Last Online
    24-07-2013 @ 06:53 PM

health insurance.

retirees have to have proof of income to get their visa and therefore are see as having enough money to exist and for medical, my suggestion to stop all the free loaders who are costing the thai medical association/govt 1.2billion baht per yesr is: all visitors to thailand will have to have medical insurance and if they don' then it's the next flight home. they can spend 5000 a day on sheilas, grog etc but cannot afford to pay for illnesses.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    I went on Holiday to Australia with my Thai wife,landed in Sydney and our first outing was in the back of an ambulance to Prince of Wales hospital. Excellent care,but I had to pay for it as at the time. My wife had a Thai passport. We had no travel insurance,but it did not matter,I would have paid anything to save her life.
    When I am in Thailand I pay cash for the little medical care I have had there at times.
    Why don't I have travel insurance,I'll tell you why,in Bali I went to the International clinic,bill only£100 then back in the U.K they sent it to lose adjuster,fkn insurance cost me £60. The tossers where disputing a measly £100 bill. Saved Myself a fortune since, by not having travel insurance ,only would have it for the U.S.A

Last Online
    30-03-2013 @ 10:45 AM
    I have a Thai medical card and I get free meds and treatment from local hospital. I took my wife to the UK for a visit and she got a fish bone stuck in her throat. She was treated free of charge. I'd say that was fair.
    they can spend 5000 a day on sheilas, grog etc
    Please don't speak for me.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    Why don't I have travel insurance,I'll tell you why,in Bali I went to the International clinic,bill only£100 then back in the U.K they sent it to lose adjuster,fkn insurance cost me £60. The tossers where disputing a measly £100 bill. Saved Myself a fortune since, by not having travel insurance ,only would have it for the U.S.A
    thank you for telling us why

so, if you have an accident and need an operation, you can pay for it directly, very sensible

I was stupid last year, I bought travel insurance and it cost me $400 approx

In Portugal I had an accident and needed surgery; the final bill was around Euros15000, approx $20,000; the insurance paid for it all, incl any taxis needed and later outpatient attention

How stupid I was!
    I have reported your post

Last Online
    09-04-2014 @ 06:02 PM
    I use my Platinum card when travelling - It appears to give me free insurance but I have not tested it yet!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    that is the trouble with insurance, it seems a waste of money until you need it

you just have to define the risks and decide whether it is worth it or not

for me, travel/health insurance is a good buy

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    The UK government will give anyone free treatment, wherever they come from. You might have to wait a few months though.

Last Online
    @
    I'm off to the States next week.

I looked at several Thai options and found that they were very expensive (approx 9000 THB) in comparison to UK firms but the coverage was shite, just $160,000 medical, the best being AMEX with $320,000

In the UK I could get insured for two weeks in the States with $10m cover for just 70 quid (approx 3500) but they wanted any trip to start from the UK to be eligible.

In the end I went online and found a policy for medical coverage in the US for visitors. Still around 8500THB but the coverage is excellent.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    I remember a couple of threads on here last year ? about a couple of guys , mabe Phuket area who had travelled with no insurance ,, I believe in one instance either him or his family had paid out £20000 and had run out of money , I believe he was just about to be put out the hospital because the funds had run out.

I believe in the UK no-one would be turned away from A+E if you were on holiday and in an emergercy situation , who knows ? might not be a physical accident like the Docs ,,could be a burst appendix or a kidney stone ? best to get cover we allways do its peace of mind ,, I allways pay the extra bit of car hire insurance to cover ANY claim.

Just as an aside I have looked into getting a 6 month policy for the wife and I to come to Thailand this year ,, her being 30 something and me being ,,,,,well a fair bit older and its a very reasonable £379 for us both ,, and that gives overall about £2m in cover .
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I think years ago we could be proud of the fact that the UK will treat EVERYONE regardless of nationality free of charge..

Unfortunately like everything else, it's been abused and raped by every man and his dog.

Maternity wards now sound like the former USSR / Third-world nowadays.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan
    I believe in the UK no-one would be turned away from A+E if you were on holiday and in an emergercy situation
    The UK government said last year that no one would ever be turned away from treatment.

Thread Information