a link?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh
    Do you have a breakdown on the contents of the Amerisatni and Chinese aid? One wonders what % of the "aid" was spent in the Philippines and brought jobs to the Filipinos. Most aid is spent in the "donor" country and the products are shipped, ready made and probably in the Amerstani aids case ready to slaughter.
    So well written nobody would ever guess you have a chip on your shoulder the size of Mt Everest against the USA. This way it appeals to a bigger audience?

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    98 million Filipinos. 2 million live in the US. More than a million in the Philippines are employed by US companies. Pretty big bloc to piss off.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    So well written nobody would ever guess you have a chip on your shoulder the size of Mt Everest against the USA
    I think it's a dead giveaway when he use his stale 'Ameristani' line for the 400th time.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Got an Aussie mate employed by a large Filipino mining company, he,a getting nervous and so are they, the gigs up. Investor confidence is low, mostly because of the erratic Duturte guy. why do the flips keep voting with there emotions ? I really thought that this guy could make a difference because he wasn't part of the ogilarchy that has been predominate for decades, now I'm thinking he will send them back by about 20 years,

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2022 @ 09:17 AM
    The guy's a dumb ass, unreasonable, and is manifesting some pretty serious mental problems. He's not fit to run the country. He's destroying foreign policies and foreign relations that took time to build, by running his silly mouth. His opinions and new policies doesn't even reflect the stand of the majority of the people.
    I am so unlucky that if I fall into a barrel full of D*ick**s, I'd come out sucking my own thumb!

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker
    I really thought that this guy could make a difference because he wasn't part of the ogilarchy that has been predominate for decades
    Some people thought similar about Thaksin, look how well that worked out.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information