Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @

Jomtien Beer Bars & Rompho Market

So we got beer bars, a fresh food market, a holiday resort consisting of Thai teak wood houses / huts, a good few restaurants, a gym, plus several other places to attract the Thais and farangs, all this in the middle of no where in Jomtien on Rompho Road opposite Soi 5, although to be honest with land value being so high here I wouldn't be suprised in a few years time if the bars are knocked down and a condo built there, but the place is getting busy, almost buzzing.

Lets start with the market, suprisingly it is called Rompho Market I believe, this is real popular and busy with both Thais and farangs, the area did need this market and over the last couple of years it has really built up a good customer base, basically all we had locally was Foodmart which is more of a place to buy lamb chops and cheese, at top notch prices I might add, not knocking Foodmart as it does have some really good stuff in, but it is a tad expensive for your everyday shopping and is more aimed at the farang market.

The front of the Jomtien market, looks a bit smarter than the old style Thai markets don't it

All the vegetables you will ever need can be bought at the Rompho market, as well as of course fruits, meat, and anything else you may want to eat.

https://teakdoor.com/pattaya-forum/13...n-markets.html

As for beer bars, who thought they would catch on in Jomtien, there is probably about 30 odd in total at Rompho with some at the back still being built, obviously the front ones generally do the best customer wise, although at 50baht a beer on average they aint making a fortune, also those with pool tables don't charge for games, thats pretty much unheard of in Pattaya, maybe Pattaya trourists will start visiting Jomtien for afternoon drinks to save a bit of money and have a few games of pool, who knows, it's only a 10baht taxi ride away.

Some bars that aren't quite finished yet but will soon be up for rent no doubt and probably rented out quite quickly looking at how well the place has been doing.

The Aussie Bar is quite a busy one, it's at the front and also does food so pretty much prime position, not sure if they do pick ups and then send you back home on the bike, probably for food deliveries I would think.

Plenty of choice for food at Rompho, got a load of Thai food stalls to keep the Thais happy, but most importantly there is a lamb kebab stall, it also does lamb burgers and other dishes that us Brits miss so much.

https://teakdoor.com/pattaya-forum/97...d-jomtien.html

Further down is a Indian Restaurant called the Curry Hut, this has a good selection of Indian dishes on the menu at reasonable prices so worth a visit, the decor is not up to Indian by Nature standards but then again neither are the prices.

https://teakdoor.com/pattaya-forum/97...d-jomtien.html

Pretty sure this is going to be a resort, they put the teak wood houses together over the other side of the road, walled off this land and then moved them here, seems they are putting in trees and other landscaping stuff so it can only be a resort, not sure I would want to stay so close to a bunch of beer bars, but in Jomtien it is 1am closing and the police are pretty good about enforcing that here.

The houses are set round the edges of the land so maybe they will put a swimming pool in the middle? Got to have something there and for the nearness to Jomtien Beach they can certainly charge a reasonable amount, please say they wont build another bar there

There are about 3 different sorts of teak wood houses here but all pretty similar so not worth taking photos of all 3 different sorts, so it's just the 1, but it seems quite nice, albeit a bit small for living in but probably great for a short holiday.

About 1/3rd of the way down there is car parking on the left, this I think is free as there are plenty of cars there and nobody to collect the money, pretty sure in the future it wont be free anymore once they have a good customer base, oh well, thats life.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I visited Rhompo for the first time when I was last in Pattaya (circa 6 months ago), and while it wasn't quite buzzing, it was doing pretty well- certainly for a newish place in the middle of nowhere (well, it would've been a few years ago). Apparently the fact you can actually find a park there attracts quite a few Darksiders as well as those remaining Jomtienite's who stubbornly remain not gay.

Janes, the original 'el cheapo' bar in Soi New Plaza (before the rest of the soi copied it) has opened a Janes 2 there, and it's doing really well- it was taking more than the original, according to Jane herself. The Curry Hut delivers there too- as I assume it does to the rest of the beer bars, and I rather enjoyed their vindaloo, with absolutely no need to vacate my seat and walk somewhere to get it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    nice update DD, thanks!

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    Nice report.

Don't know why someone would want to crank up an Aussie bar or Pommy bar Or German bar. ????

When I see that advertising I just keep on walking.

Fly all the way to Thailand to hang out in a Theme bar ????

No thanks.

Last Online
    20-03-2024 @ 04:21 PM
    Yeah. There are some nice beer bars there and the market is great for fresh fruit & vegies at good prices. Wish I could get the same value when I shop at Woolies in Sydney. Rip off baskets!
    Rentals in the condos surrounding are pretty good, especially if you take them for the long term. The only gogo that I know of in Jomtien is called, I think, We are number one? Suppose that is truth in advertising, cos there aint none other.
    Over run by large pink Russkies at the moment. They buy their Chang at 711 and come and sit at the bar tables and the restaurant tables. Quite miffs the local people, this odd behaviour.
    Occasionally, we get to see a really good representative of the Rus, Anna Kornikova style. Endless legs and corn coloured hair, drool. But I still love the short Thai (read Isaan) girls best.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper
    We are number one?
    Whilst they most certainly are not, good times can be had there. It helps to have a penchant for bon jovi and robbie williams, and a willingness to tip the DJ. It is by no means for the Techno inclined. I liked it best as an afternoon gogo, the last time i was there though (rather too late) I was appalled to see a particularly unattractive German male dance naked on stage, and tip a girl enough for some lewdness.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Don't know why someone would want to crank up an Aussie bar or Pommy bar Or German bar.
    Maybe people want proper food sometimes?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Don't know why someone would want to crank up an Aussie bar or Pommy bar Or German bar.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    ^ Have to agree with Tels sentiments , certainly wouldn't want to travel 6000 miles to eat lamb burgers BUT then I aint an expat yet ,, although I would guess these places are aimed at the punters coming in for the 2 week breaks

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    24-04-2023 @ 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    I'd rather die of starvation than go into an Aussie bar. I still have nightmares about the old ANZAC bar in Pattaya. Full of blokes holding the same can of lager all day. They started drinking there at about 9.30 but probably only managed to get through about four tins by midnight. British guy was stabbed there and the bar didn't last long after his murder. Half of it became a gay disco. A positive improvement, if you ask me !

My mate used to go there for his breakfast so I tried it. Absolutely disgusting, I didn't realise that such dreadful things could be done to an egg.

My revulsion was fuelled by the name of the bar which I considered to be an insult to Australian and New Zealand forces.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by can123
    I'd rather die of starvation than go into an Aussie bar.
    I guess the feeling would be mutual i.e.. the Aussies would rather starve than have you in there

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    23-08-2023 @ 12:45 PM
    *Update*

The kebab place disappeared a week ago and the Rumdum bar on the right hand side as you walk into the bar complex is the busiest bar by far, the rest are as dead as a dodo.

The place bores the tits off me big time, beacause the bars are all the same.

Sally's bar on soi 5 which has now been renamed Roadhouse is a better option IMHO, free pool proper table and similar prices.
    Last edited by hooter; 20-05-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: ...
    Landlubber.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by hooter
    the rest are as dead as a dodo.
    Have not seen you on the darkside for a while mate.

Plenty of interesting places over here.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Loads of bars are up for sale in the complex at around the 1.3 million baht mark if anyones interested.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    the rest are as dead as a dodo.
    Have not seen you on the darkside for a while mate.

Plenty of interesting places over here.
    Drop In bar is me favourite, the daft [at][at][at][at] I used to get a lift off has F***** Off back to England with a schoolie.

So no have lift.

I still need to kick your arse at pool. 8ball never happened think frightened.

6 days to go for me before a run back to the UK.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    LT fancy a few games over here? I know just the place, cracking tables and a decent bar.

No ladymen either. Promise.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Checked today, the kebab shack has gone, thats quite a blow as I thought it was doing good, never any customers when I got there but always a customer waiting when I left with my takeaways, noticed the Ma Ma Burger shack is still there, they do lamb burgers but kebabs are really my thing.

Down the right hand side coming in from Jomtien Second Road they are building a load more single story shop houses, shouldn't take long to rent them out, also even got a restaurant down that side with free WIFI, about time businesses in Thailand started giving this out for free to customers.

Last Online
    07-12-2022 @ 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post

If I wanted to have a decent meal the last place you would find me was in any of those shitty bars.

They serve up drunks food for drunk punters. Thats what those shitty bars are for right ?

Drinking shit beers and watching silly trollups getting around the place talking shit to the Johns hanging there tits out a showing there shit tats.

Whatever floats your boat mate.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^ Tel mate agreed.

In the market area if you wander back out of the bar bit and into market proper there is a stall with two huge terracotta ceramic pot thingies a metre and a bit tall and she roasts ribs and chickens in them.

60 baht for ribs and 120 for a whole chook.

Absolutely gorgeous.

Banned
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Nice thread.

I bet the people who've bought those condos will be happy with that lot in front of them 'til 2am.

Last Online
    28-02-2020 @ 11:00 AM
    No ladymen either. Promise.
    yea right!!

Last Online
    17-09-2014 @ 05:56 AM
    but the quality of the women in the market,leaves something to be desired !!!!

Last Online
    20-03-2024 @ 04:21 PM
    Apart from the falang women, now liberally sprinkled with the large Ruskies, I reckon that some of the girls on the stalls are really cute. No airs or pretense about them. They just want a falang husband.
    If you sit at the Star Bar and ignore the loud talk from the Norsemen and the idiot yapping of the miniature Doberman, late in the afternoon early evening the bar ladies strut on their way to their employment. Not such a bad sight, after a few quiet beers with mates.
    I think the best kebab cart is situated at Hanuman near the motor cycle shop.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    I think the best kebab cart is situated at Hanuman near the motor cycle shop.
    Agreed, 60 baht for a normal one or I always ask for a super-size 100 baht.

Only chicken available though.

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    The Den Beer Bar has a pool competition this Wednesday at 8.30pm with prizes, so if any of you are good at pool get down there and win some of those prizes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information