Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    When they build your internal walls from the pillars Rick do they just butt the blocks up to them or join using an upright pegged strip of metal with wall ties coming out of them at right angles ?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    None visible in the photos!

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    ^ you wouldn't see em mate , the blocks are already up in them pics

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    paper bag! paper bag!

when we was lads we had to take turns growing up in a used toilet roll tube

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post

Tis a bit large, but I figured if I was going to try and spend the rest of my days here in Thailand, I did not want to feel clostrophobic. Besides, I think a smallish house would have looked strange on a large pacel of land even though I see it all the time.

Cant take it with you as I often heard my granddad say in the pub.
    he drank himself to death

Once we settle we will be in the same predicament. Big bloody job, in any western country, must be doubly so in LOS! Good luck.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    using it on my sailboats
    Your a Sailor! Why waste money on a house? think of the size of Sailboat you could have bought

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing into trouble View Post
    using it on my sailboats
    Your a Sailor! Why waste money on a house? think of the size of Sailboat you could have bought
    The late night sound of the anchor dragging is enough for most not to want to live afloat permanently.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan View Post
    When they build your internal walls from the pillars Rick do they just butt the blocks up to them or join using an upright pegged strip of metal with wall ties coming out of them at right angles ?
    Yes, that is what they do and I will try and get a pic to show this. Most of the fill block is done, but there might be a spot that shows the steel protruding from the pillar that they use to tie into the concrete block.

They usually drill a hole into the pillar the size of the rebar and space the steel to coincide with each row of block. These ties are then cemented to the block rows to give the wall some strength.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^^^
    Been there, done that. I lived on a 43' sailboat in San Diego Harbor with the city as a backdrop. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but when my ex became pregnant with our second boy, it no longer was fun. At least I had some time when I was single living on the boat which gave me plenty of good memories.

Besides, you know what they say about boats, they are big black holes to throw money into (as are houses).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    mind you, I know a French bloke who works in France most of the summer then comes out to the Thailand and lives aboard his fishing boat

he has someone who looks after it for him when he is not there

that seems to solve all those problems about buying a house and losing it

he also tends to meet people in bars etc and hires himself and boat out for fishing trips

he has a nice life
    I have reported your post

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Not a bad idea except for the hiring the boat out. It seems like some Thais may object unless he has a work permit. Living on a boat is not as easy at it sounds. One night I woke up on my boat and stepped into several inches of sea water. It seems on of my guests that used the head turned the wrong valve which was used to discharge the toilet while moving. If it is opened when stopped, sea water will then enter the boat. My auto bilge pump failed and the boat was sitting pretty low in the water when this was discovered.

The trip here could also be an issue with all the pirates around the different waters now. It is said that you can pick up a nice sailboat cheap in the south Pacific because many people no longer want to continue sailing around the world due to the long passages.

This was one of my dreams as a young man until I read several books written by people who have blue water sailed. I changed my mind and decided to fly to foreing destinations and rent a boat if I got the urge.

A little off the subject, so I will post some pics I took today.

Here is a shot of a window frame with the Berger maple colored wood stain with polyurethane semi-gloss. It is pretty close to the color of the front doors, so I have solved the question of what finish to use on the teak panels.

Here is a test strip of the teak panels with the same wood stain/polyurethane.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here are the green glass blocks for one of the toilets and a square hole where the exhaust fan will go. It will exhaust out the back of the house and hopefully decrese the amount of steam and hot air that accumulates during a hot shower. I had them put some louvered block in the wall to allow for some added air flow. It is not fun to take a shower in a hot steamy toilet when it is already hot and steamy outside.

Here is the front of the house as it stands now. The front door jam is 180cm x 200cm. There will be a landing with steps leading down and eventually we will build some additional protection from the rain.

As you enter through the front doors there is a hallway that leads back to the Thai kitchen on the right and the window on the left is part of the dining area.

Here is the dining area on the left and behind that the same hallway leading back to the Thai kitchen.

Here is the hallway looking back at the front door with two bedroom doors on the left and the toilet door on the right.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The inside of the front walls is being rendered and the space to the left in the final portion to be closed that houses the front door. Once this is rendered, the only rendering that is left will be the one toilet. We have elected to not finish two bedrooms, one of which has the ensuite toilet. This was my decision since I want to make sure we can finish and move into the house within the next month or so. The other reason is budgetary since we spent more on the carport/storage area than initially budgeted. We will live in the space for now with one bedroom, one toilet, living area and Thai kitchen. The rest can be completed at our leisure.

I hope this gives everyone a little more perspective of how the space will be used. We will be speaking with the electrician in the next few days and once that is completed along with the plumbing, it will be downhill from there. Painting, tiling and hanging windows and doors will be the next big step.

I plan to leave the outside until after the rainy season.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    OhOh, I tried to find an example of what we were talking about when it comes to tieing in the pillars to the filler block. The only space I have left is where the front door will go. What they do is drill holes into the cement pillars just before they lay that row of block and place the steel rebar into that hole and then cement it into the block as they go up the wall. They have also welded stringers of rebar to steel support beams and then tie those into the cement block as well. I took a picture of these stringers and hope you can see them since it is a pretty dark day today. Hope that helps.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

I would encourage the use of insulation, from my experience it is worth the cost. Currently, I am redoing a home for a Thai customer. Originally, this home had 17 dogs, numerous rooms and hallways and was constantly being added to throughout the years without any thought whatsoever of the end result.

At first the Thai customer/guy paying the bills balked at insulation. After it was installed along with the new roof and the remake still about half finished; he was amazed how much cooler the home was.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    OhOh, I tried to find an example of what we were talking about
    That was me Rick actually ( none taken by the way ) OO was on about dragging anchors

By the way that ramp looks a tad steep for the forklift

Only joking its looking bloody great mate ! ( quite literally )

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh
    The late night sound of the anchor dragging is enough for most not to want to live afloat permanently.
    OO you never hear an anchor dragging!! Just the gentle knock knock on the hull as you grind into a reef!

Stop talking boat horror stories Rick. I am buggering off in 13 months 21 days! With my fingers firmly in my ears.

Some would say with my head firmly up my .........

Bloody incredible building taking shape. Won/t let my Mrs see it incase my 36ft Sailboat gets compared Enjoying the thread, one day..... when I wash ashore but more like my paper bag size.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^^^
    Insulation is definately in the plans and I am thinking about laying rows of fiberglass insulation on the top side of the ceiling to both keep out the heat and keep in the coolness. There will be three area ACs in each bedroom and hope some cross ventilation and the double thinkess of block wall will help keeping the house a little cooler. Fans are a must if there is no AC since you will always be close to the outside temp without AC.

Anyone else have any other ideas for ceiling insulation that will not be too expensive?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Speaking of insulation and keeping the house cool. The peak has been completed with Shera Wood and a couple of ceiling ventsadded for good measure. I would think the ceiling space will be on the warmish side which is why I have opted to place insulation on the top side of the ceiling.

I am not really sure how much hot air will be displaced while using these ceiling vents, but I figured it was better than not having them at all.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    I am not really sure how much hot air will be displaced while using these ceiling vents, but I figured it was better than not having them at all.
    I would guess not a lot Rick , but I am sure if it becomes too unbearable just having the timber there it will be easy enuf to add more later on .
    I have opted to place insulation on the top side of the ceiling.
    Is that really a good idea mate ? we do that here in the UK to keep the heat IN the property ,, I'm wondering if thats gonna do the same there ?

Love your nice big passages between your rooms , what colour you thinking of painting the outside render ? a nice light yellow would look good with the reddish colour stain on your timber
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Nigel, the wood will be stained a dark Maple brown to match the front doors. I tested it on the teak and it looks pretty good. Since it already has the polyurethane mixed in the stain, it only needs two coats. All wood will be stained this color so I was thinking about a very light beige to give the house some good contrast.

I could always take a TD pole to see what color I should paint the house, but I already know how the poles go on this site.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Ok mate , well stick an X in the light yellow box for me pls

I think if you use a light beige you might well get some confused farangs coming round for a visa stamp

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I do like the light yellow and white combo for the exterior, but it has already been done by one American friend and another Frenchie that I know so I do not want to be considered a copycat. Your vote is duely noted though.

I still have the remains of two large tubs of TOA light beigh that I would like to use up. They should be enough to finish a pretty large area only leaving a little more to purchase. Then there is the inside.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    Some palace on the go Rick. You could host a TD get together in your new home.....or not

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Here's the work crew that finished what you see in the house pictures in 2 months. The brother and foreman is on the far left. The other brother holding the whiskey bottle did not really do much of the building, but was a great person to have around to clean up and buy the boys some food and drink.

All but three are no longer working on the house since all that is left is some finish work. All the welding is done, so the metal workers do not have much to do even though they were all good laying brick.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information