Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by baconandeggs
    Knowledge and experience
    You have demonstrated neither so far, much less any understanding.

Last Online
    19-11-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    You are right bacon. I was comparing BKK to Chiang Mai. Must be the alcohol. I think each known tourist destination has a lot of the same, but the scope varies. I personally prefer visiting destinations less known, maybe because I have already been to all the popular ones. My personal list of favorites when it comes to well known tourist destinations is as follows starting with most liked down to least liked.

1. Chiang Mai
    2. Phuket
    3. Koh Samui
    4. Hua Hin
    5. Bangkok
    6. Pattaya

I usually ask any visitors what they are interested in and then develope a tour to make sure they fulfill their wish list which seems to vary from person to person.
    Lots of tourists like CM cause its so westernised. I like the province not the city.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    Knowledge and experience
    You have demonstrated neither so far, much less any understanding.
    Well thanks. I see you missed the last 30 years of development in the tourism market in Thailand. Not to worry. Go back to your beer in Nakhon Nowhere.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by baconandeggs View Post
    You are right bacon. I was comparing BKK to Chiang Mai. Must be the alcohol. I think each known tourist destination has a lot of the same, but the scope varies. I personally prefer visiting destinations less known, maybe because I have already been to all the popular ones. My personal list of favorites when it comes to well known tourist destinations is as follows starting with most liked down to least liked.

1. Chiang Mai
    2. Phuket
    3. Koh Samui
    4. Hua Hin
    5. Bangkok
    6. Pattaya

I usually ask any visitors what they are interested in and then develope a tour to make sure they fulfill their wish list which seems to vary from person to person.
    Lots of tourists like CM cause its so westernised. I like the province not the city.
    I like CM for its crafts and culture, including the province and city.

Last Online
    @
    Lots of tourists like CM cause its so westernised
    That hasn't been my experience at all.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Lots of tourists like CM cause its so westernised
    That hasn't been my experience at all.
    Millions of westerners and endless pizzas.

No? Geez

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    No?
    First time you got something right numb nuts.

Last Online
    No?
    First time you got something right numb nuts.
    I doubt you've even been to Thailand.

Last Online
    @
    Have you been to CM?

I'd say Chinese make up the largest tourist group these days and they definitely don't come for the 'westernized culture'. Plenty of backpackers and the younger set here for temples, treks, elephants etc. Those aren't western either. And then you have the more affluent tourists who go for those exorbidently overpiced spas and whatnot. You know, Thai massage, not western.

Last Online
    Have you been to CM?

I'd say Chinese make up the largest tourist group these days and they definitely don't come for the 'westernized culture'. Plenty of backpackers and the younger set here for temples, treks, elephants etc. Those aren't western either. And then you have the more affluent tourists who go for those exorbidently overpiced spas and whatnot. You know, Thai massage, not western.

Are you for real? 5m westerners go there every year.

Last Online
    Elephant camps? Yeah westerners line up to go.Then they go buy crap from night market covered in elephants.

Last Online
    @
    Have you been to CM?

What does that have to do with anything. Your point was that tourists like CM because it's westernized. Clearly that's not the case.

Last Online
    Have you been to CM?

What does that have to do with anything. Your point was that tourists like CM because it's westernized. Clearly that's not the case.

Western hotels
    Western food
    Western tourists

Yeah it is real thailand

Last Online
    @
    Next tourist you see in CM (presuming you've ever been here) ask them why they left their western country to come to a westernized country. Make sure they're European though, apparently you don't count other Asians as tourists.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    B&E may well be an idiot, but it's ok because he has added 'that' smiley laughing at his own comments.
    Making shit up based on stuff you pull out of thin air does not count. Unless you count unsupported baseless opinion. Stick to facts or go back to your hovel.

Last Online
    B&E may well be an idiot, but it's ok because he has added 'that' smiley laughing at his own comments.
    Making shit up based on stuff you pull out of thin air does not count. Unless you count unsupported baseless opinion. Stick to facts or go back to your hovel.
    You sure are miserable there in the UK. Thousands of posts and no idea about the country.

Last Online
    Next tourist you see in CM (presuming you've ever been here) ask them why they left their western country to come to a westernized country. Make sure they're European though, apparently you don't count other Asians as tourists.
    Chinese groups are worse. You want to hang with them?

Seriously. Go to China if you want that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Chinese groups are worse. You want to hang with them? Seriously. Go to China if you want that.
    Why move the goalposts instead of answering the quote you linked? The answer is easy, because you know nothing of substance about Thailand. Must be painful having that barstool glued to your arse.

Last Online
    14-07-2017 @ 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by petercallen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwang View Post
    where in Phuket are you Peter?
    ive heard a lot of good reports away from the tourist spots, taxi mafia, ladyboys,jet ski bandits, rapists and the death beach.
    Rawai, lived here 18 months now and love the place
    Also lived in Patong, Kathu, Kata and Chalong in my opinion rawai is the best i bought a house here after looking all over the island

Rawai is definitively the best place to live in Phuket

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    What's great about living in Phuket? H'mmmm.
    Probably the least pleasant and most corrupt local people Thailand has to offer.
    Undoubtably the least friendly too, unless they are after your $, and the least honest.
    The absolute worst place to get around in Thailand (except maybe Bangkok). Taxi's a Mafia, and traffic a nightmare.
    Quite possibly the most expensive place to live in Thailand, for an expat. 'Phuket lobster' sucks big ones.
    The weather usually stinks, little respite from tropical humidity.
    Some nice beaches (but overcrowded), and vista's. But not worth the hassle, or money.

The best of Thailand is definitely well north of Bangkok. Better, more honest people, cheaper, and seasons.
    I would agree the best of Phuket is to be found in Rawaii and the south of the island.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I have visited both Phuket and Hua Hin recently after many years and have to admit Phuket slipped several slots downward on my favorites list. Looked at a beachfront condo in Rawai and thought seriously of purchasing, but ultimately decided against it.

Hua Hin was a pleasant surprise. Much cleaner than the rest of Thailand, in my opinion, along with better roads and less traffic. It has jumped up to the number two spot on my list of favorites switching places with Phuket.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    23-08-2021 @ 06:47 PM
    I have visited both Phuket and Hua Hin recently after many years and have to admit Phuket slipped several slots downward on my favorites list. Looked at a beachfront condo in Rawai and thought seriously of purchasing, but ultimately decided against it.

Hua Hin was a pleasant surprise. Much cleaner than the rest of Thailand, in my opinion, along with better roads and less traffic. It has jumped up to the number two spot on my list of favorites switching places with Phuket.
    Yea but Hua Hin beach quality will never compare to Phuket.

Phuket beaches are truly excellent. Like Patong beach it is just lovely and will be that way for many years to come, regardless the traffic and the rest of the trash.

Last Online
    04-11-2023 @ 10:02 AM
    Patong is not Phuket, That's where the majority of sexpats hang out until they run out of money and have to return to their home country to make some more to spend on the bar girls and keep them happy

Phuket is not expensive to live in compared to western countries, having travelled all over Thailand from Chiang Mai in the north to Satun in the south i have found no other province i would prefer to live in, its not worth the amount you save even if you really need to
    I would not live in Onslow WA either one visit was enough to last me the rest of my life and i feel the same way about out of the way provinces in Thailand

Rawai is our prefered area to live in and is very popular with retired self funded expats, also some business owners whose business premises are located elsewhere in Phuket

In our travels i have found the traffic in Phuket is no worse and quite often better to drive in than other provinces in Thailand, Bangkok and Korat had a lot more traffic jams when we have been there

If you can afford to live comfortably in retirement in Australia you can live better in Phuket for a lot less money

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I do have to admit that the beaches on Phuket are difficult to beat, but there are many other beaches in Thailand that would give Phuket a run for the money. What those beaches don't have is the choice of good restaurants, shopping, western comforts and the social aspect Phuket offers.

It all boils down to what one wants. I would like to find a beach location similar to how Phuket was 35 years ago. I am no longer into the tourist areas and everything that comes with the present day Thailand. Maybe my time has come and gone with regard to the old Thailand and its less in your face attitudes.

Last Online
    04-11-2023 @ 10:02 AM
    I do have to admit that the beaches on Phuket are difficult to beat, but there are many other beaches in Thailand that would give Phuket a run for the money. What those beaches don't have is the choice of good restaurants, shopping, western comforts and the social aspect Phuket offers.

It all boils down to what one wants. I would like to find a beach location similar to how Phuket was 35 years ago. I am no longer into the tourist areas and everything that comes with the present day Thailand. Maybe my time has come and gone with regard to the old Thailand and its less in your face attitudes.
    Try Khao lak, plenty of resorts and restaurants there and excellent beaches
    No girlie bars because the people in power do not want them
    More like Phuket was 20 years ago

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information