View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #38 (permalink)
jonnyenglish

jonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailandjonnyenglish is a splendid one to behold in Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlocker View Post
Good start Jonny, I like the pond layout. If you dont mind me asking, how will you keep it full or will you let it rise and fall naturally dependind on the season.

I'm considering something along those lines as far a placing a pond out back. We could keep it full with creek water and overflow to the same creek during the rains. I would prefer topping it off with well water as I'm afraid any fish in the pond may not taste verry good if in a stagnant pond. That being said the cost to run a pump for makeup water may be prohibitive.

Will you be running some type of aeration pump to keep oxygen levels up? Just curious.
Cheers Khun Fish, the water level will of course rise and fall, but I already have 3 sources of water on the land, a well, gov't water and water piped straight in from the reservoir.

Gov't water is a last resort, I'm always concerned about what comes out of the taps here...The reservoir water has all sorts of organic goodies in it, including insect and fish eggs, so will be using this to top up (have put in 4 taps of this water supply along the length of the property, one right next to the pond and already did a test before the rain started, it took 3 days to fill the pond from water table, but I won't be letting it drop that low again after the house is finished.)

Additionally, I'll be placing those large round traditional-looking rain catchment pots and guttering on the house, can use this water to top up too.

I'll be planting with oxygenating water-weeds into manageable baskets to help the fish, but also might consider a pump of sorts, hidden behind rocks and logs to circulate water and add more oxygen.. they are pretty cheap to run really, just stick it on a timer so that it only runs during the day. If it means not having a stagnant green pond with upside-down fish floating on top, then that's the way to go!
jonnyenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08412 seconds with 19 queries