Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I appreciate the idea on the rain water and will put that down as one of my future projects. I also appreciate the comments about the house not looking out of place in Australia. Being from a warm part of the US, I have also learned somthing about trying to minimize the affect of the heat. Personally, I found having a large outside living space with lots of shade was a good neutralizer.

The building team is back from Songkhran and now starting on the plumbing and placing the teak panels.

Here are the black water and grey water pipes for the two toilets. The water lines will be run next. Just a side note. This wall has catches the morning sun and when I felt the inside block, it was much cooler in temperature than the outside. Hopefully, this will continue once the house is finished and maybe the double block is working as thought.

The black water and grey water outlets that lead to the outside.

The black water and grey water pipes for the second toilet.

and their outlets. This is where the water station will be and water filter mounted.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Five thousand more red brick delivered yesterday. The team have left the front portion of the filler block incomplete until the slab has been poured. They have rendered most of the walls, inside and out which is a little different than what I have seen before, but I suspect it was to keep themselves busy before the teak panels were mounted. I am not going to complain about this since it shows initiative on their part.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The first of the eight teak panels going up.

I had to leave the site to have lunch with a friend from the UK and when I returned this is what had been done. Not the way I would have done it, but they are up. I will be going into Udon today to buy some other bolts with a little more brass in them that will give a more yellow color. The silver color of the current bolts is not to my liking and the devil is in the details, so they say.

A closer look.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Yah, brass or cast iron would be the go.
    Though you could make wooden caps so it looks like they are pegged in.....

What was the unit cost on the panels?

Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 08:05 AM
    I like the panels they look good, but agree, you have to change those bolts. What kind of finish will you give the panels?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^^
    The wood caps are a good idea and may take care of it if I don't find any bolts I like in Udon.

To answer your question about the cost, "they were too much money." In all seriousness, I purchased these panels over a year ago and they have gone up quite a bit since then. Each 2.5m x 4 meter panel with two windows each were about $1200. I purchased them on line which is probably a lot more money than taking the time to drive over to Phrae to look around and pick them up direct. Since I did not have the time and it is a pain in the ass to transport this type of product in Thailand, I bit the bullet and payed the price.

I also purchased some teak furniture such as a couple of beds, desk, dresser and wardorbe which were more money than one panel, so maybe it was not that bad after all. Does anyone out there know the going rate for panels like these up in the Phrae, Chiang Mai area? I may be interested in buying more in the future. I wanted to panel the entire house, but the budget wouldn't allow it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^^
    As far as a finish goes, I have chosen TAO varnish for outside use. There are many out there that would disagree and say I should only use teak oil, but I did not like using it on my sailboats and have more experience with varnish.

Since the panels will have minimum sun/rain exposure, I should not have to re-apply that often. I like the grain of this would and feel the varnish will accent it best.

Let's hear eveyone's opinion on this since I am sure there are many who like various other teak finishes.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    ^ As its not structural, I would say it depends on the overall look and feel of the house and outdoor furniture. leave it to last thing..though i would oil or wax..

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Just teak oil.
    Had a yacht once with Full teak topsides including decking.
    I tried every thing and ended up leaving as natural finish,
    Everything else I put on ended up failing.

Now I have quite q bit of teak furniture, bed, wardrobe, coffee tables, book shelves.
    All left in natural finish, because they are inside they still look good.
    But I can assure you that anything else will fail because of the natural oil in teak its best to supplement it.
    There can’t be good living where there is not good drinking

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Having owned several sail boats, some with a lot of teak and others with little or none (low-maintenance), I have learned that once you start with varnish you will have to be religious at sanding and reapplying varnish as the sun does its job.

I have known boat owners that use teak oil and others, who do not want to constant maintenance, leave the natural finish that will eventually be a very unattractive dull grey color.

I will probably drag my feet on a final decision even though I have already put two coats of varnish on half of the window frames.

If anyone has pictures of oiled teak that is outside, it would help in my decision. Again, these panels will receive minimal sun exposure, but will be getting a little wet on the front of the house. I need something that will hold up against these types of conditions. Inside the house is not a problem and only a little teak oil will make the furniture look nice for a long time.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    17-07-2018 @ 10:23 AM
    Woodstain would do it clear Matt from rothenbourg. no voq`s like the other wood stains. Otherwise teak oil/tung and shellac to finish natural and cheap. woodstain is by farvthe cheapest 1 can will do 2 coats 20-25m2. you can also get money back from dropping the lid back after use. 500 badt 2 coats 20m2. bargain looks exactly like oil if its clear Matt.
    However always try and see what you think. good luck.
    im hot its so hot today.......milk was a bad choice!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I have decided to use Necron's suggestion to make some wooden caps for the bolts anchoring the teak panels. The neighbor across the road has a teak forest and gave some good pieces of wood to me, so I will be making the caps to cover the metal bolts. It is always nice to have some input from the readers since I would never have come up with that solution.

We had the slab poured yesterday in the middle of a rain storm and everything went well. There was 185 of the 230 square meters to cover and it took 14Q, as the Thais call it, with some concrete left to add to the driveway. The slab was 8-10cm thick. Here is a shot of just before the pour showing the depth references at 8cm.

The first truck arrives just before the rain storm.

Starting the pour (cement and rain).

The little lady checking things out.

Things got a little dark once the storm arrived so I did not take anymore pictures since it would be difficult to see details without good lighting. I will take a few this morning to show the finished product.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 22-04-2012 at 09:41 AM.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    I would go with some kinda stain / oil Rick ,, something that will actually seep into the wood as opposed to varnish sitting on top of it.

I know you prefer varnish but I fear you have a life of hard work in front of you maintaining it .

If you had not decided to cap the bolts with wood I , would have originally used matt black bolts , IMO these look good with wood , I made a hand built solid light oak kitchen once and used all black bolts / door furniture and it really set it off.

BTW without the glasses your lovely wife is the dead spit of mine lol

Good luck mate and thanks for posting the pics and the update
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Thanks Nigel, I agree that using some oil may be better since it does soak into the wood. I just need to test some on the back side of the remaining panels to see what the finished product would look like. I am still concerned with the wood turning grey and covering up the nice looking grain.

I still have time before making a final decision, but that is runnin out and I will have to pull the trigger soon. Purchased some black steel bolts from Global House and they do look better than the silver. The only thing is, they are not treated steel and will rust over time. Too many options and it is not that big of a deal, but I do want to teak panels to look good.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    There's a bolt shop on Phosi Road if you need anything 'special'. I can give you better directions if you need.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    An address would be great Marmite. I still think some brass containing bolts would look better. If all else fails, I will go the wood cap route.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here is the slab the day after it was poured. The team will now start building the interior walls and close in the front.

Laying one of the two rows of block for the front of the house.

The front as of about an hour ago.

The walls and doorway going up in our son's room. This will be a 5m x 5m space with a toilet across the hallway.

Here is the guest bedroom/computer room. It is also 25 m2 and measures the same 5m x 5m.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here is the remaining cement that went into the driveway.

Lord of Swine
    Last Online
    @
    Where's the forklift ramp and mountings for the overhead crane?

Just kidding. With the bits being added its getting some perspective. ETA on the housewarming?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    An address would be great Marmite.
    Not sure we have addresses in Isaan, but if you come in from the ring-road at the Big C junction (Sakhon Nakhon road) and head along Phosi Road towards the train station/UD Town you'll get to a set of traffic lights just before Nong Bua market.

The bolt shop is on the left-hand side about 75metres before these traffic lights. It's a shophouse with a row of plastic 'bus station' chairs outside (I think).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    ETA on the housewarming is some time this year, I hope.

All kidding aside, I am very pleased with the amount of work that has been done so far and hope this pace continues. Now some of the slower details are around the corner like the electrical. I don't think the remaining block work will take long and then the guys can move on the ceiling, tiling, painting and windows/doors.

I would think things might be livable in a couple of more months. The block wall and front gate are way down on the list, as is the landscaping.

If anyone is really interested in a housewarmaing party, PM me and I will start making some plans.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I just returned from Chiang Mai where we purchased our front doors. They are solid teak with a circular leaded glass insert and finished in semi-gloss maple stain. Since acquiring these doors, the finish I will be applying to the teak panels has changed to match the door. Yesterday we went on the hunt for some Berger maple stain and finally found it at Home Pro with a semi-gloss finish. I will be testing a window with a couple of coats to see out it turns out and how close it will match the doors. If all goes well, that will be the finish I use on all the panels as well. The stain also contains UV Polyurethane which eliminates one step.

Stay tuned and I will post some pictures since there has been quite a bit of work that has taken place. We had a nasty rain storm last night, so I will probably wait until tomorrow to post the pics.

Ocean Transient
    Last Online
    06-05-2017 @ 02:55 PM
    Untied from dock. Heading South Down West Coast of Canada.
    Holy krap. This looks like a big house. Makes the paper bag int middle offt road i grew up in look reet small.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    paper bag! paper bag!

when we was lads we had to take turns growing up in a used toilet roll tube

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @

Tis a bit large, but I figured if I was going to try and spend the rest of my days here in Thailand, I did not want to feel clostrophobic. Besides, I think a smallish house would have looked strange on a large pacel of land even though I see it all the time.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information