Last Online
    12-11-2021 @ 03:50 PM

Well Water Pump Won't Stop Running

My automatic well water pump's been grinding away for three days now and it's driving me nuts. It can't be the well water level as the water gushes out whenever I use a shower (now very hot - and in this weather My erstwhile trusty sparks seems to have moved on, as they do. Anything I can do? Hit it with a stick?

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    If its running, were is the water going?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-01-2024 @ 01:10 AM
    I have you checked for leaks in the line or pump reservoir?

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    If you have way pressure coming out it is probably your pressure switch. They can be adjusted. The orifice to it may be blocked or you may have an air pocket that needs bleeding out. If you are not handy with these things get someone in who knows about it.

Don't leave it running constantly, you will burn up the impeller and seal. It may be too late.

If your keen try adjusting the pressure switch until it turns of ( with all taps closed)

Be aware that the is 220 volts at the pressure switch contacts. There is a picture of a fellow laying dead next to his pump on here somewhere......
    Fahn Cahn's

Last Online
    @
    Hit it with a hammer. Something is sticking so a good smack with a large hammer should do the job. A few kicks will help, and it all else fails, throwing it down the stairs.

....or get a man in.

Water Pump keeps on running - how to get the water pump to shut off

Water may be running somewhere in the building. Check for a running faucet or fixture indoors, including checking for running toilets. Remember to check outside garden hoses and watering systems. If all fixtures are turned off, make sure that you don't have a burst pipe somewhere. Remember to check heating boilers and water heaters for leaks too.
    The well pump may have lost prime. See WELL PUMP PRIMING PROCEDURE for two methods that almost always work to get a dry well pump going again. Make sure that you have adequately primed the pump and do not let a well pump run dry - you are likely to damage it.
    The pump pressure control switch may be set to a higher pressure than the pump can achieve - this is more likely if someone has been fooling around with the switch. See Water Pressure Adjustment how to adjust the water pressure in a building.
    The well water level may have dropped and the pump is unable to pick up and deliver water in sufficient volume - this is possible if the well piping has a low-water tailpiece installed to protect a submersible pump from burnup. In this design if water level in the well drops too low the tailpiece causes water to re circulate through the pump rather than being sent up the piping to the building served by the well. See these articles: Well Flow Rate, Well Yield, Well Water Quantity: How Much Water is In the Well? Well Flow Rate, Yield Improvement Methods How to Get More Water From a Well without drilling a new well, and see Well Life Expectancy of Wells how long should a water well and its components last?
    The pump may have suffered internal damage to a seal, bearing, or impeller. The motor will keep running but the pump is unable to develop normal pressures. See Life Expectancy of Water Pumps - Well Pumps: how long should a water pump last? What affects pump life?
    The well piping may have a leak. This includes "hidden" leaks such as a leak in the piping inside the well or between the well and the building. If such a leak is present you may observe that water pressure in the system drops when the pump is turned off even though no water is running in the building.
    A leaky foot valve in the well or a hidden running water source in the building such as a running toilet can also cause this symptom. See Repeated Loss of Pump Prime for a discussion of well piping foot valves and the relation to loss of well pump prime.
    A failing well piping low water cutoff control or well tailpiece intended to protect the well pump from damage by a low-flow or poor recovery rate well may have failed or may be needed. See WELL PIPING TAIL PIECE for details.
    The well pump output rate may have exceeded the well's safe flow rate, or a well drawdown cutoff device or tailpiece in the well may have failed (or may be needed and missing). See WATER PUMP TYPES & LIFE EXPECTANCY where we describe these conditions and parts.

This website will help you diagnose what is wrong by the way.

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Easiest way to check for a leak is to turn the valve off at the pump outlet. If the pump cuts out you have a leak.

If the pump is running constantly you must have a major leak though, ie a broken pipe.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung
    The orifice to it may be blocked or you may have an air pocket that needs bleeding out.
    most likely

Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus
    Hit it with a hamme
    a piece of wood is better

Quote Originally Posted by Bung
    turn the valve off at the pump outlet. If the pump cuts out you have a leak. If the pump is running constantly you must have a major leak though, ie a broken pipe.
    worth a try

but switch it OFF otherwise you will damage the pump as it gets too hot

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    If you have way pressure coming out it is probably your pressure switch.

I would say Bung has hit the nail on the head,mine did the same,300 Baht for a new switch,even I could change it

Simple

Last Online
    13-06-2019 @ 10:55 AM
    If you havent got any leaks it sounds as if your presure switch needs adjusting, it may be set too high. just take the cap off and turn the adjuster and see if it stops.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    04-04-2023 @ 10:03 PM
    The Water is Hot because the Pump is constantly running, [ Heat from the Pump + Bearings]

something a Miss? sounds like a pressure regulator problem?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by expattaffy View Post
    If you havent got any leaks it sounds as if your presure switch needs adjusting, it may be set too high. just take the cap off and turn the adjuster and see if it stops.
    Make sure you use an Insulated Electrical Screwdriver or Rubber gloves,as you can get a shock otherwise ( as I found out )

Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    Easiest way to check for a leak is to turn the valve off at the pump outlet. If the pump cuts out you have a leak.

If the pump is running constantly you must have a major leak though, ie a broken pipe.
    I've had problems with this IGOTECH pump before, constantly cutting out and then on again. Had one of Thailand's rare as hen's teeth good electricians round to fix it and no problems for about a year. Just had neighbour's handyman round who says the automatic switch is indeed buggered, he can hear it when he taps it with his screwdriver. The pump isn't at all hot (!?) and there aren't any leaks anywhere. Have yet another number. We shall see ...

Thanks to everyone for their advice

Last Online
    New electrician turned up last evening, prodded something inside the box and hey presto! He told me the spring had stuck (old), and he didn't even want payment! Bunged him a couple hundred anyway, still a fraction of that which former geng sparks charged. So there we are, poke your spring

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    So it was the pressure switch then.More than likely this will happen again,I would buy a new switch ( not sure how much for your model,mine was about 300 baht ) so when it happens again you have the spare already

Last Online
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa View Post
    So it was the pressure switch then.More than likely this will happen again,I would buy a new switch ( not sure how much for your model,mine was about 300 baht ) so when it happens again you have the spare already
    Now take the cover off the switch again and give it a good squirt of WD-40.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa View Post
    Now take the cover off the switch again and give it a good squirt of WD-40.
    Another problem they have is the Valve clogs up with scale from the water.The switch will keep cutting in and out every few minutes or so when this happens .Take the switch off ,turn it upside down and put a spoon-full of Coke or Pepsi into the valve and leave overnight.

Last edited by boloa; 13-03-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: shpelling
    Big Ol' Lucky Ol' Al.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    or vinegar, if you don't do drugs

the biggest problem I have had is with ants deciding the switch is a good place to live

little bastards

I had to spray, clean the contacts and put poison inside the pump to keep them out

Last Online
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    or vinegar, if you don't do drugs

the biggest problem I have had is with ants deciding the switch is a good place to live

little bastards

I had to spray, clean the contacts and put poison inside the pump to keep them out
    Not your old friends Ants Robertson :-)

Thread Information