R.I.P
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Cuban 'defector' actors reappear in Miami, seek asylum

Two Cuban actors who starred in a film about defectors have themselves defected to the United States.

Javier Nunez Florian and Anailin de la Rua emerged from hiding a week after they had gone missing at Miami airport during a stop-over on the way to a film festival in New York.

Speaking on a Spanish-language TV channel in Miami, they said they would seek political asylum in the US.

Several Cuban artists have defected to pursue careers outside their country.

The two 20-year-old actors star in the film Una Noche (One Night), which depicts three Cuban teenagers trying to escape the poverty of their homeland to begin a new life in Miami.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Jeremy Hunt may be feeling the squeeze today as he's pursued into a cab by the press. The culture secretary is under scrutiny over his contacts with News Corporation when it was bidding to buy BSkyB

The spectacular Supertree aerial walkway opens for a press preview at Gardens Bay in Singapore. The vertical gardens are the latest addition to the skyline and will open to the public at the end of June ... only for the very brave

R.I.P
    Last Online

Aung San Suu Kyi will shortly be taking her seat in Burma's parliament after backing down in a dispute over the wording of an oath for new MPs

An Angry Bird takes part in the second annual demonstration held by animal rights groups in Guatemala City

A scene of passionate protest by members of the Bangladesh Nationalist party outside parliament in Dhaka during a nationwide strike

R.I.P
    Last Online
    One World Trade Centre rises over New York

The new skyscraper being built on the Ground Zero site of the 9/11 attacks has overtaken the 1,250-foot Empire State Building to become the tallest structure in New York City

8 July 2011: One World Trade Centre starts to dominate the skyline

4 August 2011: a view of the south pool waterfall with One World Trade Centre in the background

R.I.P
    Last Online

Protesters shout slogans during a demonstration calling for Yemen's former President Ali Abdullah Saleh to be put on trial, in Sanaa on April 30, 2012.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Image released by the state-controlled Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA). A damaged building and cars at a site hit by two suicide bombings in Idlib, Syria, on April 30, 2012. According to SANA the bombing killed at least eight people, wounded a hundred others and caused heavy damage. Activists said 20 people were killed and believe the blasts were set off by 'regime agents'.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Four men, who witnesses say were perpetrators of an attack on followers of an Egyptian Muslim cleric and former candidate for the Egyptian presidency, are seen detained in a tent by Salafi protesters near the Ministry of Defense after overnight clashes in Cairo, Egypt, April 29. Assailants attacked demonstrators gathered outside the Defense Ministry in Egypt's capital to call for an end to military rule with rocks and firebombs, killing one protester and wounding scores, security officials said on Sunday

R.I.P
    Last Online

Job seekers wait in front of the training offices of Local Union 46, the union representing metallic lathers and reinforcing ironworkers, in the Queens borough of New York, April 29. About 500 people have been camping in front of the offices for a week after the State Department of Labor and the union announced they were looking to hire iron and wood apprentices for 50 positions. On Monday the first 500 people, who were given wristbands, will be given applications for the 50 positions

R.I.P
    Last Online

Los Angeles Police Department officers from the 77th Street division detain a twenty-year old 'Street Villains' gang member who was recently released from prison on April 29, in Los Angeles, Calif. The 77th Street division patrol the same neighborhood that truck driver Reginald Denny was nearly beaten to death by a group of black assailants at the intersection of Florence and Normandie Avenues.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Police investigate a destroyed van that plunged over the Bronx River Parkway, April 29, in New York. Authorities say the out-of-control van plunged off a roadway near the Bronx Zoo, killing seven people, including three children.

The seven victims were in the van. Three were girls, ages 7, 10, 12. The adults who died were an 84-year-old man and three women, ages 80, 45 and 30.
    It is still unclear what caused the van to veer out of control but investigators believe it bounced off the median, crossing all southbound lanes before flipping over the guardrail. The area below was a non-public area of the 265-acre animal park. There were no animals or people on the ground

R.I.P
    Last Online

People raise their hands to vote during the annual Landsgemeinde meeting at a square in the town of Appenzell, Switzerland, April 29.

Appenzell is one of Switzerland's two remaining Landsgemeinde, a 700-year tradition of an open-air assembly in which citizens can make key political decisions directly by raising their hands. The practice has been abolished in all but two cantons, as many believed true democracy could not be achieved since there was no anonymity in voting and the process simply became too unweildy as populations grew.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Victoriana fan Jan Farmer poses outside Whitby Abbey during the Whitby Goth Weekend on April 28, in Whitby, England.

Whitby Gothic Weekend which was started in 1994 to celebrate all things dark and mysterious has become a twice yearly event for Goths. Whitby was partly chosen because Bram Stoker wrote his famous Dracula story in the fishing town with the Gothic Whitby Abbey as his inspiration. The weekend has now grown to include followers of Romanticism, Victoriana, Cybergoth and Steampunk and features music, dancing, drinking and shopping for all of those interested in alternative lifestyles.

Dracula's bride, alias Jean Pawson, adjusts the collar of Dracula, John Threfall

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Yacht debris, bodies found

A 37-foot racing yacht was reduced to debris that looked it "like it had gone through a blender," a searcher said Sunday, April 29, after the boat apparently collided with a larger vessel, killing three sailors and leaving a fourth missing.

This Friday, April 27, 2012, photo shows the Aegean with crew members at the start of a 125-mile Newport Beach, Calif. to Ensenada, Mexico yacht race. The 37-foot Aegean, carrying a crew of four, was reported missing Saturday, the U.S. Coast Guard said. The yacht appeared to have collided at night with a much larger vessel, leaving three crew members dead and one missing, The Newport Ocean Sailing Association said Sunday, April 29. Race officials believe there are few other possibilities for what caused the accid

A white seat cushion is seen on a white tarp covering wreckage recovered from a yacht that collided with a larger vessel, on a boat used for a rescue search in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, Sunday, April 29, 2012. The 37-foot Aegean, carrying a crew of four, was reported missing Saturday, the U.S. Coast Guard said

R.I.P
    Last Online
    St. Louis party tent collapses

St. Louis officials are expected to more closely scrutinize the large tents commonly set up near downtown stadiums after one of the temporary structures collapsed in high winds Saturday, resulting in the death of an Illinois man and dozens of injuries after a baseball game.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    New 007 film to depict Bond's inner demons

The next James Bond movie, "Skyfall," promises the usual action, exotic locations, scheming villains and beautiful women. For fans of the original novels by Ian Fleming, there's more: a journey into the troubled psyche of the iconic spy.

French actress Berenice Marlohe, center, British actor Daniel Craig and British actress Naomie Harris arrive for the photocall of the 23rd film in the James Bond series, 'Skyfall', in Istanbul, Turkey, Sunday, April 29, 2012

R.I.P
    Last Online

Muslim Activists take part in protest against US pop diva Lady Gaga upcoming concert in Jakarta on April 29, 2012. Muslim Activists rallied against the US singer's concert to be held in the capital on June 3

R.I.P
    Last Online

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 29: Spurs players celebrate after Kyle Walker of Spurs scored their second goal from a freekick during the Barclays Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Blackburn Rovers at White Hart Lane on April 29, 2012 in London, England

WINDSOR, UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 29: Queen Elizabeth II receives flowers as she attends the review of Queen's Scouts at Windsor Castle on April 29, 2012 in Windsor, England. The Queen, patron of the Scout Association will honour hundreds of high achieving scouts from the UK and around the Commonwealth

READING, ENGLAND - APRIL 29: Jobi McAnuff of Reading lifts the npower Championship trophy during the Reading Football Club Championship Trophy Victory Parade at Madejski Stadium on April 29, 2012 in Reading, England

R.I.P
    Last Online

LAS VEGAS, NV - APRIL 28: Professional golfer Tiger Woods (L) and recording artist Jon Bon Jovi arrive at Tiger Jam 2012 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center April 28, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The event benefits the Tiger Woods Foundation

SWINDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 28: Manager Paulo Di Canio of Swindon Town celebrates at the final whistle after Swindon Town were crownded champions during the npower League Two match between Swindon Town and Port Vale at the County Ground on April 28, 2012 in Swindon, England

R.I.P
    Last Online

Roy Hodgson is set to start talks with the Football Association on Monday and is expected to be appointed England manager within 48 hours.

The FA says the West Brom manager, 64, is the only person it has approached about succeeding Fabio Capello.

He has already spoken with FA chairman David Bernstein and will meet with the four-man panel.

R.I.P
    Last Online
    Tymoshenko case: Germany in Ukraine boycott threat

Pressure is mounting on the German government to boycott Euro 2012 matches in Ukraine this summer because of alleged mistreatment of the jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko.

Chancellor Angela Merkel is considering such a boycott, the German news website Der Spiegel reports.

Environment Minister Norbert Roettgen said the government should stay away from Ukraine during the tournament. Ukraine is co-hosting it with Poland.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Dhaka, Bangladesh: A man sleeps during the second day of a country-wide strike

Hong Kong: Chinese missile frigate Yuncheng (571) docks to commemorate the 15th anniversary of Hong Kong's handover from the Britain to China

Amritsar, India: Lightning flashes over the Golden temple during a storm

R.I.P
    Last Online

Madrid, Spain: A couple watch as thousands demonstrate against education and healthcare spending cuts

Sao Paulo, Brazil: A military jet performs a flyover at IndyCar's Sao Paulo 300 auto race

Karachi, Pakistan: An injured cameraman is attended to during a firefight between police and gang members. At least 20 people including four police have been killed and 55 injured in the last three days

Managua, Nicaragua: A dancer poses for a picture after performing in the 2012 Miss Gay Nicaragua beauty contest in a backstage kitchen area of the Ruben Dario National Theatre

Indio, US: Sheryl Crow performs during the Stagecoach country music festival in California

Berlin, Germany: Performers wearing second world war Soviet Red army uniforms wait for the start of a re-enactment of the 1945 battle of Berlin

R.I.P
    Last Online

Competitors run in the rain along the banks of a the Blackwater River at low tide during the Maldon Mud Race in Maldon, Essex April 29, 2012. April is shaping up to be one of the wettest of the last century, but that's not enough to make up for an exceptionally dry winter that has left the water table and reservoirs depleted, says the Environment Agency.

Police survey the site where the body of Khalil Rasjed Dale, a British doctor working with the International Committee of the Red Cross, was found at a roadside in Quetta April 29, 2012. The beheaded body of the kidnapped British doctor was found by the roadside on Sunday in the southwestern Pakistan city of Quetta, police and Red Cross officials said. Dale, 60, was kidnapped by suspected militants on Jan 5 while on his way home from work.

Thousands of students march as they protest against tuition hikes in downtown Montreal, Quebec April 28, 2012

Tribal fighters loyal to Sadiq al-Ahmar, leader of the Hashed tribe, walk in front of the damaged Yemen Airways building in Sanaa April 29, 2012. The building was set ablaze in June last year after government troops targeted the nearby home of a tribal leader.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Policemen take positions during a fire fight with gang members near Karachi's Lyari area April 29, 2012. At least 20 people including four police officials have been killed and 55 were injured during the last three days in the exchange of fire between police and gang members, local media reported.

A woman walks past policemen standing guard as graduates who work temporary jobs in the public sector protest against the government in downtown Algiers April 29, 2012. The protesters are among thousands of young Algerian university graduates who are placed by the state in low-paid temporary public sector jobs until they can be allocated long-term posts. The protesters say they have been stuck for too long in the low-paid jobs, and will boycott the May 10 parliamentary election unless they are moved to permanent roles.

R.I.P
    Last Online

Grieving pet owner Spencer Warren opens the casket of his beloved 12-year-old beagle-hound Justin in the viewing room of the Hartsdale Pet Cemetery and Crematory on April 30 in Hartsdale, New York. Warren, an Annandale, Virginia attorney, had traveled with Justin's body to bury him here on a shady hillside. The cemetery, established in 1896, is the oldest pet cemetery in the United States and serves as the final resting place for tens of thousands of pets. Pet owners can spend as much as $20,000 for a large plot to bury multiple pets and as little as $300-400 for small plots to bury ashes if they choose cremation. Pet owners also have the option of eventually having their own ashes buried in the plot, alongside their pets

Maddalena Sullivan visits a grave on the two-month anniversary of the death of her cat Spanky.

Page 605 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1055055555955975985996006016026036046056066076086096106116126136156557051105 ... LastLast

Thread Information