Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Last Online
    @

Random pics

Saturday night we had a bunch of folks over that helped on this house build project. We did up some cocktails, and a big fat BBQ. We all laughed and talked until 1 am.
    I am glad we have the driveway. Plenty of parking.

I installed some of the solar lights we brought from the US so people can see the edge of the driveway.

Our Q food.

Last Online
    @

Plants

Wife, FIL and I went out to pick up a few jack fruit trees. well we did not find any. However some how I ended up with a truck load of plants and trees with a delivery coming later with pots and dirt to plant them all. Not sure what the missus has in mind but I will definitely find out soon.

Here is what she bought

So water trees and lotus flower

The pots came later in the evening. So no time to plant them but she is all excited to be planting tomorrow. I am going on a motorcycle ride. HAHAHA

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    Simply fantastic Gaff.

One must respect the farang who can achieve this sort of result in Thailand.

Having decent money behind one certainly sends the enjoyment factor out into the stratosphere.

No doubt about that one.

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Nothing like a good Barby on a warm night with some friends! Good on ya Jeff

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Simply fantastic Gaff.

One must respect the farang who can achieve this sort of result in Thailand.

Having decent money behind one certainly sends the enjoyment factor out into the stratosphere.

No doubt about that one.
    You know it's odd. You read all the heavy negative stuff about Thailand and scams and can't own land etc etc but if you just go about life it's all noise. I sank more into our house here then we had originally wanted to but it's all good. I really love it, I have a cool wife and it's quite comfortable. We discussed staying and buying a place in the US but you know I lived there all my life. I wanted to change it up. But I had no intentions of coming here to become a hermit or drunk. I came to live my life and have some fun. Maybe later I will become a drunk after I retire from work here in Thailand.

Thanks again on the house comments.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Nothing like a good Barby on a warm night with some friends! Good on ya Jeff
    When you get here M we should plan a Q deal. Nothing better then swatting skeeters and Qin ribs fish and Chicken. Always brings folks together for some good times. What I really like about Qing here is all the women jump right into help. I started Qing and in 10 minutes I lost possession of the Tongs so I just enjoyed some Tequila, One couple brought a big bottle of JW Red. The women had Wine.

Cheers

Last Online
    ^

Well, I'm under the undying opinion that to really dial a good life in Thailand one has to have money and decent contacts.

When i read your building thread it reinforces that what i think is good for me is exactly what you have.

I don't need your big house but at the same time i love it.

living on a pension watching pennies will never work for me.

Sort of why I worked a real job for 34 years.

All the best with it.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post

You know it's odd. You read all the heavy negative stuff about Thailand and scams and can't own land etc etc but if you just go about life it's all noise. .

Certainly is noise, it all comes from punters who never spent the time to get to know their woman properly before going balls deep into investing in this mad house.

It's all about our Female partners to how our enjoyment factormeter pans out.

Pick the wrong one and it disintegrates.

Pick the right one and live happily ever after .

Always a gamble but put in a bit of time and things can certainly pay dividends.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    I'm putting solar lights on the list for our next adventure. Thanks for the tip.

The place looks great. I like the brick work and pattern concreet. It gives it that pop you don't get whith the brushed standard.

We had a bbq last night as well. The ladies do love to do the cooking. My job was to ignite the coal.

Then gave kids atv rides followed by a sunset road tour on the Yamaha 1967 ASI 125 (for me) and the 1972 Yamaha SL 100 for the guests. I may need a shipping container yet when I'm done playing here.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    26-03-2024 @ 11:36 AM
    Your house really looks great and it sounds like you're having a great time. It is a nice change from the usual moaning and Thailand bashing. Sometimes I begin to rethink our long term plan witch is similar to yours. Thanks for the update. I'm sure there are plenty of happy westerners living around Thailand unfortunately you don't get the opportunity to hear much about it.
    How long did it take your container to arrive from the U.S.

Thanks for the positive outlook

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
    Your house really looks great and it sounds like you're having a great time. It is a nice change from the usual moaning and Thailand bashing. Sometimes I begin to rethink our long term plan witch is similar to yours. Thanks for the update. I'm sure there are plenty of happy westerners living around Thailand unfortunately you don't get the opportunity to hear much about it.
    How long did it take your container to arrive from the U.S.

Thanks for the positive outlook
    Hey thanks for the post. I too had grown very tired of all the negativity. Most forums are loaded with it. I figured I'd bring something different to the board. As you noted there are a lot of very happy westerners living here. You clearly make it what it is. As you noted It's hard to meet happy foreigners primarily because most do not post on forums. I have however come across a few that post on TD. Good guys.

As for the container, it took 24 days plus 3 anchored in the harbor. I did a separate thread with details about it if you are interested. It's in this forum section.

Cheers and best wishes moving here. I have always liked being here. Never a dull moment.

Last Online
    @
    Fantastic. I love these feel good threads.

Well done to all involved to create this beautiful home.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Fantastic. I love these feel good threads.

Well done to all involved to create this beautiful home.
    Hey Loy Toy, Good to touch base with you again.

I figured I toss up some threads and keep them civil. I am helping another US guy up in my parts as he wants to do the same type driveway but a different color. Met him at a Homepro and we got to talking. He lives in Lumphun. He wants to do more of a red brick color with a different pattern to match his place. should look very nice.

Cheers

Last Online
    Hi Jeff,

I look forward to meeting up for a barby one day. Funny, in Oz BBQ is mens work, I have been to a couple in Thailand where the ladies take over and the blokes just sit around and tell stories and drink - think I prefer the Thai way!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I look forward to meeting up for a barby one day. Funny, in Oz BBQ is mens work, I have been to a couple in Thailand where the ladies take over and the blokes just sit around and tell stories and drink - think I prefer the Thai way!
    Funny M, Same way in US. Man grabs a beer or a cocktail and is in charge of the BBQ. Of course usually the women complain we either over cooked or burn everything.

Here is in Thailand its waaaaay different. As I was BBQing my wife and her friend came up and stood next to me talking. I set the tongs down to grab my drink...that was all she wrote. I was slowly pushed out of the way and told to let them do it. Then of course they sat and talked away...It gave me more time to enjoy my beverage. I too like the Thai way better

Last Online
    Yes mate, I enjoy it, and they generally do a better job too

Last Online
    @

The fun stuff

Anyone who has built a house anywhere knows that the actual building and finishing is always a relief.

Where it gets fun is the finishing touches such as landscaping and making it your home. I am a huge "Make it lush and green "type. Big trees, lots of shade. My wife seems to be a house plant and make it green everywhere. I finally feel we are getting there.

So we decided to do 2 large lotus pots. Each will have 3 lotus plants. We have 1 in place, the other we ran out of time to plant. We have 6 big round water holders full of the little skeeter eaters around the property so I was able to move over a bunch to the new lotus planters.

Soon after planting them 3 flowers came right up. A good sign they like it there.

We decided to do a small water plant feature near the car park area. Not sure how we will lay it out. One thing nice here in Thailand these plants are very cheap and you can be really creative.

We bought a small little waterfall deal we will put up on the first flat on the stairs before going into the house. At least that's where we felt we wanted it. It could change. I like it downstairs where you can hear it all the time.

The next big project will be tearing down the chicken coop and replace it with a small pond area so FIL can raise his fish he likes to eat. He is a pescetarian. We will make this a nice pond so it will serve a dual purpose. No its not going to be a 10m by 10m pond, likely 3m x 3m in area and 1.5M deep. It will have a shape to it. We decided the chicken coop was messy and quite frankly more of a maintenance issue then it was worth. We have eaten all the chickens so it is empty now. A Big plus for me is now my wife can't threaten me that if I act up I will have to sleep in the chicken coop. I think the shop has taken its place..

Last Online
    24-08-2017 @ 02:01 PM
    House looks great.
    But with the best will in the world; that water feature; looks worse than a sack of monkey spunk on a hot day.

Sorry

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
    House looks great.
    But with the best will in the world; that water feature; looks worse than a sack of monkey spunk on a hot day.

Sorry
    Thanks Sweaty.

As for the water feature I will take your word for it as I have never seen a sack of monkey spunk on a hot day to be able to agree with you.

Regardless no need to be sorry. I took no offense in it.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    I finally feel we are getting there.
    You sure are. Agree it's the landscaping and other finishing touches that make it your home. Feathering the nest. Having little else to do, I enjoy the never ending tweeking and puttering that comes with home ownership. Well done. Enjoy.

Last Online
    31-07-2017 @ 06:12 AM
    The house and gardens look great JPPR2...the Barby even better ..what time is lunch?
    I am stuck in Aussie for 2 more weeks..all it does is rain and cold winds...no beer o'clock in the winter time here....

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    I finally feel we are getting there.
    You sure are. Agree it's the landscaping and other finishing touches that make it your home. Feathering the nest. Having little else to do, I enjoy the never ending tweeking and puttering that comes with home ownership. Well done. Enjoy.
    Thanks Norton. I too love tweeking and moving stuff around. I have already planted plants that after a week decided I did not like how they would look, so I dug them up and moved them. I find all of it relaxing and fun. At the end of my day I am usually whooped tired. I am working now with my FIL to plant his garden in a more organized manner. He just plants green beans, basil, chili plants etc where ever he feels there is an opening. My wife is working on him. At 80 he has done it his way a long time.

I brought over a Husqvarna Lawnmower in my cargo container. First day I was at the house for the past holiday he was out trying to trim the grass with some sheers. I had not showed him the lawn mower. I got it out, fired it up, set the blade height and showed him how to use it. Man he was so nervous using it at first. Half way done he was all smiles. Plus he uses the trimmings to feed his rabbits.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    The house and gardens look great JPPR2...the Barby even better ..what time is lunch?
    I am stuck in Aussie for 2 more weeks..all it does is rain and cold winds...no beer o'clock in the winter time here....
    G'day Biff,

Weather right now is perfect. Its beer O clock anytime here.

You know on the barby, I told my wife the other day I want to do a big pig in the ground deal like the Hawaiian's do. Was watching a few You tube Vids on it. My wife says I am crazy. I said the pork is so good cooked that way.

2 weeks will go fast.

Last Online
    @
    Found the quick pick I took of my FIL at the helm of the lawnmower. He was so focused on using it. Was really quite fun.

Last Online
    @

Well cover

After some serious effort over the holiday we moved the well pump which was out in the middle of the open area in our yard to the well tube. A friend fabricated a SST plate grate to set the well pump on. My wife added brick around the perimeter and had a shop down the street build a nice cover to conceal the pump.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information