Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Last Online
    28-11-2013 @ 01:05 PM

Scamming farang ?

Okay ladies
    Anyone else been approached buy a fellow farang in need of money having lost his wallet?
    A friend of mine was approached by a Swiss guy about a month ago at big C.My friend gave him 400B. He told him he'd left his wallet in a taxi.
    While eating ice cream at Bang kapi today (living the dream) with my son, a short fat guy
    with a London accent sat down and told me this long winded story about soi cowboy
    no wallet 2,000K in a UK bank account and how he needed 300 or 400B for phone credit so he could call the bank in the UK.I said sorry I can't help he then called me a "fu5king c5nt as he was walking off. I'm pretty sure I did the right thing.
    slim

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by slim
    he needed 300 or 400B for phone credit
    never heard of reverse charge ?

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    27-11-2023 @ 11:59 PM
    ^ He called you a kunt in front of your son?

I would've made a point of buying 3-400 bahts more ice cream and scoffing it in his face.

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid
    never heard of reverse charge
    Never heard of e-mail?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    scammers everywhere.

heard the stories before. not interested.

(in them, not the OP)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap
    Never heard of e-mail?
    I plead advanced years ..................

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    23-10-2014 @ 05:31 PM
    Anytime anyone opens a conversation with me with " do you speak English ? " I simply reply
    " sorry old chap not a word of it " and just carry on walking.
    If someone walked up and told me he hadn't eaten for a while and could I buy him some food I would. A guy on the KSR once came up to me as I was sat having a beer and blatantly said he was skint and any chance I could buy him a beer. He got three before I had to leave. I don't mind anyone being skint as long as they are honest about it. When they start with the BS about losing their wallet and waiting for a transfer etc they have lost the chance of getting a Satang.
    Treat everyone as a complete and utter idiot and you can only ever be pleasantly surprised !

Last Online
    @
    I need 4000 baht for a good night out i will pm the op my paypal account details.
    Thanks in advance for your kind donation to the KT lets get drunk foundation.

Last Online
    31-12-2014 @ 07:06 PM
    i just feed some similar bullshit back to them, tell them the ATM has swallowed my card, and dont have any spare bht left until the issue is resolved

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I had some farang hanging around a bar at closing time and asking for taxi money home, said a girl had stolen his money yadda yadda yadda.

Told him bad luck and that I wasnt an ATM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    20-11-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    To be honest I've had my wallet, phone and passport nicked more than once in Thailand and have had to go on the borrow until I've sorted out replacements. When it's happened I've luckily had mates around to help me out but if that hadn't been the case I'm not sure what I'd have done.

Cheers

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    I usually say "Nien! Ist spreken De Doitch" which is all all the German I can remember from Commando comics.
    That worked until a guy answered back in what I assumed was fluent Yerman, then I looked at him funny and said not that sort of Yerman, the other sort and walked off.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    23-10-2014 @ 05:31 PM
    I didn't read many commando comics as a kid but during my time working in Germany managed to pick up Einna grosse beer bitter. It served me well for eighteen months

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    I had my safe broken into on Koh Samui and got wiped out. 3 K gone.

I had a spare credit card and cash stashed in my other bag for such an emergency.

Dont every body have spare cash in other areas. ?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    19-06-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    I was ina a Computer plaza recently and a Felang came up to me and greeted me and shook my hand , I didnt recognise him , but to be polite ,I greeted him back , he asked me how I was and what I was up to .
    I told him that I was just looking for a new computer and he was being overtly friendly, I asked him where he goes drinking and it wasnt to any of the bars that I frequent , so I didnt know him from any of the bars that I frequent .
    I was quite suspicious of him, because I saw him a few moments before he greeted me and he was with another felang and they just slightly nooded at each other and and went their separate ways , like they were pretending not to know each other .
    I initially thought that they were waiting for me to make a purchase and then grab it outside the plaza and drive off .
    But then I asked him what he was up to and he told me that he had lost his passport and ATM card and he wanted to borrow my phone to call home and ask for some money to be sent over . Right then I knew that it was some kind of scam , so I told him that I didnt have a phone .
    I departed and I ve since been trying to work out where the scam was .
    I think that he was going to ask me for my ATM card details (so he could get some money sent to my account , which I could then give to him) and then use the info to empty my account of its money .
    I ve heard of phone calls and emails trying to get peoples bank details , but I ve never heard of people trying to do it in person.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    I was ina a Computer plaza recently and a Felang came up to me and greeted me and shook my hand , I didnt recognise him , but to be polite ,I greeted him back , he asked me how I was and what I was up to .
    A simple, "sorry do I know you ?" often works.

Last Online
    13-10-2015 @ 05:32 AM
    I ve been hit a few times as the op references, we all have but he made the right call.

Problem is that those falangs in Thailand are global lowest common denominators. The best of them jump unfortunately.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    A simple, "sorry do I know you ?" often works.

Occasionally I ve been out for a beer and had a quick chat with others having a beer and after a long few days drinking, I have no recollection of ever talking to them and when they come and say hello if I see them about a few days later , rather than being abrupt and impolite by asking whether I know them, I usually just have a little chat with them and discretely try to find out where I know them from .
    The other day, someone came up to me and said "I think that we can come to a deal on the issues we were discussing , you just need to contact your Lawyers first and instruct them".......I had no idea what he was talking about , although I did recall having a drink with him a few days before

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    , a short fat guy with a London accent sat down
    About 5 ft 6 , cropped hair , North London/ Turkish descent , well dressed for an ex-pat , chubby, but not obese , 30 ish ?

Last Online
    24-05-2014 @ 05:46 PM
    If I was in troubled situation without money and a phone, I would find a way to phone a friend. Since I can not remember any phone numbers, I would need to get on to the internet to recover information. 20 baht should be more than sufficient to recover.

splendid and tremendous
    Last Online
    If I was in a troubled situation with no money or phone, I'd work in the fucking jungle for a year.................

Oh yes, that's right. It happened.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-12-2022 @ 12:25 PM
    Guy said he'd lost his wallet n I said I couldn't help.

Next day he spun me the same line.

Fekin moron

Last Online
    09-10-2014 @ 09:37 PM
    I find a simple and curt Fuck off is normally suffice my self ....

Last Online
    28-11-2013 @ 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    , a short fat guy with a London accent sat down
    About 5 ft 6 , cropped hair , North London/ Turkish descent , well dressed for an ex-pat , chubby, but not obese , 30 ish ?
    Ye that's sounds like him

Special member
    Last Online
    @
    I was in MBK and someone came up to me "hello, how are you today" was as far as he got before I asked who the fuck are you, he stuttered a bit apologised and walked away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information