Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodrigo Duterte

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The Philippines, driven by nationalistic, leftist politicians (many of whom are either dual US citizens or Green Card holders) has never quite figured out that the US doesn't really need them.

Subic and Clark were great bases, but the US survived leaving them in 1991 without breaking a sweat.

Joint military exercises here are nice, but the US has any number of other places in Asia, Thailand for one, in which to conduct them. If these are cancelled here, the Philippine military is the HUGE loser, as they lose the high-speed training, plus all the equipment the US Forces leave behind as it's cheaper to donate it than ship it home.

Duterte is a pro-Chinese leftist, has always been anti-US, and unless kept in check by saner heads, will once again end up screwing the country.

And the US will go, ok, and move on with the Philippines in the rear view mirror.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2022 @ 09:17 AM
    I agree with Davis Knolton. The United States do not need the Philippines, not even its strategic location. They already have many Southeast Asian allies. China on the other hand need the Philippines. Imagine having all those submarines and planes, but having no place to refuel before going West. Unless they've all switch to solar power, they're in deep shit without an ally in Southeast Asia.
    I am so unlucky that if I fall into a barrel full of D*ick**s, I'd come out sucking my own thumb!

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Subic and Clark were great bases, but the US survived leaving them in 1991 without breaking a sweat.
    Hmm... but then they've been very keen to get their boots back in under the guise of advisory cooperation, joint exercises, terrorist hunts & whatever else possible.

And the US will go, ok, and move on with the Philippines in the rear view mirror.
    The Phils are in a geographical key position, I doubt very much the US would be happy to see it get closer to China while being excluded.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn
    Imagine having all those submarines and planes, but having no place to refuel before going West. Unless they've all switch to solar power, they're in deep shit without an ally in Southeast Asia.
    Subs and carriers are nuclear and have unlimited range. Solar indeed.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Hmm... but then they've been very keen to get their boots back in under the guise of advisory cooperation, joint exercises, terrorist hunts & whatever else possible.

The Phils are in a geographical key position, I doubt very much the US would be happy to see it get closer to China while being excluded.
    Bases here are in the 'nice to have' category, not the 'needed' category.

The Philippines is sweating China, not the US.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    The bases were a cash cow for the local economy and everyone made out like a bandit, if it wasn't for piñatubo blowing it's fuse I suspect Clark airfield and subic naval base would of remained, but the lease agreement was up and the flips were demanding way to much to renew it, combine that with the American taxpayer who is wondering why they are supporting military bases around the world, good question is it needed? Cold wars over. I once read that at the time the US military were the second largest employer of people, first was San Miguel corporation . They have there finger in pies other than the tasty San Miguel beer, posters please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I spent a lot of time there and still love the place.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    the lease agreement was up and the flips were demanding way to much to renew it.
    My point exactly. They kept demanding more and more, falsely believing the US would cave. They were wrong. And Pinatubo put the final nail in the coffin.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker
    first was San Miguel corporation
    US military consumption of this fine product must have bumped sales up. I sure did my best.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    They knew they fucked up but wouldn't negotiate or back pedal. I guess the whole loss of face" thing doesn't only apply to Thailand or Lao. A damn shame really. Pretty sure it put fil am relations back by a lot of years, never mind, it's there country and they have to get on with it with or without foreign influence, they are proud people and I respect that, I'm in 2 minds about the duterte guy I liked him at first because he wasn't part of the oligarchy and usual suspects but lately he has been running his mouth to much and I'm thinking he is not the lee quan yu of Singapore fame that I think they need, truth is he,s coming across as a Dumb ass much the same as erap did. Time will tell

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^My early hopes are fading a bit as well.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Imagine having all those submarines and planes, but having no place to refuel before going West. Unless they've all switch to solar power, they're in deep shit without an ally in Southeast Asia.
    Do you seriously think there would be a nuclear war? Nukes..... They're like a dude with big balls, but without a dick!

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Ever heard of nuclear power?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Ever heard of nuclear power?
    Sure.

Ever heard of nuclear deterrence?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    First time I have actually watched a BBC news docu on Duterto and he appears to have a lazy eye and seemed drunk at his public speech.
    I expected somebody more charismatic.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    [QUOTE=GracelessFawn;3363658]
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Do you seriously think there would be a nuclear war? Nukes..... They're like a dude with big balls, but without a dick![/QUOTE

Oh my god.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    Oh my god.

Yes, it does appears some don't understand might equals rights, eh?

Rights are guaranteed by the ability to say "it's up to you".

I came across this a week or so ago when there was a feud between the leaders of the two countries.

Obama-Duterte Blow Up: What the Corporate Media Doesn?t Get | The Liberty Beacon

"The breakdown in relations between the Philippines, a former and much-abused American colony, and the United States is based on renewed Philippines nationalism, a disgust by Duterte for the selective human rights agenda of the Obama administration, and the Philippines leader’s antipathy for those schooled in Muslim beliefs in neighboring Indonesia.Duterte knows full well that Obama prayed in a mosque and recited from the Koran in his early childhood years at a quasi-Islamic state school in Jakarta. And for Duterte, a former mayor of Davao City in Mindanao, — a southern Philippines island plagued by Saudi-financed Abu Sayyaf Group Wahhabist terrorism nurtured from radicalized mosques across the Sulu Sea in Indonesia — Obama’s upbringing in Southeast Asia is very germane."

"In 1967, Obama’s mother took young Barack Obama to join her war criminal husband in Jakarta. After her arrival in the country with the world’s largest Muslim population, Obama’s mother worked for the CIA-linked U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) fanning out across central Javanese villages with orders to collect as many names of Communists as possible."

Lieutenant Colonel Lolo Soetoro with Ann Dunham-Soetoro,
    a young Barack Obama and sister Maya Soetoro

No idea if it's at all correct but some backgound, possibly.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert
    Oh my god.

Yes, it does appears some don't understand might equals rights, eh?

Rights are guaranteed by the ability to say "it's up to you".

I came across this a week or so ago when there was a feud between the leaders of the two countries.

Obama-Duterte Blow Up: What the Corporate Media Doesn?t Get | The Liberty Beacon

"The breakdown in relations between the Philippines, a former and much-abused American colony, and the United States is based on renewed Philippines nationalism, a disgust by Duterte for the selective human rights agenda of the Obama administration, and the Philippines leader’s antipathy for those schooled in Muslim beliefs in neighboring Indonesia.Duterte knows full well that Obama prayed in a mosque and recited from the Koran in his early childhood years at a quasi-Islamic state school in Jakarta. And for Duterte, a former mayor of Davao City in Mindanao, — a southern Philippines island plagued by Saudi-financed Abu Sayyaf Group Wahhabist terrorism nurtured from radicalized mosques across the Sulu Sea in Indonesia — Obama’s upbringing in Southeast Asia is very germane."

"In 1967, Obama’s mother took young Barack Obama to join her war criminal husband in Jakarta. After her arrival in the country with the world’s largest Muslim population, Obama’s mother worked for the CIA-linked U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) fanning out across central Javanese villages with orders to collect as many names of Communists as possible."

Lieutenant Colonel Lolo Soetoro with Ann Dunham-Soetoro,
    a young Barack Obama and sister Maya Soetoro

No idea if it's at all correct but some backgound, possibly.
    No offense, but it's a tinfoil hat site and a fabricated article. I read it a few days ago and, I presume like most people, just shook my head at the idiocy and moved on.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker
    I guess the whole loss of face" thing doesn't only apply to Thailand or Lao
    Correct. In order for any small nation to survive it will be subjected to some level of face loss to nations with superior economic and military power who dictate the rules for cooperation. Smart leaders go out of their way to avoid conflict with big powers. Rodrigo and those of his ilk are playing a dangerous game with their rhetoric and behavior. In spite of his popularity and win via election once common folks have a change of heart and take to the streets in a "people power" demonstration he will be gone just like Marcos and Estrada.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    @graceless fawn - Davis is as tough as old boots. Or beef jerky. Or crispy pata without the crisp. Lol. But in reality, he's more like Mentos - tough outside, soft & chewy inside. But be wary for the first few weeks, or he'll roundhouse kick you. He has sparred with Chuck Norris, accdg to TD legend. Davis has met CN, or rather, CN has met Davis!

Back on the topic of Duterte, my mom & I are both watching the value of some stocks in PI stock market. Some are down & we're currently at a slight loss, but we're hoping that it will recover be xmas time due to foreign workers' remittances. Mom says it might be down (among other factors) bcos many ppl are disillusioned or angry w/ D30 now bcos of his bad mouth & remarks against the US.

On a good note, I went to Quezon City recently for an errand. QC is north of Manila. The main street, EDSA, is relatively free of street vendors & the designated bus stops seem to be reinforced. However, traffic is still soooo bad along EDSA.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^It appears that the poster in question is an Asian female, so that might explain a bit. Thus far I find her most uninteresting. Aren't the majority of posters surrounded by Asian females all day every day? I certainly am.
    ^^^ Katie, put yourself in a new posters shoes...(supposedly new after a nine year hiatus?)
    Now how would you feel if this was written about you or comment regarding Asian females ?

Don't get me wrong, DK is a key poster on this forum particularly with commentary on all things PI.

I personally found Davis' remark rude towards a rather 'new' poster.That was just my perception.
    Sadly Davis, you might be considered a neanderthal by the next generation...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeCoffee
    Arnold
    Sorry if slightly off topic, but Arnold was one of the best Governors California ever had. He tried to walk the middle ground and control the liberal insanity that haunts California.

Duterte seem to be alienating too many people, and nothing can change the reality that a drug dealer is just someone accused until a court says otherwise. Duterte needs to get himself under control now.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by katie23
    Davis has met CN, or rather, CN has met Davis!
    Nobody really knows who met who because none of those there to witness it lived to tell the tale.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    [quote=PeeCoffee;3365136] rude towards a rather 'new' poster.That was just my perception.
    Sadly Davis, you might be considered a neanderthal by the next generation/quote]

My comments were mostly directed at posters who appear to be enthralled because as Asian female is posting. So what? Katie23 is an Asian female, and a great poster. Thus far, this one isn't. Her really stupid comment on nuclear-powered vessels is a good example. She grows nice flowers...stick to that.

If you think I'm rude - tough. To the next generation I most certainly will be considered a neanderthal - so what?

Last Online
    21-03-2018 @ 04:20 PM
    Philippine Duterte tells Obama to 'go to hell' - BBC News

US President Barack Obama can "go to hell" over his criticism of the Philippines brutal war against drugs, President Rodrigo Duterte says.

The European Union - another critic - "better choose purgatory, hell is filled up", Mr Duterte said.

The remarks came as the US and the Philippines began joint military exercises. The US said there was a "strong alliance" with the Philippines.

Mr Duterte's drugs war has caused thousands of extrajudicial killings.

In a speech to local officials and business executives Mr Duterte said he was disappointed with the US for criticising the Philippines' tactics to combat the drug trade. He also described Washington as an unreliable ally.

"Instead of helping us, the first to criticise is this state department, so you can go to hell, Mr Obama, you can go to hell."

Later on Tuesday he warned: "Eventually I might, in my time, I will break up with America. I would rather go to Russia and to China.''

Mr Duterte also revealed that the US had refused to sell weapons to Manila, but added that he would be able to buy them elsewhere.

"If you don't want to sell arms, I'll go to Russia. I sent the generals to Russia."

I think what Duterte had better worry about, is if his generals go not to Russia, but to Thailand. To find out how to stage a military coup to get rid of Duterte like the Thais got rid of Thaksin without making a complete balls up of it.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I saw a good article in the Philippine press today about how many generations it would take for the Philippines to switch from a century of training with, and use of, US military hardware.

Duterte simply doesn't understand the issues. And the press here is pointing that out daily, as politicians try to shut him up. The honeymoon period is quickly fading.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information