Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 79101112131415161718 LastLast
    Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Gentlemen

Thank you very very much for taking up half my day reading through this whole thread it was most enjoyable and bought back lots of memories.

I thought I would share these 2 photos with you and before you complain about the quality remember they were taken along time ago and they didn't have digital camreas then, so they are just scans of a couple of old photos. I shouldn't really do this as it shows how fu*#ing old I'm getting, but anyway.

This one was taken in late 1969 and shows the Ord dam being built

This one is from almost the same spot 10 years later

It never ceases to amaze me what gems there are hidden in this forum.
    Thanks again for the enjoyment.

Boxed Member
    Last Online
    20-04-2015 @ 07:37 PM
    Tis a great thread....just flipped through half of it again meself....oh the mammories.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The chopper was from a mates business based in Kununurra. Pilot was from Halls Creek.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Hey ootai, thanks for dropping by. I can;t believe how many people here seem to have some kind of connection with my hometown. Were you involved with the construction of the dam?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    Hey ootai, thanks for dropping by. I can;t believe how many people here seem to have some kind of connection with my hometown. Were you involved with the construction of the dam?
    MeMock
    At the time these pictures were taken I was living in a previous life which was when I was a meatworker. The first picture taken in 1970 (I was mistaken with the date on the other post) at that time it was my first trip up that way spent time at the Wyndham meatworks and when that closed went for a trip to Darwin which is when I took the first picture. Somewhere I have some photos of a Darwin which doesn't exist now after Cyclone?? (can't remember Tracy I think).
    I spent a few days with a bullcatcher somewhere near the border. Not working for him just visiting, what a crazy way to make a living that is/was.

Later in 1979 I spent a season at the Derby meatworks and when that season closed my wife and I when up to darwin then home via Katherine Gorge, Mataranka, Alice springs and Ayres Rock (old name). My daughter was made in Derby. It is, as shown by the photos here, a most spectacular place the Kimberly region.

Thanks for reviving the memories

Boxed Member
    Last Online
    I have some bullcatching photos if you really wanna relive memories...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Post away Nawty!

Ootai - where were you from before you headed to north Australia?

I guess you would know that the Wyndham meatworks closed about 25 years ago. It was half pulled down before it caught fire and burn to the ground. A lot of my parents farm was built from old bits and pieces they salvaged from it before the fire.
    News is what someone, somewhere is trying to suppress - everything else is just advertising.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    I grew up in the hills east of Perth so I guess that makes me a hillbilly.

Worked in meatworks at Wooroloo, Midland, Katanning, Albany, Wyndham, Derby in WA. Others in Qld and SA as well.

Moved into mining in about 1980 and have worked in the Goldfields of WA, in NSW, Qld, SA and PNG.

So while I haven't "been everywhere man" I have moved around a bit so maybe that's why moving to Thailand doesn't phase me. I call home wherever I happen to be at the time.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    You en route to Thailand or already here? Where abouts are you calling 'home' in Thailand?

Boxed Member
    Last Online
    Ootai....Not Toodyay...if thats how I remember to spell it..

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Memock asked
    "You en route to Thailand or already here? Where abouts are you calling 'home' in Thailand?"
    Not there yet hopefully get there toward the end of July. Will be living in Burinam.

quote Nawty
    "Ootai....Not Toodyay...if thats how I remember to spell it.."
    No not there butnot far away in a little town called Chidlow used to be on the road from Perth to Northam long long time ago. Also had a major railway station before they moved the railway out through Toodyay.

Boxed Member
    Last Online
    A nice new heli....sexy

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Some nice moves.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 06:58 PM
    Bloody hell Memock I am enjoying this thread a lot mate....I love it ...thanks

Last Online
    10-01-2011 @ 07:45 AM

helicopter hire

Hi all you helicopter enthusiastics!
    Am thinking of doing a scenic tour over the Kimberleys next month. Can you recommend any companies? I have come across Frontier Helicopters and they look good - anybody know anything about them? frontierhelicopters.com.au Or do you have any other recommendations?
    Many thanks and I love the thread - really got me interested on doing some flying....

Last Online
    21-03-2012 @ 12:00 AM
    Great Thread and awesome pics.

I must say much of were you live looks like Arizona/Utah in the U.S. especially a area called Sedona.

If you ever get a chance to come to the U.S. let me know I would love to show you around the OZ looking part.

Last Online
    21-01-2012 @ 06:03 PM

Rafting accident

Quote Originally Posted by Nawty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawty View Post
    MeMok...were you a journilast in that area ?? If so do you remember a white water rafting trip down the Katherine gorge in the wet season that kinda went topsy tervy ?? Somewhere around 93/94
    I was a journalist (of sorts) in that area yes but you must have me pegged as an old man! I didnt graduate high school until the end of 1993 and didnt start my media career until the end of 1994 so no I don't remember it sorry. Mind you although we did cover as far across as Katherine to Broome we would only report on pretty major stories or if the had a local influence that far away. Sounds like a good story though!

It was a good story, made front page katherine times and I think from memory nt news at the time.

I had tried to find it online somehow, would love to get a copy of it again somehow for old times sake.

Basics of it was 1 dead, 1 brought back to life and the rest of us airlifted out by Lloyds rescue at tindal airforce base.

Much more to it than that though.
    Hi,

Came across this old thread. Just want to let you know that I was one of the two guides on that fateful day. If you've got any old newspapere clippings on that, please let me know. National Parks also videoed the trip on that day, but unfortunately I didn't get a copy of the video. As far as I remember, the video wasn't used as evidence as the inquest, which was held on the 9th Sept, 1994. The accident occurred on the 25th Feb that year. If you were in the helicopter, then, you were on the trip with me.

Banned
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    I'm afraid Nawty had a cry and left the forum.

Try subzerosiam.com nowadays I guess.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    I'm afraid Nawty had a cry and left the forum.
    Actually, he was booted for being a complete prick.

Last Online
    20-03-2024 @ 04:21 PM
    So, you're circumcised then?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by expat99 View Post
    Hi all you helicopter enthusiastics!
    Am thinking of doing a scenic tour over the Kimberleys next month. Can you recommend any companies? I have come across Frontier Helicopters and they look good - anybody know anything about them? frontierhelicopters.com.au Or do you have any other recommendations?
    Many thanks and I love the thread - really got me interested on doing some flying....
    Sorry that I missed this. Too late now but in case anyone else is reading just send me a private message and I can either organise a trip or find someone else who can for you.

I almost had to do another similar trip report for a R66 that my brother had to fly back from Sydney. Same deal but this time he went slightly south and over Lake Eyre and Ayres Rock etc. I was asked to go but ended up giving up my seat for someone else.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here is a great video showing the original chopper in this thread doing a three day tour around the Kimberley. Amazing the scenery that is out there that can mostly only be explored with a whirly bird.

You will need a password to watch the video. The password is Kimberley

Private Video on Vimeo

or TizYou?
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:24 PM
    Thanks MeMock,

great vid!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks TizMe. My brother was flying it with a mate along for the ride. A few of those places I have been to but a lot there that I need to get out to some day!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    I have not got Vimeo

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 79101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information