Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Dubai; is it a happening place again?

A mate of mine has a job offer. Any advice? I know Dubai had a bit of a crash but it soiunds like it's moving again. What's the accomodation like? Is an allowance of 7,000 AED gonna cover it? Do most places ask for rent 12 months in advance?

International schools? Any good?

Things to do for young kids?

How hot does it get?

Anything to watch out for? Cost of visas for family ?

Thoughts?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    21-07-2016 @ 04:28 AM
    Superficially it has it all, just dont get caught up in their one way legal system.
    I worked out of Jubail Ali some years back and had friends of mine arrested for just having had a drink.
    Maybe things have changed now but if you go there then be aware that you are in THEIR land.
    They were threatened with a hose down in the cells ffs.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Hey kw. I'll have time to answer most questions on the weekend, but just a question first - when you say an allowance of 7,000 AED, what do you mean? Is this the monthly salary? Also, is it a he or a she just so I can reply more easily.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Hey nat, I appreciate your replies. 7,000 per month for housing. His actual salary is around $5K p/m. They've told him it's tax free, does that sound right?

It's a he, but he has a wife and 2 young children with him. He'll be working in the hotel F&B industry.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks for the warning Dobella. In fact, now I think about it wasn't it Dubai thaat jailed a western couple for kissing in public and the teacher for naming a teddy bear Mohammad?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    21-07-2016 @ 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    Thanks for the warning Dobella. In fact, now I think about it wasn't it Dubai thaat jailed a western couple for kissing in public and the teacher for naming a teddy bear Mohammad?
    They are so strict there mate, white (us) kissing in public is an off to the jail for a re-education.
    If you would book into a hotel with a female not with your surname, the police are called.
    I'm joking now but - you wont see any topless babes on those lovely beaches.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Yep, not really an issue for my mate thoughm

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    The teddy bear story was in Sudan.

There was a UK couple who decided to have sex on the beach after a long drunken brunch that this area is famous for. It's beyond me why 30+ year old people would want to do this anywhere, let alone in a Muslim country.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    ^ Nat should know accom prices in Dubai.

His actual salary is around $5K p/m.
    This is pretty good, many in the region pay less ($3,500 to $4,000 is typical); yes, it's tax free, you might get 5,500 or 6,000 US dollars in Qatar/Saudi. The problem is that it's very easy to go out and spend money in Dubai. 2 bedroom, 80 sq metre apartments are what I've suggested prices for.

I've turned down jobs in Qatar and Dubai because I didn't think I'd be able to save enough - I'd probably want $5,500 in Dubai to be able to save the amount I want, and put up with the emirati shit... Haven't found a job there paying that much.

7,000 per month for housing
    I think this is plenty, I pay a third of that (4 hours from Dubai), Muscat is about half of that (& is considered expensive), so I reckon it's ok for Dubai, but I haven't seen the prices.

Jobs in Dubai, the workplace, etc, can be pretty unpleasant, depends, as always, where you are...
    Cycling should be banned!!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    A teacher friend of mine who is working there says it's too low, she advises about 180,000 per year is needed for a family. 7,000 per month will only get a 1 room bedsit type of place.

BB, be aware this bloke aint a teacher.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    BB, be aware this bloke aint a teacher.
    Lucky for him. Hard to believe that Dubai is more than twice as expensive as Muscat! But...

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    That is far too low to support a family. If he were single and living alone, then that housing allowance would be OK. Costs are only going up now in Dubai since things have bounced back and Dubai won the Expo 2020. All other questions are null and void if the salary isn't attractive.

Last Online
    27-12-2013 @ 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie8
    There was a UK couple who decided to have sex on the beach after a long drunken brunch that this area is famous for. It's beyond me why 30+ year old people would want to do this anywhere, let alone in a Muslim country.
    sex on the beach is fun. sure depends what beach.

forget dubai, abu dhabi is more fun and cheaper.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks nat, that's what another friend told me too. In your opinion what is a reasonable/average housing allowance for a small family?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Housing allowance is done by the year here, so the one he was offered is 84,000 per year. With a wife and two kids, he should be getting a minimum of 140,000 in annual housing allowance.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie8 View Post
    The teddy bear story was in Sudan.

They would have been aware of the consequences so it serves them right.

Banned
    Last Online
    30-04-2016 @ 12:12 AM
    I have a few friends that teach in International schools there in Dubai.

My friend said that your friend could find something to rent for that amount you quoted (7,000 AED).

She also said..
    Rent split into 3 to 4 payments and you have to give postmarked bank cheques or American spelling bank checks.

There is a lot to do for kids in Dubai. Check out this Time Out for kids.
    Time Out Dubai Kids

It gets as hot as 42 degrees, summer is very unbearable.

Thread Information