Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-07-2018 @ 10:23 AM

Traditional teak wood guest house

Right well Im going to start with some drawings and go from there.

These are concept drawings very basic, as is my ability on sketchup for the guesthouse, gate and garage. The land is an unconventional shape but luckily wider at the entrance. Im hoping to build a traditional hybrud post beam garage, and as close as possible to a real ricebarn for the guesthouse. There will be of course internal modifications.

This side view on the land shows what we are dealing with a very narrow plot only 11m wide at its narrowest section. Lucily the front is about 17m and allows an open driveway to park. I have left some construction open to show the builder what im hoping to achieve.

Looking down the ricebarn, the ricebarn is not fully completed because we arw still undecided on the terrace and stairs section. The downstairs will be enclosed at the end wall to house a kitchen. There might also be a downstairs toilet.apart from that it should be open and have a nice garden surrounding.

Side profile. Im pretty happy with this layout again although basic it gives me a more detailed view of what we want to create.

Idea of downstairs kitchen the back wall will be handmade bricks and will hide the downpipes from the above ensuite. The sun is correctly positioned with the side you see facing south. This will not have big open glass windows but much smaller windows to let in light. There will be a big folding door to terrace with glass to let in natural light. This is facing west with less exposure to sun.

Basic floor plan, showing kitchen, island and seating. Antiques will fill the space with the option of a corner downstairs toilet yet to be added. This ricebarn was picked up with a lot of very nice teak. Using old traditional methods of joinery which we hope to reuse in construction.

We will simply be adding a terrace and internal wall to devide the bedroom and ensuite.

We hope to start this side of the year finishing early next year maybe april/may.

Look out for more info and pics in the next few weeks. Planning has be given, we are just looking into concrete contractors to get us started.

Thank you.
    im hot its so hot today.......milk was a bad choice!

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Spend a few baht and give yourself a covered walkway from the garage to the house.
    Or add some support to pull a few pillars and put the car underneath the house and turn the garage into a sala.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    Good luck with the build, i much prefer kitchen to be walled, not like cooking with the mossies.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Spend a few baht and give yourself a covered walkway from the garage to the house.
    Or add some support to pull a few pillars and put the car underneath the house and turn the garage into a sala.
    Thanks necron. I think what I would like to do is use the wall that you see and have wood posts aligned with the concrete ones and make as you say a covered walkway along the wall. Probably enough deep to stop and sit down, well, it is 45+ meteres to the main house.

Thank you a geat idea!

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack View Post
    Good luck with the build, i much prefer kitchen to be walled, not like cooking with the mossies.
    You could be right, it might have to be put along the back and enclosed. All things to iron out after we ge the main structure in place. Thank you for your thoughts.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    Ben was it you that built the Mud brick house.?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    No I think that was DAN, Ive built a traditional wooden house, although cob, adobe or even straw bales do interest me for some kind of outbuilding. In chiangmai I have seen a few cob buildings built, some bad sime very good. I prefer to use reclained wood, plentiful, available at a reasonable cost and naturally suited to this environment.

Last Online
    12-11-2015 @ 02:07 AM
    Nice house! Just be careful not to fall off the balcony though!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Ben, just an idle thought - if you changed the orientation of the garage by 90 degrees so that the back of it faced the side property boundary, and the garage side faced the road then it would probably make it a bit easier to use. Looking at where the truck is parked on your picture it would take a bit of jiggling about/concentration to get it into that parking slot having just driven through the gate.

Other than that it all looks really good - how are you planning on supporting the balcony - some type of cantilever thing or will there be supports?

Last Online
    26-03-2024 @ 08:49 PM
    Your first floor balcony will be a little springy.

Your roof is very basic. A curve and more height would improve the aesthetics.

Some "squiggly" bits at the ends also helps.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Your first floor balcony will be a little springy.

Your roof is very basic. A curve and more height would improve the aesthetics.

Some "squiggly" bits at the ends also helps.
    I don't know how high the beams are and what the balcony dimensions are but those beams have to be huge with cantilevers over 1 meter.
    If you want I can run it through my calculation software.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 05:28 PM

Smile

Ben these drawings of yours are very nice .

You did them on Sketchup ? They're good .

Tell me please .... how do you get them from Sketchup onto your Thread ?
    I'm having to process mine through Photoshop first and its a pain .

I do like the look of all this .

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    If your looking for more teak Ben, give me a PM.

I have a house (100% teak) up North that we are looking to sell.

The wood has already been priced to be worth around the 500k mark.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    I think the support structure design is unorthodox. The center to center column dimension?Column spacing 'appears' tight and uncomodious to living.
    Not sure the roof will be supported properly the way you have designed it. See a structural engineer.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    I think the support structure design is unorthodox. The center to center column dimension?Column spacing 'appears' tight and uncomodious to living.
    Not sure the roof will be supported properly the way you have designed it. See a structural engineer.
    No need for a structural engineer, I think this sketchup drawing doesn't really show the correct structure yet. I guess it's more of a sketch.

Anyway, if you build it like this drawing all the rooftiles will have to magically fly without horizontal beams. The roof cantilver seems quite impossible with heavy roof tiles as well. The floorplanks are flying around too, hehe.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    ^You'd be surprised the 'drawings' people take to builders and expect them to solve the problems in design.

5 4 Knoll
    Last Online
    @

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Exaclty my idea ,double up ,the space can still be free when vehicle out or for parties etc.Don male error did and leave some deck beyond the roof,lead to nast wet slippery ,where wood will age /rot unless use makkan/teak .

Otherwise a nce airflow a wish to look at some of the Quuensland designs and consider where kitchen aromas/flames will go,I'd place kitchen under exterior deck rather tha living area.up to you good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer View Post
    I just want the chance to use a bigger porridge bowl.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Ben these drawings of yours are very nice .

You did them on Sketchup ? They're good .

Tell me please .... how do you get them from Sketchup onto your Thread ?
    I'm having to process mine through Photoshop first and its a pain .

I do like the look of all this .

Wasp
    Hi Wasp

They are just quick sketches on sketchup. I try to make exact material builds with the appropriate techniques, not just fascias of what will be there so I can visualize the materials we will need. You can export the currrent view on sketch up by going to file and export picture in 2d then save to your computer. upload to photobucket or other and copy into the teak door picture upload thing.

However things like stairs are a drag so I hadnt put them in. The idea has changed and the new plans have been submitted to the amphur. We should have finished drawings by end of month. Although we already have planning.

A covered walkway upto house with roof and lights is now in consideration. We are expecting to build a gate a wall a rice barn and terrace to the house. As well as finish the wood house completely with 2nd kitchen and all the small bits that didnt get done first time round.

Hope that helps?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogon View Post
    If your looking for more teak Ben, give me a PM.

I have a house (100% teak) up North that we are looking to sell.

The wood has already been priced to be worth around the 500k mark.

Hi Bogon

I have the wood thank you. i have plenty from our first build leftover and the rice barn we purchased a couple years back. Although in truth its more economical if you know what you want to buy the pieces you need for the build.

We were offered a rice barn that was very big 16 massive posts 10 x 18 meters very good condition for 500,000 badt. However it was just going to be too expensive to rebuild. Thank you and good luck selling the wood.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Hi Humbert

The design follows the original rice barn, you can see many exmaples in lots of 5 star hotels where the small post to post spacing works well for beds and the general layout of a bedroom/lounge ensuite setup. The roof is a pain to construct with sketch up so it doesnt show a true representation of the finished article.

The roof will be a traditional 45 deg double hip that will give height to the space inside. The ricebarn is an old no nails construction setup. Just mortice and tenon style joins.

In the new plans we have moved the posts around to extend the terrace within the original amount of posts and extending the roof. Ill update when I can redo sketchup or have plans.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Revision although quick please excuse the gap in roof etc it was done quickly.

there will be posts to support the extended roof over the walkway and steps, these will be carved and be the start of the garden walkway. I havent added these yet either.

This side faces north and so bigger windows will let in light, where as the south facing side will have smaller windows higher up the wall space. The doors leading from inside to terrace will have bi-folding window doors letting in plenty of light as well.

Last Online
    02-07-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Looks like it going to be a nice guest house. Looking forward to follow the process.

6kon

Thailand Expat

Last Online

Cut down Tree.

Get rid of Tree.

Use Truck to dispose of Tree.

Get builder.

Build fire!

Mark out dig holes.

Dig holes.

Get Useless person to help.

Rebar Done.

Last edited by benlovesnuk; 31-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Nice pics!

Good luck.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 05:28 PM
    So .... 23 days later ...... what progress ?

Wasp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information