Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Online
    19-08-2014 @ 10:40 AM

bank account for retirement visa

I keep getting differenr answers to the same question and that is...when you apply for the retirement visa or the permit to stay stamp does the bank account have to be in my name only or can it be in both my name and the wifes name...
    can anyone please give me the correct answer...
    Thanks....Steven

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    I think I can clear a little bit of confusion up mate ,

The first part I think you have to apply in your home Country for your retirement visa and I think at that point the money dont come into it.

Then when you re-apply in Thailand , I believe its only for an extension as such for the existing visa ,, not a visa per sae . Thats the point I believe where the money factor comes in to play ,, I,m sorry cant help you on that one so I aint gonna guess , but when the locals wake tomorrow there will be plenty of help
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Last Online
    @
    your name

A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht
    Royal Thai Embassy

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-11-2023 @ 10:30 AM
    The money has to be in an account in your name only...I fell foul of this a few years ago. I forget how many hoops I had to jump through!

Last Online
    thanks charleyboy...as sson as i get over there i will be going to the bangkok bank

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    I assume your wife is Thai. In which case don't bother with applying for a retirement visa which I believe can only be obtained from a Royal Thai Embassy and is more of a hassle.

Instead, submit an application to one of several consulates dotted about for a Non - O visa as a spouse of a Thai national. The requirements are easily met, completed application form, marriage certificate, letter from spouse and her passport/ID card and the fee which if you go for the multiple visa valid for one year is about £100.
    This visa allows you unlimited number of entries during the year with each one limited to 3 months. Thus it can in practice give you up to 15 months in Thailand if you time it nicely.

The beauty of this approach is that you now have plenty of time to "get your eye in" before deciding on what basis you choose to remain - the immigration rules only stipulate that you must have a Non-O visa before submitting an application to remain for retirement, it doesn't have to have been issued for retirement.

Frankly, if one is of a mind to return home annually and doesn't mind travelling periodically around the region then the Non -O multiple visa is perhaps the best solution to lawful residence in the LoS and has the merit of excluding Thai immigration bureaux from one's life, always a bonus in my book.
    Last edited by Seekingasylum; 25-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Last Online
    09-04-2014 @ 06:02 PM
    ^ excellent post good info - take a green

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    u can also come in on a tourist visa if ur over 50 and than have that changed to a type "O" non immigrant visa.

Put ur money in the bank when u first come in as it needs stay there 2 months ( first time only than 3 months) and than u apply for the 1 year extension.
    make sure u get at the least a single re entry permit at the same time.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity, but they've always worked for me" HST

View my pics

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    I agree with thegent on this one.
    If you apply for a Non Imm OA in USA then you need to produce a police clearance certificate.
    I know that won't be a problem for you but it's all hassle that you can avoid.

Get a non imm O visa and then extend for one year in Nan based on retirement and show a bank account in your name only with 800k baht.

The bank account can be on deposit and will earn you about 3.5% interest

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    if you are receiving a pension that is above the min rqmt, OA Visa with a retirement extension is too easy and one doesn't have to be concerned with the 800,000 baht in the bank. additionally, with the OA Visa and retirement extension, there is no need for providing photos of you and your spouse at your residence or any of that other crazy stuff.
    "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and it is all small stuff"

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thaistyle29 View Post
    thanks charleyboy...as sson as i get over there i will be going to the bangkok bank
    They're crap.

Go to Kasikorn.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Problem with the current retirement minimum income tariff is that with the depreciation in currencies against the baht it is now quite difficult for many to qualify - in terms of GBP Sterling it means a chap would need an annual pension(s) of £17,700. For many not yet eligible for a state pension that is quite a challenging amount.

Last Online
    03-06-2019 @ 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent View Post
    I assume your wife is Thai. In which case don't bother with applying for a retirement visa which I believe can only be obtained from a Royal Thai Embassy and is more of a hassle.

Instead, submit an application to one of several consulates dotted about for a Non - O visa as a spouse of a Thai national. The requirements are easily met, completed application form, marriage certificate, letter from spouse and her passport/ID card and the fee which if you go for the multiple visa valid for one year is about £100.
    This visa allows you unlimited number of entries during the year with each one limited to 3 months. Thus it can in practice give you up to 15 months in Thailand if you time it nicely.

The beauty of this approach is that you now have plenty of time to "get your eye in" before deciding on what basis you choose to remain - the immigration rules only stipulate that you must have a Non-O visa before submitting an application to remain for retirement, it doesn't have to have been issued for retirement.

Frankly, if one is of a mind to return home annually and doesn't mind travelling periodically around the region then the Non -O multiple visa is perhaps the best solution to lawful residence in the LoS and has the merit of excluding Thai immigration bureaux from one's life, always a bonus in my book.
    Very much agree. Try this route first. It's easy and actually encourages you to do some travelling in the region.

Last Online
    Thanks for all the great info...the retirement visa/permit to stay stamp i will apply for will be based on being married to a thai citizen...therefor i will only need to show 45,000 baht income a month...no problem with my retirement money...
    thanks again

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    1. THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for 2 months before the visa application
    2. Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner’s embassy has to be shown to verify this income.

Last Online
    22-02-2018 @ 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa View Post
    ^
    2. Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A
    letter from the foreigner’s embassy has to be shown to verify this income.
    Wrong
    That is for Marriage extension. Retirement is 800000baht.
    Income Retirement
    Only 2 months on first application after that 3 months.
    (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date
    Last edited by harrry; 26-03-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by harrry View Post
    ^
    Wrong
    Income Retirement
    (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date

Thanks for all the great info...the retirement visa/permit to stay stamp i will apply for will be based on being married to a thai citizen...therefor i will only need to show 45,000 baht income a month...no problem with my retirement money...
    thanks again
    thaistyle29 says the above
    Big Ol' Lucky Ol' Al.

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by harrry View Post
    ^
    Wrong
    Income Retirement

thanks again
    thaistyle29 says the above
    And I says he still asks for retirement visa.
    the retirement visa/permit to stay stamp i will apply for will be based on being married to a thai citizen.
    Even if he is married and applies for a retirement visa he needs the full amount.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ I think that's why he is say "he will apply for an extension based on being married to a thai....no problem with my retirement money...
    thanks again"

That's the way I read it.....Maybe thaistyle29 can confirm .

Last Online
    ^ I think that's why he is say "he will apply for an extension based on being married to a thai....no problem with my retirement money...
    thanks again"

That's the way I read it.....Maybe thaistyle29 can confirm .
    He probably is but it is a more involved process. Just wanted to clarrify things as I do not want someone to read that post and think he only needs 400000 for a retirement visa if married. With immigration it pays to get things right.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Yes I agree.

BTW...I have 3 friends that live local to me that are married to Thais that have changed over from a Retirement Extension to a Marriage Extension because of the exchange rate and their UK Pensions no longer meet the criteria for the Retirement Extension.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by thaistyle29
    I keep getting differenr answers to the same question
    It doesn't help when you change the question.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    Get a non imm O visa and then extend for one year in Nan based on retirement and show a bank account in your name only with 800k baht.
    after that year, can it be extended again and again?

and each time you leave the country, do you need to get an exit permit or risk losing the visa?

TheGents way is the same as I do, but that is because I leave the country quite a bit

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    after that year, can it be extended again and again?

and each time you leave the country, do you need to get an exit permit or risk losing the visa?

TheGents way is the same as I do, but that is because I leave the country quite a bit
    yes and yes
    It is always a good idea to get at least one re-entry permit when extending in case of emergency.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    The re - entry visa can be obtained at Swampy on day of departure. It's a contracted service provided by a company which operates the system although it resolves to the passport being passed to the dedicated immigration officer who sits behind them for stamping. Saves messing about and is available from 0600 - 2400 hrs. Very efficient and involves a wait of 30 mins or so. They don't bother with the forms you may have prepared but simply input data direct into the computer and capture your mug digitally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information