Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Looking very good SBF, congrats on house and new addition

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    The missus decided that a wall is required to keep out the village soi dogs.
    I have pretty much given her a free hand on this, which is probably a mistake - but I've been too busy at work to micromanage a wall.

So here is how it's been going so far.

Apparently only the front is going to be fancy. The back and sides will just be plain blocks.

This was a week or so ago.

And this is today......not too sure about the red, but it's my fault for relinquishing all control of this part of the process!

We're almost ready to occupy the place at the end of this month when I'm back for a while...
    The electric is still not connected yet, that is scheduled for a couple of weeks time (they say!), but we can "borrrow" the neighbour's electricity until then...

Last Online
    20-11-2018 @ 02:45 PM
    I like the fence. Not sure about the red but the yellow base ties it into the house. Front gate looks pretty sturdy, would be sweet with an motor.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Looking great SBF ,, handy to have the leccy on your side of the road to

Banned

Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Fence boards are red initially and then white primer and looks like the wife has some yellow planned down the road a bit SlimBoyFat. I like it, Cheap and does the job she wants. Don't leave out the cost of the new gate.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    You can now discuss with Wasp the thermal properties of rural Thai domestic walls in new builds with some authority.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat View Post
    The missus decided that a wall is required to keep out the village soi dogs.
    I have pretty much given her a free hand on this, which is probably a mistake - but I've been too busy at work to micromanage a wall.

So here is how it's been going so far.

Apparently only the front is going to be fancy. The back and sides will just be plain blocks.

This was a week or so ago.

And this is today......not too sure about the red, but it's my fault for relinquishing all control of this part of the process!

We're almost ready to occupy the place at the end of this month when I'm back for a while...
    The electric is still not connected yet, that is scheduled for a couple of weeks time (they say!), but we can "borrrow" the neighbour's electricity until then...
    Looks like a fair piece of property - landscaping and gardening from scratch.

That might be the most stimulating aspect of this project, SBF!

Best to ya!
    Cheers.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo View Post
    Very nice but I reckon you'll need guttering.
    Yes I reckon you are right. It's on the list to sort out before rainy season.
    Unless you wanna put in a rainwater tank, I'm not a believer in guttering in the tropics- when it rains heavily, it just overwhelms the guttering anyway. And having recently had to pay for repairs and painting for the guttering on our place down south, frankly I wish I hadn't bothered- we don't have guttering up here in Ubon, (except at the back to feed a rainwater tank), and really don't miss it. PVC is the best guttering material- but it's bluddy expensive.

Wow, 800 & sumfin K including the land- I wouldn't have thought that achievable in this day and age. Well done, and the place looks a little beauty.

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo View Post
    Very nice but I reckon you'll need guttering.
    Yes I reckon you are right. It's on the list to sort out before rainy season.
    Unless you wanna put in a rainwater tank, I'm not a believer in guttering in the tropics- when it rains heavily, it just overwhelms the guttering anyway. And having recently had to pay for repairs and painting for the guttering on our place down south, frankly I wish I hadn't bothered- we don't have guttering up here in Ubon, (except at the back to feed a rainwater tank), and really don't miss it. PVC is the best guttering material- but it's bluddy expensive.
    Interesting opinion. Maybe will see how it goes when the rain starts then take it from there.

Last Online
    07-01-2017 @ 09:16 AM
    Looks very good SBF. I like the size, location,price, etc. Lets just say you chose wisely.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-07-2016 @ 05:52 AM
    Looking nicer and nicer SBF. Don't forget to post pics when the garden's done.

By the way, good idea to have the wall considering you've got wide road frontage. I suggest planting a few mature trees outside the wall to prevent random somchais testing its strength with their pick-ups and motocys on the way back after a night out.

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    You have a heap of land there Fatty.

Gona have fun there EH.

Onya, cracking little gaff.

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Yeah Terry I could probably buy about 10 square feet of condo in Singapore for the price of this land.

Happy days

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang
    I agree. When our build was underway, I was totally convinced that we needed gutters and there was a lot of discussion on the subject. I was persuaded to wait and see; so we did.

After several months of rain (very heavy at times) it became obvious that gutters were not necessary at all.....as long as the land is properly graded to slope away from the building...which it is.

A concrete and tiled walkway around the building --(sloping outwards slightly) keeps the water away from the walls and the tendency of water to run downhill does the rest. Saved meself 40-50K.....

Last Online
    14-05-2015 @ 10:55 AM

Compacted earth?

Hi there!
    I'm very curious about the land you built on. Did you compact the earth? Did you have it checked out first? How far down did you sink the columns?
    Wonderful project- it looks fantastic!

Last Online
    02-04-2024 @ 06:07 AM
    Great house, love the Koi tiles in the bathroom. Your misses did a really nice job. Congrats and hope for the best.

Part time poster
    Last Online
    The house is pretty much just a holiday home now as I need to continue working in Singapore as I'm not quite ready to retire / descend into alcoholic oblivion in the moo ban just yet. My wife and daughter also stay with me in Singapore but we just had a holiday in Thailand and they are there now while waiting for my daughters UK passport to (hopefully) show up in BKK for collection.

At last we have aircon in the bedroom now and from the pic my wife sent me it seems that our daughter is enjoying being able to have a cool afternoon nap.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Seems a hell of a lot oh house for 1m baht
    Fair play you done a hell of a job

Last Online
    Hi SBF,
    My missus is also organizing a fence around our house. Blocks on 3 sides and something like you have at the front. She's organized a local builder to start and he's quoted B260k, but this doesn't include the sliding gate or the slats, ( we'll prob use metal ) in the front, just the blocks and paint. How much did you pay?

Part time poster
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Hi SBF,
    My missus is also organizing a fence around our house. Blocks on 3 sides and something like you have at the front. She's organized a local builder to start and he's quoted B260k, but this doesn't include the sliding gate or the slats, ( we'll prob use metal ) in the front, just the blocks and paint. How much did you pay?
    Hi FatOne,

I wasn't around at wall / gate time - I've just messaged my wife and she can't remember exactly as it was a bit complicated.

We had the guy who built the house do the front wall and gate and he charged 55,000 baht for the workmanship alone - my wife went with her brother and bought all of the materials so there was no mark up for the builder there.

The sides and back wall were done by her nephew (for peanuts) to save costs.

I suppose it depends where you are in Thailand how much you get charged by builders.
    This builder was a friend of my brother in law. I'd say that we got lucky that he was both competitively priced and reasonably competent.

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat
    I've just messaged my wife and she can't remember exactly as it was a bit complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat
    I'd say that we got lucky

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Hi SBF,
    I paid that for my wall without fencing ~1 Rai
    But we had to put cantilever in because we had to retain 1.2m of Earth from the paddy fields and I put in a filter drain myself

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 04:52 PM
    A home to be proud to be going home to. Congratulations and well done.

Last Online
    14-02-2022 @ 06:52 PM
    great value for the money. props.

Last Online
    Hi SBF, thanks for the reply. I reckon my quote is a bit on the high side, but what can you do when so far away. The back wall will be double thickness to retain all the dirt we have put in there as you would have seen from my thread. Your house is looking great. I will probably go over to my home in about a year, maybe less. We are saving to finish it off, but I am now on the pension so time is no prob.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information