I am in Jail
    Last Online
    10-02-2014 @ 04:43 AM

Jet Exhaust On My Chiang Mai Floor?

We all know that the jets taking off, one after another, are burning thousands of tons of kerosene.

But where does all the burned fuel go?
    I mean, where do the particulates go?

Do they just float off into space somewhere, never to return to Earth?

I doubt it.

I think they come back down and end up on my floor as black soot.

For some time, I have wondered why I am tracking in dark black, like coal, dust on the bottoms of my shoes, while the only place I have been is just wandering around outside on the paved surfaces of Chiang Mai.

Originally, I thought this black dust might be leaching out of the floor tiles, because I keep the windows closed, and how could this fine black powdery coating come in to my super clean house?

So I am thinking it must fall from the sky, and then accumulate on the paved surfaces, like parking lots, and roads, and then it becomes picked up on the bottoms of our shoes, and then in it comes.

It is really noticeable and I have never seen it before.

Otherwise, what is it.

Tis the season to be jolly, not the burning season.
    So I don't think that we can attribute this to burning rice crop remains, or burning forests.

Any ideas?

Now, I just keep all my shoes outside, and hopefully one of the dogs will carry away the blackest of them, and chew it instead of howl.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    I don't mind the dogs howling here in Chiang Mai.
    The black dust coating, I would prefer to live without.

This is not your normal black dust, but a very fine particulate substance that sticks to everything on the floor, and makes black soup when it gets wet with water.

I don't think it is soluable in water though.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-10-2022 @ 11:11 AM
    What about the rice farmers burning the rice feilds, sugar cane, carcole burners & all the trucks that blow black smoke ect ect never ending .

I am in Jail

Last Online
    19-06-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    You can remove it with acid.......have you tried accciiieeddddddd

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi View Post
    What about the rice farmers burning the rice feilds, sugar cane, carcole burners & all the trucks that blow black smoke ect ect never ending .
    And Panda Bears?

I think you are right though.
    It would be interesting to do a chemical analysis of this just to learn what the is black sooty substance really is.

I am living right at the end of the runway, and this is where the giant airbuses are at full throttle and are not moving fast, and are still very low to the ground with very little wind. The nozzles of the jets are also pointed down, as is the exhaust.

Burning rice husks is another possibility, but I don't smell the smoke here that much.

I do smell burning garbage at night, and this could be the burned plastic from the packaging of my PadGraPao.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    not a lot of wind in CM either
    pollution just hangs in the air.
    not called the cancer capital for nowt.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    There is no problem removing it with water, but it makes a black soup, so that you need to keep rinsing with a mop until it is finally gone.

It is not sticky enough to be grimy, just a very fine dust.
    Sort of like corundum that a grinder uses to process mirrors for telescopes, or something.

(of course it will stick to everything on the floor, including your shoes, but will easily wash away with water, and is not oily)

I am in Jail

Last Online
    19-06-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Have you tried asking the aeroplanes to stop flying overhead ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-10-2022 @ 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamInCan View Post
    And Panda Bears?

It would be interesting to do a chemical analysis of this just to learn what the is black sooty substance really is.

I am living right at the end of the runway, and this is where the giant airbuses are at full throttle and are not moving fast, and are still very low to the ground with very little wind. The nozzles of the jets are also pointed down, as is the exhaust.

Burning rice husks is another possibility, but I don't smell the smoke here that much.

I do smell burning garbage at night, and this could be the burned plastic from the packaging of my PadGraPao.
    I live 100kilometres from the airport, I will clean out side a tiled area & tomorrow it is black

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    And Panda Bears?

I live 100kilometres from the airport, I will clean out side a tiled area & tomorrow it is black
    Thanks for the reply and this probably answers my question, to some extent.

There is no doubt an accepted methodology for measuring soot, which is responsible for blocking out quite a high percentage of what hits us from the sun, but I have never seen it with my naked eye on my floor, the soot I mean.

Now that I have decided to not wear shoes from outside inside, and since I keep all windows shut normally, I will wait and see if now the soot stays outside.

Otherwise, there must be another explanation.

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    I just had a walk around the outside of my apt, in the hallway, in my bare feet, having taken off my shoes, according to my new regimen, and the bottoms of my feet are blacker than black, and when I walk in the bathroom, I leave black footprints.

Yes, there is something seriously amiss with the air quality here in CM.
    Or, then what is it?

I am in Jail
    Last Online
    Have you tried asking the aeroplanes to stop flying overhead ?
    This is the type of comment for which everyone gets banned over at TVF.
    I am glad no one bans your here, for this.
    And I would not ban you, no way, no how, for anything, actually.

RIP
    Last Online
    @
    I reckon he was breast fed it.

god
    Last Online
    @
    Looks likely.

Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 12:12 PM
    I just had a walk around the outside of my apt, in the hallway, in my bare feet, having taken off my shoes, according to my new regimen, and the bottoms of my feet are blacker than black, and when I walk in the bathroom, I leave black footprints.

Yes, there is something seriously amiss with the air quality here in CM.
    Or, then what is it?
    The usual suspects here would be:
    - burning of people - are you downwind of (one of the many) local crematoriums, or
    - rubbish - bin bags are typically burned in a big concrete pit.

What goes up, must come down, so expect sooty particles - PCB's and dioxin too, from burning plastic. These get into the food chain...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Phone up the local council offices and talk to somebody about this,and get and put in motion an enviromental officer to investigate.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    25-03-2021 @ 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by misterfloppy
    What goes up, must come down
    The hell, you say...

Thread Information