Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @

falang noodle seller, ever see?

Last night on ch 9 VIP prog at 10.30 featured a falang in his 30's selling noodles all day in Chinatown bkk with his Thai gf. The mrs thought it was a great idea and I could feel a suggestion coming on so pointed out he was working illegally as food selling is a job restricted to Thais, and he could be in a bit of trouble. She said no he's got a work permit, er I don't think so for selling noodles all day and night. Seems the bloke is a bit of a celebrity being a Thai speaker as well, don't remember where he was from though. Anyone ever seen him, any noodle sellers here? What next falang taxi drivers!

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post

Anyone ever seen him, any noodle sellers here? What next falang taxi drivers!
    He's French and been on TV several times selling Pad Thai. Met his wife in a Kareoke joint but they had no money so they decided to give it a go. No mention has ever been made as to him having a work permit but he is very good at sucking up to the Thais so maybe he'll be o.k. Good luck to him.

Quite a lot of falangs about supporting their families doing odd things. None that I have spoken to have work permits. Just don't even think about doing it somewhere like Pattaya , phuket or other tourist areas. Instant nick.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    skating on thin ice and pretty risky allowing yourself to be on the TV. Having said that some in our family sell noodles and the profit is amazing, so he could afford to be paying for staying so to speak.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    skating on thin ice and pretty risky allowing yourself to be on the TV. Having said that some in our family sell noodles and the profit is amazing, so he could afford to be paying for staying so to speak.
    Well, he was interviewed a long time back and laid it on thick

" pom rak pratet Thai. Pom rak meea pom. Kon Thai jy dee......etc etc."

I think that might be how he gets away with it ....music to their ears.

Thais might have a law for everything but they are pretty good at ignoring them if they feel like it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Last night he said they make 500b profit a day.

He also went on and on and on about how muched he loved his wife, thailand and the thais. Embarrassingly so, the interviewers seemed to be cringing at times.

Seemed a decent enough bloke, but not quite the full shilling.
    Last edited by taxexile; 02-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    not quite the full shilling
    mai tem baht

I can see a thread coming on here...

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Our lot make many times more than that, 500 baht a day is very low, pity he's French so would be rubbish at teaching English. Thais love a bit of ass licking and he's somebody they can look down on as well, bit of a novelty falang.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Last night he said they make 500b profit a day.
    That's very low, but if they're happy and no one is getting hurt, then hey good on them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Why tell anybody the truth, especially your neighbors your true salary?

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    Yep,

This girl used to work with a long term Noodle seller on Rambuttri St just off Koh San.

Around 35 year old Aussie girl.

She was Tefler and worked for years in the same spot with the same family.

Ain't seen here for a few years though.

She was good as well.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Natalie8

Thats exactly what he said, they get by on it and are quite content with what they have, money isnt everything when you love your wife etc.etc.etc.

She, or her family, have fifty rai of farmland in khon khaen, but its not very productive, its dry, tapioca is what they grow there.

Suprisingly, they are not officialy married.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Natalie8 Thats exactly what he said, they get by on it and are quite content with what they have, money isnt everything when you love your wife etc.etc.etc. She, or her family, have fifty rai of farmland in khon khaen, but its not very productive, its dry, tapioca is what they grow there. Suprisingly, they are not officialy married.
    It's a bit disturbing how the OP and other westerners want to attack this guy (and others) regarding work permits and being there illegally. Just because they didn't mention him having a work permit doesn't mean that he doesn't have one. He and his wife own the noodle stand, right?

If he is illegal but the other vendors nor police have any problem with him, why should 'we' get upset over him working there. TBH, I think that's really creative to start a business like that rather than depending on an employer for the rest of your life. Look at how bad things are in France and many other countries now.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Seemed a decent enough bloke, but not quite the full shilling.
    Rare that for a cheese-eating surrender monkey (the bit about being decent I mean).

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Whatever happen to the "No Money, No Honey" schemes..??
    Girls are changing.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Not really RS, you reap what you sew. Cant believe you typed that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    06-09-2020 @ 10:42 AM
    This was a video on the Bangkok Post website a while back, is this the guy?

If it's not, I mean just how many fricking frenchmen are selling noodles in chinatown??

As has been pointed out, the Thais love foreigners who will kiss ass. You'd be surprised at just how much they're willing to "look the other way" if some waxes eloquently or at least tried to, (because his Thai suckz) about how much he loves the country, the thais and of course his thai wife.

I'd bet dollars to durian that he's not "legal", and I find it funny that "natalie8" parroted that he and his wife "own" a noodle stand. If this is the guy in the video, they own a noodle cart and some chairs/tables. It would hardly appear the "capital investment" he made is sufficient to meet the requirements of obtaining a work permit. Another poster pointed out that he might not even be married to his "wife".

You're right though "natalie8" if the other vendors don't care, he's unlikely to have any repercussions. I'd imagine it's more a novelty value sort of dealy, otherwise you'd see a LOT more foreigners hawking noodles..
    "Whoever said `Money can`t buy you love or joy` obviously was not making enough money." <- quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Wat Thafookhisit near to Wat Chamakhorlit
    22 years ago in my wife's village in NKP our milkman was from Scotland. He made a killing cos everyone would stop him on his Foremost m/c to buy something and check him out. No work permit but he just enjoyed getting out and about while working to put food on the table.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie8 View Post
    It's a bit disturbing how the OP and other westerners want to attack this guy (and others) regarding work permits and being there illegally. Just because they didn't mention him having a work permit doesn't mean that he doesn't have one. He and his wife own the noodle stand, right?

I don't see how anyone has attacked him just for pointing out that what he is doing is illegal. No way has this guy got a work permit and I wonder what visa he's on at his age? You can say good luck to the bloke for getting away with it, seemingly by ass licking his hosts, but it's hardly something to copy as it's pretty insecure and at his age he's putting nothing by for the future. Some might say that's a bit 'disturbing'.Seems like a nice bloke anyway so lets hope it works out long term.
    Last edited by xanax; 02-07-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Why tell anybody the truth, especially your neighbors your true salary?
    Thais always seem to do this. I remember going into a School in Issan years back and looking at the staffroom wall. All the teachers names were up on a big chart along with what qualifications they had, how long they had worked there, and how much they earned. I though it was a good idea but can't see in catching on in UK Schools.
    I know how much most of the neighbours earn and how much husbands give the wifes, never asked though, they just seem to like to say even if it's not so much.

Last Online
    @
    It's initially cringeworthy because many farangs associate that with peasant work. No work permit? Obviously, but what if his noodles are the best in the street? I don't think 500 Baht is an accurate amount, it's probably a lot more.

He's got the balls to do it, agreed it looks odd but at least he's not just drinking in expat bars skint whilst moaning about Thailand, and he's getting his ass out of bed in the mornings.

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Not really RS, you reap what you sew. Cant believe you typed that.
    ...guess I forgot the proverbial sarcasm smilie....

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    26-05-2015 @ 02:47 PM
    Sucking in bad air all day. No thanks.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels
    This was a video on the Bangkok Post website a while back, is this the guy?
    His Thai is peasantish and his Thinglish is cringeworthy. Maybe our resident Falong can straighten him out?

Last Online
    @
    If I was selling noodles like that, I'd just claim to other farangs that it's charity work, definitely wouldn't start spouting all that thaiophile ranting

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-10-2022 @ 11:24 AM
    Looks a bit like "comedy farang" doing an "Uncle Tom" here. Feel a bit sorry for the guy living so hand to mouth though. The day he starts interfering with the business of the other hoards of street vendors there, he is probably a goner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information