Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    R.I.P
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM

When will the bubble burst?

Reading this and countless other articles on the total insanity of this vote buying scheme , I just wonder when the scheme will finally implode ,cos sure as God made little apples sooner or later the day of reckoning will arrive Government admits it will take a loss on planned sales of stockpiled rice | Bangkok Post: business

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    "Controlling your resources will control your world"

Gil Scott Heron

Information has been available for years if you learn how to use the force Luke.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    sure as God made little apples
    God doesn't exist, so that's that theory buggered.

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    I'm suspicious of those whom take overt concern of the rice futures...

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    sure as God made little apples
    God doesn't exist, so that's that theory buggered.
    Just an old Manchester saying and nowt to do with religion , it just means "for certain" and for certain the bubble will burst ,all it is is a question of time , of course if you are of the opinion this will go on indefinitely by all means say so

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    I'm suspicious of those whom take overt concern of the rice futures...
    Nowt wrong with pointing out an irrefutable fact which is there for every one to read that this scheme was dead in the water quite some time ago ,all I'm doing is posting a link which a blind man can see it just cannot go on indefinitely, the only thing I am not sure of is when the "big bang" will finally arrive, but arrive it will no doubt about it

Banned

Last Online
    ...also suspicious towards those whom concern themselves greatly over Thai politics and Thai society - when they haven't a clue.

A faux concern.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    So what? The government takes a loss on behalf of small-time farmers who keep attending to the land rather than to sell it off for other purposes, say condominium development #1,000,000. It's its job. Better than to bailout banks that create wealth by printing money. The population is growing, even more so elsewhere, and crop failures are going to happen inevitably again, somewhere on the world. It's strategy, an investment. The price for rice will rise again.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    It's all the fault of muslims, libbies, and thaksin. Whatever 'it' is.

Banned

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    It's all the fault of muslims, libbies, and thaksin. Whatever 'it' is.
    ...and Farang.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    ...also suspicious towards those whom concern themselves greatly over Thai politics and Thai society - when they haven't a clue.

A faux concern.
    And you consider yourself an expert eh ,and hey Rural Robespierre is that why you started a thread recommending a revolution here in Thailand? , and I am not concerning myself greatly at all just asking a simple question ,so far I ain't received any answers
    Last edited by piwanoi; 21-07-2013 at 06:16 AM.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
    So what? The government takes a loss on behalf of small-time farmers who keep attending to the land rather than to sell it off for other purposes, say condominium development #1,000,000. It's its job. Better than to bailout banks that create wealth by printing money. The population is growing, even more so elsewhere, and crop failures are going to happen inevitably again, somewhere on the world. It's strategy, an investment. The price for rice will rise again.
    So in essence you think its a good idea to pay 100 dollars a tonne more than they can sell it for on the world market in the hope that there will be a crop failure some where else in the world that will hopefully jack the price up!,and it should carry on indefinitely!, the warehouse's right now are bursting at the seams with rice ,some as old as 5 years old , and BTW the government does not take a loss in any shape or form , the tax payers does, and I do not pretend to be an expert on Thai affairs but I read very wellhttp://thediplomat.com/2012/11/10/ri...rice-exporter/
    Last edited by piwanoi; 21-07-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 11:36 AM
    ^
    It was a subsidy to elevate farmers to a level where they could earn enough money to buy stuff and improve their living standards; and also as has been already mentioned, to keep them in the business of growing food and staying on the land.

They may have to take a significant write down on the surplus rice, but overall and in the longer view it may yet turn out to be a good strategy. I recently sold my city house and moved out to a village until my new place is built. The improvement in living standards and general welfare in the area is very noticeable from 5-10 years ago. Before Thaksin this village had no school, no paved roads, no municipal water supply..... The people are much better off and although there is debt, much of it is "good debt" which has been used to acquire farm machinery, better houses and things like that......and is a few cases, booze and gambling money.....

PS You won't hear about any of this from The Nation or ThaiVisa........

Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM

A faux concern.
    Yes it is.

For any Farang to slightly infer that they have a clue as to what these Thai politicians are doing needs his head examined.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    indeed, it would be easier to understand the mathematical principles behind the operation of the hadron collider than it would be to unravel the workings of the corrupt, greedy, devious and immoral minds of the players and the networking of those that control thai politics.

this is one case of "you farang, you no unnerstan" that holds true.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^^

I agree; politics in Thailand is a tangled web......but still some tangible results are achieved from time to time. Rice farmers were walking, riding bicycles and tending Buffalo, not that many years ago....now they all have pickup trucks and big Kubota's.........

R.I.P
    Last Online
    I think every one is missing the question , I just asked if and when the the bubble will burst with the subsidy on rice ,of course if you are of the opinion that it will last forever all well and good cos its no big deal, just inquiring what others thought cos all the farang rice farmers here give it the maximum of 12 months before the scheme implodes , I would however ask you to read the links in my posts !1 and 12

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    indeed, it would be easier to understand the mathematical principles behind the operation of the hadron collider than it would be to unravel the workings of the corrupt, greedy, devious and immoral minds of the players and the networking of those that control thai politics.

this is one case of "you farang, you no unnerstan" that holds true.
    Yeah TE but I have been reading many many articles written by Thai's which all say that the whole scheme is fiscal lunacy , I have no need to understand whats going on in smoke filled rooms, just have the ability to read what the experts say ,like for instance the honorary President of the Thai rice exporters association .

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by koman View Post
    ^^

I agree; politics in Thailand is a tangled web......but still some tangible results are achieved from time to time. Rice farmers were walking, riding bicycles and tending Buffalo, not that many years ago....now they all have pickup trucks and big Kubota's.........
    Seen these huge, hi-tech combines they have now too?

They can harvest maybe 50 rai in under an hour.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    ^^

Never seen any huge combines here in my area Booners simply cos the field are too small for them to operate ,many locals still cut their 3 or 4 rai with their little hand scythes , Jan my wife was a mean hand with one a few years ago , now she's handed the work over to her family and gets a percentage of the crop

I am in Jail

Last Online
    12-11-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    the tax payers does
    Ah yes... the right-wing's favorite victim... just who are these tax-payers in Thailand?

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by mao say dung View Post
    the tax payers does
    Ah yes... the right-wing's favorite victim... just who are these tax-payers in Thailand?
    Every Farang who is working and every Farang who has a bank account here...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    ^^

Never seen any huge combines here in my area Booners simply cos the field are too small for them to operate ,many locals still cut their 3 or 4 rai with their little hand scythes , Jan my wife was a mean hand with one a few years ago , now she's handed the work over to her family and gets a percentage of the crop
    Yes that kind of farming operation is very quaint but look at the yields in Thailand compared to places like Japan or Taiwan. With or without government subsidies, Thai farmers have to get their asses into at least the 20th century in order to remain competitive in the world market.

Even with crap wages paid to farm labor, it's still financially inefficient and probably not sustainable in the longer term. More and more rice land will have to be consolidated into large enough operations where mechanization can be utilized in a cost effective way.....and there are signs (at least around here) that it has started to happen.

Last Online
    Farm labor in my area (weeders) make 320 baht a day which is a bit above the national average I think.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by mao say dung View Post
    the tax payers does
    Every Farang who is working and every Farang who has a bank account here...
    ......and everybody who buys anything from paper clips to bulldozers and pays VAT.....we are all taxpayers one way or another..... I just paid 60K transfer tax on a real estate sale....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information