Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    My kind of town
    Last Online
    @

Is this true? New visa rules for foreign fathers of Thai children

I just had this forwarded to me and wondered if it was true or not. If is, is yet another example, of what the Thai government really thinks of farangs. I guess you can't live here and support and care for your Thai children.

Or am I getting this wrong?

It is being talked about on the Nazi channel at the moment too.

Please note that it is no longer possible to obtain a non immigrant visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or from any of the Royal Thai Consulates in the UK on the basis that you are the father of a child living in Thailand even if you possess the child's birth certificate which shows you as the father. To be eligible to apply for this type of visa you must also be married to the mother of the child and have an official marriage certificate." Alan P Taylor Hon Consul Royal Thai Consulate

Last Online
    @

Not again

I really dislike these w@nkers now.

Last year i got refused an o Visa because i only had our child`s passports and not her birth certificate.I am flying back to blighty in 3 weeks to reapply for an o visa.Well it looks like i am screwed again.Time to sell the house here and move the money out of Thailand.
    I hope this is a joke,but i also saw it on the other forum.

Scum bags

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-04-2020 @ 05:52 PM
    What the fuck?

I got that visa based on being a father here in Thailand a few months ago. We live together as a family and I am spending all my money earned in pounds in Thailand.

Marriage should be made illegal. And religion... Anybody found practising religion should be shot.

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    Oh well, I can get my retirement visa in 11 months.

Or will they move those goal posts as well??

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    16-02-2015 @ 12:11 PM
    They dont want the non Thai here have you not worked it out yet people , just send the money.

Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 03:27 PM
    I think that law/rule, if it is real, was made because many men get their name put on a birth certificate just so they can get a visa to live in Thailand and remain single. They don't support the child and don't care who the father really was. Just another loophole being closed by Thai Immigration.

However, if you are the common law husband of a Thai woman and the child is yours, sounds to me likes it's time to get married. On the other hand maybe you can't get legally married because you are married to someone else - this new rule could cause complications.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    13-04-2020 @ 05:52 PM
    ^ What if you dont believe in marriage?

Sounds like it is time to consider moving to a country that would be more inviting to spending my money there.

Actually just means that I will have to start doing visa trips to PP once every time I am back from work .... Quite a good night out to be had in PP so it might not be a bad thing.

Last Online
    26-01-2013 @ 10:04 PM
    I was talking to a Thai the other day about this kind of thing.
    I told him I was in Cambodia the other week talking to a guy who
    had been there 20 years, and who had said how easy the visa process
    was there compared to Thailand.
    I added that the process in the Philippines was pretty painless also.

He said, (and I'm paraphrasing here) -
    "You Farangs think that the immigration issues are all about you.
    Cambodia and the Philippines, don’t have Nigerians selling drugs on
    their streets, Russian hookers, mad Iranian bombers, hordes of foreigners
    waiting to buy up all of Thailand
    We can’t make special rules just for you guys.
    Everybody wants to come to Thailand".

I couldn’t be bothered debating it with him, I could see he felt like
    he and his beloved Thailand where under siege.
    You know nothing Jon Snow.

My kind of town
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by rawlins View Post
    What the fuck?I got that visa based on being a father here in Thailand a few months ago. We live together as a family and I am spending all my money earned in pounds in Thailand.
    The Thai xenophobes do not care. You and I are scummy outsiders. Farang mai dee!

My kind of town
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    Oh well, I can get my retirement visa in 11 months.

Or will they move those goal posts as well??
    Is the pope catholic?

My kind of town
    Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by nevets View Post
    They dont want the non Thai here have you not worked it out yet people , just send the money.
    Insecure Thai men making the rules. For obvious reasons (that they can't see), their women do not want them and it drives them bananas. I am constantly asked by Thai men why "Thai lady like farang?"

Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    I agree with the rules, and if the UK enforced similar regarding foreigners, it wouldn't be as fucked up as it is and i wouldn't be living in Thailand!

Tonguin for a beer
    Last Online
    25-09-2016 @ 09:58 PM
    what if you have a child but are divorced from the mother?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chitown
    Is the pope catholic?
    No, he is Roman Catholic.
    Catholic means universal.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow
    He said, (and I'm paraphrasing here) - "You Farangs think that the immigration issues are all about you. Cambodia and the Philippines, don’t have Nigerians selling drugs on their streets, Russian hookers, mad Iranian bombers, hordes of foreigners waiting to buy up all of Thailand We can’t make special rules just for you guys. Everybody wants to come to Thailand".
    A fair point (unless you're blinkered).

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    "Everybody wants to come to Thailand".
    Do they ever pause and wonder why that is? Oh, the temples and the lovely beaches and national parks. Right.

Thanks for starting the thread here, Chi. A friend of mine forwarded me the post from the Nazi Channel and I started posting there, because I thought the only way it made sense would be to post content from that god-awful forum. I see I was wrong.

I think this is mostly a minor tempest in a teapot, and enforcement will be consulate-specific, as usual.
    “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” Dorothy Parker

R.I.P.

Last Online
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by chitown
    I guess you can't live here and support and care for your Thai children.
    Maybe doing it the Thai way, your parents can get a non immigrant visa to look after your child

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^

Philippine Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Even though I was on a visa here in the Philippines that only required me to leave once a year, this is precisely why I decided to go through the hassle of getting Permanent Resident status - with the stroke of a pen they can change the rules and screw your entire life.

Thailand Expat

Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 AM
    The fundamental difference between the Thai and most other western immigration policies is that irrespective of category only a miniscule number of those who settle here actually obtain permanent residence. It's therefore a little illogical to foist even more obstacles upon farang who had previously qualified for a visa simply to close a loophole. A loophole into what? There is no material or social benefit to be gained by choosing to live in Thailand and certainly very few, if any, acquire any rights as a consequence. Farang don't compete with the Thai and their interests aren't threatened by our presence.

The sad thing about this state of affairs is that had the Thai permitted true inward migration, free competition etc perhaps the foolishness of the place might not be so pronounced. But then, look at Greece?

Actually, I know of no other country that permits a long stay on the basis of the care of a child born out of wedlock, unless it was in the most exceptional of circumstances, so I suppose Thailand is just getting in step. Perhaps the Thai are having a problem and their statistics are showing many undesirables they are encountering had gained temporary settlement on the basis of caring for a bastard?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    "I know of no other country that permits a long stay on the basis of the care of a child born out of wedlock. . ." The problem isn't so much that as the Thai government not only doesn't confer any rights upon the foreign spouse, it also imposes a burden upon the Thai national if she wishes to purchase property. There is no incentive to marry a Thai in the event a child is conceived, but rather it makes more sense not to, even, perhaps particularly, if one wants to buy a house for the mother and child to live in.

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    @
    Thailand is for Thais.

And 2 week tourists spending lots of cash then going home to tell everyone how wonderful Thailand is.

They don't like you, and they don't want you living here.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    The OP from TV.

We have received this message from The Hon Consul at the Royal Thai Consulate Hull.

Dear News Editor

I would be obliged if you would post the following message from the Royal Thai Consulate, Hull UK regarding the Expat Forum Topic "Non Imm Visa When You Have Thai Child":-

"Message from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull (UK).
    Please note that it is no longer possible to obtain a non immigrant visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or from any of the Royal Thai Consulates in the UK on the basis that you are the father of a child living in Thailand even if you possess the child's birth certificate which shows you as the father. To be eligible to apply for this type of visa you must also be married to the mother of the child and have an official marriage certificate."

Can you also please inform your readers that they must never post their passport from Thailand to any other country for any reason because there will not be any evidence in their passport to show that they exited Thailand.

Thank you and kind regards

Alan P Taylor
    Hon Consul
    Royal Thai consulate
    4 Priory Cour
    Saxon Way
    Hessle
    HULL
    HU13 9PB
    Last edited by Bangyai; 21-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.

loob lor geezer
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    So if this directive is from the Hull Consulate it is not so surprising. People are always bragging on TV about what a soft touch Hull is and how easy it is to get a non imm visa from them , bending the rules if necessary. It was inevitable that one day the gravy train would run in to molasses and now it seems it has a bit.

If you are onto a good thing , don't brag about it on the net

PS

It might just be an innitiative of the Hull embassy and not the official immigration line ?

Thailand Expat
    Last Online
    ^In other words, Hull might be covering their asses.

One odd twist to this situation is that the foreign father's name can be on the hospital notice of birth and the birth certificate, and the foreign father's last name can be legally conferred upon his Thai offspring (kind of strange to call a child a "bastard" when he has his father's last name, but of course it's safe to use such quaint expressions on Internet forum, if not in person), but unless the parents have registered the marriage legal paternity is not established. The child can have a Thai passport and ID card with his or her farang father's last name, but paternity is not officially established unless the parents are married, despite the fact that a child born to a married woman is often not the offspring of her husband (in the West as well as in Thailand).

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information