Page 70 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2060626364656667686970717273747576777880120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 6397
    Last Online
    @

Jazz guitar master Jim Hall dies at 83
    By CHARLES J. GANS Associated Press
    POSTED: 12/10/2013 01:41:33 PM PST | UPDATED: ABOUT 13 HOURS AGO

NEW YORK—Jim Hall, one of the leading jazz guitarists of the modern era, whose subtle technique, lyrical sound and introspective approach strongly influenced younger proteges such as Pat Metheny and Bill Frisell, died early Tuesday at age 83, his wife said.
    Hall died in his sleep after a short illness at his Greenwich Village apartment in Manhattan, said Jane Hall, his wife of 48 years who described her husband as "truly beloved by everybody who ever met him."

Hall, who led his own trio since the mid-1960s, remained active until shortly before his death. Last month, his trio performed a concert at Jazz at Lincoln Center's Allen Room with guest guitarists John Abercrombie and Peter Bernstein. He had been planning a duo tour in Japan in January with bassist Ron Carter, a longtime partner.

In 2004, Hall became the first of the modern jazz guitarists to be named a National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master, the nation's highest jazz honor.

"Jim was one of the most important improvising guitarists in jazz history. His musical generosity was an exact reflection of his deep humanity," guitarist Metheny, who performed and recorded in a duo with Hall, said in an email to The Associated Press.

In the mid-1950s, as a member of pianist Jimmy Giuffre's innovative trio and drummer Chico Hamilton's chamber jazz quartet, Hall transformed the role of the guitar in jazz with his understated melodic and minimalist approach.

"What seems kind of frivolous and doesn't really impress me is guys, people, women ... who have amazing technique but everything sounds worked out," Hall said in a 2003 interview for the National Endowment for the Arts. "They go through these chord changes with all these chops.

"Usually I wish I had the kind of technique to do that and then not do it, sort of. I like to make some kind of composition happen while I'm playing. That involves motive development. ... I also love melodies. So I try to play melodies over tunes—have it go someplace and then come back."

The noted German jazz writer Joachim-Ernst Berendt once described Hall as "the perfect musical partner." The guitarist was known for his duo and small group recordings with some of the greatest names in jazz during the past 60 years, including saxophonists Sonny Rollins, Gerry Mulligan, Ornette Coleman and Paul Desmond, pianist Bill Evans, bassist Red Mitchell and singer Ella Fitzgerald.

As a member of Rollins' quartet in the early 1960s, Hall appeared on the landmark 1962 album, "The Bridge," which was the tenor saxophonist's first recording after a three-year hiatus during which he practiced his chops on the Williamsburg Bridge. The saxophonist's fiery playing contrasted with Hall's subdued guitar lines.

"Jim was an essentially beautiful human being," Rollins said in an email. "I don't know anybody who didn't love him, including myself. He was the consummate musician and it was a privilege to work with him."

Hall was born on Dec. 4, 1930, in Buffalo, New York, and his family later moved to Cleveland. He picked up the guitar at age 10, and became interested in jazz as a 13-year-old when he went to the store to buy a Benny Goodman record and first heard Charlie Christian playing guitar on the tune "Grand Slam."

"I was awe-struck at his choice of notes and the space that he left," Hall told the NEA.

After graduating from the Cleveland Institute of Music, Hall moved to Los Angeles where he became a charter member of Hamilton's quintet, which was among the originators of the laid-back West Coast cool style, and later joined Giuffre's trio.

His first album as a leader was the 1957 session "Jazz Guitar" for Pacific Jazz. He later moved to New York where he performed as a sideman with Evans, Fitzgerald, Ben Webster, Lee Konitz and Art Farmer, among others. He co-led a quartet with trumpeter Art Farmer and also formed his own trio with pianist Tommy Flanagan and bassist Carter.

Hall began recording extensively as a leader starting in the 1970s in an assortment of duos, trios and small combos for such labels as Milestone, Concord, Music Masters and Telarc. Earlier this year, he released several CDs of live recordings from his combo's sessions at New York's Birdland jazz club on ArtistShare, a platform that allows fans to finance recordings.

His daughter and manager, Devra Hall Levy, said her father's prowess as a jazz guitarist overshadowed his skills as an arranger and composer, reflected on such albums in the mid-1990s as "Textures" and "By Arrangement."

"Those albums opened my eyes to a whole other dimension of his musical gifts," Levy said in a telephone interview. "Jim would like to be most known as a forward-seeker. He was always looking to push musical boundaries and never wanting to repeat something that he had done before. That made him quite a risk-taker."

Hall is survived by his wife, a psychoanalyst, and his daughter, who was married to the late NEA Jazz Master John Levy, a bassist who is credited as the first African-American personal manager in jazz.

Last Online
    @

Don Mitchell, who played Mark Sanger, one of the counterparts to Raymond Burr’s titular wheelchair-bounded detective in NBC’s 1960s and ’70s series “Ironside,” died of natural causes on Sunday at his Encino according to the Los Angeles Times. He was 70.

Mitchell was also known for his work in the blaxploitation film “Scream Blacula Scream” with Pam Grier and William Marshall and had parts on “I Dream of Jeannie” and “The Fugitive.” He also appeared in the 1993 TV movie “The Return of Ironside.”

NBC’s short-lived revamp of “Ironside” ran for four episodes this year and starred Blair Underwood, Brent Sexton and Pablo Schreiber.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-09-2019 @ 03:51 PM
    R.I.P Peter O'Toole aka '' Lawrence of Arabia ''

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-12-2022 @ 12:25 PM
    Another big one posted in the early hours.

You'll have to wake up earlier Harry....

Last Online
    04-12-2023 @ 04:13 AM
    Used to like watching Don Mitchell, bounced off Ironside to a tee.

O'Toole was one of the greats i think
    Rip guys

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiejambos
    R.I.P Peter O'Toole aka '' Lawrence of Arabia ''
    81? I thought he was much older. I guess a half century of drinking Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter Finch and Oliver Reed under the table ages you. He must have had the toughest liver in Ireland, and that's saying something.

The actor Peter O'Toole who found stardom in David Lean's masterpiece Lawrence of Arabia, has died aged 81, his family has annouced.

The acclaimed leading man who overcame stomach cancer in the 1970s passed away at the Wellington hospital in London following a long illness.

His daughter Kate O'Toole said: "His family are very appreciative and completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of real love and affection being expressed towards him, and to us, during this unhappy time. Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts."

O'Toole announced last year he was stopping acting saying: "I bid the profession a dry-eyed and profoundly grateful farewell."
    He said his career on stage and screen fulfilled him emotionally and financially, bringing him together "with fine people, good companions with whom I've shared the inevitable lot of all actors: flops and hits."

The president of Ireland, Michael Higgins, was among the first to pay tribute: "Ireland, and the world, has lost one of the giants of film and theatre."
    "In a long list of leading roles on stage and in film, Peter brought an extraordinary standard to bear as an actor," Higgins said. "He had a deep interest in literature and a love of Shakespearean sonnets in particular.

While he was nominated as best actor for an Oscar eight times, and received a special Oscar from his peers for his contribution to film, he was deeply committed to the stage. Those who saw him play leading roles on the screen from Lawrence in 1962, or through the role of Henry II in Becket, and The Lion in Winter, or through the dozens of films, will recognise a lifetime devoted to the artform of the camera.
    Higgins, who knew O'Toole as a friend since 1969, said "all of us who knew him in the west will miss his warm humour and generous friendship.
    "He was unsurpassed for the grace he brought to every performance on and off the stage," he said.

The British prime minister, David Cameron, paid tribute to the actor, saying that Lawrence of Arabia, his favourite film, was "stunning".

O'Toole's agent, Steve Kenis, said: "He was one of a kind in the very best sense and a giant in his field."

The O'Toole family announced there will be "a memorial filled with song and good cheer, as he would have wished", but until then they would like to be allowed to grieve privately.
    Early in his career O'Toole became emblematic of a new breed of hard-drinking Hollywood hellraiser.
    "We heralded the '60s," he once said. "Me, [Richard] Burton, Richard Harris; we did in public what everyone else did in private then, and does for show now. We drank in public, we knew about pot."

In the 1990s he found stage fame starring in Keith Waterhouse's play, Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell, about a hard-drinking journalist who propped up bars in Soho. O'Toole's version sold out the Old Vic theatre in 1999.

Last month it was reported he had been coaxed out of retirement to act in a film about ancient Rome called Katherine of Alexandria in which he would play Cornelius Gallus, a palace orator. It is believed he completed filming on the project alongside Joss Ackland, Steven Berkoff and Edward Fox and the movie is due to be released next year.

O'Toole is believed to have been born in Connemara in County Galway in Ireland, and lived in London. He shot to stardom in the 1962 film of TE Lawrence's life story and went on to take leading roles in Goodbye Mr Chips, The Ruling Class, The Stunt Man and My Favourite Year. He received an honorary Oscar in 2003 after receiving eight nominations and no wins – an unassailed record. He considered turning it down and asking the Academy to hold off until he was 80, on the basis that "I am still in the game and might win the bugger outright."

He finally accepted, saying: "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride, my foot".
    He is survived by his two daughters, Pat and Kate O'Toole, from his marriage to actress Siân Phillips, and his son, Lorcan O'Toole, by Karen Brown.
    Peter O'Toole, star of Lawrence of Arabia, dies aged 81 | Film | theguardian.com

bibo ergo sum
    If you hear the thunder be happy - the lightening missed.
    This time.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Smug Farang Bore View Post
    Another big one posted in the early hours.

You'll have to wake up earlier Harry....
    Xmas party season what can I say

Sad to hear about his demise, to think all those oscars they dish out to fucking numpties and they could only find it in them to give him an honorary one.

End of an era, there will never be a Harris, O'Toole and Reed again.

Big Piss up in heaven today I fancy.

Last Online
    @
    The Telegraph Obit:

Actor Peter O'Toole, who achieved stardom in the Oscar-winning epic Lawrence Of Arabia, has died at the age of 81, his agent has confirmed.
    The acclaimed leading man, who received an honorary Academy Award in 2003 for his body of work, died at the Wellington hospital in London after a long illness, his agent Steve Kenis said.

"He was one of a kind in the very best sense and a giant in his field," Mr Kenis said.
    O'Toole's daughter, actress Kate O'Toole, said: "His family are very appreciative and completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of real love and affection being expressed towards him, and to us, during this unhappy time. Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts,"

"In due course there will be a memorial filled with song and good cheer, as he would have wished.

Peter O'Toole Photo: Phil Coburn

"We will be happy to speak to you all then but in the meantime if you could give Peter O'Toole the respect he deserves and allow us to grieve privately we'd appreciate it.

"Thank you all again for your beautiful tributes - keep them coming."
    O'Toole retired from showbusiness last year, saying in a statement that it was time to "chuck in the sponge".

Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif in the film Lawrence of Arabia (Everett Collection / Rex Feature)

An eight-time Academy Award nominee who never won Hollywood's top acting honour, O'Toole shot to screen stardom 50 years ago in the title role of Lawrence Of Arabia, which earned seven Oscars, including best picture and director for David Lean.

O'Toole's grand performance as British adventurer T.E. Lawrence brought him his first best-actor nomination but set him on an unenviable path of Oscar futility.
    His eight losses without a win is a record among actors.

The honours stacked up quickly as O'Toole received Oscar nominations for 1964's Becket, 1968's The Lion In Winter, 1969's Goodbye, Mr Chips, 1972's The Ruling Class, 1980's The Stunt Man and 1982's My Favourite Year.

In the latter film, O'Toole played a dissolute actor preoccupied with drink and debauchery, seemingly a tailor-made role for a star known in his early years for epic carousing with such fellow party animals as Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Peter Finch.

O'Toole went into acting after serving in the Royal Navy, studying at London's Royal
    Academy of Dramatic Art.

His early stage successes included the lead in Hamlet and Shylock in The Merchant of Venice.

No living person is sure whether his birthplace was Connemara, Dublin, or Leeds.

In 2003, aged 70, O'Toole received an honorary Oscar, often given as a consolation prize for acclaimed actors and filmmakers who never managed to win Hollywood's top award.

By then it seemed a safe bet that O'Toole's prospects for another nomination were slim. He was still working regularly, but in smaller roles unlikely to earn awards attention.

O'Toole graciously accepted the honorary award, quipping "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride, my foot," as he clutched his Oscar statuette.

O'Toole nearly turned down the award, sending a letter asking that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences hold off on the honorary Oscar until he turned 80.
    Hoping another Oscar-worthy role would come his way, O'Toole wrote: "I am still in the game and might win the bugger outright."

He earned his eighth best-actor nomination for 2006's Venus, in which he played a lecherous old actor consigned to roles as feeble-minded royals or aged men on their death beds.

"If you fail the first time, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again," O'Toole said in a statement on nominations day.

The best-actor prize that year went to Forest Whitaker for The Last King Of Scotland.

Last Online
    @
    Joan Fontaine, Oscar-winner for film Suspicion, dies at 96
    Fontaine was the sister of fellow actress Olivia de Havilland
    Thomson Reuters Posted: Dec 15, 2013 9:47 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 15, 2013 11:09 PM ET

Actress Joan Fontaine is seen wearing a gown in this file photo from 1945. The Oscar-winning actress has died at the age of 96. (Associated Press)

Oscar-winning actress Joan Fontaine, whose film career was marked by a long-running rivalry with her sister, Olivia de Havilland, died on Sunday at age 96 at her home in Carmel, California, Hollywood's two trade publications reported.

The Hollywood Reporter said Fontaine's death from natural causes was confirmed by the star's assistant, Susan Pfeiffer.

Among Fontaine's most memorable films was the Alfred Hitchcock picture Suspicion, co-starring Cary Grant, for which she won an Academy Award in 1942, beating out her older sister in the competition.

The honour gave Fontaine the distinction of being the only performer, actor or actress, ever to win an Academy Award for a starring role in one of Hitchcock's many movies.

De Havilland, who was nominated that year for Hold Back the Dawn, went on to win two Oscars of her own for leading roles in the 1946 film To Each His Own and the 1949 picture The Heiress.

Fontaine also earned Oscar nominations for her star turns in Hitchcock's 1940 thriller Rebecca, co-starring Laurence Olivier, and the 1943 romantic drama "The Constant Nymph, opposite Charles Boyer.

Fontaine appeared mousy and innocent in her early movies but later carefully selected her roles and went on to play worldly, sophisticated women.

Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

Last Online
    16-05-2022 @ 02:00 AM
    Tom Laughlin, Star of ‘Billy Jack,’ Dead at 82
    The Wrap By Todd Cunningham

Filmmaker Tom Laughlin, who shot to fame as the rugged half-breed action hero “Billy Jack,” died Thursday in Thousand Oaks, Calif., surrounded by his family. He was 82 years old.

Tom Laughlin, Star of
    Great movies, tough guy...

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    14-12-2023 @ 11:54 AM
    Now THERE passed a legend ! And he was also a world authority on Jungian psychology.

Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

Last Online
    16-05-2022 @ 02:00 AM
    I was glad to see they used pictures of the time instead of later when he was ill and frail. He led the way on martial arts films and also cut a lot of previously unearthed ground which ended up getting him black balled in the film industry.

There's been talk of those movies being remade previously but he fought it strenuously, maybe now they'll get done? I wonder who'd play Billy? Hard shoes to fill but with today's martial arts practitioners it's a remake I'd like to see..

"I'm going to take this right foot and hit you on that side of your face and there's not a damn thing you can do about it!" Paraphrasing of course.. Distinctive gall and confidence..

Last Online
    @
    They were dead corny though, especially The Born Losers.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Ronnie Biggs dead at 84.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM

R.I.P
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    There's a 2 part dramatized version of the GT Robbery starting tonight on uk tv I believe. He wont be too pleased to have missed it.

Last Online
    @
    Basically a nasty old lag, good fucking riddance.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-09-2019 @ 03:51 PM
    I don't think he'll be too upset at missing it, for obvious reasons.
    R.I.P Ronnie. Your troubles are over.

R.I.P
    Last Online

One of his finest moments at Bruce Reynolds funeral in August this year.

A Cockless Wonder
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Strange decision to leave all those bootylicious Brazilian bubble butts to voluntarily go back to prison in the UK.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    The Sun promised him a bag of loot if he returned. Of course he has taken the opportunity of free health care and also other government benefits since his release. Beggars belief really.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Strange decision to leave all those bootylicious Brazilian bubble butts to voluntarily go back to prison in the UK.
    Had no income. His lad's TV career had dried up, no-one wanted tea and a T-shirt in his garden, and Brazil is not a place for a British beggar.

So he though he'd come back to England and ponce off the state.

We should have refused him entry and let him rot there.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Karma?

US doomsday preacher Harold Camping dies at 92

Camping's organisation bought advertisting on more than 5,000 billboards to spread the message

A US preacher and Christian broadcaster who predicted the end of the world three times has died age 92.

Harold Camping, a retired civil engineer, died at his home on Sunday after a stay in hospital for a fall.

His independent Christian ministry, formed in 1958, most recently spent millions warning the world that the end of days would come on 21 May 2011.

He was criticised by other Christian leaders after some believers sold their possessions to help his cause.

'Our appointed time'

Camping was born in 1921, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in 1942. He started a construction business soon after the end of World War Two.

In 1958, he formed Family Stations Ministry, which eventually broadcast in 30 languages on a network of more than 140 radio stations and online.
    He eventually sold the broadcaster to focus on his ministry.

His family had been part of the Christian Reformed Church, which Camping left in 1988 after concluding it no longer faithfully represented Biblical teaching.

He first predicted doomsday would come on 6 September 1994, and when that day passed without apocalyptic incident he claimed he had made a mathematical error.

More than a decade later, Camping's ministry began warning judgment day was to come on 21 May 2011, using more than 5,000 billboards and 20 recreational vehicles plastered with the message.

In March 2012, Camping "humbly" acknowledged he was wrong about the end of the world

Christian leaders around the world denounced the warning. Many criticised the practice of believers donating their life savings in order to spread the message, believing they would no longer need worldly possessions.

"We're not in the business of financial advice," Camping said after the May 2011 prediction failed to come true.

"We're in the business of telling people there's someone who you can maybe talk to, maybe pray to, and that's God."

He suffered a stroke three weeks after the day passed, and then told followers the rapture was coming five months later.

He and his wife retreated to a motel after October 2011 passed without the apocalypse.

"We realise that many people are hoping they will know the date of Christ's return," Camping wrote in March 2012, apologising to followers.

"We humbly acknowledge we were wrong about the timing."

Camping, who lived for many years in a suburb of Oakland, California and wrote 30 books and pamphlets, is survived by his wife of 71 years, Family Radio Network said in a statement.

"We know that each of us remain in God's hand, and God is the One who knows our appointed time to leave our earthly body behind," the statement said.
    Last edited by Mr Lick; 18-12-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ barking mad.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Mathematical errors...Should have hired someone capable...heh...

Page 70 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2060626364656667686970717273747576777880120170 ... LastLast

Thread Information