Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    31-10-2021 @ 03:34 AM

£18,600 wage minimum to bring spouse to UK

Monday 11 June 2012

New immigration proposals, setting minimum earnings of nearly £20,000 for those wanting to bring a relative to the UK, would prevent up to 30,000 parents and children from joining their families here.

Article here: £18,600 wage minimum to bring spouse to UK - Channel 4 News
    Obviously aimed at the Indians and Africans but as before UK political correctness throws UK natives in the same boat.

And before you go shooting off about the £18,600 limit, that is unfortunately as good as it gets for a lot of households in the UK outside of the south east.
    Last edited by Neo; 13-06-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    "This (family life) is not an absolute right," Ms May told BBC's Andrew Marr show on Sunday. "In the interests of the economy, or controlling migration or public order, those sorts of issues, the state has a right to qualify the right to a family life."
    Says the fascist, jaffa, pig.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    18-05-2021 @ 03:37 PM
    ^22,000+ for 1 child then 2000+ extra on each child.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    This interests me...

I have been trying to get a visa for my g/f to Europe for 5 months now...every time I have failed. We were planning to marry in October but have now brought it forward so that she can come to EU on a spouse visa.

Problem is I am a Brit living and working in a Schengen Country. She was refused a Tourist Visa because she could not prove she would come back (Yes you read that right...need a Mortgage and/or Professional Job and/or a dependent to get a visa nowadays...and perhaps understandable after the abuse in previous couple of decades)

Anyone got ideas on spouse visa for the UK being applicable to EU Countries...and (the point of asking) whether the wage has to be earned in the UK in order for it to be eligible...or can be earned anywhere in the EU....

I think these people need to think things through before making silly rules even sillier....

I may be selling coconuts on the beach in North Pattaya soon...Or selling <cash crop> in Isaan....

Last Online
    @
    They've got to do something to stop the flood of scroungers coming in.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Fair enough - at least we know what the numbers are now.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    The main problems are illegal immigration and the millions of East Europeans who are here legally and nothing can be done about. This is just another dumb policy so they can come out with some statistics saying more applications refused, as always they just go after the soft targets that aren't the problem.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    18-05-2021 @ 03:37 PM
    ^ sums it up.

Last Online
    @
    You could try article 8.Law Firm Limited. Immigration. Right of Private & Family life
    Close family relations
    Husband / wife or Civil Partnerships
    Unmarried and Same sex Partners (there is no requirement for them to have at least 2 years of relationship as they are required to do so to qualify under the Immigration rules).
    Parent / Child / Adopted Child

I guess though if your not earning that kind of money not much chance as a UK national of landing a wife from Issan.
    Personally i think its wrong stopping a couple of living together in the UK if one of the couple live in another country because of their partners earning potential.
    They should also include starting a family if you not earning over £30,000 a year sorry not allowed to have children that includes every UK national.

Last Online
    @
    Yes, I've always wanted to live in China.

Last Online
    @
    [QUOTE=Neo;2127492]
    Monday 11 June 2012

New immigration proposals, setting minimum earnings of nearly £20,000 for those wanting to bring a relative to the UK, would prevent up to 30,000 parents and children from joining their families here.
    I think allowing people to come and enjoy the rights and benefits of the UK or any other western countries only because of having family in the country is something that should end.

Can we westerners do this? Is this reciprocal?

R.I.P
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    This issue was posed on bbc's 'Question Time' last night and a panel politician quoted the current level at 5000+ sterling for legal entry.

The explaination for the change was presented as:- the current rules on entry have led to abuse and a strain on the welfare system in the longer term. Nothing new there then!!

Self support as barbaro mentioned is not an unreasonable request by any government.

It is of course a requirement of myself residing in Thailand. At 16,000 pounds for a 50+ single person to aquire a more permanent residence here or a minimum monthly income of 900 pounds for a non 'o' visa, notably in a country that is comparably less demanding on the wallet than the UK, so are the British government being unreasonable?

Whopping Member
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Why are we the only animals on the planet who prevent themselves from crossing imaginary boundaries on a map?

Oh, I remember. We're the only animals stupid enough to form governments.

I am in Jail

Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    So any fekker that lives in europe can go stay in UK but if your a UK national and have a foreign Asain wife your fekked LOL.

So what happens if i take my two kids to UK with Euro passports is my wife left behind ?

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    So what happens if i take my two kids to UK with Euro passports is my wife left behind ?
    If she hasn't got a 6 month visitor visa yes

euston has flown

Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Anyone got ideas on spouse visa for the UK being applicable to EU Countries...and (the point of asking) whether the wage has to be earned in the UK in order for it to be eligible...or can be earned anywhere in the EU....
    The UK spouse visa is given to allow you and your spouse to settle in the UK.

If you are earning a wage in another EU country, thats likely to be seen as evidence that you intend to live with your wife in the country you are working in. if thats not the UK, it would be grounds to refuse the visa.

Dislocated Member
    Last Online
    I don't want to speculate as I'm not entirely sure of the rules, but I think EU rules are different, having worked in the EU myself. If you are employed directly and on a permanent basis by the company in the country that you reside, paying tax and having residence in that country, your wife will not be refused entry to live with you.
    After a period of time together in that country you are then eligible for residence in the UK.

Of course the rules do change, but I know of one person that has done that by bringing their spouse to Sweden whilst working there and then on to the UK, and I know of others that have looked into it.

If I was in that position it's certainly something I'd look into, and heck if I had a steady job in the EU and my foreign wife with me, I don't think I'd want to go to the UK anyway.

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    The main problems are illegal immigration and the millions of East Europeans who are here legally and nothing can be done about. This is just another dumb policy so they can come out with some statistics saying more applications refused, as always they just go after the soft targets that aren't the problem.
    I wouldn't worry, the whole EU house of cards is about to come tumbling down soon.

Politicians are still fundamentally vote whores, despite their lefty indoctrination, and no serious party is going to support an even greater deluge of EU economic refugees further destabilising the UK at the moment - they've only just started to notice that the reason why we've got a million NEETs is largely because of immigration and skinflint employers pretending that British kids have no work ethic, when what they really mean is, they can'e be exploited as much as a refugee (economic or otherwise).

Last Online
    18-07-2020 @ 11:25 PM
    A conspiracy theorist might entertain the idea that this is a feminazi ploy to remove older white men's access to svelte young dusky maidens and leaving the local podgy British blart to become fag hags. Obviously most men go abroad for the women, not for the "culture", even if it's under the guise of work or "travel".

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Monday 11 June 2012

New immigration proposals, setting minimum earnings of nearly £20,000 for those wanting to bring a relative to the UK, would prevent up to 30,000 pakis and coons from joining their families here.

Article here: £18,600 wage minimum to bring spouse to UK - Channel 4 News
    Obviously aimed at the Indians and Africans but as before UK political correctness throws UK natives in the same boat.

And before you go shooting off about the £18,600 limit, that is unfortunately as good as it gets for a lot of households in the UK outside of the south east.
    True, but having seen some of the trash that gets brought over and handed passports - something's got to be done.
    Too much of the focus in the UK has been about what your rights are, and not enough on what you work for and earn. If you want a nice neotonous asian babe to relive those creampiethais moments with, then you should be encouraged to work to earn a decent amount of money to be able to do it, thus becoming a productive member of society (with a big grin and and empty scrotum).

I've seen too many illiterate pigin-english speaking oriental redneck/bogan/charver types getting passports ridiculously quickly, whilst working as cleaners or something.
    Surely the point of immigration is that you improve the general quality of your population?!
    Rather than be an open door to cynical scheming third world tarts manipulating the emotions of a fat ugly middle aged blokes in order to obtain a passports and divorce them rapidly once obtained (I have observed this happen more than once).

I would want to see every such immigrant with a degree or vocational certificate as well as a TOEIC/IELTS score as good as any uni - for EU as well as non-EU.

It's not about being nasty to some poor besotted soul and his bargirl, is just practical:
    1. they need to be able to function independently in the country, so they need English (and to form a sincere and genuine relationship with their spouse and friends and family)
    2. they need to be able to support themselves and contribute to the economy, so they need education/training to get them a viable job
    3. they need to be able to cope with the change in climate, food, culture, and to fit in, and not wind up the local Anders Breivik with their religious pyjamas, aggressive manner, and stinky food

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by hazz
    I think you will find it allows her to settle for a period of two years mate ,, not indefinitely ,, you then have to go through more hoops , spend more money to achieve that criteria

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    This interests me...

I have been trying to get a visa for my g/f to Europe for 5 months now...every time I have failed. We were planning to marry in October but have now brought it forward so that she can come to EU on a spouse visa.

Problem is I am a Brit living and working in a Schengen Country. She was refused a Tourist Visa because she could not prove she would come back (Yes you read that right...need a Mortgage and/or Professional Job and/or a dependent to get a visa nowadays...and perhaps understandable after the abuse in previous couple of decades)

I think these people need to think things through before making silly rules even sillier....

I may be selling coconuts on the beach in North Pattaya soon...Or selling <cash crop> in Isaan....

Quite why you appear so clueless is beyond me but then when it comes to the EU so many Brits are indeed utterly ignorant as to the benefits that come with membership.

As a Brit you are under the European regulations entitled to freedom of movement, employment and services, and so is your spouse whether or not she is non - EU.

As long as you are in an EU state or accompanying your wife travelling to it you are entitled to bring your wife without the need for a visa. She only needs to apply for an EEA family permit from that country's embassy in Thailand. There are only 3 criteria, that you are indeed an EEA national and you intend to exercise your treaty rights, that you are married or in a relationship akin to marriage and that you intend to live together. The application is free and usually of 6 months duration during which time your wife may apply for a residence permit.

Now, this is the thing. Assuming you are indeed a Brit and you are in another EU member state and are economically active there then you will have acquired EU status for purposes of returning to Britain with your wife under the European Regulations and not under the UK Immigration Rules. She should first obtain an EEA family permit from the British embassy but again this is free and cannot be refused if you demonstrate that you have been economically active in the EU state, that you are married and that your wife has been granted permission to reside with you in that member state. There are no time limits and in theory she could have been in that EU member state for only a short stay.

Thus she could return with you to the UK without the need for you to meet the new minimum wage requirements and without her having to pass any language test. When she takes up her residence in the UK under her new EEA family permit she can then apply for a residence pemit which when granted will last for 5 years. This cannot be refused provided you are economically active or otherwise a qualified person. Indefinite leave to remain is granted on a " no time limit " basis, on application, at the conclusion of 5 years and has the same significance as ILR under the UK immigration rules. No language requirement is necessary to qualify.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I don't want to speculate as I'm not entirely sure of the rules, but I think EU rules are different, having worked in the EU myself. If you are employed directly and on a permanent basis by the company in the country that you reside, paying tax and having residence in that country, your wife will not be refused entry to live with you.
    After a period of time together in that country you are then eligible for residence in the UK.

Of course the rules do change, but I know of one person that has done that by bringing their spouse to Sweden whilst working there and then on to the UK, and I know of others that have looked into it.

If I was in that position it's certainly something I'd look into, and heck if I had a steady job in the EU and my foreign wife with me, I don't think I'd want to go to the UK anyway.
    Thanks Neo,
    This is the route I am currently taking. It may not be quite as simple as that for me...I am a freelance contractor with a yearly contract that happens to have rolled on and on...and spouse may have to pass a language test (EU law since 2007 I think). Although she speaks English well enough to pass the English exam she does not know any other European languages and this could delay the visa another 3 months or so.

If you are earning a wage in another EU country, thats likely to be seen as evidence that you intend to live with your wife in the country you are working in. if thats not the UK, it would be grounds to refuse the visa.
    Hazz...This looks to be correct...and so my family will have to travel into Europe to see us...and she cannot see my house and home. I am still domocile UK even though I am resident in another EU Country. There is a difference and I have sufficient proof of that to request a visa.

I think you will find it allows her to settle for a period of two years mate ,, not indefinitely ,, you then have to go through more hoops , spend more money to achieve that criteria
    I believe this is just a formality and can be obtained in-country...Origins stem from the "Marriage of Convenience" days. However the hoops start when you try and get her a UK Passport....That route is way down the line for me....if at all.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    ^Obtaining a UK passport is actually pretty straight forward, it is obtaining the original settlement visa then indefinate leave to remain that can be an issue.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Troy, presumably you have now read my post in which case you will see just how garbled your understanding has become.

Do you understand now?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^
    Yes Thanks...and I was getting really confused about this as you rightly say.

So why did neither the UK nor German Embassy explain this when I asked them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information