View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
jonnyenglish

jonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forum
jonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forumjonnyenglish Thailand Expat on the Thailand travel forum
I think ponds/lakes are important for many reasons, including;

Tradition. Ponds are common in gardens in Thailand, as you can keep fish in there to eat (and frogs, insects, eels, tadpoles, and a whole bunch of other stuff all on the menu). Water on your property is also seen as good luck. Additionally I like to embrace and re-interpret the positive aspects of Thai culture wherever possible, so having a pond is a must.

Environment. Water is a cooling element in a garden, and although Chiang Mai has cool winters, as we have just experienced, the summers can be brutal. To sit in a sala next to a pond, sip on a beer.. ahhh

Design. A pond or standing water feature is a focal point to a garden, all things radiate out from it and is a very good starting point for a house plan, this is why I keep saying that I am making a garden with a house in it.Many plants only grow in or very near water, having a water feature will allow me to create a lushly planted oasis that I can plonk a house next to.

Functionality. If the water gets rationed (as it did in April), having a pond to fall back on as an alternative supply even if it's just to flush the loo or water the odd pot plant, it's better than now't!

I have looked at all sorts of ponds and lakes here in Thailand, some lined, some not, some look like industrial holding tanks, others look like they belong on a crazy golf putting course.

So here's my experimental pond design, I'm going for a controlled natural look:

Last edited by jonnyenglish : 03-10-2016 at 10:15 PM.
jonnyenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09758 seconds with 19 queries