Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Out there...
    Last Online
    @

Phuket mob surrounds British expat who hit motorcyclist

Phuket NEWS: Phuket mob surrounds British expat who hit motorcycli

Phuket mob surrounds British expat who hit motorcyclist

Phuket Gazette - Monday, March 4, 2013 12:41:18 PM

Police said marks on the road indicated the motorcycle was dragged about 30 meters from the impact point at the entrance to the street. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: A well-known British expat involved in a collision with a motorbike on Friday night had to be extricated from the scene by police after local residents reacted angrily over the incident, the Phuket Gazette has been told.

Police were called to Soi Ngern Fun, which leads into Baan Term Fun housing estate in Baan Manik, Srisoonthorn (map here), at 11:30pm.

“We found Mr Worrachet Ngamthip, 16 years old, at the entrance to the soi. His left leg was broken,” said Thalang Police Sub Lt Niphon Temsang.

Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers rushed Mr Worrachet to Mission Hospital Phuket.

“About 30 meters down the soi, we found Mr Martin Ian Potter, 48 years old, from England. He was standing and swearing in Thai and English,” Sub Lt Niphon explained.

Not far from Mr Potter, we found his white Toyota car and a Honda Wave motorcycle still stuck under the front of the car. There were marks on the road showing the motorcycle was dragged into the street after being hit,” he added.

Witnesses reported to police that Mr Potter was driving at speed when he entered the street.

“They said it seemed like Mr Potter was trying to flee the scene, that was why he tried driving away with the motorcycle still stuck under the front of his car,” Sub Lt Niphon said.

“They were angry at Mr Potter and some of them even tried to hit him, so we had to take Mr Potter to Cherng Talay Police Station in order to continue questioning him over the incident,” he added.

During questioning, Mr Potter spoke confusingly, police said.

“We could smell alcohol on him,” Sub Lt Niphon alleged.

Mr Potter was charged with drunk driving and reckless driving causing damage to a person and property.
    "Slavery is the daughter of darkness; an ignorant people is the blind instrument of its own destruction; ambition and intrigue take advantage of the credulity and inexperience of men who have no political, economic or civil knowledge. They mistake pure illusion for reality, license for freedom, treason for patriotism, vengeance for justice."-Simón Bolívar

R.I.P
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    And of Course the kid was charged with riding without a helmet or Licence !

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    @
    Will they be charging the 'victim' with driving a bike with no helmet?

R.I.P
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    Will they be charging the 'victim' with driving a bike with no helmet?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    A well-known British expat involved in a collision with a motorbike......Mr Martin Ian Potter, 48 years old, from England.
    Never heard of him

Last Online
    02-04-2013 @ 06:58 PM
    The kid's out at 11:30 on a Sunday night riding a modified bike. He's got long hair so he's probably not a student. I wonder if they gave him a drug test. Anyways, if the Brit did drive the 30 meters as they said he's got himself into trouble but in Thailand it's all about cash cash cash so if he's got that he could have killed the kid and the law wouldn't mean squat. It's the Thai way of justice. All for the...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2015 @ 05:42 PM
    The cop was probably smelling alcohol on himself.

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa
    Never heard of him
    It's the guy who owns Andaman Lighting.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    Whilst expats have a go at Thais for there drink driving seems many expats seem to think the laws do not apply to them, so when they get caught and are punished harshly for there crime, many internet warriors wish to defend them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-03-2020 @ 02:26 AM
    That headline is somewhat inflammatory and exaggerated, and judging from the Brits body language in the 4th photo down, he looks like an arrogant asshole. If he had been drinking excessively, he needed to go for a ride with the police.

We frequently read about Thais on the street detaining suspects for the police, there is no indication this had anything to do with his race.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I would not want the driver of this car entering my 'moobaan' at the speed the photos show.

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    If the Brit hit the bike side-on (and it looks like he did) he had to be driving at a pretty good speed based on the damage to his front-end- considering he was heading into a housing estate, that won't help his case.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack View Post
    Whilst expats have a go at Thais for there drink driving seems many expats seem to think the laws do not apply to them, so when they get caught and are punished harshly for there crime, many internet warriors wish to defend them.
    I don't agree. I have seen lots of threads here blasting drunk foreigners for causing accidents - quite correctly.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    Davis if that's true i stand to be corrected.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^I remember a couple of recent ones with fat, obviously drunk out of their minds, foreigners either sitting on the curb or leaning on the wreckage they had caused. They were appropriately blasted. I really don't think foreigners, tourists or 'ex-pats' who act like assholes - and there are lots - get cut any slack. Nor should they.

Last Online
    01-09-2023 @ 09:02 AM
    If the guy's a long time expat , that may explain his attitude towards the incident. Only a youngster on a cheap heap of junk with only a broken leg = not too much of a problem. Very lucky not to have been set upon though , I feel. Bad Falang!!

I am in Jail

Last Online
    I have also seen many posts, claiming harsher penalties for expats and claiming them to be unfair, i see it as if your a visitor to the country, be very careful in your choices of committing crimes.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack View Post
    I have also seen many posts, claiming harsher penalties for expats and claiming them to be unfair, i see it as if your a visitor to the country, be very careful in your choices of committing crimes.
    The 'justice' system is so corrupt that it is hard to say really - I think the rich and influential, regardless of nationality, can often buy their way out where, as is usual in most countries, those without money or influence get shafted.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by yortyiam View Post
    If the guy's a long time expat , that may explain his attitude towards the incident. Only a youngster on a cheap heap of junk with only a broken leg = not too much of a problem. Very lucky not to have been set upon though , I feel. Bad Falang!!
    I also find that many long-term ex-pats are arrogant assholes who belive that the laws apply to everyone but them. Not all, by any means, but I have known more than a few.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    As Bob mentioned, the guy looks very arrogant and aggressive, when dealing with officials in Thailand show respect and the official will not be a asshole.

Never had a problem with police in Thailand and any dealings i have had have turned out Favourable.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    I also find that many long-term ex-pats are arrogant assholes who belive that the laws apply to everyone but them. Not all, by any means, but I have known more than a few.
    I agree DK, but you also have long-term ex-pats like me who are sickened by this behavior.

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    I agree DK, but you also have long-term ex-pats like me who are sickened by this behavior.
    Very true, and I didn't mean for it to sound like as much of a generality as it came out sounding. The assholes are in the minority, unfortunately, an often vocal and visible minority.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    As Bob mentioned, the guy looks very arrogant and aggressive,
    ...or possibly just being assertive, which can be important in such circumstances, especially if the fault lies with the "victim". Nowhere near enough information to have him hung drawn and quartered....

My ex had a couple of young teens come straight out at a junction and hit her pick-up. Crowd came out and fingered her as the culprit, demanding money as compensation for the damage to the bike. Fortunately for her, a policeman in the car behind witnessed the accident and stopped. If they try it on with a Thai from outside the village, just imagine what it's like for a farang. I think I would ask to be breathalysed in such circumstances to show I wasn't under the influence.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Very true, and I didn't mean for it to sound like as much of a generality as it came out sounding. The assholes are in the minority, unfortunately, an often vocal and visible minority.
    Normally, I do not quote.

However, sometimes I can understand why we are called 'falangs.'

Last Online
    02-12-2013 @ 07:32 PM
    Agree with DK.

I've seen lots of expat jerks once or twice then the Thais usually find ways for them to leave for elsewhere.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information