Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

We didn't own an iPad

I remember EVERYTHING from this

We didn't own an Ipad - YouTube

Last Online
    09-07-2017 @ 11:31 PM
    Think we must be a similar vintage Moonraker - I remember most of them too !

Going down the phone box 'cos we wern't posh enough to have a landline

The good old days indeed.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    The telegram boy riding upto your house on a bicycle with a telegram.You had to sign for it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Ipads are crap and are for fanboys, get a Google Nexus Tablet far better

Last Online
    01-09-2023 @ 09:02 AM
    A good watch indeed! The world would grind to halt if all the technology; phones , ipads etc stopped working. Hysteria, I reckon . In a lot of ways I wish we didn't have to have this stuff. But then I only say that because I don't understand it all . .

Last Online
    @
    Some nice memories there. Made me smile. I only knew of about half what was on there, though, being from America.

I was in the last class of high school to use a slide rule. My younger brothers never learned. They got calculators.

Gohills flip-flops wearer
    Last Online
    13-04-2024 @ 11:05 PM
    Shit.

I'm too old to have watched all those kids programmes.

If it wasn't for t' carrier pigeons and beacons we woulda known nowt.

Last Online
    @
    I find it odd that people try and hold onto the past and fight technology and that somehow things today are terribly wrong.

I have to hand it to my father. At 77 he is smartphone savy, uses it to check his investments, GPS, sends me messages frequently and follows his sports teams. He does not hate it, he is actually in amazed at what can be done these days.

I appreciate what I grew up with but enjoy what is available today.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickiteboo
    well, going down the phonebox because I didn't want my parents to listen

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    I find it odd that people try and hold onto the past and fight technology and that somehow things today are terribly wrong.
    so you are completely happy to accept all modern technology without qualms or questions?

Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Odd but it's what humans do. Older generation telling younger ones things worked just fine without all those new gadgets.

"Fire!! Who needs it? Man up son. Eat mastodon raw like I did."

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yortyiam
    In a lot of ways I wish we didn't have to have this stuff. But then I only say that because I don't understand it all
    A nice honest statement, My Dad's the same, a bloody dinosaur, he's 70 now and unlike JPPR2's Dad, won't have any of this computer age. The old duffer simply won't listen and doesn't want to learn
    He always used to tell me, when I never rang home for a while " It's Only 10p for a phone call"
    Fortunately being half way around the world, it still is only 10p on those cheap rate international calls thanks to technological advances, although Skype is free.

if everyone was like my Dad, the world would still still be using the Original iPad

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    15-05-2023 @ 10:57 AM
    A good find Moony. Lots of memories in there.

Last Online
    @
    My dad is in his 80's now and is into modern things. He uses his computer to research cars or best price on hardware. He loves Skype because it is free. Got himself a big 3D television. Bought a hybrid car. He resisted it all technological changes until just a few years ago. Don't know what happened that he became interested.

He still has his Members Only jacket in the closet, though. He won't let go of it.

Mom, on the other hand, can't even figure out how to use her cell phone other to answer it.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Many people don't fight technology but question the uses. If they have a use for it they would use new devices. Also the word technology has been hi jacked by the electronics industry to mean toys you hold in your hand and play with on the BTS.

My father , a little older than yours, signed up for Facebook so he could communicate with his grand children ( not mine). He had it set on 'family only" he has now uninstalled it as after 6-8 weeks he was fed up with Nigerians, et al wanting to be his friend. He embraced it at first but now thinks it is what we would call a load of sh1t , what he calls nonsense. He says he has other things to do with his time than attend to it all. He tried to use Skype but for reasons unknown to him or the PC shop where he bought and gets his PC looked at, Skype will not work on his PC.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Odd but it's what humans do. Older generation telling younger ones things worked just fine without all those new gadgets.

"Fire!! Who needs it? Man up son. Eat mastodon raw like I did."
    ^True but I find it interesting how people long for the way it was in the past, some feel it was better(not saying it wasn't in some ways). I enjoy looking back but enjoy what it is out there today and enjoy going forward.

Banned

Last Online
    09-05-2021 @ 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    My father , a little older than yours, signed up for Facebook so he could communicate with his grand children ( not mine). He had it set on 'family only" he has now uninstalled it as after 6-8 weeks he was fed up with Nigerians
    I bet he never called them Nigerians.

They called a spade a spade back in his day

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickiteboo View Post

We had a phone, but weren't posh enough to have outgoing calls. I remember sometimes there would be a queue for the phone box.

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    Skype will not work on his PC
    in what way wont it work ?

Last Online
    03-12-2023 @ 05:37 PM
    Lucky you.

We had 2 tin cans and a long piece of string.

Last Online
    22-02-2018 @ 10:12 PM
    Maybe I am an old fogey but this making a phone call to the person upstairs or in the next room at home rather than going to see them seems a poor waste of money.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    They called a spade a spade back in his day
    Yeah that was when England belonged to the English mate , Christ even I can ,, nearly ,, remember back to then

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by harrry View Post
    Maybe I am an old fogey but this making a phone call to the person upstairs or in the next room at home rather than going to see them seems a poor waste of money.
    Actually has nothing to do with you being an old fogey, it's clearly idiotic and lazy. I see that around here a lot. One downside to smartphones is that people have stopped talking to each other face to face. Social skills are going away. Now in defense of that there are a lot of obnoxious, rude, arrogant people so it is nice to have the option to be able to text them then actually have to listen to them talk.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    Cellphones and later generations of mobile communication devices should be banned. First, I don't like to be exposed to the constant babble of their users everywhere. Secondly, I like privacy and not to be reachable. Now the bloody Iphones are trackable by GPS even when you are not calling, so your whereabouts are always known. Thirdly, I'm retired and would not have to care anymore, but it scares me how they changed the working culture for the worse. People have to be accessible after the usual working hours and on the weekends, and their bosses exploit this by heaping work on them without compensation.

Last Online
    @
    I can no longer be even bothered to type texts any more. Unless I have to of course. It gone from novelty usefulness to downright pain in the arse people displaying a mild form of OCD (ie. replying and reply protocol)

I want a peaceful life. I got a home phone and no network signal where I am (in a valley town) so can't be bothered by regular texts. Folks get used to the fact I only have land line so if they wanna talk they can. Most don't wanna talk :-(

Soon there will be a market for no gadget weekends, (probably already a huge market) nothing modern or convenient at all. No phones, apps, laptops etc etc...See how people cope without their constant facebook and twitter barrages.

Tape recorders were invaluable. Record the music charts off the radio without the presenters voice getting in....was an early form of OCD in a way.

Thread Information