Last Online
    03-10-2014 @ 10:15 PM

Aquaponic and Hydroponic Hobby Growing

Hey Folks,

Long time lurker, and for years I have enjoyed the various posts here on Teakdoor, but have never contributed. Now that I am living here in Thailand, I thought I'd share a bit as well.

For whatever reason, when I hit my late twenties, I developed an itch for growing vegetables. I grew up in a farming community, but never recall seeing anything but commercial crops such as sugar beats, wheat, etc...being grown. I can remember my great grandfather having a garden, and how incredible everything tasted out of the garden compared to the supermarket.

The second motivation I have for growing veggies is the fact that seemingly, there isn't any good produce to be had. Maybe those of you who are up North have better access to quality "farang" vegetables, but I do not. Furthermore, I have yet to see one god damn tomato worth anything at all!

Here in Thailand, I have no access to soil. My entire yard is concrete, so I had to find another means. I began to research aqua and hydroponics, and that has led me up to where I am now. The beauty of these systems is that they are customizable to your space, require little maintenance, and they produce quite well.

Here are some pictures of my Aquaponics system.

image share

snagit

photo storage

imgurl

And my Hydroponic Dutch Bucket Systems (I have 2 of them)

capture

photo hosting

The birds got ahold of my first large tomato that turned. I leave it on, as they seem to go back to the same fruit, and leave the others alone...for now.

image hosting 30 mb

Cherry Tomatoes

image upload

windows 7 screenshot

These are Pink Brandywines and Purple Cherokee. I am currently growing 4 varities of tomatoes, all heirlooms.

screencast

These are just locally sourced pots. I bought 20 of them, for about 150(ish) baht each. I have a worm bin that I feed all my organic scraps. They put out a really nice black soil. That's what I feed these eggplants, which don't seem to mind the Thai weather.

how to take screenshots

screen shot on pc

I am in Pranburi (Near Hua Hin), and I have enough vegetable seeds to last me till I die. If you want to grow something, shoot me a message, I probably have seeds for it. Don't ask me to put them in the mail though, I am super lazy. ha!

Cheers,

Ryan
    Last edited by DentDent; 22-02-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Last Online
    16-03-2014 @ 12:01 PM

Polycarbonate clear sheets

Hi DentDent,
    First of all congrats on your set-up. Could you please tell me where you purchased your clear roof sheeting, I have been looking around for some time now. The only ones I have been able to locate are the small twin walled ones at Global etc.(600B each)
    Shawn

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Welcome to the Buffalo Board...

Some nice stuff there, DentDent...

Rat might be along for advice on smoke...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-11-2023 @ 10:30 AM
    Nice thread, Ryan. I've never been green fingered although my father and elder brother were. My brother once won a Blue Ribbon at Southport flower show.
    I like your set up, and since you only live down the road I might pop down to see you.
    Here's a pic of a sage bush that I nearly grew. Couldn't find a chicken small enough to stuff!

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by charleyboy View Post
    Nice thread, Ryan. I've never been green fingered although my father and elder brother were. My brother once won a Blue Ribbon at Southport flower show.
    I like your set up, and since you only live down the road I might pop down to see you.
    Here's a pic of a sage bush that I nearly grew. Couldn't find a chicken small enough to stuff!

You are welcome anytime, just PM me and I'll give you a tele number and directions. My location is extremely easy to find. If you can make it to the Tesco in Pranburi, you can make it to my place.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Welcome to the Buffalo Board...

Some nice stuff there, DentDent...

Rat might be along for advice on smoke...
    Thanks for the welcome.

I don't think I've been around long enough to understand the "advice on smoke" reference.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Mai pen rai...If Ratchaburi's teddybear can clear the cobwebs from his brain, he might find this thread!...

I grew some great tomatoes last year, but not in Thailand...

Had a Manitoba Ox Heart that must've weighed a couple of kilos...

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Mai pen rai...If Ratchaburi's teddybear can clear the cobwebs from his brain, he might find this thread!...

I grew some great tomatoes last year, but not in Thailand...

Had a Manitoba Ox Heart that must've weighed a couple of kilos...
    I've got a couple of "megablooms" on my Brandywines. If I can grow a 1kilo tomato, no matter how ugly, I'd be pretty stoked.

Last Online
    01-04-2014 @ 09:07 PM

Nutrient Supplers

Hi Ryan,
    I am just starting a Dutch Bucket System here in Rayong.
    Ryan where do you get your Nutrients from?
    Need some for Tomato. need a 4-18-38 mix if possible.

Best Regards
    Ray

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM

You know it makes sense

Last Online
    @
    Awesome setup, Dent, and kudos on you tomatoes ! I couldn't get mine safely through the heat, they just burned in place

What's your tomatoes spot sun/shade ratio ?

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    A boatload of tomatoes, huh Dent?

I presume your looking to preserve that amount?

Nice thread - someone after my own heart.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken1932 View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Best Regards
    Ray
    Hello Ray,

Sounds like you have been watching MHP Gardeners vids

Truth be told, I was unable to find anything close to a 4-18-38, and what NPK water soluble ferts I found did not contain any micro nutrients. I have been ordering mine online from the US. Absolutely not cost effective. I did find some 20-20-20, and some micronutrients which could be added separately. I do not think you'd have bad results with a 20-20-20 as there are guys using it and growing just as well as MHP.

Try to find a local shop which carries fertilizers. They should have something that will work for you. The micronutrients I found were in a glass bottle and are called Calcium Plus. It was all very low priced, but I don't remember actual costs.

Hope that helps.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Lao Garden View Post
    Awesome setup, Dent, and kudos on you tomatoes ! I couldn't get mine safely through the heat, they just burned in place

What's your tomatoes spot sun/shade ratio ?
    One of my dutch bucket systems is in full sun, all day.

The other dutch bucket, and the aquaponic tomatoes get about 7 hours, and then are fully shaded for the rest of the day.

Growing in a soil-less medium allows you to keep the roots cool with water. I haven't experienced issues from heat...yet...but we'll find out soon enough, as it's getting warmer now.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    A boatload of tomatoes, huh Dent?

I presume your looking to preserve that amount?

Nice thread - someone after my own heart.
    I have been selling the overflow as there are far too many to eat myself. They taste quite good, and even the Thai's are impressed with the flavor over what is available at the market.

Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DentDent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken1932 View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Best Regards
    Ray
    Hello Ray,

Sounds like you have been watching MHP Gardeners vids

Truth be told, I was unable to find anything close to a 4-18-38, and what NPK water soluble ferts I found did not contain any micro nutrients. I have been ordering mine online from the US. Absolutely not cost effective. I did find some 20-20-20, and some micronutrients which could be added separately. I do not think you'd have bad results with a 20-20-20 as there are guys using it and growing just as well as MHP.

Try to find a local shop which carries fertilizers. They should have something that will work for you. The micronutrients I found were in a glass bottle and are called Calcium Plus. It was all very low priced, but I don't remember actual costs.

Hope that helps.
    Perhaps try here ?
    http://www.fafreshfarm.com/

Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:06 PM
    great post thank you

Last Online
    @
    The local fresh market where I live has a stall selling hydroponic lettuce of different varieties. Beautiful, nice tasting produce. It is sold with the roots still intact, sprouting out of a little bit of foam. I always wonder what the system is like this is grown in.

Do any of you know how hydroponic lettuce is grown?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    There's a set up in San Na Meng, off the Doi Saket Road. They are grown in pvc storm water pipes in water that has nutrients added to it, no soil at all. If the set up incorpates the big square tanks (as in the first picture of the OP) then you can have up to 100 taptim in there and they supply all the nutrients required to grow any veges.

I have a friend who had a set up like that of the OP.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abe Lincoln.

Last Online
    @

We used to have a store like that in our local market, but as they were a little bit more expensive, it was only expats who bought their stuff, and they soon disappeared. They grew all their stuff near my house, but now their farm is abandoned. Such a shame as the veg was lovely.

Last Online
    @
    ^ I see the guys from the Pizza Company in Mae Jo buying their produce from this woman, so maybe she has a chance.

Last Online
    10-03-2016 @ 11:18 AM
    hi

i am selling of all my stuff for a complete aquaponic system- if you want additional stuff

you can contact me - sms is best as i may be on a bike and i cannot answer phone calls..

083- 803 1585

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...tock-n-barrel/
    Last edited by tmaker; 21-01-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Thread Information