Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM

Sacrificing books

So here I sit in a Thai village with My family,and wonder if the progress of technology is an advantage. Before when I was going to the village I would stock My suitcase full of good books to read while relaxing in the hammock there.
    Now I have not read one book in 2 weeks. Why am I not reading a quality book tonight as I used to do?
    Because I am on an I pad that is connected to Wi Fi. In what I used to call a remote location. Is sacrificing a good book to read worth replacing by reading shit fights on "aving a laugh mate on TD"
    Is this progress Wi Fi in a remote village really progress.?

Last Online
    @
    Yes. Next question.

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Survival technique in the bush village.

1] Drink. Stay pissed all day.
    2] Sleep.
    3] Arise. Repeat process.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Get thee a Kindle or equivalent. Not that i use mine as much as i should, but it's an essential companion when i go travelling.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Books are good. Kindle is good. A nice novel to relax to is great.

The interweb can rather fuk up the simple pleasures of reading a good book, easy to get distracted. Then again, the interweb let's us watch the rugby while we're in Nakon Nowhere...

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    Books are good. Kindle is good. A nice novel to relax to is great.

The interweb can rather fuk up the simple pleasures of reading a good book, easy to get distracted. Then again, the interweb let's us watch the rugby while we're in Nakon Nowhere...
    Imagine an existence without electronic gadgetry.

I remember. Better times.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    TBH, i don't reckon I could live out here without the gadgetry, unless i morphed into a farmer.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    ^^I wonder what it's doing to our minds, genetically...

^a few books, a guitar, a few magazines, really looking forward to the monthly Bangkok trips...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    Survival technique in the bush village. 1] Drink. Stay pissed all day. 2] Sleep. 3] Arise. Repeat process.
    Thanks for sharing your lifestyle with us. It really is a pity you never learned to read. I know this because you seem incapable of writing anything that resembles a known language.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    okay I am in the bush....manage to stock up with lots of used paper books when in Phuket...read one a week maybe.
    When I run out of paper use my cheapy clone Chinese tablet to read free eBooks...big advantage is access to all those classics one never got around to or had the time or interest.
    Great having an electronic dictionary at hand for all those big words they always used ...just reading the unabridged Riddle of the Sands...sure spending a lot of time with the dictionary open in another window...!!

Of course still manage to get through a case or two of beer a week...

Big advantage of all the electronic crap is really the ability to stay in touch with the "outside" world at ones discretion. Think google bloody great...

Cacoethes scribendi
    Last Online
    15-06-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    These kindle things are OK, but nothing really ever replaces a good book. Apart from the ability to mark sections, add footnotes or scribble over the blank pages, a book provides a nice flat place to lean on, should the need arise. Whist bricks and planks still make handy shelves for newly weds and Students, second hand paperbacks are still a viable alternative, without the sharp edges. Many a good book has been placed under a wobbly table or piano, to make the place suitable for guests.

However, wi-fi should be considered as one of those modern evils that you have to have in order to stay in touch with (parts of) the world. Especially, if you live in a remote area and a phone line is non-existent!

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Brings to mind that McAfee feller (of the computer security fame) who hid in Belize after he was suspected of murder...He damned near went nuts without "companionship" of any form...

One has to have a strong mind...Without good "company," whatever form it might take, we are exposed to the madness...

Have to find out what happened to him...

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    Brought loads of books with me from the U.K.

I've finished them all.

Pissed-up nonsense on the net beckons.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    Once I'd coloured all my books in, they lost their allure somewhat.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas
    Big advantage of all the electronic crap is really the ability to stay in touch with the "outside" world at ones discretion.
    Indeed- innit great. I'm sure it wasn't developed with the likes of us in mind, but it's sure been a boon to us in the boonies.

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    Brings to mind that McAfee feller (of the computer security fame) who hid in Belize after he was suspected of murder...He damned near went nuts without "companionship" of any form...

One has to have a strong mind...Without good "company," whatever form it might take, we are exposed to the madness...

Probably still holed-up on one of the keys.

Belize is a strange place, mon...

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    23-08-2021 @ 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Get thee a Kindle or equivalent. Not that i use mine as much as i should, but it's an essential companion when i go travelling.
    The Kindle rocks. Get one!
    I read now more than I ever did. I got thousands of books free with the bits torrents thingy.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    14-12-2023 @ 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post

I was wondering too, so :

Vice accidentally gave away his location at a Guatemalan resort in early December 2012, when a photo taken by one of its journalists accompanying McAfee was posted with the Exif geolocation metadata still attached.[31] He then appeared publicly in Guatemala City where he attempted to seek political asylum. On December 5, 2012, McAfee was arrested for illegally entering Guatemala. Shortly after being placed under arrest, a board to review McAfee's plea for asylum was formed. The committee denied his asylum, so he was taken from his holding facility to a detention center in order to await deportation to Belize.[32] On December 6, 2012, Reuters and ABC News reported that John McAfee had two minor heart attacks in a Guatemalan detention center and was hospitalized.[33][34] His lawyer stated that McAfee had not suffered heart attacks, but he had instead suffered from high blood pressure and anxiety attacks.[35][36][37] McAfee later stated that he faked the heart attack while being held in Guatemala to buy time for his attorney to file a series of appeals that ultimately prevented his deportation to Belize, hastening the government's decision to send him back to the United States.[38] On December 12, 2012, McAfee was released from detention in Guatemala and deported to the United States.[39]

As of January 2013, McAfee is living in Portland, Oregon, intending to work on an autobiography in graphic novel form.[16]
    Former cocaine baron "Boston" George Jung is rumored to be writing No Domain, McAfee's official biography.[17]

And more here :

John McAfee breaks long silence in interview

And here :John McAfee: Belize Life Was Full Of Guns, Girls And Dogs

Last Online
    01-01-2014 @ 09:57 AM
    A Kindle really is the key to always having access to lots of books. I just downloaded heaps of books (legal, I believe) following the link that someone has put up on secondhandchiangmai dot com - a nice New Year gift for us all!

Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 03:27 PM
    Can anyone on here provide some links to good books - for free and or pdf. My main interest is the history of Indo-china and Thailand. Thanks in advance.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceburat1 View Post
    Can anyone on here provide some links to good books - for free and or pdf. My main interest is the history of Indo-china and Thailand. Thanks in advance.
    The Gutenberg Project has thousands of out of copyright books in various e-formats.
    Google Books also has a vast library of free books with a searchable catalogue.
    take a look there.

Torrent sites also have large bundled collections.
    Last edited by Necron99; 01-01-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Sprayed On Member
    Last Online
    @
    Until somebody invents 3 hands then books are shit. How are you supposed to hold your drink and smoke when holding book?

I keep saying it but get Audio Books people! They are the way forward!

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fresh Prince
    How are you supposed to hold your drink and smoke when holding book?
    Easily. Book goes on table. Part the pages with the left elbow.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    epub books - I used to read alot with paper books , but I read even more with ebooks and the choice is much larger - no need to read dross ( that's what the forum is for )

Thread Information