Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast
    Last Online
    21-03-2018 @ 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    This is an other option on roof lines if you are willing to take a meter of the side of the porch.
    I am sure if you talked with your builder and perhaps show him the pictures and ask him what he thinks, that he would have some ideas also
    This roof line looks the best so far!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    ^
    Now that roof line has a nice "flow" to it; and easy to build too. The light and shadow would make it look very nice indeed. Very easy to extend that carport roof out a bit more to get decent sized trucks in......and that is very important....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-08-2023 @ 01:50 PM
    I did an animation of the above roof line ,you can get a beeter idea. of the different elevations.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Not quite true about window size in the bogs,,

We have 2 small windows high up opposite sides of the room, through flow of fresh air all day windows mozzie screened, , dry as a bone in there , all ways smells sweet and fresh in there to.

Except for 2 Mins after my wife has waved bye to last night's Somtum.
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan View Post

We have 2 small windows high up opposite sides of the room, through flow of fresh air all day windows mozzie screened, , dry as a bone in there , all ways smells sweet and fresh in there to.

True. The windows don't have to be very big as long as you have two, and they are placed so that the air can flow through the room. If for some reason you can't have two, get a door with a good sized louvered vent panel, so the place can get air circulation and breath. In some cases an extractor fan may be the only solution but most of the time I think you can get away without one.

Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 01:57 AM
    House looks promising FatOne. I like that new roof design BB proposed. Looks interesting and less issues with leaves and stuff clogging up in between the 2 smaller roofs.
    I also have to agree about electrical outlets. Don't fall for the cheap Thai standard of maybe one outlet in a room and a bunch of extension cords, etc. With our house, we went from the standard of 1-2 outlets per room to one on each wall, if not more (for instance where I expected the TV to go and my office room). Stick a couple of waterproofed ones outside as well, like your covered patio area, and be sure they are all properly grounded. Put in a Saf-T-Cut as well.

I've also got an exhaust fan, venting outdoors (not some inside space that never ventilates properly), in every bathroom.

Make sure you have a 1-2 water taps for outdoors as well.

I suspect the real kitchen will be located right outside your designated kitchen area.

Good luck with the build !! More pics are always good, when you can.

Steve

Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post

True. The windows don't have to be very big as long as you have two, and they are placed so that the air can flow through the room. If for some reason you can't have two, get a door with a good sized louvered vent panel, so the place can get air circulation and breath. In some cases an extractor fan may be the only solution but most of the time I think you can get away without one.
    One word: airbrick.

Second word: don't.

I'm with the OP on the roof (not literally!); if that's what he likes, go for it - it's his place and a popular Thai phrase comes to mind: "up to me!". Nonetheless, I don't like the look of it (this is no argument at all really, aesthetics are not my strong point), and I see issues with drainage and potential leaks, as well as being costly to make with no benefit aesthetically or functionally. In Thailand, simple and functional is good.

BuckBan's suggestion is purdy and functional; fine idea.

A car port with more size has the benefit of maybe allowing 2 cars, or allowing a big truck, or allowing a bit of space for a workshop area, etc. It's a nice idea. If your wife drives the vehicle then please remember to put a few of these between the parking space and any house walls/beams:

My wife is a special case, so I'm having a couple of these:

Cycling should be banned!!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    oh good another one biting the bullet..or maybe that is dust.
    Goodonya all the very best....try and keep the "fk it wish I had thought of that befores" to a minimum.

Agree with posters who suggest a more open plan.

My big things are as follows:
    - wide roof overhangs and big windows....lots of outside covered area and can leave the windows open in all but the foulest of monsoon rains.
    - tiered roof ... ventilation between tiers

- overkill of conveniently positioned electrical and water outlets

- big bathroom windows...nasty smells/mold ... drying ventilation for "wet" bathrooms is a must...nothing worse than walking in on a continuously wet bathroom floor..many Thai's houses seem to have this issue.

may want to think about enlarging one bathroom to make combo laundry room (raise the machine and working area by a few centimeters for safety and convenience) with access to outside for 'anging out ya washing?
    Apron/driveway/footpaths around house while the concrete truck is on site...I hate mud between me toes?

Anyways ..all the best ..house builds often continue to evolve to a certain extent no matter how well planned.
    Some very good points, I'll try and incorporate within budget, by the way the plans don't show it very well, but I've asked for a 1m overhang of the roof all round to protect from the sun.
    ..no worries mate 2m would be better but 1m better than nothing..
    ...forgot that one other of my preferences is for pole homes..nice 9-10 foot height area under house for future development or...and a nice place to solve the problems of the world when it is pissing down.
    Also upper or any floor having a very high 13ft+ ceiling for coolness is a consideration.
    These things are not a great drain on the budget if included in initial build..an expensive pain as after thought..
    take care..chin up and keep the fridge full ...lol

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    oh good another one biting the bullet..or maybe that is dust.
    Goodonya all the very best....try and keep the "fk it wish I had thought of that befores" to a minimum.

Agree with posters who suggest a more open plan.

My big things are as follows:
    - wide roof overhangs and big windows....lots of outside covered area and can leave the windows open in all but the foulest of monsoon rains.
    - tiered roof ... ventilation between tiers

- overkill of conveniently positioned electrical and water outlets

- big bathroom windows...nasty smells/mold ... drying ventilation for "wet" bathrooms is a must...nothing worse than walking in on a continuously wet bathroom floor..many Thai's houses seem to have this issue.

may want to think about enlarging one bathroom to make combo laundry room (raise the machine and working area by a few centimeters for safety and convenience) with access to outside for 'anging out ya washing?
    Apron/driveway/footpaths around house while the concrete truck is on site...I hate mud between me toes?

Anyways ..all the best ..house builds often continue to evolve to a certain extent no matter how well planned.
    Some very good points, I'll try and incorporate within budget, by the way the plans don't show it very well, but I've asked for a 1m overhang of the roof all round to protect from the sun.
    ..no worries mate 2m would be better but 1m better than nothing..
    ...forgot that one other of my preferences is for pole homes..nice 9-10 foot height area under house for future development or...and a nice place to solve the problems of the world when it is pissing down.
    Also upper or any floor having a very high 13ft+ ceiling for coolness is a consideration.
    These things are not a great drain on the budget if included in initial build..an expensive pain as after thought..
    take care..chin up and keep the fridge full ...lol
    The fridge will always be full!! Good tips, I decided early on to keep stairs out of the equation, I figure as I get older they'll cause problems, already getting a little arthritis! High roof? Gotta talk to the builder, great idea.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post

One word: airbrick.

Second word: don't.

I'm with the OP on the roof (not literally!); if that's what he likes, go for it - it's his place and a popular Thai phrase comes to mind: "up to me!". Nonetheless, I don't like the look of it (this is no argument at all really, aesthetics are not my strong point), and I see issues with drainage and potential leaks, as well as being costly to make with no benefit aesthetically or functionally. In Thailand, simple and functional is good.

BuckBan's suggestion is purdy and functional; fine idea.

A car port with more size has the benefit of maybe allowing 2 cars, or allowing a big truck, or allowing a bit of space for a workshop area, etc. It's a nice idea. If your wife drives the vehicle then please remember to put a few of these between the parking space and any house walls/beams:

My wife is a special case, so I'm having a couple of these:

Thanks BB, I have just taught Kung to drive, she's not too bad in a slow sort of way. Got her Oz and international licenses but I'm giving some consideration to your barriers!

Last Online

So after a couple of days of nothing the builder has started on the foundations, and it looks like they are going to be nice and deep.

Last Online

My darling wife has sent a stack of pictures, these are a sample, amazing how much work these guys can get done in a day in the hot weather.

Last Online

Wherever there is dirt, the kids will play in it!

Last Online

Looks like the metal they are using is nice and thick!

Last Online
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Here we go, underway!

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Well done for getting the hang oc posting pics here mate , some who have been here for years havent mastered it yet.

Last Online

Here's a pic sent yesterday, not sure what they are doing, but it looks better than just laying a slab of concrete anyway, nice and deep!
    The missus spoke to the builder about roof design, he is not big on changing the whole roof , but has agreed to make the carport 2 m longer, and will fill in the gap between the roofs, somehow! Talking to her on the lousy mobile connection with constant crossed lines and drop outs is pretty ordinary.

Last Online
    Thanks Nigelandjan, I've got single pics worked out, not so great on multiple pics, so I'm still learning. Thanks BB, still following your thread with interest.

Cacoethes scribendi
    Last Online
    15-06-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    Nice to see another building thread. No matter how many you read, nothing prepares you for the genuine frustrations that you can go through, or the pride that you can feel when you get to the end and move in. Well done for taking the plunge and well done for deciding to share. Best of luck with the project and keep posting those pictures.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online

Here's a pic sent yesterday, not sure what they are doing, but it looks better than just laying a slab of concrete anyway, nice and deep!
    The missus spoke to the builder about roof design, he is not big on changing the whole roof , but has agreed to make the carport 2 m longer, and will fill in the gap between the roofs, somehow! Talking to her on the lousy mobile connection with constant crossed lines and drop outs is pretty ordinary.
    That look very much like the rebar cage to which vertical columns will be attached and then buried in concrete. Looks rectangular, which is puzzling...they are usually square and about 1.2 meters each way. Maybe they are doing two columns there?? We shall see in due course....every build has it's own character.....

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    ^
    Unless he is sneaking in a manpool without telling us

Last Online
    12-11-2015 @ 02:07 AM
    That look very much like the rebar cage to which vertical columns will be attached and then buried in concrete. Looks rectangular, which is puzzling...they are usually square and about 1.2 meters each way. Maybe they are doing two columns there?? We shall see in due course....every build has it's own character.....
    Either they'll use 2 columns or it might be a big rectangular column. It might also be for the stability of the building in case he doesn't use cross bracing or walls to keep the building stable.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Just as a guess I'd say it was either for the two columns to the left of the front door on your floor plan or the corresponding two columns in the back wall of the house. Difficult to tell but the hole looks like it would take two pillars about 1.5 metres apart.

Either that or they've dug the hole so they can bury Koman's now infamous Frankenkitschen should it ever escape...

Last Online
    12-11-2015 @ 02:07 AM
    Either that or they've dug the hole so they can bury Koman's now infamous Frankenkitschen should it ever escape...
    lol, that would be the perfect size indeed

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    It would leave a pillar in the middle of the room, but I reckon if you made a kitchen island that incorporated the pillar then you wouldn't really notice it. Something a bit like this:

Ahem....notice that this very upscale kitchen has something that looks very much like a Frankie ...on the right hand side of that black part. Islands are for gays.....Frankie's are for men with balls...... I would never dress my Frankie up in black though.....no taste at all some people...

....also, these open plan kitchens are OK for certain Europeans who cook things that produce no fumes or odour, and often no taste.. .....now can you imaging your typical Isaan wife knocking out a big batch of Pad Khrapow Moo in such an environment..??..... I think the rest of the house would empty out pretty quick....
    Islands for gays? Frankies for men with balls? I would never dress my Frankie up in black? Wife knocking out a big batch of Khrapow empties out the house? Sounds to me like a party thrown by the Earl of Castlehaven circa 1600s.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread Information