Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Does your father-in-law usually wear what looks like a morning suit in those sketches? Bit hot I would have thought

Simon

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    he has changed out of them in the real pics

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-07-2018 @ 10:23 AM

The grounds with a concrete slab and the Rice barn posts which have the cross beam supports holes in them. There are 10 posts total and made from a rare hardwood cut supposedely 100 years ago. The chaps moving the ricebarn were all chatting to themselves about the quality of the wood posts, and it was agreed that they would be very expensive to buy indivdually. The posts have to be raised with concrete pilings from the floor to create a clearence head height of over 2 meters.

This shows the joists in the rice barn and these are 7 meters long and thicker than normal joists you will normally see, some are warped from age and from being handcut. We need extra joists and posts for the extension of the rice barn which will be an outside terrace, but we have these already.

The wood frame sits on the outside edge of the floorboards, originally it was only high enough to reach as a ballistrade. This will be made to reach upto the roof height as a complete wall with windows across the length to let in light.

Walls will be constructed with Teak single sided panels leaving the inside wall open looking at the outside panel. However internal walls to split the main room and bathroom/walkin wardrobe will be double panelled. The inside of the bathroom will be wood with viva board and tiled accordingly. the doors to the terrace will be bifilding doors with glass in them to let in more light, they face North so not too much heat will heat the inside.

Teak framed wooden windows with glass, these are over shadowed by the eaves so have been lowered to catch as much light from the north.

Windows at the back for the bathroom to let in light and keep privacy.

With the roof on, and with the ventilation in the roof to keep a natural way of keeping the room ventilated and removing hot air. A large space is needed to effectively remove hot air, and with the main house we have found this works very well.

More to come....
    im hot its so hot today.......milk was a bad choice!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Very nice guest house. I look forward to the build pics.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    looks good Ben

the only thing I would change slightly at this stage is the height of the ground floor

you say

Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk
    The posts have to be raised with concrete pilings from the floor to create a clearence head height of over 2 meters.
    I would recommend adding to that so you get at least 2.5m. When that space gets used it will feel much less claustrophobic for little extra cost
    I have reported your post

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    looks good Ben

the only thing I would change slightly at this stage is the height of the ground floor

you say

The posts have to be raised with concrete pilings from the floor to create a clearence head height of over 2 meters.
    I would recommend adding to that so you get at least 2.5m. When that space gets used it will feel much less claustrophobic for little extra cost

Thank you both, I hope to have some moving before the end of the year. Dr.A the head clearence does not refer to the ceiling height, but in fact the lowest part when walking through ie. the crossbeams for the posts. The clearence height will be about 2.25-2.3 meters high, this means the ceiling height with cross beam height and joists will be well above 2.5meters.

I didnt want too much concrete or bricks, which ever we decide on but about 50-60 cms of ground pillar will be neccessary.

We hope the price for construction will be about 105,000-120,000, based on previous work. This includes quality detail in wood on the eaves and time to execute finishing to a good standard. Electric and water will be an added extra, but not much.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Ben, you mention that you hope the build will be 105K-120K, but I see from a previous post you also mentioned a construction budget of 250K. Are you breaking up the building costs?

Just trying to get a feel for overall total costs including land, materials and build.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Dr.A the head clearence does not refer to the ceiling height, but in fact the lowest part when walking through
    I still think you need another 50cm, much better

Last Online
    13-11-2020 @ 04:02 AM
    I wonder how Insect/Reptile proof these old houses would be? It is a constant war in LOS Housing. Too many gaps in the wood walls. Termites are also a huge problem. We bought beautiful teak furniture, which eventually turned out to have small termites inside.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnski12 View Post
    I wonder how Insect/Reptile proof these old houses would be? It is a constant war in LOS Housing. Too many gaps in the wood walls. Termites are also a huge problem. We bought beautiful teak furniture, which eventually turned out to have small termites inside.
    I thought termites didn't like teak.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnski12
    We bought beautiful teak furniture, which eventually turned out to have small termites inside.
    you were sold something else

teak is one of those woods that insects don't attack, except the newish wood on the surface under the bark

Banned

Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Cantilever deck without vertical support? R-U- counting on the stairs to support this?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ 555 good point

he will need support at both ends

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 06:58 PM
    This is a fantastic thread as I am currently finishing the landscaping around my "concrete castle but have plans to build a small traditional Thai wood home on some land at the back of our home. Ben, all the best with it mate, and as I say I am reading all your offerings and learning heaps.
    Just a Member number

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    ^
    Ben, you mention that you hope the build will be 105K-120K, but I see from a previous post you also mentioned a construction budget of 250K. Are you breaking up the building costs?

Just trying to get a feel for overall total costs including land, materials and build.
    Hi Rick

The cost is for labour, and th other 125,000 of the 250,000 budget would be for materials including concrete foundations, slab as well as bathroom. Sorry for not making this more clear.
    We hope to get a better price, because the project is a continuation of the main house. I am half tempted to get the builders to erect the main components and then I will finish the internal parts.
    It might cost as low as 200,000 but Im waiting on my builder to quote me, and then get someone from Baan Thi to counter quote against the work.
    Thanks for checking it out!

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    Cantilever deck without vertical support? R-U- counting on the stairs to support this?

No its not, Im messing around with best places to put posts and if to have an enclosed wall area below for kitchen/toilet. The stairs are made of teak and will probably go into the terrace straight up at the gap in the ballistrade showing.

The posts are needed if we decide to have a roof over the terrace and how this works in regards to the stairs.

I hope to have some mroe pics soon.

cheers!

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Dr.A the head clearence does not refer to the ceiling height, but in fact the lowest part when walking through
    I still think you need another 50cm, much better
    The main house is 235 cm to the cross beam and 260 to the ceiling , and is spacious enough for myself and head an feels high. I am 186 cm tall.
    There is a limit in terms of posts and also in this particular case how much concrete we want on show.
    The posts on most rice barns are not at the edges of the house, and set in, this means you want to keep the concrete to a minimum. To get a height of 2.30 We need a raised concrete foundation pillar of 55-60 cms from the slab.

Considering the small footprint and openess of the rice barn, I dont think the extra height you suggest is really needed, but of course will keep it in mind.

Cheers

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by ossierob View Post
    This is a fantastic thread as I am currently finishing the landscaping around my "concrete castle but have plans to build a small traditional Thai wood home on some land at the back of our home. Ben, all the best with it mate, and as I say I am reading all your offerings and learning heaps.

Hi, Thank you. Its a great pleasure please ask any questions.

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 04:52 PM
    Hi Ben, looking good from here !
    Is it open plan or do you have a ceiling if so wht's the height and will you have insulation on top to keep the heat out ?
    I love wood, my favourite time at school was in the carpentry class.
    The Mil has a lovely big wooden house, i have secret plans for that.
    Wishing you all the very best in your build, ben.

Too old to Rock 'N' Roll :

Too young to Die !

Banned

Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benlovesnuk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post

No its not, Im messing around with best places to put posts and if to have an enclosed wall area below for kitchen/toilet. The stairs are made of teak and will probably go into the terrace straight up at the gap in the ballistrade showing.

The posts are needed if we decide to have a roof over the terrace and how this works in regards to the stairs.

I hope to have some mroe pics soon.

cheers!
    I doubt you'll need the support as you have previously erected under the main house frame? Perhaps utilize some pre-cast types? Take a look around at other teak house builds before you do your stairway. I have a plan for three different levels or tiers for our build. this will allow for brief stops along the way when bringing groceries in or for old people to get a bit of rest along the way should they need it. Opposing directions is also part of the three tiered plan. All levels to be roofed in with a bench for resting.

A roof shade is nice since you'll certainly want to sit out and enjoy the days views, but most folks stop by and linger at the downstairs venue under the house. The social center for all Thais in rural areas.

Bathrooms downstairs are for visitors and washing mostly. Be sure to plan your electrical and plumbing to co-inside with your upstairs loo and kitchen? We will keep the upstairs bath and kitchen separate from the main house altogether. If we want to use either we will have to leave the confines of the main house or bedroom to access those facilities. We decided to do it this way so we didn't have the smells from kitchens or baths entering our main living and sleeping areas.

Utilizing a "gravity tank for water is also one of our design plans. There will be a common septic for upstairs and downstairs so both baths will share a common PVC routing as well electrical wiring needs.

How large is your property? You may have stated before but I don't recall. If large and you plan on a garden then "grey water," usage for this purpose will enhance your irrigation system.

Nice plans.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Metal View Post
    Hi Ben, looking good from here !
    Is it open plan or do you have a ceiling if so wht's the height and will you have insulation on top to keep the heat out ?
    I love wood, my favourite time at school was in the carpentry class.
    The Mil has a lovely big wooden house, i have secret plans for that.
    Wishing you all the very best in your build, ben.

Hi, thank you. I really feel wood is the best way to go. I like going to wood yards and finding the materials to build with. The look and feel of wood is second to none in this instance and gives great flexibilty, and we are recycling old wood and I like this concept.
    It would have been easy to build an all concrete house, which wouldnt have suited the area. However we wanted to build something more inline and traditional with the surrounding areas.
    It would be great to see your plans, thanks again.

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 04:52 PM
    ....so, remind me, what happened to this build ???

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I think it was the common reason, lack of funds.

I'm in Jail

Last Online
    25-03-2024 @ 12:07 PM
    Lots of places for sale on route 13 Pakse Laos. I was here years ago and the same mansion that is boarded up and pretty much destroyed is said to be demolished soon. Its got a great location.

I asked If I could get in it and take a few pics as we passed by. Mabey some day. Its a monster and looks like a great spot for a horror flick. My driver said it's full of shit and piss as the local kids destroyed it.

Said it was a falangs house many many years ago. I didn't ask what happened to the guy.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    ^ the countryside of Thailand is littered with such buildings.
    And nobody knows what happened to the Farang.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information