Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    31-10-2021 @ 03:34 AM

How to make a mini aquarium

Sounds more like a recipe for fish and snail shit hooch.

This tiny tank is its own complete ecosystem: it doesn't need a filter or frequent cleaning.

1. Prepare the tank

Take a jar with a lid and poke an air hole in the cover. Cover the bottom with big and small stones to grow beneficial, faeces-degrading bacteria and give shy fish a place to hide.

2. Pour in the water

Add water. If you're using chlorinated tap water, let it sit a while until the fumes evaporate. Once a month replace half the water and wipe off algae as needed.

3. Plant a few weeds

Live aquatic greenery keeps the water oxygenated, and it also uses the nutrients extracted from fish faeces. One sprig will be enough for such a small space.

4. Release the fish

Choose breeds that grow no longer than 4cm. Minnows are hardy, but guppies, neon tetras or zebra danios work well too. Two or three are plenty. Even one will be quite happy.

5. Add some snails

Snails keep the tank clean by eating algae. Pet shops often have them in their tanks -- ask the staff to throw in a few with a plant for free, the smaller the better (5mm, tops).

6. Feed your new friends
    Be sparing. A small tub of goldfish food flakes will last several months. Dip the wet end of a toothpick into the fish food and swish it in the tank until the bits float off.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Last Online
    @
    I might do it with a large jar I have. I might replace the stones with spices though. The water with Malt Vinegar. The Fish with Eggs. And then occasionally dip a cocktail stick in and get me-self a tasty snack.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    reread your 3 ingredients, then think, would I really want to drink that? I had the same thought, but could not come up with three things drinkable. I reckon beer, whiskey, rum might not be bad. The ultimate boiler maker. Or Mexican beer, Tequila, then Metzcal with the worm.

Funny Neo the kids biology teacher is asking kids to give the same thing a go and display the results. I may give it a go.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Forget the jar. Turn a Mac into something useful

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Jaysus, Neo, awesome thread bro, I never thought how to do this before. You da man.

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Funny Neo the kids biology teacher is asking kids to give the same thing a go and display the results. I may give it a go.
    Yeah it's totally the sort of thing you'd encourage your kids to do,
    but sounds like a recipie for disaster, like a 'tough love' approach to the fragility of life.

"you see what happened there?"
    "yup, you killed them"
    "If you stop crying I'll buy you a hamster"

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Fluffy the rabbit died a couple of days into his stay here, as did the hamster, dont know his/her name, they know tough love, and right where they are buried.

Gohills flip-flops wearer
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    Fluffy the rabbit died a couple of days into his stay here, as did the hamster
    This thread has made me weep.

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    Time to change the bandages then

Thread Information