Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodrigo Duterte

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Does tend to shoot his mouth off..........frequently. Always been like that as I recall.
    He did say though that now he is elected president he will try to control his big mouth.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Time will tell - a lifetime habit is hard to break.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Today he called the Catholic Bishops "Sons of whores", accused the Church of being corrupt, hypocritical, involved in politics and of soliciting funds from political parties.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 AM
    I am warming to the guy when he says this about the bishops,about time they heard some home truths.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Also said he's thinking about family planning - possibly a three kids per family law similar to China's one per family law - now that will REALLY piss off the church.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Today he called the Catholic Bishops "Sons of whores", accused the Church of being corrupt, hypocritical, involved in politics and of soliciting funds from political parties.
    "Sons of Whores"...sounds like an interesting reality television show.

Did Duterte say those Bishops were related to the Pope too ...( on their mother's side) ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Also said he's thinking about family planning - possibly a three kids per family law similar to China's one per family law - now that will REALLY piss off the church.

My nephew got married while I was in the Philippines. For a church wedding a marriage seminar by the catholic church is mandatory. They were told that having 15 children is a really good thing. That goes even against the teaching of the pope. On his last visit to the Philippines he said having children is good but responsibly. You need to be able to feed and to educate them properly. That message seems lost to the church leaders in the Philippines.
    "don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence"

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I fucking loathe the catholic church. Determined to keep the country in the Dark Ages. I've been here decades, and have never before seen anyone with the balls to take on the church. Good on him.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Not really successful in controlling his big mouth yet.

While of course he is right, he could have formulated it slightly different.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeovers View Post

Not really successful in controlling his big mouth yet.

While of course he is right, he could have formulated it slightly different.
    He's a work in progress.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    I remember Cardinal Sin,never been a more appropiately named priest.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    He,s going after the telco,s and power cartels ( his words) to improve service and bring the price of Internet and power down or he will invite foreign competition in . He,s certainly hit the ground running and is prepared to kick some ass

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    He,s going after the telco,s and power cartels ( his words) to improve service and bring the price of Internet and power down or he will invite foreign competition in . He,s certainly hit the ground running and is prepared to kick some ass
    And about time. Slowest and most expensive internet in Asia...most unreliable and expensive power in Asia.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    And about time. Slowest and most expensive internet in Asia...most unreliable and expensive power in Asia.
    And been like that for decades to. nothing worse than a brownout when your midway through a shag. im really starting to warm to the guy to.So far he,s full of surprises, hope he can make a difference.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:19 PM
    I suspect the fella has seen his last Christmas...

Last Online
    @
    Unless he's all mouth and only take on small fish, he is dead alright.

I reckon he'll live

Last Online
    @
    Philippine President-elect Denounced for Supporting Killing of Journalists

International media groups are condemning recent remarks by Philippine's incoming president defending the killing of journalists in the Pacific archipelago.

President-elect Rodrigo Duterte told reporters during press conference Tuesday that many journalists have been killed because they are corrupt, and warned that others could be assassinated."

The Philippines is one of the most dangerous places in the world for journalists, with nearly 200 reporters killed over the last two decades.

The Committee to Protect Journalists issued a statement Wednesday saying Duterte's comments "apparently excusing extrajudicial killings threaten to make the Philippines into a killing field for journalists."

The 71-year-old Duterte, who served two decades as mayor of the southern city of Davao, won last month's presidential election with with bombastic, profanity-laced promises to stamp out crime and corruption, including pledges to kill criminals — drawing obvious comparisons to Donald Trump, the billionaire U.S. real estate mogul and presumptive Republican presidential party nominee.

His comments earned him support among long-suffering Philippine voters frustrated with poverty and inequality, as well as accusations from human rights groups that he ordered hundreds of extrajudicial killings while mayor of Davao.

Duterte has also drawn scorn over boasts about his sexual escapades and vulgar comments about women. He said during the campaign that he wished he had been first in line in the gang rape of an Australian missionary killed during a Davao jail riot in 1989.

During Tuesday's press conference, Duterte whistled at a female reporter in a sexually explicit manner.

Philippine President-elect Denounced for Supporting Killing of Journalists

Last Online
    @
    Philippine President-Elect Encourages Citizens to Kill Drug Dealers

DAVAO – The Philippine president-elect Rodrigo Duterte, has encouraged the public to help him in his war against crime, urging citizens with guns to shoot and kill drug dealers who resist arrest and fight back in their neighborhoods.

In a nationally televised speech late Saturday, Rodrigo Duterte told a huge crowd in the southern city of Davao that Filipinos who help him battle crime will be rewarded.

“Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun – you have my support,” Duterte said, warning of an extensive illegal drug trade that involves even the country’s police.

If a drug dealer resists arrest or refuses to be brought to a police station and threatens a citizen with a gun or a knife, “you can kill him,” Duterte said. “Shoot him and I’ll give you a medal.”

more Philippine President-Elect Encourages Citizens to Kill Drug Dealers | Chiang Rai Times English Language Newspaper

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    ^ I hope this is mostly bluster,it could turn in to a shit fight.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo746 View Post
    ^ I hope this is mostly bluster,it could turn in to a shit fight.
    Hard to know yet. He certainly does like to make inflammatory statements. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. It is a bit disturbing....

Last Online
    @
    Drug lords raise bounty for Duterte to P50M

Incoming Philippine National Police (PNP) director Chief Supt. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa remains unfazed by the reported assassination threats against him and President-elect Rodrigo Duterte.
    In an interview on ANC’s “Headstart” on Thursday, Dela Rosa said that the bounties for him and for Duterte had been raised from P10 million to P50 million because there were no takers.

Read more: Drug lords raise bounty for Duterte to P50M?incoming PNP chief | Inquirer News

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^I suspect folks aren't confident they'll get paid if they manage to do the deed. The alleged bounties have allegedly been put up by drug lords in maximum security prisons where they are serving life sentences. Also, both Duterte and his new police chief have had bounties on their heads for many years.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Jaysus (no pun intended)...They really have elected a bat-shit nutter...

Last Online
    @
    Philippine Poor Hit Early in Duterte-inspired Crackdown

MANILA—
    In a crackdown bearing the Philippine president-elect's name, police have rounded up hundreds of children or their parents to enforce a night curfew for minors, and taken away drunk and shirtless men roaming metropolitan Manila's slums. The poor, who were among Rodrigo Duterte's strongest supporters, are getting a foretaste of the war against crime he has vowed to wage.

During a surprise sweep witnessed by The Associated Press last week, a girl who appeared to be about 10 years old was dragged to a police van for curfew violation. She protested that she had been outside only to take out the garbage. A boy about the same age cried, “I do not want to go!” A slightly older-looking boy, looking terrified, dropped the box of a rice and beef meal he'd just bought when police apprehended him.

A bewildered mother sleeping on a sidewalk with her toddler wailed when a social worker took her son, and she was dragged to a police vehicle. “Where is my child? I will go crazy here!” she shouted, pleading with police to “please have mercy on me.”

The woman wore a rubber bracelet bearing Duterte's name. She relaxed when a social worker brought her son to the same vehicle.

The crackdown is dubbed “Oplan Rody.” Oplan is an acronym for “Rid the Streets of Drinkers and Youth.” Rody is the nickname of Duterte, who becomes president June 30.

In the weeks since the tough-talking mayor of southern Davao city won the presidential election, energized police and local officials have dusted off little-enforced city ordinances like night-to-dawn curfews for minors, a ban on drinking alcohol in the streets and shirtless men in public places.

Rolando Roxas, father of a 14-year-old boy apprehended while buying noodles, said it's probably a good lesson for the children not to roam the streets at night.

But Jocelyn Chavez is angry. She is a small-time vendor who works at night to support her five children, and she had to forego her day's earnings to get her daughter, who she said was picked up while taking out the garbage. “If I don't work we will all have nothing to eat,” she said.

Apprehended minors are turned over to social workers and most are released to their parents with warnings. Adults caught drinking alcohol outdoors are warned the first time and can be fined, detained or both the next, said Police Chief Inspector Bernabe Irinco Jr., who led the Manila operations.

“We are doing this so our young people can be free of crimes,” Irinco said.

more Philippine Poor Hit Early in Duterte-inspired Crackdown

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Tough love, but the slum areas in Manila are overrun at night by packs of young kids, many of them glue sniffers or just generally up to no good. There are going to be some innocents picked up, but that's the price of cleaning up the slums.

Of course eradicating the cause of the slums would be nice, but as long as the rural poor flock to Manila looking for work, slums will unfortunately, like in most other poor big cities, be a fact of life.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread Information