Page 1 of 50 12345678911 ... LastLast

Last Online
    25-08-2019 @ 07:50 PM

Marty's New Home in the sticks

Hi All,

I'm finally getting ready to build, after countless hours of reading TD as a guest and picking up ideas my darling wife , Kung has designed a home for us to retire to when I'm able to get the pension - in about 4 years, and use as a holiday home until then. We are building WAAAY up north in Isaan, in a little village called Namjan about 25 mins out of Seka in the Bung Khan province. This is where Kung comes from and should be nice and quiet.

Okay so it's time to try and add some pictures of the Plan, and the land, and the architect's drawing of the house. I've printed out the instructions from Klongmaster so let's see if I can do it!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    Welcome aboard the mighty construction wagon.... Posting pics is easy once you get it sorted out.

PS. The builders won't do things quite the same way they do in that Wangarrata place though.....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Well done FatOne, you've taken the plunge.

Looking forward to seeing the plans. Good luck with working out how to post them...!

Last Online

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Nice one, fat one

Last Online
    Yay! That was a lot of mucking around, but 1 Pic down, a few to go! As I'm trying to do this at work between customers ( I run a shop) this could take a while!

Last Online
    12-11-2015 @ 02:07 AM
    Welcome to TD!

It looks like a nice design but I was asking myself why you would like to have a big roof behind and 2 smaller roofs in front?

The connection between those 2 roofs is going to be very difficult and expensive to make, the chance of a leaking roof is quite big. I know it's only above the veranda but still you should think about it twice.

Last Online
    Yeah, I've asked the missus to get the gap between them filled with a gutter. Looks very ordinary with just one huge roof tho, adds a bit of character

Last Online

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-08-2020 @ 12:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Koetjeka View Post
    Welcome to TD!

It looks like a nice design but I was asking myself why you would like to have a big roof behind and 2 smaller roofs in front?

The connection between those 2 roofs is going to be very difficult and expensive to make, the chance of a leaking roof is quite big. I know it's only above the veranda but still you should think about it twice.
    agreed 100%.
    although there may be a gap between the 2 roofs it will be minimal and will look strange.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    It will also, if you have trees, fill up with leaves an shit which the rain wont remove unless they angle the flashing/gutter correctly.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    Welcome aboard the mighty construction wagon.... Posting pics is easy once you get it sorted out.

PS. The builders won't do things quite the same way they do in that Wangarrata place though.....
    Hi Koman,

I hope they won't do things like Wangaratta, every new home here is the same, nearly all project homes. Go and check out the display home and build on your land for a hell of a lot of money!!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-08-2020 @ 12:54 AM
    I would have maybe set the front porch back a meter or so and then you would have the change in roofs naturally.

but hey, it seems a little late now and don't take any notice of me.

Last Online
    Probably won't get much more posted today, I'll try and put more on tomorrow. At this stage we should have the ground ceremony with the monks next Friday (7th) and start building on the Saturday. Cost with Q Con blocks and tiled roof 1,320,000b, local builder my wife has selected, says he'll put foundations down. He's built a couple of other Farang homes around the area. I will be going over for 3 weeks later next month to select colours, kitchens and bathrooms so I expect the price may go up when he sees what I want!

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by splitlid View Post
    I would have maybe set the front porch back a meter or so and then you would have the change in roofs naturally.

but hey, it seems a little late now and don't take any notice of me.
    On the original plan it was, but I decided I wanted a nice big verandah so I can put a decent BBQ and table and chairs on it

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Welcome to the Buffalo Board, FatOne...

And good luck with the build...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne
    we should have the ground ceremony with the monks next Friday (7th) and start building on the Saturday
    Good man....this is the most critical part of the entire build. I trust you have checked out the dates to make sure they are properly lined up with the cosmic forces and that sort of thing....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-12-2022 @ 12:25 PM
    Welcome.

Err good luck with your project.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Looks good FatOne, and congratulations on working out so quickly how to post photos here. Building the house will be easy in comparison...

On the plan, I get the kitchen area and living room at the front, a door down to the bedrooms (nice touch BTW, keeps the village idiots from wandering down there should they make it into the living room), bedrooms, bathrooms etc, but I can't read a word of Thai and have limited imagination, what's the space at the far end for?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Actually...

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion - please do feel free to tell me to sod off if you want - but...

If you were to move the master bedroom door further down together with the door to the bedroom area, then lose the corridor by the kitchen you could open up the living area a bit more.

Bit like this:

It would leave a pillar in the middle of the room, but I reckon if you made a kitchen island that incorporated the pillar then you wouldn't really notice it. Something a bit like this:

I'd guess you would lose a bit of counter space to fit a fridge in, but with the island you'd gain a lot of surface space there, plus have a handy little breakfast counter thing.

Just a suggestion........... Koetjeka is probably a better man to advise on this sort of thing than me.
    Last edited by Roobarb; 30-01-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by FatOne View Post
    Yeah, I've asked the missus to get the gap between them filled with a gutter. Looks very ordinary with just one huge roof tho, adds a bit of character
    I have had guttering installed in the same type of roof you are describing with some of the houses I have worked on. Works great until rust overtakes and then it is a bitch to replace.

Now, I have the workers barely slope the two smaller peaks towards the front of the yard with concrete running down the middle (under the tiles) and it works great. Takes a bit more steel, welding and cutting tile roofs to fit but worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    Congrats on starting your thread.

I apologise now at the start if I or any of my fellow threaders occasionally erm take the piss. We will do it with the best of intentions and with humble sincerity. When things go wrong or not quite to plan shall we say. The humour and banter can be a bit of a moral booster.

Good luck and if any of your workers is named Somchai shoot him shoot him straight away.
    SCROTUM PASS ME PISTOL

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-10-2023 @ 10:28 AM
    Ahhh ! Wangaratta.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    It would leave a pillar in the middle of the room, but I reckon if you made a kitchen island that incorporated the pillar then you wouldn't really notice it. Something a bit like this:

Ahem....notice that this very upscale kitchen has something that looks very much like a Frankie ...on the right hand side of that black part. Islands are for gays.....Frankie's are for men with balls...... I would never dress my Frankie up in black though.....no taste at all some people...

....also, these open plan kitchens are OK for certain Europeans who cook things that produce no fumes or odour, and often no taste.. .....now can you imaging your typical Isaan wife knocking out a big batch of Pad Khrapow Moo in such an environment..??..... I think the rest of the house would empty out pretty quick....

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by koman
    now can you imaging your typical Isaan wife knocking out a big batch of Pad Khrapow Moo in such an environment..??..... I think the rest of the house would empty out pretty quick..
    Windows, lots and lots of windows or no walls

See I told you so its started already

Page 1 of 50 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread Information