Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodrigo Duterte

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    And de Lima is in the press this morning in two major stories - one slamming Duterte's flawed list and the other launching a protest over plans for a hero's burial here for Marcos. She doesn't sound resigned or indicted to me.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    ^^ I wonder what's in this blokes closet.
    And how many other Generals did he climb past to get this job.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^He's a pretty sharp guy. Graduate of the Philippine Military Academy, Master's Degree, good career. Jumped from one star to the top due to a long personal relationship with Duterte.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ I just googled him,had a good career and it doesn't help the he is mates with the main man.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Certainly not unprecedented for newly-elected Presidents to jump up those they trust - in any country. Probably more unusual in Asia than elsewhere, however, given the fairly rigid system of promoting on a schedule from a 'batch'. But, as we know, Duterte isn't much for precedent or tradition.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Now I just read an article in which de Lima blasts Duterte for implying that she protected drug lords, cited her record in trying to clean up the prison system, and stating she's not about to resign her elected position due to slanderous allegations by the government.

Doesn't sound like she's admitting anything. Much the contrary. As I suspected from the beginning of this little drama. Normal poor reporting on TV and in the press here - often takes a few days for the hysterical headlines to fade and the facts to come out.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Doesn't sound like she's admitting anything. Much the contrary. As I suspected from the beginning of this little drama. Normal poor reporting on TV and in the press here - often takes a few days for the hysterical headlines to fade and the facts to come out.
    Thanks. I will take out of this to take things with a grain of salt.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Mind you, it's the Philippines...I could yet be proven wrong. But I don't think so...just another soap opera.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo746 View Post
    ^
    Dead men walking: Philippine President Duterte to name dozens of officials allegedly involved in drug trade

PHILIPPINE President Rodrigo “The Punisher” Duterte is set to name up to 50 officials allegedly involved in drugs as state-sanctioned street executions of civilians soar to 600.

Mr Duterte’s lawyer Salvador Panelo said that 27 local executives identified in intelligence reports would be unmasked this week that figure had almost doubled.
    “My God, you will be shocked,” Mr Panelo said
    So now, there are people named with connections / officials to the drug trade.

This is when one has to be careful not to be assassinated.

I don't know enough about PI to have an opinion, but if these people are guilty (the dealers as Davis notes) then I think using harsh measures is needed.

If the officials are involved (and it's logical to think they would be as it's lucrative, then good on Dutarte).

There is a Meth epidemic in PI now, correct?

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    for the last 20 years

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza
    There is a Meth epidemic in PI now, correct?
    Probably the biggest problem. Relatively cheap, but destructive. Destroys the brain, causes a lot of street violence.

My wifes family won't let me go places in the evening when they had no concerns 10 years ago.

Last Online
    @
    Duterte’s “gay” remark sparks diplomatic row with the US

Tough-talking Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has sparked off a fresh diplomatic row for calling the United States ambassador “gay” in his comments, prompting Washington to summon the Philippine envoy to lodge a complaint, The Manila Times Online reported on Wednesday.

Duterte used a Tagalog word for gay to express his displeasure with US ambassador Philip Goldberg in televised comments last Friday.

“As you know, I am fighting with ambassador. His gay ambassador, the son of a whore. He pisses me off,” Duterte was quoted to have said.

The president first came into conflict with Goldberg on the campaign trail after he said he should have been the first to rape a “beautiful” Australian missionary who was sexually assaulted and murdered in a 1989 prison riot in Davao. He later explained that he used “gutter language” because it was understood by the mases.

Goldberg and the Australian ambassador strongly criticized these comments.

President Duterte said last Friday that Goldberg meddled with Philippine internal affairs during the elections “giving statements here and there and he was not supposed to do that.”

The US State Department said Filipino charge d’affaires Patric Chuasoto was summoned Monday to discuss Duterte’s comments. Later, Foreign Affairs Department spokesman Charles Jose confirmed the meeting but said the Philippine envoy was invited to discuss the entire breadth of Philippine-US relations.

But former Philippine ambassador to the US Jose Cuisia Jr rushed to the defence of Goldberg, saying that Duterte’s comments were inappropriate and unfortunate in his interview with The Manila Times.

Duterte?s ?gay? remark sparks diplomatic row with the US - Thai PBS English News

Last Online
    @
    Communists back out from Duterte government’s anti-drug campaign

The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) has withdrawn support for President Rodrigo Duterte’s campaign against illegal drugs, claiming that the campaign has rapidly spiraled into a frenzied campaign of extrajudicial killings and vigilante murders perpetrated by police and by police-linked criminal syndicates, The Manila Times Online reported on Monday.

However, the CPP said in a statement released on Friday that the New People’s Army, its armed wing, will continue to intensify its operations to arrest and disarm drug trade operators and protectors.

The statement said that nearly 1,000 people have been killed in just little more than one month although official police data show that 592 drug personalities have been killed in 5,422 operations as of Sunday.

The CPP’s criticism of the government’s anti-drug campaign is that it appears to target the lowest rungs of the criminal syndicate ladder. “In contrast, the suspected big drug lords and their protectors are afford courtesy calls to Malacanang accommodations in Camp Crame’s guest house and preliminary investigations by the National Bureau of Investigation,” said the statement.

The CPP also criticized government for shifting the burden of proofing from the state to the accused.

It warned that the campaign is bound to fail because it does not address the socio-economic roots of the problem. It cited the cases in Mexico and Thailand where it said the drug problem remains after thousands had been killed in the fight against illegal drugs.

Communists back out from Duterte government?s anti-drug campaign - Thai PBS English News

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit
    police-linked criminal syndicates,
    There's the problem,they are killing off their competition.

Last Online
    @
    There is a documentary, Cartel Land, filmed in Mexico, about a vigilante group formed to go after the drug cartel. The group started out with good intentions but were infiltrated and all turned to mayhem. I can imagine the same thing could happen in the Phillipines.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    The police is already "infiltrated", always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by misskit
    ...the campaign has rapidly spiraled into a frenzied campaign of extrajudicial killings and vigilante murders perpetrated by police and by police-linked criminal syndicates
    Who could have guessed something like this could possibly happen?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    There is a documentary, Cartel Land, filmed in Mexico, about a vigilante group formed to go after the drug cartel. The group started out with good intentions but were infiltrated and all turned to mayhem. I can imagine the same thing could happen in the Phillipines.

It could happen. But there is a decent chance it won't.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Extra-judicial killings, or salvage killings, are nothing new here, and have generally been done either with police complicity or police turning a blind eye.

When I got here in 1990, there was a vacant lot close to my apartment in which a body would be found every few months - usually with a cardboard sign around the neck that said "Drug Pusher".

Nothing new - just a bit more frequent and public. It will slack off soon and be in the rear view mirror.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    Duterte Threatens to Withdraw Philippines From UN, Hits US

Bloomberg 2 hours 35 minutes agoDavao, Philippines (AP) -- The Philippines' brash-talking president has threatened to withdraw his country from the United Nations in his latest outburst against critics of his anti-drugs campaign that has left hundreds of suspects dead.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...064902920.html

He's sounding almost as crazy as Trump

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Totally disagree. He had a couple of self-proclaimed 'experts' from the UN blast the Philippines for the drug deaths. Duterte quite correctly told them that they had never been here, didn't know the situation here other than reading news articles, and that they should shut up, fuck off and mind their own business.

He added that the UN was a toothless, useless organization, and that it had never done anything for the Philippines.

I agree on all counts - moreso since one of the 'experts' was a Frog surrender monkey.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    On the TV tonight, Duterte said "If that useless body (the UN) wants to investigate somebody, why don't they go to the US and investigate why police are never charged for shooting black people on the ground with their hands raised?" "At least we're killing people for selling drugs, not for the color of their skin."

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-03-2020 @ 08:28 AM
    Circus over here, DU30 accusing Delima to sleep with her driver and giving him lot's ofpower into jails where he was middlemen and party organizer...

DU30 after foreigners, some will be banned to come to Philippines, targeting Chinese and Mexicans related to drug, he might ban entry to some nationalities.

Ceasefire is something positif to hear with rebels in South and NPA may be as well...

DU30 is telling he will soon reopen the PDAF Napoles, Pork Barrel case, and quite a few high placed will be sacked.
    Monday,Tuesday, then it goes WTF !

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    ^Totally disagree. He had a couple of self-proclaimed 'experts' from the UN blast the Philippines for the drug deaths. Duterte quite correctly told them that they had never been here, didn't know the situation here other than reading news articles, and that they should shut up, fuck off and mind their own business.

He added that the UN was a toothless, useless organization, and that it had never done anything for the Philippines.

I agree on all counts - moreso since one of the 'experts' was a Frog surrender monkey.
    exactly, he may or may not be good for the economy but at least he speaks his mind, I quite like this duterte bloke, and if he can be a sort of a Philippine style lee quan yew (spelling) and kick a bit of ass then I take my hat off to him.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Can't argue with that, the UN is useless and dangerous, it's just that summary executions are so easy to abuse no national leader should support them.

Impose the legal death penalty for drug dealers, streamline it (one all inclusive appeal only) and carry it out swiftly, but at least give the accused a trial and have a trusted and objective person such as a judge declare him or her guilty first.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post

Impose the legal death penalty for drug dealers, streamline it (one all inclusive appeal only) and carry it out swiftly, but at least give the accused a trial and have a trusted and objective person such as a judge declare him or her guilty first.
    No offense meant, Bob, but. It's the Philippines. There is no death penalty (yet). There is NO streamlined justice (unlike in the US where convicted murderers only spend one to two decades awaiting execution). "Trusted and objective person like a judge" .

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread Information