Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 05:28 PM

Talking

And a proper ' Thanks ' .

Now this Thread is entering hibernation is a good time to say a serious Thanks .

When I got mightily miffed off I got pleasant words ( and sarcasm ) from a bunch of people saying " carry on " .Which made it hard to do .
    Because you look like a big stroppy girl if you say " Stuff this " and terp says " Come on " and you carry on !!!!

But now ....... thanks Marty , cnx , BKKBILL , biff , terp , Baitong Boy ... and most of all Roobarb .

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 13-10-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-08-2020 @ 12:54 AM
    oh, I was going to suggest a slight change, but if you've finished.........

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Question

Quote Originally Posted by splitlid View Post
    oh, I was going to suggest a slight change, but if you've finished.........

Well yes I think I'm done .
    I've exhausted the theme of distance from the boundary , I've pretty much settled on a design and I can't do anything until maybe February so I can't drag this out to 10 Pages like I was hoping to .

BUT ...... it's naughty to dangle a slight change and not tell me .
    Especially you splitlid .
    I was looking at your Thread earlier and thinking how it takes a special kind of brain to look at a mess of steel and tell us there's a 2m cube overhang in there !
    I can't see past a pile of steel .

So do tell ....... what's this slight change ?

And splitlid ..... I play around with Sketchup . You play around with something fantastically sophisticated no doubt . Is there a middle programme I can aspire to ?

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 13-10-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    nothing to worry about mate, just that I see a dead space where the bathroom and spare room are. having the bathroom opening onto a living area is a bit of a no no(even with the 45 degree wall).
    I would bring the wall forward inline with the kitchen bathroom. making a small hall way where the 3 doors lead off from. this would also allow some storage space to be included.
    I don't think I have seen any dimensions on your models, if you tell me the room sizes I can show you what I mean.

also, a way to get around the boundary wall/window issue is to put windows in the walls that protrude out, so if you extend a room 1m then you put the window in the 1m wall not the long wall facing the boundary.

I think sketchup is still widely used by architect when they are developing an idea, however, there is still a great majority using autocad, and the younger generation are using BIM programs such as Revit, vectorworks, archicad etc, all have a steep learning curve but they are able to document designs much better.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Smile

In general terms the posts are 4 metres apart .
    And though I switched the toilet around according with blue's suggestion I think I'll change it back .

Blue's idea made the plumbing much easier ..... but I don't like coming out of the main bedroom and seeing the toilet door like that .

And splitty my old bean ...... I do dislike having a little corridor with 3 doors .
    It makes me feel extremely claustrophobic . That's why I made an angle like that . Just a tiny touch of style .

I was confused by your 1m ' wall out' idea ............ but I think I understand it now .
    You mean change the shape from a rectangle and thus having a window facing up or down the line and not towards the boundary .

See I knew you were one clever little sausage splitzee .

I might get to 10 pages now because I have a reason to go back to Sketchup and play around again !!!
    biff and Baitong will be pleased .... but I'm not sure about Betty and Marty.

Splitlid ..... it's Monday morning so of course I was looking for a house to buy in Okinawa.
    When I saw this one I immediately thought ' splitlid would like that ' .

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 13-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    here is what I mean about the windows.in the master suite.

I cant believe you would think I like that monstrosity.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I do prefer the bathroom where it is as per Blues suggestion.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Where is everyone ?

Derr's only you and me talking on diss ere Forum .

Many thank you for the drawing . That's my next 3 hours taken care of .
    And I've got a leak here in my radiators somewhere . Can you help with that ?
    Send me a drawing of what to look for.

Actually I did think you'd like the simplicity of the lines in that house . Small footprint . Maximising the space . Clean lines and 90 degree angles .
    Maybe the colour is wrong .
    It's only 80 000 Thai baht a month to rent !!!!

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Well Neverna .

I've just found the comment you've posted about me .

" Stupid Twat "

Thanks for that Neverna . Nicely expressed .

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    80k a month, wow, it does have some excellent features, like the post box, and the tiny balcony railing whose design matches the house so well.

your leaking radiator......damn......I remember those. haven't seem one for a few years but.
    good luck with that.

I will be here in 3 hours to see your next design change.
    keep up the good work. a good design takes time and effort. I know your putting in the hard yards, and it will all pay off in the end.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Well Mein Splitsy .....

I did a bit of extending just to see the effect . Didn't concentrate too much on wall accuracy but did go just one metre.

I thought I was being generous allowing 4 metres between posts . 4.5 metres would be handy .... or 5 metres .
    Is that OK on a standard ordinary build like this ?

And the problem that leaps out is the post in the middle of that spare room .

It is just a spare room . Good for storage and as a super emergency bedroom but it's looking awkward .

I like getting a bit more space in the bedroom .
    Another metre in fact.

And a serious question split ...... the walls are 2.8 metres high . Building 15 metres by 8 . How high should I be taking the roof line .

I'll play some more - along the lines of extending also the storage and ensuite for the Main Bedroom.

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 13-10-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Hi Waspy,

I'm still here, reading your posts, just haven't had anything remotely intelligent to say. Keep it up, not sure if I'm a fan of green floors, but then again each to his own!

Marty

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Hi Wasp,

column shuttering comes in 3m lengths so 3m columns are good with a ceiling height about 2.7-2.8m, the 1m extra will have an effect on your ceiling height as the pitch of the roof make the walls in the 1m area lower than the 3m the rest are, but you can put a raked or bulkhead ceiling in that area.
    I wouldn't get to hung up on column positioning, draw up the design you want and give it to the architect, the engineer if good, will sort out those issues.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    a bit like this

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    I'm still here too old bean observing. If I may say I wouldnt bother with the post in the middle of the room. Like splitlid said your architect should sort it, leave it out and just increase size and grade of steel to span the bit with the post not there.
    SCROTUM PASS ME PISTOL

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bankao dreamer View Post
    I'm still here too old bean observing. I wouldnt bother with the post in the middle of the room. Like splitlid said your architect should sort it, leave it out and just increase size and grade of steel to span the bit with the post not there.

Shouldn't you be out somewhere sneaking up on innocent animals with a big knife ?

And what's all this about engineers ? steel ? architects ? Such luxuries are not seen anywhere near this area .

I do like the look of that sloped ceiling in the bedroom photograph though. It's cosy and interesting even if it's there with a purpose .
    But I will follow these words . Position posts where I want them and then let our local engineer figure it out .

Thanks splitlid , bankao .

Back to Sketchup I think . I've got 'til January.

Wasp

Last Online
    We don't have the luxury of architects here either and this was highlighted a week ago. We looked around a recently constructed bungalow because it is of a similar size to what I am going to build the inlaws. The wife wanted to get a feel for the internal dimensions. We looked up at the steel holding up a light weight steel sheet roof. Jesus if they had a triple layer of heavy concrete tiles there was still double the steel needed.
    The welding was poor at best. It turns out it was built by the same bloke who built our entrance gate. Now he is a good carpenter but knows bugger all about steel. So he just made sure by going over the top big time. I estimated there is about B40,000 to B50,000 worth of steel up there. I have just bought the steel for the Inlaws place. I'm only using light weight steel sheets and by copying a professionally built roof using the same materials that is on a restaurant close by, it my steel cost B5,000.

Last Online
    We don't have the luxury of architects here either and this was highlighted a week ago. We looked around a recently constructed bungalow because it is of a similar size to what I am going to build the inlaws. The wife wanted to get a feel for the internal dimensions. We looked up at the steel holding up a light weight steel sheet roof. Jesus if they had a triple layer of heavy concrete tiles there was still double the steel needed.
    The welding was poor at best. It turns out it was built by the same bloke who built our entrance gate. Now he is a good carpenter but knows bugger all about steel. So he just made sure by going over the top big time. I estimated there is about B40,000 to B50,000 worth of steel up there. I have just bought the steel for the Inlaws place. I'm only using light weight steel sheets and by copying a professionally built roof using the same materials that is on a restaurant close by, it my steel cost B5,000.

Bloody Internet connection, posted twice sorry Wasp.
    I haven't killed a defenceless animal for a week or 2 because they aren't big enough yet. But the knives are being kept sharp, soon very soon eat piggies eat.
    Last edited by bankao dreamer; 17-10-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Ask those people if they can make a door , weld a steel truss , bake a cake and it's always a " Yes " and a big smile .
    Is it an anxiety not to say " No " .
    A fear of missing out on some cash ?
    Or just straight out lies ????

A welding-carpenter ?

Wasp

Last Online
    A bit of everything I think.
    When the Wife asked the old crow why did they use all that steel she said the builder told her it would be permanent and is the strongest roof in the village.
    The fact that it probably doubled the budget for the modest structure it is didn't seem to enter her head. She is happy to go around the village bragging about having the strongest roof in the village. Probably because her kids payed for it and not her. Fortunately no Falang was involved in paying for it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Do you know, bankao ..... my favourite building in the whole World is the Pantheon in Rome ......

Those columns are MASSIVE . If you hug one you might get half way round it .

And there are 24 of them !! So Missy wasn't the first Roman King enthusiast.

And the reason there are 24 MASSIVE columns is that they had absolutely no idea how many columns - or how strong - would be needed to support the weight of the canopy . So they overdid it by a HUGE amount just to be sure .

My point being that your old crow can indeed go around the village bursting with pride and telling everybody that they built her roof in exactly the same way that they built the Pantheon in Rome !

This might be an excellent point at which to finish this Thread ..... again .
    Thank you to splitlid and bankao for getting me to page 9 in my failed pursuit of Bettyboo.

Finishing with a picture of Roman Kings seems appropriate .
    So don't anyone write any more .

That means you Dillinger .

Bye.

Wasp

Last edited by Wasp; 17-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Last Online
    02-07-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Do you know, bankao ..... my favourite building in the whole World is the Pantheon in Rome ......

Those columns are MASSIVE . If you hug one you might get half way round it .

And there are 24 of them !! So Missy wasn't the first Roman King enthusiast.

And the reason there are 24 MASSIVE columns is that they had absolutely no idea how many columns - or how strong - would be needed to support the weight of the canopy . So they overdid it by a HUGE amount just to be sure .

My point being that your old crow can indeed go around the village bursting with pride and telling everybody that they built her roof in exactly the same way that they built the Pantheon in Rome !

This might be an excellent point at which to finish this Thread ..... again .
    Thank you to splitlid and bankao for getting me to page 9 in my failed pursuit of Bettyboo.

Finishing with a picture of Roman Kings seems appropriate .
    So don't anyone write any more .

That means you Dillinger .

Bye.

Wasp

...but at least you don't get the corridor feeling you don't like

6kon

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Unhappy

I forgot about 6kon .

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Wasp,

The Pantheon is an interesting building, but for me it's rather let down by the the slightly weird mismatch of shapes between the large angular portico and the curves of the rotunda.

It's a shame but seeing a pic of the Pantheon always rather reminds me this:

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ROOBARB !!!!

I was finishing this Thread with a beautiful photo of a noble 2500 year old Classical Roman building showing lots of Missy Roman Kings ...... and all in a lovely golden colour .

And now you're trying to end it with that bloody horrible wretch of a shitty car !!!

I'll have to carry on writing now just to move that photo up and out of thought .

I was sure it would be Dillinger who would come and walk in my wet cement !!

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 19-10-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information