Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Last Online
    21-03-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Wasp on a serious note it is my understanding that house walls with windows must be two meters from the property line but a house wall without windows need only to be one meter.

All fun aside would think this would be the first thing to confirm then draw your plan to the maximum width allowed for that narrow lot.

One other thing on the new plan would guests have to go into a bedroom just to errrrr...... go?
    Last edited by BKKBILL; 11-09-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    ^ Wot 'e said.

Come on Wasp, have you got a new plan yet?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2024 @ 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBILL View Post
    Wasp on a serious note it is my understanding that house walls with windows must be two meters from the property line but a house wall without windows need only to be one meter.
    All fun aside would think this would be the first thing to confirm then draw your plan to the maximum width allowed for that narrow lot.

One other thing on the new plan would guests have to go into a bedroom just to errrrr...... go?

Hello Bill .

I actually like serious because it's less work than being daft all the time.

The Roobarb bomb was that news ... 2 metres if you're having windows ..... and I must have windows .
    The longer sides have to be oriented that way and there would be very little light .

The buildings on the other side of that line ( the neighbours ) are set back a long way and with no windows .... but I guess the regulations are the regulations .And when Roobarb told me I just thought " shit " .

Bad enough being restricted to my self-imposed 10 metres but now we're talking 8 metres and I don't like that .
    Roobs was talking maybe 7 to be safe .

Anyway I'm back at the drawing board and I'm working on the 8 metres as Roobs and you are saying.

Clearly you've been looking at the plan and I'm grateful . I'm grateful to see that eyes are scanning what I'm doing .
    Between the two bedrooms there is a small space that's coloured a dungy brown .

I didn't label it but it's the toilet and shower for others to use .

So THREE toilets !!!!
    Don't know if they will survive the redraw.

Thank you again Billiam .

Wasp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
    ^ Wot 'e said.

Come on Wasp, have you got a new plan yet
    ?

I don't hand out this Smilie a lot but I love that cartoon Roobs !!

It's funny how the moods change isn't it .

Yesterday I was full of ideas for this plot and today I'm flat . I was quite happy changing things after Bettyboo's input and Sketchup is completely addictive .... but losing 2 metres was a real shock and I didn't feel like Plan Number 3..

A couple of years ago and just 80 metres from this plot a girl that everyone liked was cast out of her home by her husband .
    Because she was just so damned nice everyone got together , bought those cindery-looking bricks ... and built her a house in 2 days !!!!

It's a bit of a shite-looking house to be honest and nobody is even sure who owns the land that it's on !!!
    But she's got somewhere to live - and the hubby doesn't get served by any local businesses .

I saw all that and it added to my illusion that building was a free-for-all ! No regulations .
    And anyway I would be building something that would still be way above the local standards wouldn't I ?

Cannot ignore your words though .... and BkkBill's affirmations .

So ' yes ' I'm telling the story of the putative build but Yes I'm redrawing the plans - to an 8 metre width .

Your cartoon ---- did you ever see Red Dwarf when somebody accidentally wired the chocolate vending machine to the spacecraft nuclear self-destruct system ?

One of them pressed for a Crunchie and the whole ship started counting down to nuclear self-destruction .

10 ... 9 .... 8 ..... they were screaming !!!!

ZERO !!!!! and a Mars bar came out !!!!

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 12-09-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Last Online
    02-07-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    wasp: you could try placing the toilets on the sides. They don't need windows so you can put them and outside kitchen etc:

6kon
    Last edited by 6kon; 11-09-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    6kon;: you could try placing the toilets on the sides. They don't need windows so you can put them and outside kitchen etc:

6kon you've got a problem here . Instead of me getting the images that you were sending I got about 2 000 lines of text !!!!

Honestly . I'm not lying . Masses and masses of lines of writing but no pictures .

And your idea ...... well at first it seemed ok .But the toilets WILL need a window each . A small window for air to get in . And out ( Pappaya Pokk Pokk ). And some glass bricks for light . But mainly I can't run toilets the full length of maybe 13 metres on one side and then also on the other side .

Thanks for trying !!!

I am doing OK with my new plan but I don't have it ready yet.

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 11-09-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

So there I am ..... redrawing an extension on my 10 x 10 plan and I've got Roobs and later BkkB telling me I can't have 10 metres of width .

I'm still unsure of how clear I can leave spaces by moving posts apart .

blue helpfully come in with an upside down gorgeous pole dancer and for some reason Bettyboo appears with that drop-dead gorgeous Kazakhstani Volleyball player .

but sensible ootai comes riding over the hill .

ootai: You asked about distances between posts .
    I am not a structural engineer so I can't work out all the details for you but I can tell you that whatever span you want you can have.Hooray !
    All that is required is to make sure the posts are strong enough to carry the weight, if you went 5x5 then the load would be 25/16 times heavier than that on a 4x4 and for a 6x6 it would be more than double.
    So the posts would need to be larger and have more steel in them. The same goes for the beams they would have a much larger cross section and have more or thicker steel reinforcement. The problem then comes down to ensuring that the correct size rebar is used and that it is placed correctly within the concrete to get the correct coverage over the steel.

My suggestion to you is to spend some of your money ........ !!!!

WHAT ??? Joking you must assuredly be . But thank you oots .

It's all very appreciated- honestly .

( Where's that Kazkhstani Volleyball player again ? )

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 12-09-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Hi Waspy, I love reading your threads, great commentary. My house was originally quoted as b1.3m and it is a lot bigger than this one, OK, I know it's blowing out a little but should still come in under the b1.8m. You should get plenty of change out of b1.8m to do fences etc.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne
    You should get plenty of change out of b1.8m to do fences etc.
    Like Bettyboo's fence?...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Woppo,

An idea for a floorplan perhaps:

The plot is 12 m wide, the red stripes are the 2 metre 'exclusion zone'

As you're basing this loosely on Betty's design I've done the posts in orange and the walls in yellow. The windows are pink which I personally believe is an opportunity missed for Betty.

At the front you have an option for a carport (light blue) and a terrace (light green) if you extend the roof out and chuck in 3 Roman Kings.

Umm, rather than talking through it, here's another angle:

With a few extra posts at the back you could also extend out the master and second bedroom a bit if you wanted to.

Not including the front terrace and the carport the house's footprint is 15.4 x 7.6 = 117 sqm, internally it's about 93 sqm.

Distance between posts is 3.5m across and 3.6m lengthwise, you could push these out a bit if you wanted but I left a 20 cm margin on each side of the house before the 2 m line just to be on the safe side - if you are going to build something taking account of the planning codes, which I would do if you are planning on selling it, then it would be a real pain if Somchai built the thing 10 cm to the left of where it should be as it might put off a purchaser (or a bank looking at lending on it).

The outside kitchen would probably go outside the kitchen door at the side of the house

Bedroom 3 is the smallest at approx 2.3m x 3.6 m, but still enough room for a double bed (just) or swingers of small cats.

Anyway, just throwing my ideas out there..............

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    Hi Waspie,
    I read somewhere where you were threatening to start another thread.....

Been looking over the input so far and I have to say making it to page 4 without even having a workable plan is a stellar achievement. You are clearly going to be a threat to Betty's page count.

One thing: I read on some other forum a while ago where some guy was trying to figure out how to build a residence on a piece of land that was only about 8 meters wide. He too was British....so nobody was surprised...

Anyhow, after much debate and many proposed solutions it was decided that the easiest and most economical way to solve the width problem was to install a shipping container on the site and fix it up with windows and various other trappings to make it habitable. They can be placed end to end for a long narrow structure or mounted two up for a shorter but loftier affair. This arrangement would accommodate a Roobarb vertical staircase perfectly....

Shipping containers are very rugged and durable. They can be modified to produce quite an attractive building...and only being around 4- 5m wide they leave plenty of room for Bettyboo fences, BD pools, dogs etc etc.......and such a venture would surely be good for at least a hundred pages.....

I also think that Boonmee ran a thread on TD about building a shipping container home.

Just a random thought....

Last Online

Roob, now we're getting somewhere do like that plan even a good spot for the outside kitchen.

I would push it to the max of 8M.

May not work for Wasp no dancing pole!
    Last edited by BKKBILL; 12-09-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ROOBARB !!!!!

That's a lot of work you've done there !

Thank you for taking so much time ..... but it means I won't be able to post anything else today because it will take me all day to figure this out .

I'm rubbish at envisualisationing from a 2 dimension plan.
    I can only do my own plans by doing a Sketchup and then raising everything a little bit to see it in 3 Dimensions .

Like this .........

It's a plan of my flat in England .

So I have to look and stare at your two detailed plans for a long time to get to understand what's going on .
    And I'm not exggerating about that .

Incidentualistically ...... I'm not basing it on Bettyboo's build . I asked about Betty's costs only so I could have a measuring stick on cost .
    For example it's no good me asking you about your total spend because that's a completely different league altogether .
    You and steve and Loombucket are not what I can go by .

More like Betty's little build but with things like a kitchen .... and some space for cat-swinging.

* koman ........... I've seen some magazine articles about shipping containers being converted . And very stylishly too . But I think my first 200 000 baht would be gone just buying one and then transporterating it to Korat .
    Plus there's the abuse and mockery from the locals and the damnation from the disturbed spirits .
    I think it's a great idea --- for somebody ELSE to do .Sometime.

.... and finally Fatone . Thank you for saying nice things about reading my rubbish.It encourages me whereas a one star " Terrible " flattens me .
    Still it's a star.
    Just one point -- when I talk about 1.8 million I mean spending at most 1.3 million on the build . No more than that . Not a 1.8 build cost.

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 12-09-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    An small Post Scriptorum .......

I do wonder about this sometimes .

It says that you Fatone wrote your Post at 6.56 AM.
    Roobarb at 7.54 AM
    Koman at 8.05 AM

Were these the times where you are ? Were you truly writing at 6:56 AM fatone ?

Or are these the times here in England when your Posts appeared in my computer ?

Roobarb , you usually come to energetic life in the late evenings .

Juss wonderrin like .

Ok ....... studying Roobarb's plan ...............

W

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Roobee .......

Just some initial reactions .

I see you've allowed 200 mm thickness for the supporting posts .

And you've continued that along as the thickness of the walls . But are the walls 200mm ?
    How thick is a Q-con block ?

Your instinct will tell you they are as thick as a somchai but let's be grown-up mature sophisticated men for three minutes at most .

And I'm assuming that those are little cupboards near each loo ?

At the top of the Carport there are 3 black lines .
    What are they ?
    Because it looks like the entrance is off the terrace . Or is that a big window ?

Wasp

Last Online
    31-07-2017 @ 06:12 AM
    Hi Wasp,
    Plan in post 85, great, better layout.
    Your doing a good job Wasp.................

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    Hi Wasp,
    biff .

Can you visualisate this so quickly ? I can't .

But you took me onto page 4 in my pursuit of Bettyboo so thank you .

More importantly .............it says you wrote at 4.09pm so please tell me where are you where its 4.09 PM ?

I must go back to Roobee's plans but I keep looking at Bettyboo's Kazakh Volleyball player .
    She's very nice.

Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 13-09-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    OK I need to close this computer and go to my ............. errrr .......... computer ..... and change this plan into a Sketchup so I can walk through it .

That will take about 5 days.

Where will I put koman's shipping containers ?

It's headachey time for me . Maybe I need some cheesey muffin.

WiltingWasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 13-09-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Wasp,

Sorry for the late response...

OK, quick walk through on my plan if it helps.

Using the second picture I posted and starting from the bottom left, walk through the carport (light blue colour) until you get to three steps which take you up to the front door area. At the top of the three steps and to your left is a small room for storing stuff/electric meter/washing machine etc. The front door is in front of you.

Inside the front door is a kitchen area with a kitchen door on the left hand wall and steps down to an outside kitchen area. To the right of the kitchen is a dining/living room area with sliding doors opening onto the optional terrace (the optional terrace is light green, next to the optional carport).

To the right of the kitchen is a corridor 1 metre wide that leads to the bedrooms. As you enter the corridor there is a cupboard about 80 cms x 80 cms (I think) to your left.

Immediately after the cupboard on the left is the door to the guest bathroom.

At the end of the corridor are the doors to the three bedrooms.

I knocked the plan up on Sketchup. If you PM me your email address I'll happily send the file over to you if it helps at all. It is just 2D though.

I've made the posts 20cm x 20 cm which I reckon is probably a safe enough estimate for the post size. In reality they may be a bit smaller than that. I kept the walls the same thickness on the assumption that if you use QCon of a similar thickness you then hide the posts. If you use red brick then it may buy you a few extra cms floorspace meaning that the posts will show but it may also be a slightly cheaper option (I doubt that using QCon will increase the selling price of the property).

I'd follow Bill's suggestion and push the property out to be 8 metres so long as you are sure that the land is at least 12 metres wide at the points where the house is going to be built. I hate to mention it but from the Google Maps view you posted it appears that the land is slightly wedge shaped so 12 metres road frontage might just be 10 metres wide at the back...

Looking at all the other houses in the village they all seem to be built closer than 2 metres from their property lines so it may well be that the Puu Yai Baan will tell you it's fine to follow suit. My only concern would be whether the banks will lend on it to a prospective purchaser if the house does not meet with the regulations. I really don't know the answer to that but it is a risk if you are looking to sell it rather than live in it.
    Last edited by Roobarb; 12-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    An small Post Scriptorum .......

I do wonder about this sometimes .

It says that you Fatone wrote your Post at 6.56 AM.
    Roobarb at 7.54 AM
    Koman at 8.05 AM

Were these the times where you are ? Were you truly writing at 6:56 AM fatone ?

Or are these the times here in England when your Posts appeared in my computer ?

Roobarb , you usually come to energetic life in the late evenings .

Juss wonderrin like .

Ok ....... studying Roobarb's plan ...............

W
    I think these are all Thai times.

FatOne's down under so 6.56am Thai time is mid morning for him I guess. I've got small kids to 7.54am is a reasonable hour to expect me to be up and about.

Koman's clearly a lazy git who lounges around in bed until late as he didn't manage any response until considerably after me... unless of couse he was up but having scrotal issues in his bedroom. Perhaps size isn't everything (size of bedrooms that is)

Last Online
    Koman's clearly a lazy git who lounges around in bed until late as he didn't manage any response until considerably after me... unless of couse he was up but having scrotal issues in his bedroom. Perhaps size isn't everything (size of bedrooms that is)
    Oh dear! No matter how that one is sliced and diced we have a problem Houston.

scrotum |ˈskrōtəm|
    noun ( pl. scrota or scrotums )
    a pouch of skin containing the testicles.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    Hi Wasp,

Harr Harr ..............

You haven't seen MINE yet biff .

Superb it's going to be ( ? )

Wasp

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    envisualisationing

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Incidentualistically
    Indeed, Wasp...A fine choice of words...

And an interesting "draft" by Roobarb...He is just turning the house to fit your land...The inside is "up to you"...(Where have I heard those three little words before?)...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKBILL View Post
    Oh dear! No matter how that one is sliced and diced we have a problem Houston.

scrotum |ˈskrōtəm|
    noun ( pl. scrota or scrotums )
    a pouch of skin containing the testicles.
    I'm feeling quite damaged by having my scrotum discussed in such a cavalier way....and being referred a s lazy git to boot. This thread is heading for the doghouse if this kind of abuse keeps up......

Just for the record, I'm usually up and about by 6am....today 5am...but I don't always rush to see what's happening on TD right away.

This thing about post times is interesting, because I've noticed that the time shown for many of my posts is not anywhere near the time I actually sat down and posted?

I don't understand why this is, other than the fact that I habitually connect through different proxy servers in different countries. Does the post time show my time here at home, (obviously not) or does it show the time where the proxy is located? It's the only explanation I can think of.

Sorry Wasp; I'm not trying to steer away from your exiting building venture....but you have raised this question, so it tweaked my natural curiosity.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:55 PM

Smile

Waspy, I'll just stick this in here now: Property set back lines in my case were determined by my local Or Bor Tor, so you might want to slide by yours one day and ask them. My set back lines were NOT the same on all sides of my house. Yours might be different too. One thought I had later was to take photos of houses that were obviously closer than 2-3 meters and ask them why they were OK . . . or maybe don't do that.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information