Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Speaking of house colors, here is a nice bright color green. The reast of the house is even more colorful and reminds me of cartoon land.

Right now I am looking at a very light colored peach for the outside cement. I think it would go well with the darker wood and rock/red brick base border. It has been difficult to find any large rock to do the base border and if I do not locate some soon, I will just have the brother do it in red brick.

Here is the final day of rendering and work for most of the crew. The rock/brick border will go up the bottom 1 meter of the house all the way around and will fit just under the teak wood paneling as well.

Last edited by rickschoppers; 29-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here is the patio side of the teak paneling once the stain/polyurethane has been applied. It is about 40 m2 and took some time to do. I am now glad I ordered the paneling unfinished since my original thought was to have a gold teak finish but now having bought the darker front doors, this darker shade should work out well.

The question of what to do with the bolts has been solved as well. I used some dark brown Lobster metal paint and they blended in pretty well with the wood color.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    It has been difficult to find any large rock to do the base border and if I do not locate some soon, I will just have the brother do it in red brick.
    What about those 'fake stone/brick tile' things (see Bangyai's home improvement thread)?

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Looking good Rick BTW the warm peach colour gets my vote over the beige any day it will complement the red coloured stained windows beautifully IMHO looking forward to seeing the results.

Its ok using things up like paint you have left over but its a big thing to paint the outside of your house and every time you look at it think " I wonder what if "

All the best mate
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Thanks Nigel. I picked up some TOA peach/beige paint today that should work out fine. It is always better to have a little color rather than all neutral colors IMO. We will see how everything looks after we buy some red block for the base. We are off to look at some right now that are about 8 baht ea., but are large.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Those fake brick tiles Marmite's on about do look very nice IF they are put on by someone who knows what they're doing ,, I know its stating the obvious but I have seen both results in Thailand with my own eyes , a real nice professional job looked the nuts and my friends house , which the clowns have made a right pigs ear of it , looks bloody awful , tiles coming adrift after just 1 year .

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I went ahead and purchased what I call the Lego bricks. They wound up being 7 baht ea. since I used my two pickups to haul an initial 500. I will take a picture shortly to show what they look like.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 30-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Late, but I would say white.....

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    CAn never get over these Thai guys who have black masks and woolen hats in 40c weather I sweat blinking in LOS!

Once again great thread. WHen we park the boat there go I!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Bon Voyage!

You are doing what I once thought of but it never happened. Now I think I may be too old even though the thought still crosses my mind from time to time.

Yes, the Thais are afraid of the sun and dust. It reminds me very much of how the arabs cover up to keep from loosing too much moisture in the desert heat along with sun protection. None of us will ever understand it unless we grew up in Thailand or an Arab country.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Yes, the Thais are afraid of the sun

Yup I guess if you really wanna look like one of the locals you have to learn to walk around holding a book on your head 555

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Hi rick, 2/3 of the cruisers out their are retired. If you can lift a pint you are young enough.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan
    Yup I guess if you really wanna look like one of the locals you have to learn to walk around holding a book on your head 555
    well, they are not going to read it so might as well put it to good use

Last Online
    @
    House looking good RC. I am following it from here.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    It has been difficult to find any large rock to do the base border and if I do not locate some soon, I will just have the brother do it in red brick.
    What about those 'fake stone/brick tile' things (see Bangyai's home improvement thread)?
    The house right behind mine has had them stuck on, guess? they are falling off and its not 6 yet months old. another quality job from "dream up house builder"

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    House looking good RC. I am following it from here.
    JP, hope all is well back in Cali and that you make it back some day.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I took a short break from the house build even though there has been some work done. I am currently staining and sealing all the wood door jams and windows with the same product I used on the teak panels.

Painting some of the cement walls will be next so that I can finally get some windows in along with doors to lock the place up while it is empty.

Will post more pics soon.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Hey you've swopped your little lad for a new av , you gonna have a chopper out there Rick ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    He has changed so much that the picture was outdated. My current avatar was from my bike business and the picture shown is one of my award winners.

I have had a "chopper" here for a few years now, but am now going to sell it and buy a smaller touring bike. It is a Honda Steed 400 with strait pipes and resembles an older Harley. Interested?

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    The wife has one mate ,, as tiny as she is bless her ,, made me larf one day when I first met her coming home from her work riding along with her little feet on the pegs.

On another note I would love to see a thread from your chopper business mate , or at least some pics ,, your a clever kinda practical guy then.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Yes, another thread maybe or I could add to this one if I have some slow building times. The business lasted a few years before the economy took a dump but I did have some fun going to shows and events. I built about 10 bikes per year and still have two in the States that I am storing and may give to my older boys.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Well, as many of you already know, I am now back in the States to work for awhile to bolster my bank account and pay for some more building. My wife and son are still back in Thailand with my little lady charged with overseeing any progress on the house. I was there all during the structural phase which is a must if you are planning to build anything in Thailand.

The next step will be to build a block wall around the house so that my dogs and son can run free without worrying about crazy drivers and motorbikes. It should also keep out most unwanted visitors. We now have two pit bulls that seem to scare the beejesus out of the Thais and hopefully they don't get poisoned.

My wife's brother is overseeing the property and he has done a good job on the garden near the carport. He likes working outside and keeps a good eye on the place for us. He sleeps in the large shed that more resembles a typical Thai home and is quite comfortable there.

I have left various instructions for my wife and purchased the tile I want to see in the bathrooms so that there is no question of what to use. I also have some exterior paint that is to be used on the house walls minus the teak wood panels. We have spoken to a good builder and I would like him to do the wiring, painting and most the finish work. Unfortunately, I will not be able to post too many pics until I return. It should be interested to see what the final product looks like while I am over here working. Wish me luck.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    My wife's brother is overseeing the property
    I have left various instructions for my wife
    We have spoken to a good builder and I would like him to do the wiring, painting and most the finish work.
    yes, good luck with that

you may find you have a different house to that expected but it may still be nice!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^

Yes, it is a risk, but I am hoping it will not look like a cartoon once I get back. There is not much more I can tell my wife about wiring, tiles and paint colors than I have already told her, but she has been pretty good at following my wishes in the past.

As I mentioned, we do have a "family friend" that is pretty good at finish work and has built many houses along with one for his sister who is married to a Frenchman. He seems to be dialed in pretty well to western standards and I will publish pics when I get back to show you the results. It could wind up being a disaster, or not.....

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I posted this on my retirement thread and probably should have put it here:

I took some pictures not long before I left to come back to the States that shows the landscaping that my BIL has done. As I mentioned before, he is living at the property and has a green thumb. He has already grown and sold a crop of corn and has many fruit trees planted. This pic shows some flowers (type of orchid, I think) growing near one of the many banana trees.

Here's a shot from the carport looking toward the drive entrance. There will be more flowers planted along the flowerbed where the red flowers are and the normal grass growth will be replaced with turf with a few rock features after all the construction trucks are finished using this small plot to drop off materials.

This pic is taken across the carport and shows more banana trees that line the perimeter of the driveway. Simon is shown with my son and is the BIL that has the green thumb and lives on the property.

Here's a view out the front of the carport showing more banana trees. Simon has planted many food bearing plants with the banana trees that I do not know the name of, but many are used for Thai cooking, including hot peppers. The goal is to grow as many food plants as we can to decrease the amount of purchases we make while shopping. Hope to have lime trees, mangos, tomatoes, cucumbers or any other item that is eatable. We have several Papaya trees and the family is already eating them.

I would be interested to hear, from other posters any advice on growing these types of crops. I have 3 rai of "farmland" to grow on and hope to become more active in the crops once I return.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information