Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by chitown View Post
    All I want is ONE small piece of land with a house on that my wife AND I own. If we divorce, then I want half of the sale price EVEN if I paid for every baht of it.
    If you have proof that the funds have come from your resources, you can.
    A guy here brought a house, put it in his GF's name, when they split she went to sell, he contested it in court was awarded half of the proceeds.

My kind of town
    Last Online
    @
    I do not want to have to contest it. It should be law that if we buy a house together, we split the proceeds if we divorce and sell. If my name was on the deed, it could not be sold until I signed off on it.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    you can get your name on the Chanot, no problem

your wife will not be able to sell without your signature

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by tomta
    I don't think that this policy is at all designed to protect the poor or the general masses of citizens. What it does instead is allow the local elite to control the property market and to keep the prices at levels which suit them. Put it this way, foreigners are graciously allowed to buy condos which means that they're buying in an artificially restricted market. This means that the prices are higher than they might otherwise be. On the other hand, this same foreigner is excluded from bidding for the foreclosed land of some Isaan peasant. Or a simple Bangkok house. This allows the local despot a free and clear run at getting that land at an artificially cheap price.
    I don't think that it is anything to do with either, it is just plain nationalism

The Uk used to have a similar law but decided to let foreigners buy into the market. Prices did not go up because of that, except possibly in some more expensive areas

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    29-01-2013 @ 05:54 PM
    They are brainwashed from kindergarten school all the way through their education and beyond that Thailand is for Thais.
    Not to mention the xenophobic out look of their governments past and present, and I mean all their governments, all Thai political parties have the same plan concerning keeping falang/foreigners from having any rights in Thailand.

The saying in Thailand don,t spend any more than you would consider walking away from is very apt.

I cannot see anything concerning land or house ownership changing, it will certainly not change to suit the foreigner living in Thailand. As for a foreigner owning one small piece of land to build your house for you and your family. Its not going to happen as the Thais will have then lost control.

Its not a bad place to live,the big problem is that they can change the rules whenever they like, and as far as the Thai government is concerned all falang are the same..
    "Don,t f*ck with the baldies*

Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    The Uk used to have a similar law but decided to let foreigners buy into the market. Prices did not go up because of that, except possibly in some more expensive areas
    You fail to account for the back fill underneath all the "foreigners" purchases. The whole market was driven beyond sanity by the "assumed" never ending bank of bricks and mortar.

The bread and butter of the UK housing market has been cut off at the knees by the prices being pushed further away from the new buyers due to high prices, high deposit requirements and accumulated education debts.

I suspect the US market is equally neutered.

The opening up of land sales to foreign investors would cause a similar inflation to the detriment of the local Thai population.

If you want to "invest" in land and property speculation in Thailand, start a company and pay the taxes. I believe you can achieve the near 50/50 split that way. I am not sure of the "returns" but others here may have some data on the levels achieved.
    Last edited by OhOh; 23-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by can123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alwarner View Post
    I wonder how many farangs would put their name on a birth certificate to get a 12month visa? My guess is virtually none. However I bet there are plenty more that would get married for the same reason. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it tougher for people without kids to reside here? But then you'd lose out on "the grey baht" I suppose. I'm very much live and let live but why should I be forced to get married to be able to live with my son in the country of his birth AT?
    Why do you have children out of wedlock and think that your totally irresponsible behaviour should be rewarded ? No country really wants men like you.

Ha ha I wondered if you might turn up in this thead. Didn't have you down as a bible basher, probably explains your ignorance though.

"No country really wants men like you"

What men of working age who provide for their families? I guess they'd rather have your baht, what have you got left to live another 5 or 10 years? Then you get to be burnt here and all your money from teaching English grammar can remain in the country.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    21-09-2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by can123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post
    ^Wait a minute, making sure that the world knows you are the kid's father is irresponsible behavior? Wouldn't that be running off and denying paternity?
    To deny paternity would be even worse behaviour. I could not deny a child and I could not treat a woman like dirt either.Some of us have standards of decency which we do not lower.
    Why is being in a relationship but not being married treating either the child or the woman like shit?

And nigelandjan I'm surprised at you, equating my Mrs. to a single mother because we aren't married. I bet you read the Daily Mail and nearly marry women after visiting them twice which is ever so responsible, eh?

Whopping Member
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh
    The opening up of land sales to foreign investors...
    I don't give a flying one about foreign investors. But for people who've put down deep roots here, y'know like getting married, starting a family and buying land for their spouses and kids to live on, being a legal owner of that land is not too much to ask for, is it?
    The sleep of reason brings forth monsters.

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    you can get your name on the Chanot, no problem

your wife will not be able to sell without your signature
    Correct. I believe many are truly unaware of this.
    Depending on each situation, one can be named on multi-chanotes....land-holdings and principle properties.

Retaining a decent and knowledgeable Thai lawyer would be suggested if their is sizeable properties involved.

Banned

Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaaa View Post
    The opening up of land sales to foreign investors...
    I don't give a flying one about foreign investors. But for people who've put down deep roots here, y'know like getting married, starting a family and buying land for their spouses and kids to live on, being a legal owner of that land is not too much to ask for, is it?
    Agreed. Yet, the authorities won't find these simple things in a social and familial manner - in which they are.

It all comes down to politics and suppressive bureaucracy which has become a cornerstone of existences.....most everywhere.

Empathies extended. As most relate and understand.

ความสุขในอีสาน
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by alwarner
    And nigelandjan I'm surprised at you, equating my Mrs. to a single mother because we aren't married. I bet you read the Daily Mail and nearly marry women after visiting them twice which is ever so responsible, eh?
    That was not aimed at your wife ,, I was making remarks about how it is in the UK , what I see on a daily basis as I travel round earning more money to pay more tax to keep em.

BTW there was a program on radio 4 last week about the length of survivable marriages as opposed to people meeting a couple of times being happy with their lot and going off to the register office , and those having year after year engagements huge expensive show weddings ,, and yes the cheap and cheerful ones came out tops.

As I said before my first marriage lasted nearly 30 years after a couple of meets ,, if your happy and it feels right go for it , ( if you want to ) if not keep looking for your nirvana
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    Quote Originally Posted by thehighlander959
    it will certainly not change to suit the foreigner living in Thailand.
    no but the government may suddenly realise that foreigners investing in Thai land is a good thing - they will realise the money comes in and the land stays put

win win
    The bread and butter of the UK housing market has been cut off at the knees by the prices being pushed further away from the new buyers due to high prices, high deposit requirements and accumulated education debts.
    sure, but nothing to do with foreign investment in housing, that is so minimal by comparison

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information