Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    They will be along shortly.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Good to hear your build is moving ahead again Rick, glad to have you back.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Welcome back Rick.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Peterpan says 'hi' too, but he can't remember how to type.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Marmite, almost true enough, but the good news is that my "new American friend" seems to have taken an interest in my case and Is advising and Assisting me, so the right dosage of meds is helping my brain functions to return, albeit slowly.

We are going to BKK hospital Udon tomorrow to revisit some of the previous decisions.
    I would previously have believed there was was an ulterior motive, but he is well cashed and definitely not gay, If you now what I mean?

Thank god for Americans.
    There can’t be good living where there is not good drinking

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ Actually, he is gay. He's not fat.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome back. I have been running around since I landed and hope to catch up with a few of you (Marmite, Nigel and PP) along with a couple of others soon. I am trying to get as much done in the next month or two so that we can move in the house.

Good to be back. The States are not really the place to live right now. PeterPan, hope all works out well with your new "American."

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Rick I imagine your alright if you leave your Rambo psyche at home.
    My new friend is OK he must be, as all the Germans in our village hate him, a mark of endorsement if there was one.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    My new friend is OK he must be, as all the Germans in our village hate him, a mark of endorsement if there was one.
    Does he know? Yet.

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    Welcome back Rick hopefully you can now crack on with finishing the house.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    Rick I imagine your alright if you leave your Rambo psyche at home.
    Both my Rambo psyche and Ugly American persona were left in the States, but unfortunately, you need to use them to survive in the States from time to time. I am mellow over here, which is more to my liking.

I don't know if the German's in my village like me or not. I have two as neighbors and both will always say hello when spoken to.

There is another American about 1 km away, but I do not socialize with him. My good friend from the UK is here and we just got back from a visa run in Lao.

The BIL is laying the cement slab in the toilet today and I will take some pics along with other progress we have made on the house. The granite flooring is scheduled to be delivered on Monday and my carpenter continues to work on the windows at a slow pace. If I am lucky, we will be in the house before I leave again in February to sell some personal property in the States.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by bankao dreamer View Post
    Welcome back Rick hopefully you can now crack on with finishing the house.
    BD, I am trying my best to expedite things, but you know how that goes in Thailand.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I am now uploading some pics I just took and it is not a fast process with my internet connection, but here are a few.
    Here is a shot from the front door looking at the alcove for the dining room and into the door of the third bedroom/office. To the left is the living room. The cement stacked on the right is waiting to be mixed for the toilet floor.

This one is looking down the living room and the doorway leads to the master bedroom. The hallway leads to the Thai kitchen in the back.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Sorry for the darkness of the pics, I am taking them with my iPhone.

This shot is taken from the dining room toward the double front door.

This one shows a door frame after I have stained and sealed it. The double front doors are teak, but have a dark walnut stain, so I am trying to stay consistent.

My other pictures need to be resized and will show the toilet in its present state and the front teak paneling after the staining and sealing was completed.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 14-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here are the windows the carpenter is working on, but as you can see, he is not here right now. I hope the installation goes quicker than the cleaning and staining.

Here is a picture of the toilet tile and the drain for the sink. I left the color selection of the tile to my wife, so I can not say anything about the final choice. I just told her to make them green.

Some of the toilet plumbing. Pretty typical for Thailand.

Another shot of the plumbing prior to pouring the slab. We purchased some non-slip light tan floor tiles that will be laid once the slab is in.

A picture out one of the front windows that show the teak paneling color. These windows will have double teak window frames.

Here is a shot of the front teak paneling and we will be adding about 30 truckloads of fill dirt to make sure the rain water is draining away from the house.

This is a view from the third bedroom/office and the large windows on the left will have a single teak window frame while the smaller windows are part of the rear teak paneling and will have the double frame windows.

Having the granite flooring in will change the whole look of the house and I am looking forward to Monday when it arrives.

The next step is getting an electrician in to wire the house and running down to IKEA to pick up some fixtures.

Last Online
    13-02-2019 @ 07:57 PM
    Hi,

Have you put the teak panels on the concret wall ? if yes how did "you" fix it ?

and can you please tell me how much you buy this panels and what dimension are they ?

i am looking to put some shera on my walls...but I am not so sure about it..and will like better the wood panels if it is affordable for me...

Thanks

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Mamasun, the teak panels are pricey and if you are thinking about doing the same, I would look around Phrae or Chiang Mai to find a better price. I paid a premium since I did it over the internet on a site called Nongnit Treasures.

The panels are "bolted" to the concrete posts and are secured very well. If you look at my thread you will see pictures of the bolts and the process of hanging the panels. The panels were custom made, which also will increase the cost and they are 2.5 meters by 4 meters and there are 4 panels on the front of the house and 4 on the back.

I purchased the panels over 2 years ago and know the prices keep going up for teak. If you are located around Chiang Mai, there should be no problem sourcing them, but if you live elsewhere in Thailand, there are some restrictions on transporting teak. You will just need to look around and ask a lot of questions about getting it to your location. Hope this helps.

Last Online
    13-02-2019 @ 07:57 PM
    No...I am in the south near (100 km) Surat Thani no wood shops here ! must make some km to find one.

You can maybe send me a Pm with the price..that I can have an idea about and decide to look around , or to let it down...

Thanks again

Last Online
    27-07-2016 @ 12:09 AM
    Rick have you tried Do Home for your electrical items ? There is a very large store in Korat, Plenty of choice and styles. We bought all our lights from there a couple of weeks ago.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    I left the color selection of the tile to my wife
    No, you don't wanna be doing that...

Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    e purchased some non-slip light tan floor tiles that will be laid once the slab is in.
    Have you considered blue? Could go nicely with the green tiles...

The house is coming along nicely. I like the high ceilings and the roomy feel inside. As you say, once the floor is on, it'll feel nearly complete.

Thanks for the pics, and keep them coming. I'm very much enjoying all these great building threads going on concurrently.
    Cycling should be banned!!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    You may be right BB, but I was back in the States working and I wanted to have the tile done in the toilets. I figured it was nothing structural or anything that could be screwed up too much, so I gave my wife her marching orders and she did OK. Maybe not the shades of green and blue that I would have picked, but I can live with them.

You are also right that green and blue go well together even though they are the colors of the Seattle Seahawks football team. I was thinking about gray floor tiles in the blue tiled toilet.

Off to the electrical store with the electrician to spend some money and see what he picks out.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Went into Udon and bought some supplies to start the electrical. I already know he understands about grounding wires and he also talks about running everything through the yellow electrical conduit that is used here in Thailand.

Below is the beginning of the day's supplies. Proper boxes and connections, so looking good so far.

More supplies and some color coded wire:

Here is the BIL's truck loaded with the conduit. The electrician is standing next to the truck making sure everything is secured properly.

The final packages of goodies. The bill came to just over 13,000 baht and we have not purchased the junction box or any switches and plugs yet. There were actually four large orange bags in all and the conduit.

I will post some pictures of the electrician doing his work along with any other progress. So far, I am happy with the what we have accomplished since I have only been back in country for about 3 weeks. That included a trip to Chiang Mai for 4 days and a visa run to Vientianne.

My apologies to those I said I would call once I arrived, but things have been pretty hectic so far. We also took delivery on the 500 tiles of granite flooring that are waiting for the electrical and ceiling to be finished.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 18-12-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The carpenter is finished preping and staining the window frames and he should be mounting some windows soon once he finishes staining them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The electrician working on the conduit with the carpenter watching. He brought his wife to help him run the wires.

Here is the master toilet and the blue clear blocks that let in some light. I will paint the wall the same color as the floor tiles.

Here is the slab for the master toilet and the plumbing for the camode and further is the drain.

At the other end is the sink drain and the water supply pipe. There will be a washing machine at this end with a long work station for folding and hanging clothes. The toilet measures 5 meters by 4 meters, so plenty of room for a shower party.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information