Page 8 of 165 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161858108 ... LastLast
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    I wonder how much damage this will cause an airline. Fukked if I'd wanna fly with anyone who doesn't check passports.

That's the immigration services job, not the airlines'.
    Actually most airports or airlines now do a secondary boarding pass/passport check before boarding.

But that isn't going to spot a fake passport unless it's a bad fake.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    I saw a documentary recently about an aeroplane which ran out of feul mid air . all the power in the aeroplane went off and they werent able to use the radio to communicate with land
    Was it the Gimli Glider by any chance? Air Canada?
    Last edited by harrybarracuda; 10-03-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ossierob View Post
    I reckon that it is an interesting circumstance that someone would simply check in then not board let alone 5 people doing this.........surely this doesnt happen often
    You would think so, but on a BA flight from Heathrow to Paris my plane was delayed by more than an hour while luggage was removed due to a group of passengers not showing. I was livid and took the train on future occasions.
    I have been on plenty of flights that have been delayed because of luggage being removed from the aircraft passengers have not boarded the flight.
    And have also seen lots of passengers at their departure gate complaining.
    We were shopping,can't you call the plane back its just there being pushed back.
    Seems in some cases duty free shopping is more important then catching their flight.
    Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas priests... more drink!

I am in Jail

Last Online
    19-06-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    They may have simple not been able to fly the plane and crashed it accidentally into the sea
    May be the sea was their intended target? You numpty.
    Why would someone want to attack the sea ?
    Revenge for the Tsunami ?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    Another possible explanation for the plane turning around and not making contact with the ground could be that theb two passengers were indeed terrorists who had gotton into the cockpit with the intention of taking ovee the plane and using it as a weapon to attack a target, 9/11 style .
    They may have simple not been able to fly the plane and crashed it accidentally into the sea

That would be a possible explanation amongst many......it can't be ruled out... as terrorism/hijack has been mentioned several times already.
    And if it was a hijack gone wrong, that would explain why no one has claimed responsibility

Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by klong toey
    I have been on plenty of flights that have been delayed because of luggage being removed from the aircraft passengers have not boarded the flight.
    As I have. Most on flights with a group of Chinese tourists. They have a habit of getting lost in the airport. Side tracked in duty free shops or wandering around trying to read all those not in Chinese signs.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I saw a documentary recently about an aeroplane which ran out of feul mid air . all the power in the aeroplane went off and they werent able to use the radio to communicate with land
    Was it the Gimli Glider by any chance? Air Canada?
    Air transit hold the record for the longest glide by an airliner. Using the wrong part on an engine fuel system, drained the fuel tanks and it landed in the Azores.

The gimli Glider was a new aircraft with an old crew and canada just going metric. Got the imperial and metric confused.

Radios will not fail right of the bat all planes have batteries. I tinK.

Last Online
    @
    And a Ram Air Turbine.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    Another possible explanation for the plane turning around and not making contact with the ground could be that theb two passengers were indeed terrorists who had gotton into the cockpit with the intention of taking ovee the plane and using it as a weapon to attack a target, 9/11 style .

That would be a possible explanation amongst many......it can't be ruled out... as terrorism/hijack has been mentioned several times already.
    And if it was a hijack gone wrong, that would explain why no one has claimed responsibility

Turn off all equipment and tracking, fly low beneath radar and head for target in Beijing ? Crashed into the ocean by mistake, plan didn't go to plan so don't claim responsibility out of possible repercussions from the Chinese government. ...... it's possible, anything right now is possible.

I am starting to lead away from the terrorist theory, it is strange no one has claimed responsibility.

I think now I am leaning more to high altitude disintegration and it would have to have happened at the front of the plane in the cockpit which is why there was no Mayday. Basically I am imagining that something happened which detached or disintegrated the cockpit from the rest of the fuselage, leaving both sections to fall their own separate ways and no time for the pilots to say anything.

If it was terrorists then they were extremely dumb terrorists with an absurd plan who got ridiculously lucky in carrying it out or it was a clever plan which must have had help on the ground to get them through immigration when they entered Malaysia and when they left. Just strange now that there is nobody claiming responsibility but that could be because it didn't go to plan, so why claim responsibility and add the extra heat when you may be in the near end stages of another similar attack.
    Collector of bones in Bangkok, 15th century Mongolian porcelain, unicorns & show ponies - hunter of rats

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble View Post
    Air transit hold the record for the longest glide by an airliner. Using the wrong part on an engine fuel system, drained the fuel tanks and it landed in the Azores.
    No, it was a fuel leak, and they opened the cross-feed valve to balance the tanks not knowing about it.

Can't believe they tried to blame the pilots for it!

Last Online
    12-09-2023 @ 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge View Post

I imagine one of the pre-flight checks concerns the quantity of fuel on board.
    They do, you may remember the case of the American plane that ran out of fuel owing to a miscalculation by the pilots (twas a long time ago though).
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-03-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock View Post
    The Fuel on the plane powers the radio communications with land.
    Ermmmm.... no....it doesn't.
    I believe you are right Bobcock, I think Fluke is thinking of the propeller driven aircraft which either have or did have this system.

Last Online
    Terrorism doesn't seem likely as neither China nor Malaysia are terrorist targets unless their is some new group but as more than one has said nobody has claimed responsibility. I think the stolen passports were most likely used for people trafficking or illegal entry into other countries for whatever reason. Much remains to be seen....
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-03-2014 at 04:01 PM.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    The Malaysian authorities didnt check whether the PPs were stolen
    Malaysia may have reputation as being a a place where you can board aeroplanes with ease on stolen PPs .
    The question is : Would they have gotton through at their intended destination on the stolen PPs ?
    If they definitely would have been caught at their intended destination with the stolen passports , you could assume that they didnt intend to arrive there .

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Terrorism doesn't seem likely as neither China nor Malaysia are terrorist targets ....
    Kunming China train station a week or so ago. Twenty-nine killed and over 130 more injured by multiple knife-wielding attackers in a coordinated attack. Sounds pretty much like a terrorist attack to me. Blamed on Xinjiang separatists; four terrorists killed, one captured, five or six more escaped.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 06:58 PM
    And dont forget that after the M.A plane lost contact with base i.e presumably after the problem(s) began that the nearest other aircraft, when asked to try to gain contact - did get contact with the troubled plane only to hear static and muffled voices.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Terrorism doesn't seem likely as neither China nor Malaysia are terrorist targets ....
    Kunming China train station a week or so ago. Twenty-nine killed and over 130 more injured by multiple knife-wielding attackers in a coordinated attack. Sounds pretty much like a terrorist attack to me. Blamed on Xinjiang separatists; four terrorists killed, one captured, five or six more escaped.

Yes but the point is where airliners are involved it is usually the US and its allies that are targets, besides as has been stated repeatedly terrorists would most likely have claimed responsibility by now don't you think?

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ossierob View Post
    And dont forget that after the M.A plane lost contact with base i.e presumably after the problem(s) began that the nearest other aircraft, when asked to try to gain contact - did get contact with the troubled plane only to hear static and muffled voices.
    Accepted but there could be a multitude of reasons for this.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post

Yes but the point is where airliners are involved it is usually the US and its allies that are targets, besides as has been stated repeatedly terrorists would most likely have claimed responsibility by now don't you think?
    Don't know. In the past, it indeed has generally been the US or its allies who have been the targets of airline terrorism, but the face of terrorism does change. As far as I know, neither Xinjiang separatists, nor any other groups, have yet claimed responsibility for the Kunming slaughter.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    18-04-2024 @ 02:31 AM
    If Thai or Vietnamese fishermen found wreckage it's more likely they will be looting and stripping bodies if watches and jewellery than calling it in.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ronin
    Terrorism doesn't seem likely as neither China nor Malaysia are terrorist targets

for what its worth

In Taiwan, the head of national intelligence said a telephone call had been received on March 1 suggesting that an extremist Muslim group from China’s ethnic Uighur minority would mount a terrorist attack on Beijing International Airport – but added he did not believe the call was linked to the vanished airliner.

Police told local media the caller had rung from the southern Chinese city of Guangdong. He had spoken first in French, claiming to be an anti-terrorism official from that country, and then switched to the southern Chinese dialect of Cantonese. But Tsai De-sheng, the head of Taiwan’s National Security Bureau, told state media he did not believe the warning was “highly correlated” with the vanished airliner.

Similarly, a Chinese Internet activist and journalist based in New York said he had received an email claiming the plane had been attacked in protests at Chinese “oppression and persecution” of its Uighur minority. The email, sent from an untraceable hushmail account, said the attack was also a personal act of revenge against the Malaysian government, which has “cruelly persecuted me before.”

Wen Yunchao said he had given the email to U.S. authorities, but had received an avalanche of attacks by email and Twitter for releasing it to the media.

In February, Human Rights Watch criticized Malaysia for repatriating to China six Uighur refugees seeking asylum there, saying it had put the men’s lives in danger; Malaysia also sent back 11 Uighurs in 2011.

Earlier this month, knife-wielding assailants killed 29 people at a railway station in the southwestern Chinese city of Kunming, in one of the worst terrorist attacks in the country’s history. The Chinese government said the perpetrators were separatist Uighurs from the western province of Xinjiang.

Nevertheless, to move from knife attacks to international terrorism and downing airliners would be a massive leap for Uighur extremists, who are not thought to have strong links to the global jihadist movement.

Debris may be from missing Malaysia Airlines flight - The Washington Post

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostandfound View Post
    If Thai or Vietnamese fishermen found wreckage it's more likely they will be looting and stripping bodies if watches and jewellery than calling it in.
    If the plane flew into the sea at speed I doubt they'll be finding bodies.

Last Online
    @
    According to one journalist at yesterday's press conference, they have.

But then a lot of groups will claim responsibility to get a name for themselves.

Irrelevant.

Last Online
    ^^^ & ^Some interesting points but the object of terrorists is to terrify, would you not agree? The incident at Kunming railway station would achieve this through media reports along with other events most notably 9/11. For an airliner to simply disappear has of course generated much mystery and speculation and could be terrorism - I don't know. However, it did take 5 days to find the wreckage of Air France 447 so perhaps this situation isn't surprising.
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-03-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    May be the sea was their intended target? You numpty.
    Why would someone want to attack the sea ?
    Revenge for the Tsunami ?
    Fluke I asked you a question about the documentary you watched. Was it Air Canada?

Page 8 of 165 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161858108 ... LastLast

Thread Information