Thread: Burnout

Cool Cat
    Last Online
    15-03-2017 @ 05:11 PM

Burnout

I found this definition on the internet for those who were not familiar with the term
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnout_(psychology)

Do you think it is a real illness ? Do you know someone who suffered of it ? How does it translate in everyday's life.

If it is a real illness, what's the cure ? Just taking some rest or something more ?
    The things we regret most is the things we didn't do

I am in Jail

Last Online
    11-07-2014 @ 08:15 PM
    no, its not a "real illness"...

same as
    - adhd
    - autism
    - irritable bowel
    - multiple sclerosis
    - psoriasis...
    - etc etc etc etc

you can have them resting, till the messias comes...
    wont help...

DRESDEN ZWINGER
    Last Online
    @
    Burn nowt would be great advise to the arsenists of Chaing Mai who seem to delight in smoggling

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Psycho-Babble...

Last Online
    30-09-2013 @ 04:39 PM
    Burnout to me means something like extreme boredom with something to the point where you cannot continue or it could be used to describe physical exhaustion. I think it's real but others just have different names for it. In the mental sense, you could use it to describe many things. It relates to your interest or relationship with a specific thing in my opinion. You might be burned out with your love for you job. At that point, if you continue in it you will just go through the motions and basically be wasting your time and your employer's time. You probably can drag on a bit once you reach burnout but at some point you will most likely do something which causes you to lose your job or business. I don't think people who stay in jobs they really don't like could be suffering burnout. Burnout will shut you down and you'll crash. Those who can stay for years in unsatisfying jobs don't know burnout. Burnout is going to stop you whether you want it to or not. It's some sort of serious depression. It's not physical but as it comes on I think it affects you physically as well as the stress of the dissatisfaction of doing the thing you have come to despise will be with you at home as well. You'll feel stress from dreading going back to work all day and all night. You mind will be consumed with the thoughts of this situation you are in. You have to let the job or whatever it is that is causing the burnout go. We try to hold on to jobs and other situations for a variety of reasons. You can't hold on. You can't fix it. You've got to let it go. And when you let it go, you let it all go by stopping thinking about your choice and the possibilities you could have had had you stayed with it.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    12-05-2022 @ 08:33 AM
    Burnout is a psychological term that refers to long-term exhaustion and diminished interest in work
    I've suffered from the second set of symptoms all my life.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Is it a real disease?' Do people feel alienation and despair when faced with the awfulness of life - especially work - in late capitalism? Yes. Does psychiatry reduce social ills to individual ones? Yes. Does that make it a real disease? That kind of depends.
    Last edited by Zooheekock; 15-09-2013 at 11:22 AM.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    youneverknow: your assumption is based on "free will" - and similar PSYCHO-BABBLE...

Last Online
    It's my guess on it. I'd say I am one who has had it at times. Some people will have no understanding of it if they've never felt it. You might look at the guy working over there and wonder why he is wasting his time at work and always seems unhappy, etc. We can guess what's going on from our own perspectives and experience. Some would call him just lazy while others will see it differently. Some are quick to make the decision to leave a relationship while others linger on into the pain. We should try to understand why others are the way they are with a little compassion.
    Last edited by youneverknow; 15-09-2013 at 11:12 AM.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    i entirely agree, youneverknow...

but its a symptom, imo... of some REAL condition...

Last Online
    Probably so. My guess would be depression. It would show itself most in the major parts of our lives.

I was listening to The Power of Habit audiobook the other day. One story in it was how a woman changed many of her habits by changing one keystone habit. By focusing on changing just one habit you can actually end up changing many of the other habits you wish to change. it could be the same idea with this burnout. The burnout initiates the bigger issues which were ready to fall into place with the right event. Who knows. A lot of things seem to be inter-related when it comes to the mind and heart.

Just writing what comes to my mind. My guess is people who post on topics like this can relate to them. There are those who just don't connect to topics like this at all and if they are lucky never will.

The cold, wet one
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alitongkat
    autism
    - multiple sclerosis
    - psoriasis...
    Are you honestly saying that you do not class these as real medical conditions?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    yes, im saying they are symptoms of some other condition

what do you think causes autism or psoriasis or multiple sclerosis ?

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    23-10-2014 @ 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by youneverknow View Post
    Why on earth would a person find the health section and post something like BigFella just did? Get some help, Big Fella. Get some help.
    I didn't find any section I click on new posts and saw the title. BURNOUT. you asked what your definition of burnout was ? I gave you mine. Why should that need and help or therapy ?

The cold, wet one
    Last Online
    yes, im saying they are symptoms of some other condition
    All 3 are recognised medical conditions with symptoms of their own. None of them are symptoms of something else.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    i think thats somewhat wrong...

The cold, wet one
    Last Online
    i think thats somewhat wrong...
    OK, so each of them, with a multitude of diagnosable symptoms, are actually only a symptom of something else, in your view?

What are each symptoms of?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    i dont want to say

...now...

but if you google, you can find much info...

I am in Jail

Last Online
    but if you can say what is the cause of
    - autism
    - ms
    - psoriasi
    ?

guess, you cant, an nor can hazz (i think he got quite upset as well about my statement on another thread...)

example...
    The cause of psoriasis is not fully understood. There are two main hypotheses about the process that occurs in the development of the disease. The first considers psoriasis as primarily a disorder of excessive growth and reproduction of skin cells. The problem is simply seen as a fault of the epidermis and its keratinocytes. The second hypothesis sees the disease as being an immune-mediated disorder in which the excessive reproduction of skin cells is secondary to factors produced by the immune system.
    you will find a lot of info about the above (example-)diseases but nobody knows what the cause is...
    and so there is - NO CURE... only very mediocre treatment - at best...

and the same applies for "burnout"... doesnt it ?
    nobody knows what it causes and nobody does have an idea how to cure it...

you, hazz and whoever else got upset about my postings...
    may think about...
    - how many "diseases" there are, with UNKNOWN cause
    - how many of them can be cured
    - and since when they are there...

let me know your thoughts...

The cold, wet one
    Last Online
    you, hazz and whoever else got upset about my postings...
    I'm not upset.

how many "diseases" there are, with UNKNOWN cause - how many of them can be cured
    There are many diseases which don't have clear origins and that have no cure. That doesn't mean they aren't illnesses or diseases, though.
    The dictionary definition of disease is :a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

It says nothing about the cause having to be understood or the cure known for it to qualify.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    yes, but actually none of the diseases can be treated properly (ms, autism, psoriasis)....

at best there is "ease" for some...

same as with burn-out...

maybe they could start and adjust their dictionary, and then go on and look for the cause... ... in order to help people...

imo - if they find the cause, they wont name it "burn-out", "autism" anymore...

I am in Jail

Last Online
    12-05-2022 @ 08:33 AM
    but actually none of the diseases can be treated properly (ms, autism, psoriasis)....
    So what? Diseases get defined in various ways, one is by their origin, another is by their symptoms. You may not like it but that's just the way the world is.

...imo...
    A sure sign that whatever follows can and should be ignored.

Thread Information