Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

A weekend in Kuala Lumpur (With Pics)hopefully

Air Asia A320/200 from Suratthani to KL plus 3 nights budget accommodation in KL, less than 100Great British quids.
    This version of the aircraft has 186 passenger seats, but on this flight only 12 passengers and 4 cabin staff. No alcohol in flight and only snacks and soft drinks for sale on board

On arrival at KLIA2 the newer airport, they have well staffed immigration counters and apart from photo and fingerprints it's all over quickly. Through duty free and on to the arrivals terminal with the odd cabbie cruising for a fare. He only wanted MYR180 for the trip downtown. I will use local currency from here on and for those who want a rough idea of the cost in Thai baht just add a zero on the end.
    No thanks cabbie instead of lining your pockets, I will take the airport express for MYR35 and 33 minutes. Better than an hour and a half in a cab, plus funds are saved for drinking.
    My two new Australian pals. On the airport express which runs from KL to the city. Air conditioned and no overcrowding. About 27km from downtown KL Sentral.

The guy on the left is from Iran and the other guy is Malaysian.

Hotel Kita is in Chow KIt about 6km from KL Sentral so I haggle for a cab, MYR30 from Sentral to hotel.
    Cabbie wants to sell me an English woman called Doris. No thanks mate I'm only here for the beer and the sport.

The room is small but clean and quiet with aircon and TV. Most staff and guests are muslim and helpful and inobtrusive repectively.
    Heart of Gold and a Knob of butter.

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    KLAI 2 is a brilliant Airport and the train into town is brilliant as well.

Really like KL and Malaysia in general.

The New Tune hotel at the Airport is also great value with good rooms, I stay in it the night before I fly out, just walk to the Airport for the Flight.

Connected by a covered walk way and only a few minutes away.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The hotel is 40 minutes from KL Sentral and MYR300 by taxi, but the young lad on reception guides me a few hundred metres from the hotel to the local monorail station. Only MYR2.5 and 9 stops and 20 minutes to downtown. The staions are between 500m and 1km apart.

The trains were opened in 2003 and look a bit like a fairground ride, but the do the job ok and are air conditioned. KL is very humid all year round so the fans on the platforms are also welcome.

The service crosses the city in all directions just like London Underground but with better views.

The Petronas Towers as seen from my local monorail station. They dominate the city for obvious reasons.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The 'Overground' Map

Just 2 stops from my base in Chow Kit is Bukit Nanas, a short walk to the Petronas Towers.

This building is impressive by day but even more so at night.

I am told they turn the lights of about 10pm if you want the night time money shot.
    I finally made it to the recommended Beach Club Cafe, just a short walk from the towers, where I suddenly became a hansum man. This was early evening about 5.30pm so the place was quiet. The women were from Vietnam, Philippines, Iran, Pakistan, Thailand and elsewhere. The Viet lady I spoke to was glad of the chance to gossip which was all she was getting anyway. She told me the club stays open until 2-3am and she usually goes home around midnight, because the club is often raided by police in the early hours and the girls arrested, mostly on visa infractions, Between 30 and 40 girls work there, and the raids mean that the faces change on a regular basis. The ones I saw were ok but one or two looked strung out already despite the early hour.

This lonesome shark lives in a tank above the bar at the Beach Club. Corona beer was MYR29 for a small bottle.

I stayed for one and went to the bar/restaurant next door. I was just finishing and excellent Beefburger and fries when I realised I should have taken a pic. Burger MYR35 and Corona again MYR29.

I returned on the Sunday evening to an Irish Bar on the same street as Beach club. I was approached by a Malaysian bloke for girls and bar service in a side street but declined. Fok I was hungry man!

The manager was a Lithuanian about 30 years old and very accommodating. Corona for aperitif, before I tucked in to Guinness Steak and Mash, washed down with ...

A most acceptable libation with which to complete my evening. The pie was filled with decent steak in mouth melting chunks, served under a flaky pastry and piping hot in a stainless pan.
    Pie MYR34
    Corona MYR29
    Kilkenny draught bitter MYR27

Although it sounds pricey, it's worth remembering this is a fairly modern cosmopolitan city and you would pay more or less the same in European capitals. Service and ambiance was good and the place was clean and comfortable.

I could only believe the business of 50% Muslim population in the daytime. At night the place was dominated by Indians and Chinese.
    The streets had none of the grubbiness often associated with Bangkok and never felt threatened in anyway despite lengthy walks on fairly empty streets in the evenings.
    There were a couple of scenes that greeted me on my way back from Helay Mac's on Sunday night. This gathering on the corner near my hotel were watching the Man U v City game.

On the same corner was a major Junction. Sunday night is Bike Night in Chow Kit.

Last Online
    09-11-2014 @ 01:26 PM
    Great thread this, I recently returned form KL, did you do the Towers?

5 4 Knoll
    Last Online
    @
    Good pix thanks the new and the grime of tropical rain on concrete.
    Does chowkit still have unique aroma delightful fragrantfrangipani,masala sauces,tandoors with a hint of stale piss cheap cooking oil hairoil indian incense chinese noodle and damp pussy?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Walked my legs off over the three night there and although there were other photo ops, I left the camera and phone in my room the first night.
    Unable to download the phone pics due to a hardware malfunction. I hope you b'stards are grateful for the effort that went into my first photo thread, assuming you can see the pics that is.
    Respect to other pic posters too.
    One last shot for the girls. Plenty of malls all the way along the monorail journey, which follows the main roads into the city. Shopping is for girls.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Fohk. There is a trip up the Towers where you go on the veiwing platform that joins the towers and up near the top too. The price was 6 pints of Kilkenny. Fohk that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by david44
    Good pix thanks the new and the grime of tropical rain on concrete. Does chowkit still have unique aroma delightful fragrantfrangipani,masala sauces,tandoors with a hint of stale piss cheap cooking oil hairoil indian incense chinese noodle and damp pussy?
    Your welcome Dave.
    Many senses were indeed assaulted. The humidity was quite oppressive and although I always travel with emergency undercrackers, I did have to go out and buy a couple of extra polo shirts.

Before anyone mentions the lack of snatch, I was acutely aware of the modest dress standards among local ladies. The odd Korean tourist slapper apart, even the Malays were mostly covered. The Muslims of course adhered to their own dress code.
    There were pretty girls aplenty of Indian, Malay and Chinese extraction, I just didn't fancy getting my face slapped and camera confiscated. No where near as vein as Thai girls.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    Fohk. There is a trip up the Towers where you go on the veiwing platform that joins the towers and up near the top too. The price was 6 pints of Kilkenny. Fohk that.
    Worth a view. I had a couple of shots of tequila to get me up there. I won't hijack your thread but the views are spectacular. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Gohills flip-flops wearer
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    One last shot for the girls.
    Cheers Chas.

Last Online
    21-11-2014 @ 11:59 AM
    If only Thailand had been blessed with decent British colonization.

Last Online
    28-10-2023 @ 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    If only Thailand had been blessed with decent British colonization.
    Then it wouldnt be diffrent would it

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    Unable to download the phone pics due to a hardware malfunction.
    Softly, softly catchy the, erm, fucking photographs. Break out the USB lead Chas and get busy with it.

Very enjoyable effort so far, though.

Last Online
    Activate the bluetooth and get them on your computer. I'm looking forward to this too.

Gohills flip-flops wearer
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fohk
    bluetooth
    Just because he's English, no need to be rude.

Last Online
    I see.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Nice report and pics, Chaz!

Cheers.

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    The trip up the viewing platform at the Twin towers used to be free. A few years ago they slapped a very hefty fee on it. Bastards.

Large bottles of Guinness to be had in China Town for 17 ringgit.

I like that.

Nice thread Chas.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    29-04-2023 @ 08:08 AM
    Excellent trip report chass, loved the pics and the humour, glad you had a good re union with your amigo

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    20-11-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    I remember the Beach Bar, iffy Chinese prostitutes pretending to be Thai

The Pikey Hunter
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Beach club changed location earlier this year. I haven't visited the new one yet.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Nce report mate. Sounds like a good trip.

Last Online
    @
    Nice trip report, Chas. Thanks.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    24-01-2024 @ 07:02 AM
    nice pics^^

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information