Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    R.I.P.
    Last Online
    23-07-2020 @ 06:41 AM
    Location: Location: Three sausages went to the station, and wound up at immigration!

Thailand v Japan

Hello everyone

Having spent a lot of time in Japan , I was in Thailand from 2004-08, before going back and spending a few years in Oz for the first time in many years, then returning to Japan 2 years ago.

Firstly, things have changed here. The days of getting well payed jobs thrown at you left right and center are gone.

I have semi-decent jobs now, and make a fairly good wage compared to many Japanese.

That said, I am now at a cross road and contemplating a return to Thailand.

I told myself I would never live in Los again when I left, but now, in hindsight , perhaps Thailand offers me things that Japan does not, and relocating is worth a thought.

Here are a few comparisons...

Thai people smile - it may be superficial , but try smiling to a stranger in public in Japan ! People think you are loony or have sinister intentions.

The weather - its winter here in Nippon and living in the city is just no fun. Too cold to go outside ....crowded trains full of people coughing and sniffing that are either too hot because you have thick layers of clothing on and the heater is blaring which along with body heat fills the train with condensation and sweat , or too cold because the doors are open and there is a wait before moving on to the next station.... And the summers here are like being in an oven .... Spring and autumn are lovely, but seem to only last a matter of weeks.

Cheap fruit, som tam and other tropical delights. I probably prefer Japanese food overall, but I do miss the ease of having a fruit gender drive by, or the somtam lady out front of my building.

Accommodation. . Thailand offers nice condos with all of the amenities and even maid service if you want your light bulbs polished once a week. I'm in Tokyo , and although I live in a great area, unless you pay through the teeth, apartments are small and cramped and are often cold in the winter and hot in the summer due to a bizarre building tradition of using cheap material and not installing insulation.

Visas in Japan are no hassle of you pay your taxes. After getting a job, you will get a one year visa that is possible to extend for another 5 years after that with ease. After 8 years straight, you can apply for residency. Thailand still makes visas a major hassle. This is one of the main points that puts me off relocating to Thailand.

Health care in Japan is great and a visit to the doctor only cost 150 baht if you pay a monthly fee of about 1000 baht , depending on your wage. I was lucky enough not to have to visit the doctors in my four years in Thailand , but I am under the impression that although doctor visits are cheap, unless you have insurance a stay in the hospital can be expensive.

Infrustructure : Japan has arguably the best road and public transport system in the world , but owning a car here ( although they are cheap to buy) can be costly, and often trains are faster due to traffic . BKK is a different place since the construction of the BTS and has cheap taxis -which are usually fine to ride in - unless you get a driver crazed on yabaa. Tokyo taxis are modern and super clean driven by polite white gloved drivers who will punch your destination into a GPS ....but they can be a little pricey if you are traveling far. The streets are so clean here you would not think of throwing a bottle top on the ground as it would stand out like dogs balls. BKK streets are not so bad, but the lack of footpaths and sudden pot holes can make walking a hassle.

Safety : Japan has to be the safest place in the world. There are countless stories of people losing wallets , watches or other valuables and getting them back by going down to the local police box and reporting it then getting a note in the mail a few days later asking you to come and pick up whatever you have lost, as some good citizen found it and handed it in. Although I had no bad experience in Thailand you have to keep your wits about you and beware of theives and scammers. ..... Actually, I just remembered .... I was ripped off about 10,000 from one of the dodgy staff during the 6 months I lived in a building in the 'bad part' of thonglor .....down by the Klong on thonglor soi 25. JT tower?

Lifestyle : now this is where I feel Thailand has the edge. Living in a condo with all of the amenities is a far cry from living in a Tokyo shoe box and having to travel to a gym that is expensive with all kinds of silly rules and an atmosphere that can even be described as stressful. I have a very small tattoo on my back and have been kicked out of a couple of gyms as you are immediately put into the same basket as a yakuza member. The gym I am in now I have to hide my tattoo as I lied when I filled out the membership form and said I was ink free. Bangkok is the same as Tokyo and has a few nice parks where you can have a picnic and drink in public ( unlike the west) but Thailand offers beaches all year round that are easily accessible. Parks here in Tokyo can only be used during certain months due the extreme weather .....but you just can't beat having a pool and gym at your place of residence to help you unwind ... Something only the very rich can afford in Tokyo.

People in general: Thais are more friendly. They smile a lot and always enjoy a laugh. Yes, sometimes you have to be wary of what they are thinking behind that smile, but Atleast they smile. The same as Thailand - there is the 'us and them' mentality but Japan has improved a lot in that way. Japanese are all very educated and sophisticated people ( well most) it seems like every second person you meet is an engineer and sophisticated conversation and mannerisms are the norm ... That said, many Japanese are very uptight and stressed. Many virtually live to work for all of their lives. Slaves to the company and only managing breaks from work no longer than four days ..... There is even a word in the vocabulary for death from overwork as it is so common. Thais sleep a lot - and so do Japanese , but it's not uncommon to see Japanese company employees sleeping in public due to pure exhaustion - where as Thais nap just because they like sleeping.

Going out on the town: Thailand offers lots of great restaurants with good cheap food with nice atmospheres. Plenty of western style pubs - though a pint of guinness is probably cheaper in Tokyo ! And of course the red light districts where you never have to be alone ... Japan is riddled with lots of stylish bars and restaurants as well as many good cheap eating establishments with warm atmospheres. Tokyo has red light districts too but generally too expensive and you never really know what they have on offer...

And last but not least!

Women: I must say that I probably prefer Japanese women. They are sophisticated, feminine and often very kinky. During my stay in Thailand I actually had a couple of short relationships with Japanese girls, and must be the only white guy to have lived in Thailand and not had a Thai girlfriend ! Perhaps somebody else can give me some pros and cons of Thai girls.

Thoughts?

P.S: I typed this out in my iPhone that has a smashed screen, which makes it hard to read over what I have typed before I post this. Apologies in advance for any mistakes .... I will check it out from my computer when I get home and make any adjustments if need be....

I am hoping for some insights from posters who have experienced both countries or have a deeper insight to Thailand than I do.

It's freezing cold here today. Brass monkey stuff. I have had to commute 4 hours to and from work....... Thailand feels very appealing today 。。
    Last edited by Wally Dorian Raffles; 08-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Last Online
    @
    Can't find anything in your post I disagree with Wally. Not really sure what sort of feedback your looking for though.

Last Online
    @
    I will say this ... If you're planning to live out your days and settle down with either a Japanese woman or a Thai ... I'd vote you go JN.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Location: Location: Three sausages went to the station, and wound up at immigration!
    Wow! long time no chat storekeeper! hope you are well!

If you're planning to live out your days and settle down with either a Japanese woman or a Thai ... I'd vote you go JN.
    I could not agree more! - but spending my life here is not something i am sure i want to do. This country is going down, and talk is things will just get worse..

Living in Thailand with a Japanese wife sounds ideal .....best of both worlds so to speak..

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Why the comparatives?

One has nothing to do with the other.
    With the exception that a balanced point might be attempted.

Curious and amusing, perhaps.
    But not significant.

Subliminal superlatives is the truer ends.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dorian Raffles
    the ease of having a fruit gender drive by
    I am still trying to work that one out

Perhaps somebody else can give me some pros and cons of Thai girls.
    well, there are quite a few pros, and the cons may well be the same girls

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    Why the comparatives?

One has nothing to do with the other.
    I guess I am just thinking out aloud.

Being the only countries I have lived in for lengthy periods besides my home country, I can't help but compare them both.

Truth is, my relationship is not all peaches and cream at the moment, and sometimes I feel like jumping on a plane and moving back to tropical Thailand ..

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Wally- I think the best option is to find a way divide one's time between the two, with occasional tourist trips home (to Aussie, to FL, wherever) for a true reality check. I'm sure you've noticed the way the seasons in Japan and Thailand compliment each other so nicely- trade the bitter cold of Tokyo in December-February for the Thai cool season, and ditch the awful dry Siamese heat of March-May for the glorious Japanese springtime (and then get tf out of Tokyo again in June). Also, after a few months of "mai pen rai" it is refreshing to return to "Ganbarimasu!" and people falling all over themselves to provide good service without ever thrusting an open palm in your direction. . .and when the anal retentive Japanese with their rictus grins get to be too much it's back to Thailand for toothy "who gives a shit" smiles and tropical slackitude.

By the way, mate- drive-by "fruit gender"? That a Freudian slip or what? I think I get it but
    “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” Dorothy Parker

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Just do it mate. If Thailand doesn't work out, Japan won't have moved anyway...

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Without either a good plan or a large amount of fall-back savings Thailand can be a very difficult place extricate oneself from if things go wrong. Farangs who fall in Thailand generally fall harder than those who do so in Japan (although Japan is nowhere as cushy as it once was, as Wally notes).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Where one lives had fuck all to do with anything (unless you live in Aus and don't like to shag dickless blokes). It's all about finding 'the one'.

If you think 'the one' will be petite, educated and has a flat arse and bed teeth, then stay in Japan.

If you want someone who is hardworking, honest, dirty and lights up every room she walks into, then you can fuck off, 'cos she's mine,

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Why, Marmite, you're a romantic!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post
    Why, Marmite, you're a romantic!
    Hum, yes. Sorry about that.

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post
    Wally- I think the best option is to find a way divide one's time between the two, with occasional tourist trips home (to Aussie, to FL, wherever) for a true reality check. I'm sure you've noticed the way the seasons in Japan and Thailand compliment each other so nicely- trade the bitter cold of Tokyo in December-February for the Thai cool season, and ditch the awful dry Siamese heat of March-May for the glorious Japanese springtime (and then get tf out of Tokyo again in June). Also, after a few months of "mai pen rai" it is refreshing to return to "Ganbarimasu!" and people falling all over themselves to provide good service without ever thrusting an open palm in your direction. . .and when the anal retentive Japanese with their rictus grins get to be too much it's back to Thailand for toothy "who gives a shit" smiles and tropical slackitude.

sh:
    Hi Rob! Genki kaa???
    Yep! The ideal scenario is to be able to move back and forward between here and Los. I know quite a few people who do that who live good lives. Personally, I'm not in the situation to be able to do that right now, but it may be possible in the future! ....

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Where one lives had fuck all to do with anything (unless you live in Aus and don't like to shag dickless blokes). It's all about finding 'the one'.

If you think 'the one' will be petite, educated and has a flat arse and bed teeth, then stay in Japan.

If you want someone who is hardworking, honest, dirty and lights up every room she walks into, then you can fuck off, 'cos she's mine,
    Haha! Hello mate ... Hope you are well!

Sounds like you are still loving life with your midget and I'm happy for you!

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    Just do it mate. If Thailand doesn't work out, Japan won't have moved anyway...
    Uprooting after spending 2 years reestablshing myself would be a big move .... Apartment 'key money' is expensive and getting good jobs and visas, etc. takes time.

Leaving here again at my age would probably mean I would not come back to live here.... So I'm really trying to figure out if leaving here and setting up in Los again really is the wisest thing for me to do ...... Things are actually pretty good for me compared to some other foreigners, but do I really want to spend the rest of my life here? Hmmm...

Then , of course, there is the talk of 'the big one' (earthquake ) that they say is bound to hit Tokyo sooner rather than later...

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    31-10-2021 @ 03:34 AM
    TBH I know jack about Japan, but.. don't they have a nice sunny part you can move to, near a beach, kinky nips on tap...? I guess if living in a city is your thing then your options are limited, but maybe a change in priorities would give you more options. Anyway like I say don't know much about Japan, but thought I'd chime in with my few pence worth. It's easy I know to be philisophical and say 'life is what you make it' ... 'happiness is a cigar called Hamlet' and other such reasons why you should just put up with it, but I do know that there's nothing worse than a shit climate to make you say ram your existential bullshit I'm outa here..!

well, keep us posted and all that
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Hi Neo, and cheers!
    Japan has beach towns, but anywhere outside the main cities lack in young women - they all head to the cities to go to university, or relocate to the big cities after graduating. Anywhere outside the big cities are basically geriatric towns, with nothing on offer fun wise...
    Okinawa is the closest thing you can get to the tropics, but it's very different from mainland Japan and being a whitey you are susceptible to being mistaken for being with the american military ...... Which many locals resent the presence of..

So are most of you long term Thai expats happy you made the move there? ........

Last Online
    @
    Cheers to you as well Wally. Been a long while.

All told I guess I have about 10 years living in Japan compared to 3 years in Thailand as well as a JN ex-wife.

Tough call man. I'm struggling to think of anything to sell you one over the other. I guess it comes down to which flavor of poontang you prefer. Sounds like you favor JN.

Excitable Boy
    Last Online
    @
    I spent eight years in Tokyo but I always knew I'd leave someday- I've been in LOS over a decade and I'll probably croak here- I had a great time in Japan, but it never felt as much like 'home' as Thailand- granted, my living and working situation is much different, but I don't think I would want to live in 'The Big Mikan' again.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    31-10-2021 @ 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dorian Raffles View Post
    So are most of you long term Thai expats happy you made the move there? ........
    I may have once viewed Thailand as a long term proposition, but no I just spent ten glorious years of on off debauchery there. Now back in the UK I've got a hot Eastern European 15 years my junior and a life on the farm out there on the horizon.
    Priorities change over time that's for sure.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    So are most of you long term Thai expats happy you made the move there?
    To me, you've always seemed more at home with the Japanese thing rather than the Thai thing, so maybe you should stay where you are and hope Tokyo doesn't fall on your head?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Wally if you do move back here you can count on me for all the help you need. But unless you bring a Japanese bird with you go for a wonderful Thai woman. Perhaps I can help with that as well. You did stop aging like 5 years ago when you left right? Still 35 right?

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dorian Raffles View Post
    I may have once viewed Thailand as a long term proposition, but no I just spent ten glorious years of on off debauchery there. Now back in the UK I've got a hot Eastern European 15 years my junior and a life on the farm out there on the horizon.
    Priorities change over time that's for sure.

I think marmite was spot on in his usual straight forward manner when he said..

Although, you don't have be shagging a 'dickless bloke' which i am pretty sure he is referring to aussie women, and not post-op aussie ladyboys

There are many asian giirls in aussie - and a lot of them are japanese ...... who want to stay in OZ and get desperate when their visas run out and scramble for somebody to marry .......i had a couple clinging on to me when i was last there, but did not like living there, but perhaps that is because i was in cairns where my parents were, and found it a small boring town...

hmmmmm.......

Oh, and you guys don't know about fruit genders? .... i thought everybody knew manoesteens were female..

R.I.P.
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    So are most of you long term Thai expats happy you made the move there?
    To me, you've always seemed more at home with the Japanese thing rather than the Thai thing, so maybe you should stay where you are and hope Tokyo doesn't fall on your head?
    Yeah, that's true mate. But maybe it because i was missing a certain girl who is no longer in my life more than japan itself, and never gave thailand a real chance ...... shit! i think i learned about 5 thai words when i was there! . toilet duck, bum gun, ...and the rest i forget..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information