R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Bangsaen - The food Market

The food market in Bangsaen is on Sukhumvit Road as you drive through, about 5km from Chonburi heading towards Pattaya, now this is famous for it's dried seafood and Thai sweets, I have to admit I have never eaten Thai sweets, (or Kannom as they call it) Now if it was made by Mr Kipling I would be there a couple of times per week, but stuff cooked in lumps of bamboo or slowly heated up in banana leaves? nope that aint for me, insects and other animals have urinated and poo pooed on them, then the containers have been washed in some dirty water and they expect me to eat out of them.....

Anyway as I was going there my girlfriend demanded that I buy her some KhanomJark, I have no idea what this is but it comes in banana leaves, 3 packs came to 50baht, also the seller is looking for a farang husband, but as she was on the large and old side I really cant recommend her.

This is Khanom Jark whatever that maybe, where the hell was Mr Kipling?

This is gunge that is slowly cooked in bamboo.

I have to admit I didn't see any flies hanging around so this stuff must be really evil.

Of course being next to Ang Sila the fishing village they had loads of Seafood.

These big long beasty fish were 250baht each, no idea what sort of fish they are though

^ notice the gunge or congealed blood in the bottom of the bags? hell maybe it is marinade.

The dried seafood they had everything you could think of, yep every sea animal that you can think of they had dried body parts of it.

They also had loads more Thai Sweets, these ones in plastic bags, so either they go stale quick or flies really like them

They must have had 10 of these cake stalls, hell the cakes even look good to me, but nope I just aint adventorous to try them.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    aroi maaaaaaak

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Yes, you really should try and get into some of the local specials, DD.

Everything you showed here is perfectly delicious, I can vouch for them all.
    Even that big fish is nice to eat but does stink the place out.

Last Online
    14-02-2008 @ 01:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Anyway as I was going there my girlfriend demanded that I buy her some KhanomJark, I have no idea what this is This is Khanom Jark whatever that maybe,

-snip-

These big long beasty fish were 250baht each, no idea what sort of fish they are though

Khanom Jak made from Sticky rice flour ,Palm sugar and salt

Basically the cover of this khanom is "Bai Jak" (nipa palm leaf ) ..That's why we call it "Khanom Jak"

The 5th foto is salty fish(Pla Khem) made from "Pla In See" (Spanish Mackerel)

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by BambinA
    Does that mean that it is salted so can be stored for a long time or just that it tastes salty?

Last Online
    14-02-2008 @ 01:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Does that mean that it is salted so can be stored for a long time or just that it tastes salty?

It's a kind of preservation food ( too salty is not a good place for bacteria or fungi growing up)

(as Ham ,Bacon)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    03-03-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetyim
    Yes, you really should try and get into some of the local specials, DD.

Everything you showed here is perfectly delicious, I can vouch for them all.
    Even that big fish is nice to eat but does stink the place out.
    Yep I've eaten most of them as well, the "Khanom Jak" (the first one) is a fav of the MiL's, the rice cooked in bamboo (Khow Lamb) is great for taking on long car journys for when your a bit peakish.
    The small fish (Pla two) are alright, if you take the meat off and put it on toast its exactly like sardines. Never seen the big fish for sale around here.

Khanom Jak made from Sticky rice flour ,Palm sugar and salt
    Is'nt it flavoured with coconut as well ?
    I have more than the average number of arm and legs

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    insects and other animals have urinated and poo pooed on them, then the containers have been washed in some dirty water
    Thanks for that reminder, just what we needed

ding ding ding
    Last Online
    @
    Khanom Jak is sold at the side of the road by the ladies who do the strange dance in an attempt to get you to stop the car.
    I laughed my nuts off the first time i saw them doing it.
    Me, i just stop at the one with the biggest tits

Last Online
    27-03-2008 @ 08:31 PM
    I used to be the same way but now I'm really starting to dig the variety of Thai sweets. Bua Loy is good as well as the black sticky rice. I still can't get over all of the corn they use in the sweets though. Whenever I bite into a kernel it just seems wrong.

Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomChances
    Never seen the big fish for sale around here.
    You might have eaten it before .
    It is sometimes served with Khao Dtom.
    It has a very strong salty flavour so you only put a tiny bit in to flavout the Khao Dtom

Thread Information