Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online
    @

Tea - for health

I did a search. Nothing found. Although I do recall tea being discussed somewhere on the forum, and perhaps here.

This thread can be for all things related to tea and the health benefits.

Reason for starting this thread: I have been drinking 2 eight oz. glass of Green Tea and 1 eight oz. glass of Black Tea (Earl Grey) for a while now.

In the West tea was available of course but I never made or drank it.

Health: it seems that studies are consistent the Green Tea has numerous health benefits and anti-oxidents, etc.

Black tea apparently has lots of anti-oxidents and health benefits.

Of course I've avoided any and all info from the "tea industry on this.

Both teas taste good (IMO), especially Black Tea.

Is anyone else on this forum drinking tea daily for health benefits?

What other teas do you like? (I've tried some others.)

Here is an article on Black Tea. I am hoping the info is correct - ? It seems ther are just too many benefits to too many different conditions listed. Studies on all of these.

I am skeptical.

9 Health Benefits of Black Tea

Published on July 14, 2011

Over ninety percent of all tea sold in the West is black tea. All four varieties of tea (black, green, oolong, white) are made from leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, but black tea generally has more flavour and caffeine than the others. Because black tea keeps its flavour for several years, it has long been an article of trade and bricks of black tea even served as a form of currency in parts of Asia into the 19th century.

Today, India, China, and Sri Lanka are the world's largest producers of black tea. In the production of black tea, the leaves are first spread out on racks and blown with air to remove about a third of their moisture and make them pliable. Then they are rolled around to break their cell walls and release the sugars necessary for fermentation. To promote fermentation they are kept in a highly humid environment, which turns the leaves dark and develops black tea's strong flavor. Finally, the leaves are dried and shipped off to all corners of the globe. The health benefits of black tea focus on the same areas as the green, oolong, and white variety. Since they all come from the same plant, it's only natural they would have similar benefits.

Cardiovascular Health
    Black tea is abundant in antioxidants, such as flavonoids, demonstrated to prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, preventing damage in both the bloodstream and at artery walls, and lowering the risk of heart disease. Additionally, it has been shown that black tea flavonoids are able to both improve coronary vasodilation and reduce clots. Polypehnols found in black tea are also very strong antioxidants, and the manganese in black tea may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by helping cardiac muscle function.

Cancer Prevention
    Polyphenols in tea seem to help in preventing formation of potential carcinogens in the body, particularly in certain types of cancer, such as ovarian, lung, prostate, colorectal, and bladder. Other studies reveal that black tea may help prevent stomach, prostate, and breast cancer. A compound in black tea called TF-2 causes such cancer cells to go into apoptosis (programmed cell death) while normal cells remain unaffected. One study on oral cancer showed that consuming black tea can significantly reduce the risk of oral cancer, particularly in those who smoke cigarettes and use other tobacco products.

Skin and Hair Health
    The antioxidants in green tea may help keep your skin from being plagued by acne, and in some cases have been demonstrated to function equally as well as the harsher benzoyl peroxide used in so many skin products.
    Bone and Connective Tissue
    Studies indicate that the bones of regular tea drinkers are stronger than those of non-tea drinkers, even when other variables were adjusted for. Scientists theorize it may be an effect of the powerful tea's phytochemicals.

Digestive Tract Health
    The tannins in tea have a therapeutic effect on gastric and intestinal illnesses and make it a great digestive aid, used in China as such for thousands of years. These tannins decrease intestinal activity and exercise an antidiarrheal effect. The polyphenols in green tea have been demonstrated to have an effect on intestinal inflammation suffered by people afflicted with conditions like irritable bowel

syndrome.

Brain and Nervous System
    Unlike high levels of caffeine found in coffee, the low amounts in black tea promote blood flow in the brain without over stimulating the heart. The caffeine in black tea hones mental focus and concentration and studies show that the amino acid L-theanine found in black tea can help you relax and concentrate more fully on tasks. Black tea has been shown to reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol after a month of drinking four cups of tea daily. The caffeine in black tea might also give your memory the boost it needs for a few hours and some studies suggest that a regular tea habit may help protect against Parkinson's disease.

Increased Energy
    In moderation caffeine can be a benefit - in black tea it stimulates the metabolism, increases brain function and aids alertness. The caffeine in tea acts as more of a subtle stimulant, taking more than a few minutes to take effect, rather than hitting your system as quickly as coffee or cola. This effect is assisted by another compound found only in tea, theophylline. While caffeine chiefly targets the brain and muscles, theophylline stimulates the respiratory system, heart and kidneys. This helps maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.

Oral Health
    Research suggests that catechin antioxidants in black tea may reduce oral cancers. Tea's polyphenols and tannin perform as antibiotics, preventing bacteria that cause tooth decay, and the polyphenols in tea can help to keep in check the bacteria that cause bad breath.

Immune System
    Tea is full of substances called "tannins," which studies have shown have the ability to fight viruses such as influenza, dysentery and hepatitis. One such tannin named "catechin" helps suppress tumors. Black tea also contains alkylamine antigens, which help boost immune response.
    Link: 9 Health Benefits of Black Tea

god
    Last Online
    @
    I like a decent cuppa!

There are a lot of benefits in drinking tea, camellia sinensis.

The only negative point in tea drinking is the amount of fluorides various teas contain.

White tea contains the least amount of fluorides, and traditionally is a Chinese prepared tea.

Last Online
    @
    Perfect thread. Time to put the kettle on for a brew

god
    Last Online
    @
    Just on me way to do that.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    I like one or two cups of black tea a day

who cares about the health benefits, I enjoy drinking it

when I am on the island, I stop drinking coffee and drink green tea instead

Last Online
    @
    I like a slash of skimmed cow juice (just a dribble) in my tea I'm sorry to say. Even in iced tea I get all Hong Kong and have iced milk tea. But green tea to get your brain working, nothing beats it.

Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    Last Online
    @
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Lipton's peach iced tea is frikking delicious. Don't know about any health benefits though.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    there are certainly financial benefits to Liptons

En route
    Last Online
    24-02-2024 @ 04:47 PM
    For a drink on the go fro the shop, instead of soda (coke or whatever) I get a chilled milk tea or green tea.
    At home, nothing like a good cuppa.
    Splash of milk, no sugar or black with a slice of lemon and two sugars. Either way, strong.
    You can keep your Chinese green tea generaly, though ulong tea is OK.
    “If we stop testing right now we’d have very few cases, if any.” Donald J Trump.

Sprayed On Member
    Last Online
    @
    I drink mine to British Standard Specifications. At least one cuppa a day.

En route
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fresh Prince View Post
    I drink mine to British Standard Specs
    Which are?
    White with 2 ?

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    All these teas also have caffeine and theanine, which affect the brain and seem to heighten mental alertness.

The more processed the tea leaves, usually the less polyphenol content.
    Here's what some studies have found about the potential health benefits of tea:

Green tea: Made with steamed tea leaves, it has a high concentration of EGCG and has been widely studied. Green tea’s antioxidants may interfere with the growth of bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic, and colorectal cancers; prevent clogging of the arteries, burn fat, counteract oxidative stress on the brain, reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, reduce risk of stroke, and improve cholesterol levels.

Black tea: Made with fermented tea leaves, black tea has the highest caffeine content and forms the basis for flavored teas like chai, along with some instant teas. Studies have shown that black tea may protect lungs from damage caused by exposure to cigarette smoke. It also may reduce the risk of stroke.

White tea: Uncured and unfermented. One study showed that white tea has the most potent anticancer properties compared to more processed teas.
    Oolong tea: In an animal study, those given antioxidants from oolong tea were found to have lower bad cholesterol levels. One variety of oolong, Wuyi, is heavily marketed as a weight loss supplement, but science hasn’t backed the claims.

Pu-erh tea: Made from fermented and aged leaves. Considered a black tea, its leaves are pressed into cakes. One animal study showed that animals given pu-erh had less weight gain and reduced LDL cholesterol.
    I like all kinds of tea , straight is the only way as always, no milk.
    I tried got some Red tea that was poor , but might just have been the brand -
    But on the downside tea does make me piss a lot.
    Its said that the industrial revolution happened in Britain because that was the only place in Europe where a dense populations could exist as tea helped clean water .

And today much depends on the water used

Sprayed On Member
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    White with 2 ?
    Correct. I have gone a bit healthier with one white and brown sugar.

En route
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    All these teas also have caffeine and theanine, which affect the brain and seem to heighten mental alertness.

The more processed the tea leaves, usually the less polyphenol content.
    Here's what some studies have found about the potential health benefits of tea:

Green tea: Made with steamed tea leaves, it has a high concentration of EGCG and has been widely studied. Green tea’s antioxidants may interfere with the growth of bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic, and colorectal cancers; prevent clogging of the arteries, burn fat, counteract oxidative stress on the brain, reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, reduce risk of stroke, and improve cholesterol levels.

Black tea: Made with fermented tea leaves, black tea has the highest caffeine content and forms the basis for flavored teas like chai, along with some instant teas. Studies have shown that black tea may protect lungs from damage caused by exposure to cigarette smoke. It also may reduce the risk of stroke.

White tea: Uncured and unfermented. One study showed that white tea has the most potent anticancer properties compared to more processed teas.
    Oolong tea: In an animal study, those given antioxidants from oolong tea were found to have lower bad cholesterol levels. One variety of oolong, Wuyi, is heavily marketed as a weight loss supplement, but science hasn’t backed the claims.

Pu-erh tea: Made from fermented and aged leaves. Considered a black tea, its leaves are pressed into cakes. One animal study showed that animals given pu-erh had less weight gain and reduced LDL cholesterol.
    I like all kinds of tea , straight is the only way as always, no milk.
    I tried got some Red tea that was poor , but might just have been the brand -
    But on the downside tea does make me piss a lot.
    Its said that the industrial revolution happened in Britain because that was the only place in Europe where a dense populations could exist as tea helped clean water .

And today much depends on the water used
    Did you know that tea is a (relatively) new addition to English culture.
    Coffee was the fashion drink in the london coffee houses of the day before being suplanted by tea.

Last Online
    @
    I like black tea with milk. I used to like green tea but I got bored with it. I don't care that it has anti oxidants.

Molecular Mixup
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    true coffe is older in uk but tea drove the industrial revolution
    Did tea and beer make Britain great?

I tend to drink this brand

Last Online
    @
    I hate Yorkshire tea. It has to be one of the worst teas available in Britian.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    I drink green tea with Asian meals; it is supposed to help digestion, especially with greasy foods such as duck.

I drink black tea with breakfast, for 11's and after work. Strong in the morning, weaker in the afternoon.

I'm sure there was an old wives tale about tea being good for ladies who wish to become pregnant but can't find it anywhere.....

Last Online
    @
    Try Thai duck. It isn't greasy. It's lean.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    I have drank green tea for many years now

Yes first went there for health reasons but kind of stuck on it as I like tea!
    I take tea without sugar and very strong.

Tea meaning exactly that not a hot cup of milk pilled with suger

I am in Jail

Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Don,t matter where the fucking Duck lives mate it will be full of Fat!

quake, quake!

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesend Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Don,t matter where the fucking Duck lives mate it will be full of Fat!

quake, quake!
    Obviously you have never eaten Thai duck.

quake, quake? Is there an earthquake where you are? Or do Gravesend ducks quack with a funny accent?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna
    A non greasy duck? That would be a chicken mate....

Last Online
    13-08-2013 @ 04:46 AM
    I have started drinking two cups a day of green tea. Not sure about white tea.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I drink green tea with Asian meals; it is supposed to help digestion, especially with greasy foods such as duck.
    Yes, warm tea helps keep the grease liquidity and better to digest.

Lot of tea drinkers here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information