Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-04-2024 @ 03:22 PM
    Hi BB .

Yes it took Missy a while to realise that you don't negotiate at Sainsbury's .
    And now she quite enjoys knowing what's what .

A bag is £85 and that's that ...... until the Sales come along .

And she enjoys the other similar benefits --- that for example a train due to leave at 14:15 is highly likely to be pulling out of the station at 14:15.
    But her Thai friends still think that a promise to arrive at 4 in the afternoon means anything from 11am to 9:30pm.

I took Missy to Ascot Races .

For the 2:00 race the horses were down at the start and milling around the gates at 1:57 and she wanted to know why they don't go . I explained to her that races are not permitted to start even a minute early. They CAN start a couple of minutes late but 2:00 normally means 2:00.
    And this means the last race will indeed go off at 6:00 and we can thus plan to be on the 6:50 train and be home about 8:00.

We have also been to Goodwood and Kempton. With the same time-keeping accuracy.

Then back in Issann I discover that Korat has a stadium and regular Horse Racing meetings .

So we went .

Utter chaos of course .
    They have a betting system that I cannot understand ...... but anyway the first race is due off at 01:00 and they have a proper starting stall ( well it's a rope ) and they even have lights like in Formula 1 !!!
    Just before 01:00 these lights come on and then a big digital counter .
    WOW !!!! This is better than Ascot !!!!!

Counting down the seconds now - 59 , 58 , 57 , 56 ... ( there doesn't seem to be a lot happening ) ..........
    43 , 42 , .......... 20 , 19 , 18 ......... 10 , 9 , 8 , 7 , 6 , 5 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 , 0!!!

A bell rings . A red light flashes into life . And nothing at all happens .

I now think that the bell must be connected to the cock-fighting ring behind the arena .
    And it tells the jockeys that there's a few mouldy horses been spotted about the place and they might possibly consider finishing their whisky and their cigarettes , leave their cocks alone and mayhap think about maybe choosing a coloured t-shirt for the race .
    Doesn't matter what colour as the winner has been chosen already .

" And when you've got a t-shirt pick up any number you fancy and then go and sit on whatever horse you would like ."
    Of course the colour and the number bear no relation at all to the number on the horses ( for one or two weary horses do indeed have numbers on them ).

Next to me on the ground are three stone drunk somchais who are supposed to be out there holding the rope and waving a yellow flag .

But they clearly can't be arsed .

At roughly twenty to 2 a group of shitty-looking nags did indeed trot down the dustpath showing I'd say a 4% interest in breaking beyond a trot.

I didn't win . Nobody told me before the race who the winner was going to be and anyway I believe some gangsters changed their mind about the winner and chose the one that staggered over the line first .

A major shock for all attending .

There were other races .
    I'm convinced the same horses were in every race . They just had a break occasionally to vary the numbers in the ' race ' . With the jockeys swopping t-shirts.
    I even won a bit of money somehow !!!
    My horse came stone last but I got paid out because the same horse owner had another horse in that race which won and they got a bit confused and paid out on both of his horses .

Doesn't happen at Ascot but it's an idea I might put to them .

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 07-11-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Question

Late Saturday we got a message that our bus man had returned .

Unhappy that we hadn't desperately pursued him to take his offer ....... so he cunningly came back .

With a lower offer ????????

The logic escapes me ,

Wsp

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    ^Heh...The mind boggles...No wonder some go crazy here...

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    They seem to be happy to wait years to sell land in our village, the theory seems to be that someone will turn up sooner or later.

Martinimus Maximus III

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    We have had TWO utter utter liars who have turned up saying they were ' agents ' who had buyers absolutely and definitely desperate to buy this land .

And for a payment of 12 000 Baht they will introduce this ' definite ' sale .

" Ooooh ! " says Missy " Sound good ."

" Yes " says me .
    " We will absolutely accept the introduction and we will honestly and definitely pay you 12 000 Baht from the cash we get for the land . "

It went no further .

Surprising hey ?

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:55 PM

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    We have had TWO utter utter liars who have turned up saying they were ' agents ' who had buyers absolutely and definitely desperate to buy this land .
    And for a payment of 12 000 Baht they will introduce this ' definite ' sale .
    " Ooooh ! " says Missy " Sound good ."
    " Yes " says me .
    " We will absolutely accept the introduction and we will honestly and definitely pay you 12 000 Baht from the cash we get for the land . "
    It went no further .
    Surprising hey ? Wasp
    Wasp, that was brilliant! Faces saved all around.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Yep...Had that happen before...Will pay you when you bring in the customer and the deal is settled...

Never seen again...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Yep...Had that happen before...Will pay you when you bring in the customer and the deal is settled...

Never seen again...

Terp talks kindly about saving face ....... but it's such a lying face .

Why do we have to show sensitivity to their feelings of ' face ' when they don't deserve it ?
    When it's straight lying ..... fraud if you like ?

I feel more like smacking that face !!!

But I suppose for that moment's satisfaction you get years of hostility or even danger .

I gotta tell you about a little bit of this ' face ' .
    Missy told me it would be a wise move to pop into the Police post occasionally and take them a cold drink - maybe some skewers of pork .
    Total cost of 100 Baht .

So I did .

The bloody police think I'm a great farang now so when I was there again they put a stupid wooden snake near my chair .
    Missy's look said " Pretend . Just pretend . " So I had to jump in terror at the sight of this toy.
    And now I have to do it again every time they prop the damn ridiculous thing near me.
    I can't tell them to stop and I can't tell them I was acting or that I can see it's a ludicrously unrealistic toy ! Bloody Nora !

But it does mean I can pretty much ignore the traffic rules when I am anywhere near them .

Wasp

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Heh...Makes you wonder who the real snakes are...

I always maintain that I have a face "to uphold" as well...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Smile

Terp talks kindly about saving face ....... but it's such a lying face .
    Why do we have to show sensitivity to their feelings of ' face ' when they don't deserve it ?
    When it's straight lying ..... fraud if you like ?
    I feel more like smacking that face !!!
    But I suppose for that moment's satisfaction you get years of hostility or even danger .
    I gotta tell you about a little bit of this ' face ' . Missy told me it would be a wise move to pop into the Police post occasionally and take them a cold drink - maybe some skewers of pork .
    Total cost of 100 Baht .
    So I did .
    The bloody police think I'm a great farang now so when I was there again they put a stupid wooden snake near my chair .
    Missy's look said " Pretend . Just pretend . " So I had to jump in terror at the sight of this toy.
    And now I have to do it again every time they prop the damn ridiculous thing near me.
    I can't tell them to stop and I can't tell them I was acting or that I can see it's a ludicrously unrealistic toy ! Bloody Nora !
    But it does mean I can pretty much ignore the traffic rules when I am anywhere near them . Wasp
    It was indeed a compliment Wasp. But as you know from my building thread, I myself have lost it a couple times when they (especially the one foreman) lied to me. I agree: most of the time face saving is just an easy way out for them, without having to acknowledge, let alone take responsibility for, their purposeful wrongdoing. I tell them that, when they lie to me, they are insulting and disrespecting me. They do seem to understand that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy
    I always maintain that I have a face "to uphold" as well...
    Exactly, BB! And my face needs more "upholding" as the years fly by.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    ^Heh..."Ain't" that the truth...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    terp80 : I tell them that, when they lie to me, they are insulting and disrespecting me. They do seem to understand that.

Missy has learned to say to me ...... " I not lie . Ching ching . I not liar same bloody Thai people . " And all the time she has her fingers crossed .

WHO TAUGHT HER THAT ?

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Angry

Remember the " bus " man ?

Well he is back and he has a new angle all connected to this ' face ' question .

We aren't there .
    Missy's father has no say about this block of land . But still the " bus " man has sought out the father .

And he's saying now that in the case of his last ( reduced and useless ) offer .......
    he had told his friends about his offer and talked to his orbutor and now he is losing " face " with these people because we turned down his offer !!!!

The little prick .

So he's saying that to save HIS face we should accept his { shit } offer !!!!!

I will be there in January and must self-control so as not to deal differently with the turd's " face " .

Wsp
    Last edited by Wasp; 06-12-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Cool

Remember the " bus " man ?
    Well he is back and he has a new angle all connected to this ' face ' question .
    We aren't there . Missy's father has no say about this block of land . But still the " bus " man has sought out the father .
    And he's saying now that in the case of his last ( reduced and useless ) offer .......
    he had told his friends about his offer and talked to his orbutor and now he is losing " face " with these people because we turned down his offer !!!! The little prick .
    So he's saying that to save HIS face we should accept his { shit } offer !!!!!
    I will be there in January and must self-control so as not to deal differently with the turd's " face " .
    Amazing lack of logic and understanding - or maybe it's his modus operandi. Wasp, this guy is making me angry now, and I'm thousands of miles away (too).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    You can get away with a lot with this " face " thing .

You can do anything you want , you can turn up late or not at all , you can cheat --- and the fallang must not show his anger for fear that the shit will lose " face " !!!!

" Bollocks " - say I .

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Smile

You can get away with a lot with this " face " thing .
    You can do anything you want , you can turn up late or not at all , you can cheat --- and the fallang must not show his anger for fear that the shit will lose " face " !!!!
    " Bollocks " - say I .
    And say I Waspie. "Face" is a two-way street. I let the one foreman know it a few times. I think he thought I was more of a hothead lunatic than a "normal" farang. And maybe that was not a bad impression for him to have.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

The Land Has Gone !

This block of land has gone !

A big surprise !!!!

And not a bus Parking area .

You folks all know perfectly well that land can stay on sale for years until someone comes along and shows some interest .
    Then there's all the dragged out negotiations and face-saving and " agents " .
    We had no idea that anyone was talking to anyone - but we have had an offer of 465 000 and the whole thing is a settled cash deal.

Accepted.

Its a clever deal too .

THREE people have got together ( 465 000 divides tidily into 3 ) and they are cutting the land into 3 sections .
    The front section will be smaller because its Prime right on the road and that guy will put a shop there . Motorbike repairs . Probably he'll sleep there too .

Behind the shop the second people will be putting a house . Not stacks of space but it's right in the middle of town and a two minute walk to the Korat bus for work . He works at a Market there . The house will be around 80 sq m .

And behind that .... in the final Third ..... rather cleverly .... the guy who runs the successful sookee restaurant nearby will put up a garage/ storeroom and will park his pickup there and also store stuff .
    Which means that at his eating place just over the road he will free up the side of the restaurant where he normally parks the pickup and his delivery bike .
    He can expand the restaurant area into that parking/utility space and place an extra 3 tables .
    These tables are needed as the restaurant is full so often and of course it's extra revenue .

I think it's all rather well thought out and we had no knowledge at all about it . And no input.
    It is going ahead too . Missy has received 50 000 and the restaurant guy is running the whole thing and he's a proper serious business guy .
    She's going out there in one week's time anyway so it's just excellent timing .

I'm going to be interested to see if they build the house - With Windows - closer than 2 metres to the boundary !!

Wasp

************************************************** **********************************
    Last edited by Wasp; 27-12-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Last Online
    02-07-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Nice to hear that the land was sold. How are u gonna spend all those money Buying a new plot?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    6kon Nice to hear that the land was sold. How are u gonna spend all those money.
    Buying a new plot?

Well it constantly surprises me how many Thais are living in Poverty but they have pieces of land all over the place that could sell for decent money .

Missy has another piece of land where she paid to dig out a fish farm but the brother could never be bothered to go and take fish out and sell them .

And she has a share of ANOTHER piece of land that is now of very high value .

With this piece of land that has now been sold I really enjoyed designing a house along with help from blue and Bettyboo .
    The money from this will go to the high value land .

That land really is extremely Prime . And it's BIG ...... situated in a very developed location . Construction has gone on all around this site but this block still has a small lake and they even still graze their buffalo on it .
    And there are 6 shamble houses .
    It is shared by Missy's mum ( who died ) , 4 sisters and one brother . Someone has to pay to survey it and cut the land into 6 legal and fair pieces .
    All of which will be bigger than the one that has just been sold ..... and in a much more pricey location .

So what will happen to this B. 465 000 ?
    Well only Missy has the funds for a survey and the legals.
    When it's all done Missy will have a good size piece of land with a small lake .

The very first time I came onto Teakdoor it was with questions about building a house out into water .... and this is where we will do it .
    Along with maybe two more for sale . ( Can I afford splitlid ? Probably not. )

So for me I get to work with Sketchup again !!!

DeveloperWasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 27-12-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Last Online
    That's great news Wasp!! And another thread for TD construction soon to start. With all your usual merry banter.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Red face

The ' Merry Banter ' is not welcomed by everyone .
    There's some right miseries in here who just want stories about how many bolts were used and how much each bolt cost .

Designing and plans for the next project are a good way in the future as the family has to be satisfied first and THAT could take a year .
    I can't even ask questions because I asked a long time ago about the construction in water and got lots of help then .
    I even got ( welcome ) suggestions about what fish to maintain in the lake if I want to keep down the mozzies !

Strangely I got loads of help from the much-maligned Dr. Andy .... who was helpful in extremis . This guy got loads of criticism on TD ..... and I'm not doubting what people say ....... so I went looking but I never found anything bad from him .
    But maybe I looked in the wrong places.

So as I say ...... this Thread is obviously winding out now Marts as the land is disappearing but it will be a while before the Bahts can be spent on the next build .

And someone has told Missy there are Casinos in Macau !!!

PlaceYourBetsPleaseWasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 28-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Last Online
    See you in your next thread mate!

Last Online
    @
    And someone has told Missy there are Casinos in Macau !!!
    There are and they are fun....bring lots of money, they bet big there. I have been 3 times.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    In this Thread there was much discussion and explanation about wanting to build an extension right on the boundary line .

I thought I could incorporate the boundary wall . Build it up and make it a side wall of the new build .

Helpful TeakDoor people told me I can't do that .
    I must be 2 metres back from the boundary line ...... or 1 metre if there are no windows in that wall .

Has ANYONE ever come into any dispute doing that ? Has anyone built 1 metre back and put windows into the wall ? And then had problems ?

Has anyone known of construction right on the boundary line that has then run into trouble because of it ?

I had formed the impression that construction away from say Bangkok and Pattaya was a free-for-all .
    Anyone at all ever been challenged on this ?

Purely out of interest.

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 22-10-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information