Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp
    Here's a simple situation . You are in Manchester at 9 in the evening . You walk around the corner and ahead of you is a collection of 11 white lads around 15 years old . Hoody tops . Bicycles . Dirty trainers . Do you feel apprehensive ? Would you cross the road ? Would you feel inclined to turn around as though you forgot something . Is that a racism towards white boys or is it experience telling you to step with care ? But consider this ......... instead of Manchester you are in London - in Brixton . You walk around the corner and there's a group of black lads " hanging together " . Now tell me you wouldn't get the fuck out of there at top speed !!!
    Here's a simple answer. I live in Manchester, in Moss Side/Hulme, and I've lived in Brixton. I see both groups you describe on a daily basis. I don't feel the slightest bit intimidated by either.
    Agree.

I lived in Brixton 10 or so years ago. I lived at the bottom of cold harbour lane. I never had any inkling of trouble going to the dogstar or the pub further up on the other side of the road and so on. You're in an urban area so you have to keep your wits about you, but, no different to anywhere else.
    <Your advert for prostitutes here, reasonable rates>

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    More evidence for racism's right to exist. It's whole point actually.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    ^ WTF links your speech with your image in that quote

Banned
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    Why is skin colour meaningless? Are you aware that there are quite substantial differences in the IQ between the races? East Asians and Europeans do well, and Africans are more at the bottom?
    Those numbers are very close to numbers I have obtained from another source.

IQ scores are very unpopular with liberals because it provides a common-sense, simple, and clear-cut answer as to why some races do better in academic mastery than others.

If academic achievement (or lack of) is attributed primarily to IQ, then the liberals can't justify spending (read wasting) billions of taxpayer dollars trying to "equalize the playing field".

They would prefer to come up with bizzare theories (all needing money to fix).

My own view is that to succeed academically; a) you have to have an opportunity to attend school, b) a strong desire to learn backed up with a work ethic, and c) a basic amount of intelligence commissurate with the difficulty of the subject matter (i.e. it takes less intelligence to get a BS degree in chicano studies, than it is to get a BS degree in chemical engineering).

Just my opinion of course.

Still there are more important qualities to being a human than just pure intelligence.

Look at Wicked Willie Clinton. He supposedly had a high IQ and a great education, and he was basically a dirtbag.

I have more respect for someone with a low IQ and little education, who works hard and is honest, than extremely smart people with advanced degrees that have low character.

Again, just my opinion.

RickThai
    Quite right, but there is another correlation I must tell you about, between intelligence and religiosity. The red beams represent the average IQ of the population of the countries, and the blue ones how many percent of the population are religious.

In a nutshell, dimwitted people tend to be religious. You are a Buddhist?
    I've seen that correlation between "extremely" religious and low IQ as well. There is probably something to the premise that people with lower IQs are more likely to accept the pure dogma of their religion than smarter people.

However, in any religion's doctrine there are gems of knowledge that a really smart person will recognize as being very valuable truths to incorporate into your life in order to realize your potential of becoming both a better person and making the most of this life, and, perhaps paving the way for a future life.

That is, IMO, what separates the truly smart from those who live a life of superficial gratification, greed, and selfishness. Many of the later seem to wind up alone, broke, angry, and depressed.

I would think that finding a religion that makes you happier, healthier, and satisfied with your life is a much "smarter" course of action than believing in nothing but indulging in as many "cheap thrills" as often as you can for as long as you can.

Santi,

RickThai

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I've seen the very same reasoning in the ideological defence of communism. Interesting. I don't know how people can find happiness in something based on evident falsehoods, and contortions added by a long history. For example the famous Buddha quote 'Doubt everything. Find your own light.'

Banned
    Last Online
    [QUOTE=Rainfall;2485951]I don't know how people can find happiness in something based on evident falsehoods, and contortions. . .[QUOTE]
    If you don't arlready, perhaps you should just try living by the following precepts for two months:

1) Don't steal (or take anything not given).
    2) Don't lie (say things only if you believe they are true and beneficial)
    3) Don't become intoxicated (through alcohol or drugs)
    4) Don't engage in wrongful sex (underage, married to someone else, or illegal)
    5) Don't kill (this is the hardest thing to comply with due to mosquitoes and flies).

My guess is that regardless of the religion behind, you will find your life is more contented.

If you already follow these precepts, than, according to Buddhism, you are well on your way to becoming a true Buddha, someone who discovered the value of these truths, on their own.

Good luck,

RickThai

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Indistinguishable from Mao Tse Tung's eight precepts laid down in the little red book, or some of the commandments of the Christians. I'm afraid killing and stealing aren't bad because Mao, God or Buddha said so, but because they're violations of the universal moral codex of humans, which include atheists. What I mean by evident falsehoods where your superstition is concerned, that's the rebirth nonsense, and karma. Sorry, no evidence this is actually taking place.

As an atheist I'm gonna take the shortcut to Nirwana without ever bothering with Buddha. What about that?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    11-07-2014 @ 08:15 PM
    you believe there is a soul, rainfall?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    I don't.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    what is your personality made from?

genes, upbringing, environment?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yes. Do you have recollections of being in your mum's womb? Or the early years of childhood? It all points to a maturing mind, not a soul detached from it. And that it's transient.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by alitongkat
    Indistinguishable from Mao Tse Tung's eight precepts laid down in the little red book, or some of the commandments of the Christians. I'm afraid killing and stealing aren't bad because Mao, God or Buddha said so, but because they're violations of the universal moral codex of humans, which include atheists.
    The precepts are quite distinguisble from Mao, who laid down a political book. Buddha did not offer them as the words of God, like the Commandments to the Jews later adopted by the Christians, and Christ's preaching of non-violence.
    The precepts are guides to live by. Like the Eight Fold Path, if you like them, use them. If not...? Your decision. But no God is going to reign shit on you if you don't. Buddhist Hells are temporary states, not permanent.

Clearly, they do take up what is obviously a universal moral revulsion to killing and stealing and incorporate it into their creed.
    What I mean by evident falsehoods where your superstition is concerned, that's the rebirth nonsense, and karma.
    A lot of superstitions, and a bunch of elements that have to be accepted on faith to be on the path to Enlightenment. Karma is one of them. Rebirth, and enlightment. I can't remember the rest. None of which negates the advantages of living by the precepts and taking some cues from the Eight Fold Path.

All things in moderation; including moderation, I always say. It's a good thing, and much more interesing than cynacism.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    MrG - i think you quoted RAINFALL, not me...

e.g. here
    I've seen the very same reasoning in the ideological defence of communism. ...

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by alitongkat View Post
    MrG - i think you quoted RAINFALL, not me...

e.g. here
    I've seen the very same reasoning in the ideological defence of communism. ...
    I did quote Rainfall, but this board has a glitch in it that renames things.

Banned
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by MrG View Post
    Indistinguishable from Mao Tse Tung's eight precepts laid down in the little red book, or some of the commandments of the Christians. I'm afraid killing and stealing aren't bad because Mao, God or Buddha said so, but because they're violations of the universal moral codex of humans, which include atheists.
    The precepts are quite distinguisble from Mao, who laid down a political book. Buddha did not offer them as the words of God, like the Commandments to the Jews later adopted by the Christians, and Christ's preaching of non-violence.
    The precepts are guides to live by. Like the Eight Fold Path, if you like them, use them. If not...? Your decision. But no God is going to reign shit on you if you don't. Buddhist Hells are temporary states, not permanent.

Clearly, they do take up what is obviously a universal moral revulsion to killing and stealing and incorporate it into their creed.
    What I mean by evident falsehoods where your superstition is concerned, that's the rebirth nonsense, and karma.
    A lot of superstitions, and a bunch of elements that have to be accepted on faith to be on the path to Enlightenment. Karma is one of them. Rebirth, and enlightment. I can't remember the rest. None of which negates the advantages of living by the precepts and taking some cues from the Eight Fold Path.

All things in moderation; including moderation, I always say. It's a good thing, and much more interesing than cynacism.
    MrG,

Well stated. I would add, that the dhamma taught by the Buddha, was based on his self-discovery of "universal laws".

From a "common sense" standpoint, every known energy in the universe is re-cycled (or converted) in some way, so why wouldn't the "essence of life" be re-used (i.e. reborn)?

Also the causality of actions and results are generally accepted as being universal laws. So why wouldn't behavior that you "know" is bad, result in "bad" consequences and vice versus?

Of course, there are elements of Buddhist doctrine that may or may not be 100% correct in the universal scheme of things, because after all, the Buddha was a man.

Still the more you study Buddhism, the more you realize just how comprehensive the doctrine is as you attempt to incorporate it into the different aspects of your life.

Santi,

RickThai

I am in Jail

Last Online
    12-11-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai
    Still the more you study Buddhism, the more you realize just how comprehensive the doctrine is as you attempt to incorporate it into the different aspects of your life.
    Well... that's something you'll never hear from a Christian or a Muslim. No sirreebob. They reckon the more you study and practice according to whatever precepts they get handed, the more you see how narrow and absurd it is.

Last Online
    @
    From a "common sense" standpoint, every known energy in the universe is re-cycled (or converted) in some way, so why wouldn't the "essence of life" be re-used (i.e. reborn)? Also the causality of actions and results are generally accepted as being universal laws. So why wouldn't behavior that you "know" is bad, result in "bad" consequences and vice versus?
    Yes. I understand the argument in favor of karma. They are quite sensible. They describe the negative and positive karma as energy moving through time, much like energy moves through water as a wave. It's a good argument and one I more or less subscribe to, but is an object of faith. To my wife, it's self apparent.

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM

As an atheist I'm gonna take the shortcut to Nirwana without ever bothering with Buddha. What about that?

I was watching a documentary on this Irish tosser that had converted to being a full on fanatical Muslim. Changed his name to khalib, calls for Sharia law in England, hates England and Ireland because the are not predominantly Muslim.

Had gone hard core supporting beheading of infidels and supporting home grown terrorists in England as well.

Associated only with hard core Muslims and most had been banged up under England's new Terrorists laws.

What a fuking wanker he was, a closet case of just how dangerous fanatical religion is of any domination.

Yes, I'm an atheist as well I recon.

I do like Buddhism but fuk me EH, dont do your nuts over it and just live your life as a good person is not a bad idea.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post

I was watching a documentary on this Irish tosser that had converted to being a full on fanatical Muslim. Changed his name to khalib, calls for Sharia law in England, hates England and Ireland because the are not predominantly Muslim.

Had gone hard core supporting beheading of infidels and supporting home grown terrorists in England as well.

Associated only with hard core Muslims and most had been banged up under England's new Terrorists laws.

What a fuking wanker he was, a closet case of just how dangerous fanatical religion is of any domination.

I do like Buddhism but fuk me EH, dont do your nuts over it and just live your life as a good person is not a bad idea.
    Hey Terry is this the Clown you was referring to? , no doubt with the full approval of all the other "appeasers " and excuse making clowns on TD forum You are now entering Sharia law Britain: As Islamic extremists declare a Sharia law zone in a London suburb, there are worrying social and moral implications | Mail Online

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    From a "common sense" standpoint, every known energy in the universe is re-cycled (or converted) in some way, so why wouldn't the "essence of life" be re-used (i.e. reborn)? Also the causality of actions and results are generally accepted as being universal laws. So why wouldn't behavior that you "know" is bad, result in "bad" consequences and vice versus?
    Yes. I understand the argument in favor of karma. They are quite sensible. They describe the negative and positive karma as energy moving through time, much like energy moves through water as a wave. It's a good argument and one I more or less subscribe to, but is an object of faith. To my wife, it's self apparent.
    No they are not. You can't apply causality from the physical world in Lalaland. Religions describe the realm of causal fallacies.

The essence of life are neurons, their multiple connections, and chemicals in the brain. The information they carry is lost when they disintegrate.

Entropy is the fundamental law of the universe. From order to chaos. Energy isn't recycled, but dispersed.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post

The theory floated by Rickthai was that Buddhism makes you a good person. Buddhist follow simple precepts

1) Don't steal (or take anything not given).
    2) Don't lie (say things only if you believe they are true and beneficial)
    3) Don't become intoxicated (through alcohol or drugs)
    4) Don't engage in wrongful sex (underage, married to someone else, or illegal)
    5) Don't kill (this is the hardest thing to comply with due to mosquitoes and flies).

Or do they? Except for 4) perhaps Thais violate these precepts far more often and habitually than the average Westerner, atheist or Christian. The evidence proves that buddhism makes you a bad person, doesn't it?

Last Online
    ^

I agree totally, its a load of shit, the Thais break every rule in the book and then turn around and say they are good Buddhist.

But every religion is the same, take Christianity for example.

Priests in Australia being protected by the church yet they shag kiddies in the arse and engage in pedophilia is well documented. So many been caught out its a bad joke.

Islamist's beheading people and engaging in terrorism in the Name of the peaceful Allah. ????

Actually anyone who is a fanatical religious nutter and hides under religion is usually running away from there past .

Its like a alcoholic who has sobered up and decries others who can enjoy a sociable drink.

An Atheist is saying, don't lay your religious shit on me as I'm intelligent enough to lead my own life my way without needing to pander to some make believe god.

As you can see, I'm not one to be part of a party. Most people join groups as they need to be nurtured by a group and have problems being independent.

Makes me piss my pants laughing when each of these groups say there God is the only God. Can only be one God and its my God.

Ok tossers, who is it then ?

Buddha ? Christ ? Allah ?

Anyway Google this cock head up " Khalib Kelly. "

Good read and total proof that Religion is the Devils best friend in many cases.
    Last edited by terry57; 22-06-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Its like a alcoholic who has sobered up and decries others who can enjoy a sociable drink.
    One doesn't have to be an alcholic to have a drink, just as one doesn't have to be a "religeous nutter" to be religeous, or spiritual.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post

Hey Terry is this the Clown you was referring to?
    Na " khalib Kelly " is the dude but part of the same hard core group. Seems like good old Blighty aint that far away from a full on religious war.

What a fuking shit hole EH.

Some hard lines need to be taken with the hard core Mussies.

Last Online

One doesn't have to be an alcoholic to have a drink, just as one doesn't have to be a "religious nutter" to be religious, or spiritual.

True, my comments are aimed at the fuking wankers who are fanatical like the Jehovah witness wankers who pound doors or the Catholic priest taking confessional but who is thinking about sucking a young boys cock when he knocks off work or the good Buddhist who has just killed someone and retreats to the Wat in robes or the Islamist who has just beheaded some Infidel and has gone of for a little prey to the friendly Allah.

Or the ex alcoholic who now bleats on about his new found religion incessantly.

Its like, tell someone who gives a fuk.

My comments are not aimed at the average punter who might call on a bit of Spiritual guidance once in a while.

A very big difference between the two groups.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information