Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    To give you an idea of the size and layout of the carport/storage, here are a few pics. We had a countertop built which was 4 meters long and contained a sink with faucet and under counter storage. This has worked well when praparing food or washing dishes.

Here is the entrance to the carport and each bay is 4 meters wide. Plenty of room for the Vigo and Yaris.

This pic shows the storage which is 8m x 8m. We tried to line up the window with each other and the door to take advantage of the breeze that is pretty constant from the back of the garage.

All in all, I am pretty happy with this space and see it being used more by the family for cooking and parties than the house. This was another reason for building a larger structure to park the cars. The family seems to like being outside and I will have some peace and quiet once the house is finished.

Last Online
    14-05-2015 @ 10:55 AM
    ^ This covered area where everyone is eating looks great already! Congrats RC, makes me feel good to see someone making it happen. The overall design for the home is pretty cool- Traditional Thai roots, yet modern? Hat's off to ya and continued good luck. Oh, and thanks for your advice on my thread!
    You mentioed California earlier- whereabouts? I'm a NorCal runaway myself- I hope that doesn't set me up for some bashings from other Forum members!

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Born and raised in Southern Cal and worked a lot in the San Diego area. Retired out of a hospital in Porterville, CA but am now a Nevada resident for tax purposes.

Thanks for the post and good luck to you.

Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 07:56 PM
    HI Rick,

Lot's of Luck. Great Pictures.

R.I.P

Last Online
    31-10-2014 @ 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Ben, the 30,000 baht was all in and included the pump and piping needed. I believe the drilling was about 10,000 and the pump that I purchases was the highest capacity one I could find which was not cheap, even in Udon. I considered it very inexpensive since drilling a well in the States cost 10's of thousands of dollars. What did it cost for your well all in?
    Rick, I"m not one to give advise, but don't make the same mistake I did and was warned not to compare any money to your home country. I later learned it's #1 in the "living in another country" handbook. LOL

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks Ralph, I will keep that in mind.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    To start, the carport location was relocated from next to the pond and now sets next to the house. It just seemed to make more sense
    you could have called it a boathose and saved some cash!

what are those columns sitting on, or are they just planted in the holes?

is it solid bedrock at the bottom?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Holes were dug 0.5 meter deep with a cement and steel pad at the bottom. Once a footing was dug and layed with steel, all was filled with concrete. By not using tiles for the roof, my thought was to extend the distance between the posts due to the reduction in total weight. The same logic was applied to the house. I don't think it sets on bedrock, but is a very hard compacted clay-like dirt.

Good to hear from you again Dr. A and I welcome any thoughts.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 22-03-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Flash forward again to present day. Most of the steel has been finished. There will be more at the back of the house to cover the sala/patio. This is a view of the southern wall and will comprise of two bedrooms and a bathroom. The master bedroom is at the other end of the house which should be the coolest.

This is the front of the house with the longer overhang covering the front bathroom.

Looking at the front again with the first square space being the bathroom and the next two are bedrooms. The block at the rear of the house marks the 1 meter level that is being filled with dirt as I write this.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Front bathroom with the carport/storage in the background. To the left of the bathroom will be the entrance to the house.

The front of the house from the northwest corner. Far left will be the living/sitting room. The posts have been spaced 2.5 meters apart and will house teak panels that measure 2.5m x 4m. There will be four panels on each side of the house and are more for effect than practicality. There will be a second block wall on the inside to assure good strength and insulation.

The northwest corner of the house. The master bedroom is at the northeast corner of the house since it will receive the least amount of sun.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 22-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    The back of the house facing the 4 rai of land. The appendage is slated to be a Thai kitchen.

The back of the house that will be a covered sala/patio. Since we have a good contstant breeze from the land, this should be a very cool place to spend time.

The view of the 4 rai from the back sala/patio.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 22-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Great pics and updates Rick thanks for taking the trouble ,, I have to say it looks nicej and quiet there ' mabe a tad too remote for my liking but I expect you've got a caretaker Sussed for when you go away. All the best matey

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Yes, nice and quiet. I sold my place in Samui because it was too crowded and too much construction for me. The prices were also inflated. Moved up to the NE where the cost of living is much more reasonable and I am only about 11km from Udon.

The storage area doubles as living quarters for one of the brothers that will be the caretaker. He enjoys landscaping and planting so he is excited to have a place to call his own and work outside. The entire family are very neat and tidy and always cleaning which is a plus. It is the way their mother brought them up.

Each to his own, I say and I will be taking many trips once the house is completed. Personally, I would not do well in a city and probably get into too much trouble.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Sounds good mate , hope to come and say hello one day when were back over , were in udon for the next few days then back to the uk to earn some more dough

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    You are welcome anytime. PM me when you are back and I can give you a location and cell number. Good luck in the UK.

Last Online
    27-12-2020 @ 10:46 PM
    It looks very nice indeed - you are not the only one to wish for peace and quiet place! Jew and I are living 70 km east of Udon, fantastic area. Good luck with the building ;-)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks jks.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    I haven't received very many comments or thoughts on the building quality yet and I am sure there are some flaws that can be seen. Please feel free to bash away since I have nothing against constructive criticism. There are reasons for choosing some of the building solutions and I am sure others could learn from those who have more experience than myself.

Last Online
    I haven't received very many comments or thoughts on the building quality yet and I am sure there are some flaws that can be seen. Please feel free to bash away since I have nothing against constructive criticism. There are reasons for choosing some of the building solutions and I am sure others could learn from those who have more experience than myself.
    Well it looks same same thai style as many others and our house so it is what it is, follow it closely and be sure to let them know if you feel something is wrong! I can remember a few thing gone wrong with our building, one particular is they save glue on the blue pipes for water - so one night a stream of water came out on the bathroom from the wall last year! Had to brake down some of the wall to get in to the pipe - please make sure pipe fittings is strong ;-)
    - mai pen rai cos TIT

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Yes, very good advice. I have had a couple of friend's plumbing leak due to the same reason. One had to tear up a wall because his builder ran all the pipes through them. I do not intend to repeat that mistake since all pipes will be run outside and buried next to the foundation for easy access. If they used copper pipe here in Thailand, there would not be much of an issue, but pvc has its issues.

Last Online
    ^
    Yes, very good advice. I have had a couple of friend's plumbing leak due to the same reason. One had to tear up a wall because his builder ran all the pipes through them. I do not intend to repeat that mistake since all pipes will be run outside and buried next to the foundation for easy access. If they used copper pipe here in Thailand, there would not be much of an issue, but pvc has its issues.

Indeed, but pvc is okay - our pipes goes up inside the wall and its not to my liking but could not do anything. Oh and another issue that went wrong in our house was the kitchen table in concrete! It's okay and solid BUT the thai.s made it high cos I am so tall. So the kitchen table, which I do not intend to use cos I do not know what to do in a kitchen (besides making coffee)! I am 185 cm tall and the hight is okay for me - but my missus is 149 cm so she still has to sit on the floor when preparing food (she might do that anyway!) but I would like it changed .... so now we have to rip it down again and build new - I hate that! But TIT - I do not know what part of the brain they use when thinking, certainly not the big brain ;-)

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    Yes, they seem to build everything to their own liking which means all counters are made too short so that they can sit on the floor or squat. Luckily, my brother-in-law always checks with me first to make sure things are to my liking. If I had hired a builder, I probably would have wound up doing the same thing you have to do and tear it out and start over. Having more control over workers will save money in re-dos. Just another hint for those thinking about building here in Thailand. It has been mentioned many times to be on sight and watch what is going on and this is a perfect example of why. Of course if your builder listens to your requests and then just builds it the way he wants, I would get a new builder.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Here is the first load of 5000 small red brick that will make up the inside row of the house perimeter. As I mentioned earlier, I had thought a long time on using Superblock or Q-con but ultimately was not confident that it would be installed correctly by my crew even though it does have a good R factor.

My final decision is to use two rows of block with the outside being the normal 4 baht concrete blocks with the inside being the small red brick. There will be an air space between the two which decreases the amount of heat transfered from the outside row of block. I am sure there will be a lot of you that disagree, but if I was having experienced installers do the Q-con, I probably would have gone that route. The red brick is also a much stronger wall than the Q-con overall and the two rows of block should give me decent insulation.

For those of you wanting to use Superblock or Q-Con, there are many threads on this site covering those products. They are prone to cracking if not installed correctly. There will always be cracking in any build, but it is my understanding that the red brick has the least.

Here is the red brick beginning to be layed on the inside row of the outside walls.

The steel for the patio has been primered and the remaining support posts were delivered yesterday.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Looking good mate , no insulation between the bricks and blocks ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    ^
    I have been tossing that idea around for awhile and have not made a final decision yet. If my memory serves me, there was not a lot of gain in R factor by adding the insulation but it may be worth a try on the south wall. It is yet another thing most Thais are unfamiliar with, but is very easy to do and the cost is minimal. If I take another trip into Global House soon, I will price the fiberglass insulation. I hear the foam is a little spendy and would require a sub to come out and do the job.

Anyone else have any good articles on R factor that compares single brick with double and an air space? Fibergalss or other insulation between two rows of block helps and I believe the R factor was actually better than Q-con alone.
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 25-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread Information