Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM

Koh Samui Taxi Mafia

Been on Samui for the last week. I cannot believe the prices the Taxis charge. A quick trip from Chaweng to Lamai and the guy wanted 500 baht.

He finally settle for 400 baht, but I still thought that was too much.

The baht buses have to be very carefull when picking up falongs, because the Taxi drivers get pissed if the baht buses take them to any popular destinations.

Generally they are only good for short up and down the beach trips.

I took a motorcycle taxi from the ferry to Chaweng, but even that was 300 baht. Lots of fun, except that I lost my cell phone (it was a cheapy with only 200 baht of service left).

I have to say, I am really disappointed in Koh Samui as far as the price of everything. They have turned every worthwile destination into a very expensive tourist trap.

It's a shame, I might like to live here except for the inflated prices.

Tomorrow I hit the west coast and perhaps it is more baht friendly.

Regards to all,

RickThai

I am in Jail

Last Online
    31-10-2014 @ 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai
    They have turned every worthwile destination into a very expensive tourist trap.
    Yep, another picturesque shithole to avoid because of the local thai scum

Last Online
    26-11-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Never been and never had the desire to go - Kho Samet was bad enough

Last Online
    12-05-2020 @ 12:15 AM
    liked samui 1999,2000, lamai especially, dont think i want to go back now.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I lived on Samui For 2 years and I go back once a month to see friends and pick up some farang food essentials.
    As for taxis, I rarely use them, but if I must then I just keep going down the line until I find one prepared to be reasonable. Failing that a song tauew or motor bike taxi.
    If I am staying a few days I will rent a bike for 150 a day.

Can't remember the last time I was in Chaweng. Overpriced and over hyped.

West and south side is nice try Ban Taling Ngam. Head for the beaches in Maenam or if you want a safe bay go to Cheong Mon between Bangrak and Chaweng.

Angus, a member on here runs Samui Reef View resort in the foothills just outside Lamai. He has an ad banner on the site.
    Heart of Gold and a Knob of butter.

Last Online
    22-10-2021 @ 12:15 PM
    I went to Samui in 1986 for the first time. Of course it changed a lot, but I still love it. I try to avoid using taxis though... Where ever you go you'll find people trying to cheat you, not only in Samui/Thailand.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    31-10-2014 @ 08:22 AM
    ^ Yes there are many other places to avoid also

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-09-2023 @ 06:11 PM
    Was on samui in august,love the place,but yeah the tuk tuks can be dodgy.Got one from Bophut back to Chaweng one day and half way there we stopped and I was told to hop out and get into the tuk tuk parked in front of us and to pay both drivers half the fare each.Must have some fare/share arrangement going on.More of a laugh than a bother.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I've never been to Phuket or Samui.. looks too much like Costa Del Shithole in europe

Loads of nice beach places to escape all that kind of crap.

I recommend Koh Lipe, in deepest south Thailand. Not very touristy at the moment

Banned
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    This is the future of anywhere touristy in Thailand, where Whites are in numbers, the thieving Thai scum will multiply to run it into the sewer.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    20-11-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    I had to change hotels when I was staying in Lamai once so waited on the Beach Rd with my suitcase while my bird used the ladies. It wasn't very far, just a bit too far to carry my suitcase with my hangover.

The first taxi driver quoted me 200 baht for a 100 yd journey to the next hotel, I phoned my companion and explained the situation, when she returned from her trip to the lavatory she pretended not to be with me, got in the cab and told him the hotel she was going to and he agreed to go off the meter. I put my suitcase in the back, shut the door, waved and walked there, because of the traffic it took them longer to get there than me and I paid the 35 baht to the driver through the window.

He was fuming, the girl I was with sided with me as well and politely gave him a piece of her mind.

Johnny Falang one Taxi Mafia nil.

Last Online
    01-09-2023 @ 09:02 AM
    Good on ya Sil ! Got a puncture in Lamai, and needed to get to a bar just outside Chaweng. Thai girl in tow , we got into a songtheaw and my girl wasn't happy with the " Falang" pricing either. Good for her! Was a bit taken aback by her rollicking the driver.

Banned
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by crocman View Post
    Was on samui in august,love the place,but yeah the tuk tuks can be dodgy.Got one from Bophut back to Chaweng one day and half way there we stopped and I was told to hop out and get into the tuk tuk parked in front of us and to pay both drivers half the fare each.Must have some fare/share arrangement going on.More of a laugh than a bother.
    I saw them do that to a Thai as well. Apparently where the individual songtao's can operate is controlled by a higher power. I saw one poor driver have to turn down a full load of people because he couldn't drive into the next turf.

Too bad.

Still the west coast looks real livable. Not many falong and no tourists to speak of. Maybe next trip.

Banned
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLeakHunt View Post
    I had to change hotels when I was staying in Lamai once so waited on the Beach Rd with my suitcase while my bird used the ladies. It wasn't very far, just a bit too far to carry my suitcase with my hangover.

The first taxi driver quoted me 200 baht for a 100 yd journey to the next hotel, I phoned my companion and explained the situation, when she returned from her trip to the lavatory she pretended not to be with me, got in the cab and told him the hotel she was going to and he agreed to go off the meter. I put my suitcase in the back, shut the door, waved and walked there, because of the traffic it took them longer to get there than me and I paid the 35 baht to the driver through the window.

He was fuming, the girl I was with sided with me as well and politely gave him a piece of her mind.

Johnny Falang one Taxi Mafia nil.
    For the little victories we weep with joy.

Landed in Sarat Thani this morning an a horde of song tao wanted 400 baht to go to the 100 Islands Hotel (accross from Lotus-Tesco) near the PhinPhun intersection.

I said no way and started to walk. My wife doesn't tolerate the heat very well (she Thai - go figure) and was pressuring me to get some transportation. Finally I agreed to 150 baht for the two of us. We still paid probably 75 baht too much.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^Be interested in your opinion of 100 Islands. It's a potential stop off point for a cycle trip I'm planning.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Off to Samui in the morning. Won't be using taxis.

Cacoethes scribendi
    Last Online
    15-06-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    I was last on Samui in 2009. The complex double pricing system means that it was cheaper to go from Boput to Chaweng and back, with your 'Current squeeze', than for you to go half that distance with out her. Attempting to walk anywhere, for more than 50 yards, brought a steady stream of bikes, songtau's and taxis who were more than happy to offer advice. For short hops, i ended up walking along the beach, before I had the wits to rent a bike. Usually the one that had a slow puncture already.

Banned
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    ^Be interested in your opinion of 100 Islands. It's a potential stop off point for a cycle trip I'm planning.
    It's a pretty neat hotel for the price. It's like staying in a museum (with AC though). The garden is pretty as is the pool, but I wouldn't want to actually swim in it.

The rooms are nice and old fashioned. My only complaint is that they leave the un-occupied rooms' doors open and you wind up with a few moz in your room. Not really a big deal, but a small minor.

It is right across from the Tesco-Lotus so that is pretty handy for grabbing some food and what not.

I actually saw a couple of BMW motorcycles in the parking lot the other morning. Could that have been you?

RickThai

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Cheers Rick. I would be on a cycle. I live about 70km south west of there.

PS what put you off about the pool? That would be one of the attractions after 70km in the saddle.

Banned
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui View Post
    Cheers Rick. I would be on a cycle. I live about 70km south west of there.

PS what put you off about the pool? That would be one of the attractions after 70km in the saddle.
    Hello,

The pool had a lot of leaves and such. Also the tiling seemed to be in pretty bad shape. The missus asked the caretaker and he said people swam in it, but I was a little leery.

Still I could smell the chorine so it would probably be allright. Just a little too "jungly" looking for me.

I envy you on your ride. I was in Pruachupa KK this AM and talked briefly to a guy who was tinkering with any older motorcycle (Triumph, I think). Him and his lady were doing a bike tour. That is a fantastic area to ride.

God speed and enjoy your trip.

RickThai

I am in Jail

Last Online
    15-10-2015 @ 09:55 PM
    why pay 400 baht for a taxi when a motorbike only costs 150 baht for a day? some tourists deserved to be ripped off

Samui is full of euro trash so of course the locals are going to try and rip people off

shit thai food around the tourist areas but the euro trash don't know any better

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    14-10-2022 @ 11:11 AM
    You mean the Ruski's

Pattaya is full of them, I Thailand wil be F-cked soon

Banned
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by waradmiral View Post
    why pay 400 baht for a taxi when a motorbike only costs 150 baht for a day? some tourists deserved to be ripped off

Samui is full of euro trash so of course the locals are going to try and rip people off

shit thai food around the tourist areas but the euro trash don't know any better
    My wife doesn't like to ride on the back of a motorbike, and believe it or not, tourists often get ripped off big time, if they put a scatch on some old beater of a motorbike. I rather pay 400 baht, than several thousand dollars US because of motorbike damage (either real or imagined).

My solution is NEVER to go back to Koh Samui. Simple and totally effective.

As regards to euro trash, I don't think its confined to Europe. Australia, USA, and of course Russia, Chinese, and Mid-easterns all contribute to the sleeze.

I can't believe how decrepit some of those old whoremongers are. Wrinkled up like old prunes, almost toothless except for a few rotten molars. Ugh, I feel sorry for the bargirls who have to service those old punters. I can't imagine how bad their breath must smell after a night of drinking Leo! Not to mention how many incurable STDs they have probably picked up after decades of whoring.

Yuck!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Yikes. What do tourists see in this stuff?

I am in Jail

Last Online
    15-10-2015 @ 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waradmiral View Post

My wife doesn't like to ride on the back of a motorbike, and believe it or not, tourists often get ripped off big time, if they put a scatch on some old beater of a motorbike. I rather pay 400 baht, than several thousand dollars US because of motorbike damage (either real or imagined).

My solution is NEVER to go back to Koh Samui. Simple and totally effective.

As regards to euro trash, I don't think its confined to Europe. Australia, USA, and of course Russia, Chinese, and Mid-easterns all contribute to the sleeze.

I can't believe how decrepit some of those old whoremongers are. Wrinkled up like old prunes, almost toothless except for a few rotten molars. Ugh, I feel sorry for the bargirls who have to service those old punters. I can't imagine how bad their breath must smell after a night of drinking Leo! Not to mention how many incurable STDs they have probably picked up after decades of whoring.

Yuck!
    I hire motorbikes every year and never get ripped off. Only real dumb tourists get ripped off. Most don't. You don't even need to hand over your passport which some do.

2 bikes cost 300 baht a day or less if you hire for longer.

Try Chang, Lanta, Krabi if you want something less sleazy/mega touristy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information