Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM

Hunting for bargains in the UKs supermarkets

My local shop in Thailand is probably the best shop in the world. In fact, if Carlsberg made shops, they'd make them just like that.

Situated a mere minute's motorcycle ride away (walk? walk?! What is this 'walk' you speak of?) it comprises a humble shack, packed to the brim with interesting proteins, a vibrant fruit and vegetable display, a healthy smattering of instant noodles and starched-based snack treats (crisps to the LAYman - no I won't get my coat, I'll stay here and bask in my absolute fabulousness), a refrigerator positively bursting with award winning lager beer, and a whole host of frequenters of almost fungal proportions in various states of absolute intoxication who are basically there to serve the purpose of making me look great due to the fucking uselessness.

But just recently, about an hour ago actually, I think....I think I inadvertently happened upon a retail venture which perhaps surpasses the aforementioned.

It goes, quite cryptically, by Waitrose

And it sells top-drawer light bites for a pittance.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Join me next week when I hope to be fellated for free by a part-time Bratislavian bakery assistant behind the bins at Asda.

The Pikey Hunter
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap
    Join me next week when I hope to be fellated for free by a part-time Bratislavian bakery assistant called Boris behind the bins at Asda.
    Fair enough. Don't make it a picture thread please.

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil
    Don't make it a picture thread please.
    I'll probably just end up stealing a bottle of low-end vodka and necking it in the car park. Now that deserves a pictorial.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Was the sell by date up on the crisps ,

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Indeed slap.

Price fixing, cartels, monopolies, greed and laziness are a staple of the thai market.

Resulting in high prices and poor service. The high profit margins ensure that the thai can survive by watching tv or sleeping all day, moving themselves only to serve the the one customer a day that will keep them in profit.

Contrast that with the market in a developed country where instead of monopolies, cartels, price fixing and intimidation of competitors, there exists open competition, innovation, hard work and free trade, where the customer is king and their custom is fought for and valued.

Last Online
    @
    I managed 10 packets of Mama, Instant Tom Yum Noodles for £2.50p the other day.

En route
    Last Online
    21-04-2024 @ 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Indeed slap.

Price fixing, cartels, monopolies, greed and laziness are a staple of the thai market.

Resulting in high prices and poor service. The high profit margins ensure that the thai can survive by watching tv or sleeping all day, moving themselves only to serve the the one customer a day that will keep them in profit.

Contrast that with the market in a developed country where instead of monopolies, cartels, price fixing and intimidation of competitors, there exists open competition, innovation, hard work and free trade, where the customer is king and their custom is fought for and valued.
    Where's that again?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Blighty.

Last Online
    @
    Cheapo shopping is so depressing. '99p Stores' and 'Poundland' have brought our high streets visibly downmarket. I avoid them unless I need a roll of cling film or 2 Fray Bentos pies for £1

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    Basically the crisps I bought were part of a weekly shop.

I'm saving now, so budgeting and bargain hunting is my MO when in supermarkets.

10 quids worth of salad veg
    A chicken
    Bag of spuds
    Some beer
    Ham
    Cheese
    Olives (I WILL NOT BE WITHOUT THEM)
    Vinegar and shit like that.

21 pounds

I'm good for a week on that lot.

Last Online
    @
    10pm at most 24hr Tescos is when all produce dated that day goes for between 10 and 99p, regardless of original prices. Got a chinese snack selection for 29p and a bag of pineapple chunks for 9p

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    You can also get a myriad of sarnies at 2am all on they're sell by date for around 10p ,, 2 big carrier bags full of these straight into the freezer and your sarnied up for the month.

Also I bought 6 Morrison economy out of date frozen meals last Saturday @ 15p each froze the nuts out of em ,, have eaten 2 of em now cook 4 mins + anothe r 4mins from frozen in the micro + a couple of dashes of Levi Roots BBQ sauce to liven it up
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat
    10pm at most 24hr Tescos is when all produce dated that day goes for between 10 and 99p, regardless of original prices. Got a chinese snack selection for 29p and a bag of pineapple chunks for 9p
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan
    You can also get a myriad of sarnies at 2am all on they're sell by date for around 10p ,, 2 big carrier bags full of these straight into the freezer and your sarnied up for the month.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    So all those dinners that you and Jan have been passing off as home made are in fact Morrison's economy range?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat
    2 Fray Bentos pies for £1
    Now that makes me jealous.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    Cheapo shopping is so depressing. '99p Stores' and 'Poundland' have brought our high streets visibly downmarket. I avoid them unless I need a roll of cling film or 2 Fray Bentos pies for £1
    I like poundland. It's the only shop I can swagger around and not feel like a pauper plus they do have some real bargains in there.

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    How crispy were those 10p crisps exactly ? Got me thinkin of supa crunchies

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangyai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    I like poundland. It's the only shop I can swagger around and not feel like a pauper plus they do have some real bargains in there.
    I saw a documentary type show, in UK, about pound shops and whether or not they really offer bargains. Surprisingly, quite a few of their products cost more per unit than at regular stores.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh
    So all those dinners that you and Jan have been passing off as home made are in fact Morrison's economy range?
    Micro meals occur when the wife is late shifting it mate , otherwise its proper food

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    How crispy were those 10p crisps exactly ?
    Just like a regular pack.

Welly,welly tasty.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    I see you still haven't forgotten your Thai lingo mate ^ kudos

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 09:54 PM
    I still remember when Cheese and Onion crisps were in the green bag and Salt and Vinegar were in a blue bag.

Special member
    Last Online
    @
    That was the Golden Wonder colours Pats, don't see them much now!!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I sometimes go to my local Tesco express about 20minutes before they shut at night and grab all their 10p Salmon sandwiches

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Whenever I am in Tesco Lotus I have a look around to see what has a yellow sticker on it. No point paying triple the price for an item just because Tesco deems it good for a couple more days and late they sell off the roast chickens for very good prices which makes my dogs happy.

If it is meat with an expiry date it just goes into the freezer as soon as I get home and gets cooked up later.

The other day they were selling off EST cola at 9 baht reduced from 22 or something. You could probably leave that stuff for a 100 years and it wouldn't degrade, how do you determine the shelf life of a bottle of water, chemicals and HFCS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information